Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

savinhill posted:

You can't go wrong with Hyperion. The audiobook for it is top notch and easy to follow too.

People were recently posting about cyberpunk itt, and I just finished a great debut novel that fits the genre, Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Thomas Sweterlitsch. It takes place in a near future where capitalism and celebrity culture are perverted to their extremes and the internet has been supplanted by a pervasive tech that's wired directly into people's brains. The tone is bleak and cynical a lot of the time(the POV character is a clinically depressed drug addict), but it also has some beautiful & evocative writing throughout it.

I really liked this book as well, although I thought of it as more future noir than cyberpunk, although the two things are so closely related, you could probably go either way. One of the things that kind of stunned me about the book was how crazy accurate it was about the fashion stuff. For a book centered so much on technology and its vision of the future, I wouldn't have expected such spot-on details about a side-aspect of the story and world. It was that level of detail that made the world of the book seem so vivid and real, since it really did seem like a logical extension of what is already happening right now, if we were to develop the new technologies they have in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

fritz posted:

At one point I wanted to read the Vlad Taltos books, once they were all published, in internal chronological order, but I'll want someone else to figure out what that is.

The problem with that is that you'd have to skip around between books. Frinstance, the first section of Jhereg, where Vlad finds and bonds with Loiosh, is the earliest part of Vlad's story ... but then Taltos, Dragon, Yendi, and part of Tiassa come between that and the rest of Jhereg.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Selachian posted:

The problem with that is that you'd have to skip around between books. Frinstance, the first section of Jhereg, where Vlad finds and bonds with Loiosh, is the earliest part of Vlad's story ... but then Taltos, Dragon, Yendi, and part of Tiassa come between that and the rest of Jhereg.

From wikipedia:

quote:

Chronological order of novels:

Jhereg, prologue (1983)
Taltos (1988)
Dragon, main chapters (1998)
Yendi (1984)
Dragon, interludes (1998)
Tiassa, section 1 (2011)
Jhereg, main chapters (1983)
Teckla (1987)
Phoenix (1990)
Jhegaala (2008)
Athyra (1993)
Orca (1996)
Issola (2001)
Dzur (2006)
Tiassa, section 2 (2011)
Iorich (2010)
Tiassa, section 3 (2011)
Hawk (2014)

...so yeah, you're hosed, do publication order and move on.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Selachian posted:

The hard part would be Tiassa where each chapter starts in one timeline, then there's a paragraph somewhere in the middle that's in another, and then chapters end in the third timeline.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Almost finished Dark Orbit by Carolyn Ives Gilman and it's really really very good. It crams a lot in; Little bit hard sci-fi, little bit first-contact story, cultural differences, quite philosophical in places. Definitely worth checking out. Genuinely thoughtful sci-fi. Bloody crap title though, makes it sound like some sort of Event Horizon space horror thing (which it absolutely isn't)

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

My friend Kim Stanley Robinson has written such a masterwork that it's a permanent part of canon as is, Red Mars first chapter is clearly POSTMODERN literary decision and it's barbaric to make the book fun even if AUTHOR IS DEAD.
-Harold R.R. Bloom

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Skip reading the Vlad Taltos books (for now, but definitely read them later because they're fun) and skip straight to reading the Khaavren Romance series. Much MUCH better.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
So, is there anywhere I can read a breakdown of Proxima from? I bought it when it was recommended the other day, and I have very little idea what the gently caress happened.

I *think* that Yuri Eden was an (maybe even the, with the way the hatches work) original donor to Earthshine, but random roman space marine blimps threw me so far off Fun Adventure Time with ColU that I do not comprehend anything any more.

