Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Be prepared to prepare for preparation to prepare for the launch preparation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
If Microsoft would stop being lovely and let someone sell me a loving functioning digital copy of Freelancer, I could scratch my casual spaceship addiction.

Kairo, could you possibly distract the gibbering hordes (myself included) with more pictures of spaceships? I really like the Foss/Hay/Elson/Moore/Mead vibe you've got going on. If there's any chance you had a few iterations of the same ship over time, that would be even cooler, because the progress from Flotilla-like to drastically more detailed has been fun to watch.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The Freelancer mod scene was crazy too, I wonder if a good chunk of them have survived

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rabhadh posted:

The Freelancer mod scene was crazy too, I wonder if a good chunk of them have survived

They're still active and releasing stuff.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The thread has reached critical mass and will implode any minute now.

Unless Kairo posts an update we are all doomed.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Well, he did retweet the new Battletech game Harebrained Studios is doing. Does that count?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Tanith posted:

If Microsoft would stop being lovely and let someone sell me a loving functioning digital copy of Freelancer, I could scratch my casual spaceship addiction.

Kairo, could you possibly distract the gibbering hordes (myself included) with more pictures of spaceships? I really like the Foss/Hay/Elson/Moore/Mead vibe you've got going on. If there's any chance you had a few iterations of the same ship over time, that would be even cooler, because the progress from Flotilla-like to drastically more detailed has been fun to watch.

http://www.gog.com/game/independence_war_2

Here you go, a better game than Freelancer

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Bolow posted:

:mad:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I-War 2 is the best. :allears:

At least until this game comes out. IF it ever does. :v:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Truth hurts :dealwithit:

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I-War 2 is the best. :allears:

At least until this game comes out. IF it ever does. :v:

I-War 2 is the best, but the last time I played, there was a scripting error in one of the story missions that caused a crash to desktop whenever I tried to play it. Made me sad :(

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RangerKarl posted:

Well, he did retweet the new Battletech game Harebrained Studios is doing. Does that count?

The what now? The Battletech IP got into the hands of people who aren't terrible shitters?! Oh man. If only I had seen this before work so I could search it up.

I'd totally play a batteltech game in a more robust version of their Shadowrun system. :allears:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Bolow posted:

Already own it, and it doesn't have John Rhys-Davies voice acting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tanith posted:

It does have being able to destroy a massive space station by accelerating a cargo container of twinkies to a few kilometers a second and throwing it at the station.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Zaodai posted:

I'd totally play a batteltech game in a more robust version of their Shadowrun system. :allears:

Listen, chummer, I have a subdermal PPC that says you've got a Johnson who's got it in for my crew. Talk, and I won't have shut you down like a Madcat that skimped on the heatsinks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

I was murdered to death in a Freelancer multiplayer server not two months ago.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Tanith posted:

Well if you want good voice acting too you should play

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32760/

:v:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

vmdvr posted:

I-War 2 is the best, but the last time I played, there was a scripting error in one of the story missions that caused a crash to desktop whenever I tried to play it. Made me sad :(

Was it this one? http://www.gog.com/forum/independence_war_series/iw2_act_2_dagda_crash

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Oh hey, a certain game developer re-tweeted this earlier today, Looks neat!

http://store.steampowered.com//app/381020

"A simple, accessible-yet-difficult, fwooshy, "feel good" arcade flight simulator. Blow things up over land, sea, and air, on an infinite number of procedurally-generated islands. Choose one of a diverse set of aeros and kit it out with a dizzying array of weaponry. Go toe-to-toe with enemy aces or assault giant flying aircraft carriers and battleships, but watch out for volleys of missiles; when you die, you're dead."

If anyone has tried it, please share your thoughts! :haw:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Flying? In an atmosphere? Gross.

You'll get molecules all over the hull.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Thyrork posted:

I played one of the earlier betas, and it was pretty good! The worst I could say is that the menus and UI were really clunky, but it's a minor complaint. It was extremely satisfying to shoot down a combatant or airship and watch them fall into a slow spin into the ocean.

