Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
who do i have to blow around here to get a mod to download from the workshop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strudel Man posted:

Seems like it'd be pretty simple to a) make the AI take seduction much more rarely, b) implement a meaningful cooldown between affairs, or c) both. Don't know why they don't.

Don't forget d) give seduction a fail state. One of the biggest problems with vanilla Seduction (as anyone who plays female rulers notices) is that even the most unsuitable suitors don't just take the hint and gently caress off, and will usually roll high enough to succeed after enough attempts, so you will, surprisingly often, get the Princess of the Known World cheating on her husband with Baron Whoever of Swamp Castle.

Seduction and Intrigue are the only WoL focuses we felt the need to change significantly for Plus and we really had to do all of the above to Seduction, but it's all doable in event scripting and I'm surprised Paradox hasn't (unless they secretly love reading the countless whine threads about it on their forums, something which I frankly wouldn't blame them for, some of them are really funny.)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dallan Invictus posted:

Don't forget d) give seduction a fail state. One of the biggest problems with vanilla Seduction (as anyone who plays female rulers notices) is that even the most unsuitable suitors don't just take the hint and gently caress off, and will usually roll high enough to succeed after enough attempts, so you will, surprisingly often, get the Princess of the Known World cheating on her husband with Baron Whoever of Swamp Castle.

Seduction and Intrigue are the only WoL focuses we felt the need to change significantly for Plus and we really had to do all of the above to Seduction, but it's all doable in event scripting and I'm surprised Paradox hasn't (unless they secretly love reading the countless whine threads about it on their forums, something which I frankly wouldn't blame them for, some of them are really funny.)
Ah. Yeah, that's a fair point as well - after they stack up three "repelled" modifiers or so, it probably ought to terminate and kick them into unseducable for at least a while.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Pakled posted:

Way Of Life in general needs a rework. I think every focus should have some kind of unique action you can take on provinces or characters. As it stands, a lot of the ways of life seem to have very little effect since other than the stat increases you're relying on RNG to deliver the unique events. Hunting is alright because the events you get from that are common enough you typically see the effect every time you take it, but like, Business and Scholarship you can go a whole lifetime and never see any events from it.

For Scholarship you have to take the Build an Observation Tower decision before you'll get the relevant event chain. Which is pretty awesome but not especially useful.

Most of the focuses at least give you interesting options. Theology and Family are the ones that have no useful or interesting purpose I can divine (The +health from Family is nice but Hunting gives the same thing and adds more options). Taking War to duel people is cool but (a) the restrictions on who you can duel are overly tight and (b) you'll probably get killed.

I'm gonna dig around in the files and see what I can do to tone Seduction down. I'd legit pay for a mod that does it well (CK2+ probably does but I don't especially want an overhaul mod.)

A great start would be that trying to seduce someone results in a significant chance both of them refusing, and of them alerting your spouse and/or liege. With the spouse actually able to do something about it when he finds out someone's been loving his wife (automatically becoming a valid dueling target with a big prestige penalty if he refuses the duel would be a no-brainer; also probably a "I want this motherfucker in my dungeon" CB.)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 29, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Eric the Mauve posted:

For Scholarship you have to take the Build an Observation Tower decision before you'll get the relevant event chain. Which is pretty awesome but not especially useful.

Most of the focuses at least give you interesting options. Theology and Family are the ones that have no useful or interesting purpose I can divine (The +health from Family is nice but Hunting gives the same thing and adds more options). Taking War to duel people is cool but (a) the restrictions on who you can duel are overly tight and (b) you'll probably get killed.

I'm gonna dig around in the files and see what I can do to tone Seduction down. I'd legit pay for a mod that does it well (CK2+ probably does but I don't especially want an overhaul mod.)

A great start would be that trying to seduce someone results in a significant chance both of them refusing, and of them alerting your spouse and/or liege. With the spouse actually able to do something about it when he finds out someone's been loving his wife (automatically becoming a valid dueling target with a big prestige penalty if he refuses the duel would be a no-brainer; also probably a "I want this motherfucker in my dungeon" CB.)