Is there a sequel? Can you even WRITE a sequel to an not-ending that batshit crazy? It nosedived so far through latter-day Card and Space Capone levels of stupidity so fast my neck hurts.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

mallamp posted:

My friend Kim Stanley Robinson has written such a masterwork that it's a permanent part of canon as is, Red Mars first chapter is clearly POSTMODERN literary decision and it's barbaric to make the book fun even if AUTHOR IS DEAD.
-Harold R.R. Bloom

people can read this poo poo out of order if they want but the guy recommending it managed to sound like an incredible fuckwit by delivering his advice in the most self satisfied way like his recommendation was mana from heaven we should be eternally grateful to receive

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ulmont posted:

From wikipedia:

...so yeah, you're hosed, do publication order and move on.
These don't take into account stuff like The Pheonix Guards and Five Hundred Years After, which actually were how I got into the Taltos stuff, and it really made a lot of the small side-hand comments about events make so much more sense, as well as Vlad's interactions with the folks who are kind of A Big Deal.

angel opportunity posted:

Why does this thread have to rehash the pedophile/rape discussion like every 30 pages? It's so ridiculous and dumb. It feels like so many people in this thread are fixated on it rather than just not reading stuff with weird peophile and rape stuff.
Based on the capitalization and punctuation habits of the poster who began it, I'm leaning toward bored trolling.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Neurosis posted:

people can read this poo poo out of order if they want but the guy recommending it managed to sound like an incredible fuckwit by delivering his advice in the most self satisfied way like his recommendation was mana from heaven we should be eternally grateful to receive

*reads harmless, goofy nerd opinion, sucks air through teeth* "This fuckwit should really shut the gently caress up!"

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Nullkigan posted:

So, is there anywhere I can read a breakdown of Proxima from? I bought it when it was recommended the other day, and I have very little idea what the gently caress happened.

I *think* that Yuri Eden was an (maybe even the, with the way the hatches work) original donor to Earthshine, but random roman space marine blimps threw me so far off Fun Adventure Time with ColU that I do not comprehend anything any more.

Is there a sequel? Can you even WRITE a sequel to an not-ending that batshit crazy? It nosedived so far through latter-day Card and Space Capone levels of stupidity so fast my neck hurts.

Sorry, I almost posted and warned you not to read it, but I had to leave suddenly or something.

It's the single worst ending to a book I've read in many years. The entire book is made twice as bad from that ending, and I'm never reading anything from that author again.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

coyo7e posted:

These don't take into account stuff like The Pheonix Guards and Five Hundred Years After, which actually were how I got into the Taltos stuff, and it really made a lot of the small side-hand comments about events make so much more sense, as well as Vlad's interactions with the folks who are kind of A Big Deal

That's easy though - all of the Khaavren Romances predate the Jhereg intro and everything else and are already in internal chronological order from publication. I'd still recommend publication order for all things Dragearea.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Drifter posted:

Skip reading the Vlad Taltos books (for now, but definitely read them later because they're fun) and skip straight to reading the Khaavren Romance series. Much MUCH better.

Those books are so much fun.

From the narrative voice, to the chapter titles, to the dialog it captured the feel of Dumas so drat well.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Neurosis posted:

I only sounded like a fuckwit after some snide comments, such as this ridiculous statement:

Hedrigall posted:

Ah yes, I also only watch Memento in chronological order. :downs:

I was half-joking about 'public service'. I even said that if the dude listening to the audiobook couldn't work it out, then don't worry. Not exactly heavily invested, am I? But let's just leave it here, it isn't worth a drawn out argument.

angel opportunity posted:

To be fair, the first part of Red Mars confused the poo poo out of me and had no weight whatsoever. I finally got past it, but I could barely tell what was happening because it really did feel just 'out of order' rather than a good decision to move it.

That's all the proof anyone needs, thankee sai. How is the narration? I'm listening to the Coode Street Podcast with KSR as guest (do listen to it, he talks about Aurora and other books and it's awesome) and he says that he was very pleased with the narration of Shaman so I might have to re-read it, by listening to it.

PS. does anyone listen to Coode Street, and does anyone listen to other good spec fic/fantasy podcasts?

thehomemaster fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 28, 2015

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
The narration is okay, but not amazing. He doesn't make any attempt to do any of the accents for various nationalities, which is either good or bad depending on your preferences. I tend to prefer it, because it can get really tedious hearing accent parodies go on forever.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

I realize this isn't a popular opinion, but while I liked the Taltos novels, I hated what little of the Khaavren Romance novels I read.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

I realize this isn't a popular opinion, but while I liked the Taltos novels, I hated what little of the Khaavren Romance novels I read.

