Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sounds kinda like a clogged jet, fuel pump seizing from heat, or a bad plug or coil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Help me CA. My ninjette is acting weird.

Was on a short ride, maybe 30 minutes or so, running errands, when the bike suddenly started bogging HARD. It would bog, and not be able to break 6k, then all the power would come back like someone flipping a switch, then it would bog again. I had just filled up 12 miles earlier, but I flipped it to reserve out of habit, and nothing changed. For the next two miles home, it would switch between bogging and full power, with instant shifts between the two, once every 10-20 seconds. No amount of gear shifting or throttle work changed anything. As of arriving at home, it was running ok and idled perfectly.

Few things of note, I thought I had run it into reserve when I was leaving my house, because it had some power loss on a steep hill. So I went around the corner and filled up. It only took 3 gallons, which is very low for going into reserve, now that I think about it. So maybe the power weirdness was prior to the fillup. I checked to make sure I didn't put in diesel by accident or anything.

Even though the tanker truck was just starting to fill up the station as I was leaving, it's a busy station and I can't believe I would have gotten bad gas.

The power loss felt kind of like when my SV had a plug fill with water, but more pronounced and less of a noise change (didn't have stock exhaust on the SV, though). When all this happened the bike didn't make any startling noises or anything. The ninja is under a cover, and though it got drenched on a ride the other day, it has since done a couple hundred miles just fine.

Where do I start?

Sounds like it's time to upgrade to a SuperDuke!

The other suggestions are good, I'd also check your fuel tank vent if only because I'd always suspect that, but the symptoms don't match up that well.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

M42 posted:

That sounds exactly like when my ninja's battery poo poo the bed.

It's funny you say that, because I thought of your exact video when it started happening to me. Semi uneventful huge loss in power, intermittently. But the intervals between loss of power and not were much larger than that, and when my SV battery gave up the ghost, the bike refused to run.
While the battery got fully run down a few days ago, it's been great ever since. Nevertheless, I'll have the auto shop battery test it tomorrow.

revmoo posted:

Sounds kinda like a clogged jet, fuel pump seizing from heat, or a bad plug or coil.

You give me so many solutions, none of them in any way appealing. It's pretty hot here, but my ride wasn't anything like the hard hot rides I've had lately. I thought maybe a plug related issue, but would that sap so much power, losing one cylinder?

I wish the superduke was like 9k so I could be irresponsible and nab one...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just finance it #yolo

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Get a 690 duke in that case. Or better yet, get Sanchezz' duke if it's still for sale since I didn't.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coydog posted:

I thought maybe a plug related issue, but would that sap so much power, losing one cylinder?
Well if the coil or plug is getting bad and you lose spark intermittently you wouldn't get ignition in one cylinder, and yes you lose more than half of the power because the cylinder not firing is not only not contributing, it becomes a parasitic load.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Agree with M42, sounds like a bad battery, but could be some other ignition issue. Battery is the easy place to start with anyway. I had a problem with a coil once, but it was not intermittent. One side of the coil was simply dead and I could move the dead cylinder around at will. When it's bogging, does it still make power? If both cylinders are dead, the noise will still change when you open the throttle, so it's not always easy to judge if both or only one cylinder has gone when it's intermittent.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I only want a duke if it's 390 or 1290, sorry. I have to stick to my principles.

I'll be checking the battery in a couple hours, and will report what I find. I hope it's that. The bike still makes power when it's exhibiting the issue, but I feel like it's a losing battle. I couldn't get it to accelerate past 6k, for instance. Perhaps I didn't want to after the first couple times it came back to full function with the throttle pinned. Good thing it's only a 250.

When the SV battery died, it was a much more catastrophic event, ending in no power about 200ft down the road. That battery was TOAST, though. Hopefully this one is just really sick.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

When batteries start to go, they can do some really weird poo poo - could be completely different from bike to bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sadly, I did not get lucky. I just had the battery load tested and it came up perfectly good. Also, on a test ride afterwards, the problem got worse and more pronounced.

For the first 3-4 miles, power seemed down, but I couldn't tell if that was placebo. Then , the problem came back in full force after I did some launches shifting near redline (to see if I noticed anything off in power). After that, it bogged hard, had trouble getting above 45mph, and had trouble on hills in first.