The one thing I've noticed from Theology is that it occasionally gives me a relationship boost event with my court chaplain. About once or twice per lifetime. So yeah, not especially interesting.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Eric the Mauve posted:

Whoa, no, family is great. Fertility boost, plus the stacking modifier gives you even more fertility.

Theology can let you go heretic if you enter it as zealous.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

True, there is that, for the times you need an heir yesterday.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pakled posted:

The one thing I've noticed from Theology is that it occasionally gives me a relationship boost event with my court chaplain. About once or twice per lifetime. So yeah, not especially interesting.

It also gives you friendships with random church vassals, and gives you an event to travel X holy place, where you make a random friend.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The problem as far as I can tell is that even though seductions go through random chances of success depending on target opinion and traits (the target makes a weighted choice based on opinion and traits), the events fire like once a month (~20 + 20 days random it seems, longer for more distant targets), so a seducer gets a TON of chances. And they generally don't appear to quit it seems. So give it enough time and their target WILL get knocked up since the target will roll a positive to accept eventually.

Rather than doing any extensive restructuring, I'm seeing if just reducing the base chance of a target accepting a seduce attempt by half has any affect. Failures reduce opinion, so hopefully that results in a death spiral of failed attempts.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
since steam isnt letting me download ck2 mods from the workshop (so stupid...), i just went and lowered the odds of the ai picking seduction to like 5, from 75. next time ill play a greek so i can castrate these idiots

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Would female patrician enabled Republics be able to do matri marriages though? I thought that was the hard-coded aspect - like with Muslims you could always enable female succession, but doing so would lead to a game over within a generation because you wouldn't have the ability to produce an heir of your dynasty (although I suppose you can sidestep that now with seduction focus and producing a bunch of bastards).
You can enable matri marriages for republics now, just flip the switch in the government definition file. Of course, AI patricians generally won't use it.

If you want female ruled republics, you have to modify a few more things
- enable gender laws in government definition
- edit the gender laws so that they're available to pick

Then you can have female patricians, though the UI will bug out and will always display what would have been your male heir. However, succession does work correctly and will go to a female heir if appropriate. Also, might want to edit titles so you can hand out designated heir to females as well.

And again, the AI generally won't use that.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
do capital province military advances affect retinues?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheMcD posted:

Seduction really is FUBAR. It needs a complete rework or needs to be lobotomized. If you're on a first name basis with the Pope because you drop by every year or so to get a divorce because your wife is once again loving somebody else behind your back just like the other X-1 wives before her, something has gone wrong.

No, it's fine. Someone just has to invent the chastity belt a few hundred years early. Let you secure your wives and daughters for a -10 opinion malus.

Hmm, make that -20.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Doctor Schnabel posted:

i look out the window for ONE loving SECOND after raising up a fresh 16 year old AND DOING RIGHT BY HER and when i look back shes getting RAILED by TWO RANDOM SHMUCKS

My 16-year-old Queen of The Valley is already pregnant half a year after her birthday and her betrothed is still 12. This should be interesting.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

GSD posted:

Byzantium in Denmark. :psyduck:

This actually sort of fitting since the Greek royal family is mostly Danish. Greece hasn't had a king since 1973 though so he, and the rest of the family, mostly just hang around with their relatives who are the Danish royal family.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
So. Am playing a shattered world Charlemagne start. About 400 years in the Pope calls a crusade.
For Mongolia. I don't have HL yet so these poor saps are still tribal. Did they rework the Crusade weights? Sweden is still Germanic and Ruthenia is HUGE and Slavic, taking up their dejure as well as some of Rus and Lithuania. Seems odd Jesus needs the rear end end of the map.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

As Venice, I took War to duel and murder the shmuck Emperor of Byzantium and left the empire in the hands of his infant child after getting caught assassinating his dad made me his rival. It's a pretty useful tool.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm liking Geheimnisnacht or however it's spelt, but god drat does it run slowly. There's probably a point where modders (and Paradox themselves) should say "okay slow enough now".