Nah, it makes total sense. If you like Dumas' writing style, you'll like the Khaavren Romances. If you don't, you won't.

And, since it happens to be the case that the writer Dumas was, as befit the style of the times, paid the going rate for each word rather than (as we do in this more enlightened era) paid a portion of each sale of his works (after the publisher, of course, had recouped his appropriate expenses made in advance to publish said works), certainly the style of Messr. Dumas is readily distinguishable from the styles of other writers these days (we express no opinion as to whether those styles represents an improvement upon the style of Messr. Dumas, of course, times being what they are and matters of taste being so difficult to judge).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ulmont posted:

Nah, it makes total sense. If you like Dumas' writing style, you'll like the Khaavren Romances. If you don't, you won't.

And, since it happens to be the case that the writer Dumas was, as befit the style of the times, paid the going rate for each word rather than (as we do in this more enlightened era) paid a portion of each sale of his works (after the publisher, of course, had recouped his appropriate expenses made in advance to publish said works), certainly the style of Messr. Dumas is readily distinguishable from the styles of other writers these days (we express no opinion as to whether those styles represents an improvement upon the style of Messr. Dumas, of course, times being what they are and matters of taste being so difficult to judge).

:golfclap:

:tipshat:Sir?
:monocle:Pardon, are you speaking to me?
:tipshat:Yes sir, as a matter of fact I am.
:monocle:How singular, was there a reason you hailed me?
:tipshat:Why yes, now that you mention it. There was.
:monocle:Please, pray tell me what it is you wish to say.
:tipshat:Well, it is something in the manner of compliment.
:monocle:A compliment, you say? How extraordinary.
:tipshat:It shouldn't be, sir. In fact, I'd say this is rather on the order of the ordinary for one such as yourself.
:monocle:Your kindness is too much. And please what is the compliment?
:tipshat:The compliment?
:monocle:Yes
:tipshat:Why the compliment is simple in it's execution.
:monocle:Execute it at once, if you would.
:tipshat:Very well. That was a good post.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 28, 2015

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I managed to finish only the first book of Khaavren Romances and that with a certain amount of skipping.
At first I thought the writing was kind of funny then it became boring and I had to force myself to finish the book.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Phoenix Guards is a great book with a lot of good humor, and Five Hundred Years After may be one of the best single fantasy novels I have ever read. I would still suggest anyone interested in them should start with at least the first few Vlad Taltos books though, they're a lot more approachable in terms of style.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Finished with Aurora, KSR somehow managed to make it depressing and uplifting at the same time. Really enjoyed his take on AI evolution and consciousness. It was my first book from the author and I'll definitely be looking into his older work now.

Trying to get through Lock In by Scalzi but it is just not grabbing me, much like most of his other stuff. All of his work seems to suffer from poor characterization and a lack of any individual voice. It just feels like one big pastiche of bland dialogue. Readable but boring, I'm done trying with his books.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

The Ninth Layer posted:

The Phoenix Guards is a great book with a lot of good humor, and Five Hundred Years After may be one of the best single fantasy novels I have ever read. I would still suggest anyone interested in them should start with at least the first few Vlad Taltos books though, they're a lot more approachable in terms of style.

I liked both of them too but for some reason I've stalled on the third in the series. Its not that the book is bad, I'm thinking maybe reading the first two one after the other has drained me of the patience required to read the style.

In fact I think I nearly insist upon it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

johnsonrod posted:

I'm reading Aurora right now and considering I'm not a huge fan of KSR, I'm actually really enjoying it. I'll be done it in a day or two though and am looking for some sci fi recommendations on what to read next.

I know that's all pretty picky but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix (Plus) seems to fit your bill. Vernor Vinge's Zones of Thought series misses several, but I'd still strongly recommend it. Give A Deepness in the Sky a try.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
How 'bout some Greg Egan.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

ulmont posted:

I like Dumas just fine, he uses those excess words to add texture and detail to everything, whereas Brust was using them (badly) as a joke.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
On the topic of KSR, he has compacted down his Climate Change Trilogy into one volume called Green Earth. I haven't read them before, but apparently he's cut a lot of the superfluous boring bits (about 15%!) so now would be a good time.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

thehomemaster posted:

On the topic of KSR, he has compacted down his Climate Change Trilogy into one volume called Green Earth. I haven't read them before, but apparently he's cut a lot of the superfluous boring bits (about 15%!) so now would be a good time.