When I would pull the clutch, it would go down to idle, then die a couple seconds later. It seemed delayed; drop to idle, then slowly sink to death. When this happened at a light, I had a fair bit of trouble starting it again. Took me several tries, and when it came to life I had to play with the throttle a bit.

The sound it's making is even, but low and deeper. Oil levels are fine, and I don't hear any scary clattering that would lead to a broken engine. I'm hoping a plug cable is loose :/

Edit: Would seafoam and an itialian tune up help? Would that clear out a carb issue too?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I suspect the ignition too. First, just check all ignition coils, wires, spark plug boots and related hardware for obvious damage. Second, if possible, run the engine in the dark and check for sparks from the ignition cable. On my old bike the ignition cable would short out through insulation instead of the spark plug. The problem came and went. So did the bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm taking a break, and a drink, before venturing further. It has occurred to me that I have to remove the tank to get at any of this. My tank is full, so it's going to leak everywhere. I probably have to drain the carbs or something too. I might as well do the valves while I'm so far in there.

How will I know which ignition coil is bad? Do I need to replace both if the plugs and cables seem fine?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Almost guaranteed you can lift your tank to access spark plugs without any fuel getting out. I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a fuel valve that keeps fuel from flowing while the engine is off.

Look at plugs, one will look oily, sooty, and maybe even damp if the coil is going out.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'll pray that the petcock works properly on this one. The KLR leaked like a sieve, but it was a ratty dirt bike. Thank you for the guidance on what to look for. I'll report back on what I find.

In fact, while I'm at it, I gotta say all of your help is an incredible resource.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can turn the petcock to off and remove the fuel line that goes from the petcock to the carbs to pull the tank. (You'll also need to disconnet the fuel sender wiring harness and pull some fairings)

If his is a old gen ninja 250 watch out for the bolts that go into the front of the tank - some of them are longer and will puncture the tank if you mix them up.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Somehow, I was able to remove both plugs by just propping the tank up a bit on a towel and reaching in there. Good to have thin hands, I guess. This is good because those hoses do not want to be removed from the tank.

I think I have progress, but I'm not sure what progress I made. Here are the plugs, oriented properly with the left cylinder and right cylinder plug.

Bad plug, or bad ignition coil on the right side? Wires look fresh and good from the coil to the plug, contacts inside look good. Wires going to the coils look fine, but are neatly wrapped in electrical tape type stuff? I don't know if that is factory or not. I followed them as far as a could and no visible breaches or breaks could be seen. It's daytime so I couldn't check for spark along the wires.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-07-Kawasaki-Ninja-250-EX250-Ignition-Coils-Coil-Packs-A-/360578789814?hash=item53f42bb1b6&vxp=mtr these are used but way cheaper than the oem for 140 I can get locally.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 29, 2015

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Well, at least to me the right plug looks fouled with carbon deposits. That could indicate it's running rich or having a bad spark. I can't imagine how the carbs could be intermittently feeding it a rich mixture, so again I'll go with the bad spark, wich could be caused by a loose connection or like.

I'm not an expert on this particular bike, but if it is possible, can you switch the coils so the right coil feeds the left spark plug and vice versa? You'd need to switch both the plug boot and the connector to the wiring loom of course. If the problem moves to the left cylinder you have found the problem.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Oh Boy! So on Friday I moved from LA to the Bay. My DRZ was strapped into the back of a container truck with the rest of my stuff. Saturday I unload and of course I took my poor little bike out first. Now the rear shock doesn't have nearly as much spring to it as before. I didn't want to pull it apart until I know for sure what is going on, but I assume when I tied it down I ended up blowing something in the nitrogen tank and that led to the poor rebound. The bike still bounces up and down on a bit, but when I am on it it sits much lower.

Am I right in my diagnosis? If so, what are my options and can I keep riding it in the meantime? I haven't even tried taking it out for a spin.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
hows the seal look on the shock shaft?

Theres also a couple of cheapo stock drz shocks on the local craigslist. :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

hows the seal look on the shock shaft?