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Haha these things are great, you can imagine people being like "Hmmm, I reckon we can still manage it, lets chance it but go slowly,"

e: the people who made it don't seem to know where a vagina goes but thats not surprising

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Give CK2 the diplomatic insult CB. All it does is give you like 100 prestige and imprisons the target.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Larry Parrish posted:

Give CK2 the diplomatic insult CB. All it does is give you like 100 prestige and imprisons the target.

There is the rival CB. Only time I've used it was when I failed a trade mission even though I did everything right. Stupid lovely little Nubian count, you don't gently caress with the Doge when he wants to make some (more) money.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nopantsjack posted:

Haha these things are great, you can imagine people being like "Hmmm, I reckon we can still manage it, lets chance it but go slowly,"

e: the people who made it don't seem to know where a vagina goes but thats not surprising

The hole is for peeing, not sexing, so it's in the right spot. Reading up on them apparently they used to have cloth padding on the inside too, so she wouldn't be getting poked by the pointy bits all the time. Still looks like it would be drat uncomfortable for sitting in though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The issue with seduction is basically just raw numbers. Even with a 90% chance to refuse a proposition, if a courtier is receiving dozens of propositions a year, they're going to roll that 10% chance to accept sooner rather than later. Giving diminishing odds of success for each refusal might help against repeat seduction spam, but it still wouldn't really solve the issue of the fact that there are so many seducers out there that hit on literally every target of the appropriate sex in the realm. Having the AI limit their number of targets over a lifetime would probably help a lot.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Does the sex appeal value have much influence on seduction success/ how is it determined? It could be set up to correlate fairly closely with prestige/rank and then made central to the seduction process. That could be a good way of weeding out horny randos seducing their ways across christendom but still allowing someone like a french emperor with a lifelong focus on seduction to have an absurd number of bastards.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

True, there is that, for the times you need an heir yesterday.

Seduction is much better for acquiring heirs as long as you don't mind them being legitimized bastards.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Seduction is a lot better for the AI because for human players it's tedious as hell to keep sending out requests to woo every lady. The AI can do it in a split second.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Odobenidae posted:

Seduction is a lot better for the AI because for human players it's tedious as hell to keep sending out requests to woo every lady. The AI can do it in a split second.

AI Seduction.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ran into a mild oddity. A Cetic Uprising in Atomicist Gran Francisco wound up with a leader that was both Zealous and Cynical.

The uprising was also hostile to my own forces, which seems like it shouldn't be a thing when you share a religion.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dareon posted:

Ran into a mild oddity. A Cetic Uprising in Atomicist Gran Francisco wound up with a leader that was both Zealous and Cynical.

The uprising was also hostile to my own forces, which seems like it shouldn't be a thing when you share a religion.

The latter happens in the base game as well - I agree that it's weird but I think they're basically treated the same as peasant revolts, where they're just hostile to everyone.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Seems like making them friendly or at least neutral to rulers of their own religion would be a good step towards destabilizing large or overextended realms.

"Sire, our Catholic brethren are revolting against their heathen rulers!"
"We must liberate them at once. Call the banners!"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Having a blast in After the End but there's two oddities/bugs I've noticed:

One, Anabaptism is still showing up as Jainism in the vassal opinion modifier ("Liege is Jain").

Two, for some reason I can't use the Ruler Designer to change my custom ruler's religion away from the "base" character's. I tried making the Duke of Airmen, who is by default Americanist, a follower of Cult of Saints (because gently caress having to wear those drat wigs when I am the only one for hundreds of miles and my vassals hate me), but when I began the game he was Americanist again.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Schizotek posted:

Finally get an achievment run for Saoshyant off the ground. Before my first ruler dies I get demon spawn. Not sure whether this is terrible or awesome. Well its definitely awesome. Just not sure if this run will survive the demon-messiah :kheldragar:

when i got the saoshyant achievement it was as the demon messiah. jezebel was my wife and circe and morgana concubines/army commanders

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Something that would be really cool to see out of a DLC eventually would be something to flesh out the HRE more, because as it is, they're usually just a big ugly blob that sits there. It never does anything, and nobody does anything to it.