AIRSHIPS :black101:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thyrork posted:

"A simple, accessible-yet-difficult, fwooshy, "feel good" arcade flight simulator. Blow things up over land, sea, and air, on an infinite number of procedurally-generated islands. Choose one of a diverse set of aeros and kit it out with a dizzying array of weaponry. Go toe-to-toe with enemy aces or assault giant flying aircraft carriers and battleships, but watch out for volleys of missiles; when you die, you're dead."

Took the plunge, and it's a pretty good arcade flying game.

It's pretty straightforward: You receive a mission to destroy some stuff and then go around and shoot missiles at them until they explode, while dodging fire from AA turrets and other aircraft. You can land on your flying aircraft carrier or land bases to repair. The mission ends when you destroy your objectives and lands back at your carrier, so you can destroy everything on the map for more money. The flight controls are OK, I guess, it felt a bit sluggish at first, but that was just the starting aircraft.

Money is used to research new aircraft and weapons which you can then customize their loadouts. I only managed to unlock a select few of them, so I don't know how they play together in the end, but it seems balanced enough so far.

My two biggest problems is, firstly, that everything except the enemy aircraft takes way too long to destroy. I don't have any way of knowing if it was because of the starting weapons, but because of that, the game got a bit repetitive. Secondly, the GUI needs a little more work in the way of showing relevant stats of the things you want to research, for example, the cost of equipping certain items. A tech tree or a master list of planes and weapons would be nice as well.

That said, the Early Access blurb is mentioning specifically that they are working on a better progression curve, so it has that going for it. All in all, if you really want some arcade shooter while ES isn't out, then I think this could tide you over, provided you can live with the fact that there's air molecules hitting your hull all the goddam time. And that ramming isn't a viable option.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Thyrork posted:

Game owns because its super quick and easy to get in the game and blow poo poo up. If you've equipped some items you've researched and bought, don't die as it'll be lost and you'll have to pay again to re-equip them.

Would love to see MP online, but it does have split screen.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Joystick support is pretty iffy unless you have an XBox controller (cue at least one person expressing disgust at the few who don't). Better joystick compatibility is on the to do list, though.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

That's the one! I'll have to try some of those strategies to see any of them work. Assuming I still have a savegame at that point.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

vmdvr posted:

That's the one! I'll have to try some of those strategies to see any of them work. Assuming I still have a savegame at that point.

Good luck! Let me know if anything solid works, I quit in the early game because I was starting to get into it and didn't want to hit a damned wall with the main campaign.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sky Rogue owns but it is definitely a roguelike, not a lot going on. Great for playing a few times in half an hour or something but don't expect to be engrossed into anything.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
http://enemystarfighter.com/blog/2015/7/30/81-update

We're getting there boys, slow and steady.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Yesssss... :black101:
Cannot. loving. Wait.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Kairo posted:

is ready for Early Access.

So? Why don't I see it on steam yet? :colbert:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Really happy to see he'll be supporting the DS4, even if I have a flightstick begging to be used.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Except for the different button labels, I really can't see how different the control scheme would be vs a 360 pad.

Unless he managed to do something fancy with the speakers or the touchpad.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

HardDisk posted:

Except for the different button labels, I really can't see how different the control scheme would be vs a 360 pad.

Unless he managed to do something fancy with the speakers or the touchpad.

Having looked at the screenshots, I think he's done something clever with generic icons which should work for either pad.
The issue presumably is the whole DirectInput VS xInput thing they have going on behind the scenes...

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
My sister's boyfriend just loaned me his flight stick thing. 'Madcats fly5', it's called. Please release the game soon. Downloading X3 in the meantime but yours still looks better.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Seems like Kairo's been messing with various flavors of mousejoy, but it looks like we're getting the standard iteration of it. Might wanna reach out to some of them Diaspora folk or something regarding that maybe

Orv
May 4, 2011
Update or riot.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Orv posted:

Update Immediate release or riot.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

CBN_Shaggy
Aug 6, 2001

WHAMMIED! :(
The natives are getting restless. Quick, you might be able to distract us them with a shiny video or maybe a livestream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

• Locked thread