Theres also a couple of cheapo stock drz shocks on the local craigslist. :v:

It looks good to me. Rubber doesn't seem to have any cracks or damages. Can, can I ride it? :ohdear:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It'll just ride like a klr. :v:

I'd ride it, but I'd ride a lot of broken things. If it bottoms out, I proooobably would set the spring preload higher.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

It'll just ride like a klr. :v:

I'd ride it, but I'd ride a lot of broken things. If it bottoms out, I proooobably would set the spring preload higher.

Cool. I'll take a ride tomorrow and see how it works.

Unless z3n or somebody else thinks I am going to break my bike even worse.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Why don't modern bikes have valve adjustments by set screws like the pregen Ninjas?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dutymode posted:

Why don't modern bikes have valve adjustments by set screws like the pregen Ninjas?

because those don't do so well at higher RPM's

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
But they're fine on the high-revving Ninja. I'd think they'd be fine on V-twins and such. Even if you'd have to check them more often they're way more approachable.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I thought you could only do valve adjustments that way with SOHC engines that have rocker arms. DOHC have to use shims due to their design.....right?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There are many different DOHC designs. The most high performance and high revving ones are usually the most difficult to work on. It's all about having the lightest and smallest moving parts in the valve train.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Dutymode posted:

But they're fine on the high-revving Ninja. I'd think they'd be fine on V-twins and such. Even if you'd have to check them more often they're way more approachable.

My wife's beemer has that type of valve. The valve adjustment schedule is at every oil change. Madness.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Man, I don't know if I'd be comfortable only changing my oil every 5 years.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Z3n posted:

Just finance it #yolo
The urge to just finance a rad bike after my Ninjette grows stronger by the day. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Cool. I'll take a ride tomorrow and see how it works.

Unless z3n or somebody else thinks I am going to break my bike even worse.

I'd be more inclined to say you should check you haven't broken anything on your subframe or otherwise. Inspect the linkages, shock, etc, but it's probably ok. Maybe pop the shock out to see what's going on there.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

clutchpuck posted:

My wife's beemer has that type of valve. The valve adjustment schedule is at every oil change. Madness.

It's every other oil change on my Honda, but then that works out to every 16000 miles which isn't so bad I suppose.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

I'd be more inclined to say you should check you haven't broken anything on your subframe or otherwise. Inspect the linkages, shock, etc, but it's probably ok. Maybe pop the shock out to see what's going on there.

Will do. I'm pretty sure it is just because I ratcheted the back down and over the course of 24+ hours it hosed my shock up a bit.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Will do. I'm pretty sure it is just because I ratcheted the back down and over the course of 24+ hours it hosed my shock up a bit.

Did you adjust your shock at all before doing that? Like to the lowest setting, for example?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Chichevache posted:

Please stop killing and torturing our friends.

Signed

People for the Ethical Treatment of Bieks

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

Did you adjust your shock at all before doing that? Like to the lowest setting, for example?

:ohdear: no.

Marv Hushman posted:

Please stop killing and torturing our friends.

Signed

People for the Ethical Treatment of Bieks

At least I started with a DRZ instead of something actually nice, like the Ducati M750 that was $500 less.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Future reference: you only really need to compress the front suspension down a bit with straps, not even to the stop. You don't even really need to secure the rear. When I haul in my pickup I secure one over the back but just for show because our state patrol like to trump up citations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

clutchpuck posted:

Future reference: you only really need to compress the front suspension down a bit with straps, not even to the stop. You don't even really need to secure the rear. When I haul in my pickup I secure one over the back but just for show because our state patrol like to trump up citations.

Every motorcycle I've sold the buyer comes with a trailer and proceeds to wrench down the front end of the bike to the point where the lower triple is right above the top of the forks. You can almost hear the seals screaming for mercy. Your bike now, hoss.

I use a Canyon Dancer, makes it easy to get even pressure on the front end without overdoing it:

http://www.canyondancer.com/

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Chichevache posted:

At least I started with a DRZ instead of something actually nice, like the Ducati M750 that was $500 less.

Those who preach are often the biggest hypocrites.*

*e.g., yours truly

:arnie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If you preach enough, eventually you become a hypocrite by default.