Maybe a (somewhat out-there) idea would be for crown authority, as it currently exists, only to extend up to the kingdom level, with empire titles having "imperial authority" instead. Vassals under imperial authority, no matter the government type, would function like tributaries; unless the title is a viceroyalty (so that the ERE doesn't get nerfed to death). Vassals under a kingdom level title would still function as normal, though, so if you're the King of England and conquer all of the isles, Ireland Scotland and Wales need to be called to war, but the English dukes wouldn't suddenly get to opt out of wars because you're calling yourself an emperor now. And pushing "imperial authority" to max would make imperial vassals work like normal.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DStecks posted:

Something that would be really cool to see out of a DLC eventually would be something to flesh out the HRE more, because as it is, they're usually just a big ugly blob that sits there. It never does anything, and nobody does anything to it.

Yeah I hate to be one of those Paradox forum people, but I'd really like 'more stuff' and detail for what we already have then the terrifying idea of trying to mash in China or something.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I dunno, it's been a while since I started in 1066 but many of my 1066 games from the past, the HRE was pretty aggressive about conquering western Europe. They would go about it in a stupid fashion with no plan so it would take them 200 years to accomplish what would take a player about 30, but whenever I played in France/Aquitaine it was pretty like I'd be dealing with the HRE declaring war a lot.

What would usually end up happening is that the HRE would ally with the Byzantines and then get their armies wiped out by attrition in Muslimland and then a bunch of vassal revolts would kind of keep them in check.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I finished my SPQR achievement and decided to keep going and see how much map I could paint while also getting the achievement for taking a game from 769 to 1453. Around 1100 my emperor died suddenly and I was stuck with about a 3 month regency for my 15 year old son. In about 6 months a giant independence faction forms and declares war. Never had a chance to prevent it. At this point, my empire had grown to the point where each side of this conflict could raise about 125k troops and this has rendered my game unplayable. Every time a day passes the game freezes for about 10-15 seconds. So that's cool.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Is CK2 especially MP (or wifi) unfriendly? Playing against my friend via LAN I can occasionally bump it to speed 3, but 2 or 1 are far more common. Anything I can do to keep sync at higher speeds or just accept it and poo poo talk while you wait for grass to grow?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

DStecks posted:

Maybe a (somewhat out-there) idea would be for crown authority, as it currently exists, only to extend up to the kingdom level, with empire titles having "imperial authority" instead. Vassals under imperial authority, no matter the government type, would function like tributaries; unless the title is a viceroyalty (so that the ERE doesn't get nerfed to death). Vassals under a kingdom level title would still function as normal, though, so if you're the King of England and conquer all of the isles, Ireland Scotland and Wales need to be called to war, but the English dukes wouldn't suddenly get to opt out of wars because you're calling yourself an emperor now. And pushing "imperial authority" to max would make imperial vassals work like normal.

That would be a huge, huuuuge step towards making CK2 more historically accurate too (well as historically accurate as a Aztec Lollard Iceland can be :v:), because as every history professor says the HRE was neither "holy, roman, or an empire".

Their system was super complicated and I don't think it could ever be modeled, but at least make them more similar to the pseudo-federal model they had.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, the HRE definitely needs something to make it more like the actual HRE. I've had so much grief with the Medium Crown Authority HRE it hurts my head to consider exactly how much it has been, which is a drat shame, because I really like the HRE as a playing field - that is the only reason I come back to it even though I know it won't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

tbf the Holy Roman Empire of CK2 isn't the same as the HRE of EU4. The devolution of powers to the princes was a gradual process, it wasn't like the Carolingians died and bim bam boom a millennium of ineffectual German government was born.

On an unrelated note, is there any estimated time when 2.4.3 proper is coming out? Asking for a friend.

• Locked thread