Goodness, I never even knew these books existed. Now I'm feverishly gulping down the first one.

Will purchase on release date. By the way, does the Mars trilogy exist in an omnibus edition anywhere? I think a collector's edition would sell, but I doubt it's been given the chance.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I love cyberpunk/postcyberpunk/technoir/near-future sci-fi but there doesn't seem to be much of it that I haven't already read. I've read all of Gibson's stuff and I don't like Stephenson. I couldn't get through the first chapter of Snow Crash. I read and liked both Altered Carbon and Broken Angels. I like gritty, violent, noirish if possible. Any recommendations?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Do you mind ridiculous levels of action? The Mirrored Heavens by David J Williams. Daniel Keys Moran's Continuing Time series - the first book has a prologue that doesn't represent the rest of the series, mind. Emerald Eyes is the first book, the second (The Long Run) has more of a focus on crime.

I'd post better suggestions but I'm heading out. You've read Effinger right?

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 29, 2015

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Bruce Sterling?
Melissa Scott Trouble and Her Friends
Raphael Carter The Fortunate Fall
Ken MacLeod's Fall Revolution novels
Vernor Vinge Rainbow's End
Walter M Miller's Dagmar Shaw novels
Greg Egan Quarantine
Lauren Beukes Moxyland
Darren Bradley Noise

Europe in Autumn might qualify though its SFnal elements are fairly understated--but it is near-future and fairly grim. Matt Ruff's Bad Monkeys is...similar in tone but not exactly cyberpunk. Still a good quick read.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Martello posted:

I love cyberpunk/postcyberpunk/technoir/near-future sci-fi but there doesn't seem to be much of it that I haven't already read. I've read all of Gibson's stuff and I don't like Stephenson. I couldn't get through the first chapter of Snow Crash. I read and liked both Altered Carbon and Broken Angels. I like gritty, violent, noirish if possible. Any recommendations?

If you've read and enjoyed Altered Carbon and Broken Angels, then I would get started on Woken Furies right away. I think it's a safe bet you'll enjoy it as much as the first two Kovacs books. It's pretty different in plot, just like the first two were different from each other, but it's going to check at least all the boxes for gritty and violent, and I'd say there's some noirish stuff there. In any event, I liked it just as much as the first two books, and it has some neat stuff about Quell and the Martians, if you liked the bits about those in the two prior books.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chrisoya posted:

Daniel Keys Moran's Continuing Time series - the first book has a prologue that doesn't represent the rest of the series, mind. Emerald Eyes is the first book, the second (The Long Run) has more of a focus on crime.

Holy crap, he's finally put out a fourth book. I remember reading the 1st three in the series in the early nineties, then discovering he had planned on it spanning 33 volumes. Not long after I finished the 3rd, I started casting a net to find what I could. I seem to remember one the sci fi Usenet groups mentioning he had a publisher dispute and couldn't write anymore in the series until he got the rights back (something like that). He fell off my radar a while ago, which is probably why I never noticed he put The AI War out 4 years ago.

Going to have to grab those up in ebook format now.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Martello posted:

Cassandra Kresnov series by Joel Shepherd might fit, although I don't know if it's noirish enough. But it's certainly violent.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

flosofl posted:

Holy crap, he's finally put out a fourth book. I remember reading the 1st three in the series in the early nineties, then discovering he had planned on it spanning 33 volumes. Not long after I finished the 3rd, I started casting a net to find what I could. I seem to remember one the sci fi Usenet groups mentioning he had a publisher dispute and couldn't write anymore in the series until he got the rights back (something like that). He fell off my radar a while ago, which is probably why I never noticed he put The AI War out 4 years ago.

Going to have to grab those up in ebook format now.
Yes, excellent. Although the future plans sound batshit and unlikely, at least the books that were written are good.

Trent the Uncatchable is a better SF/F thief than Locke Lamora :colbert:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chrisoya posted:

Yes, excellent. Although the future plans sound batshit and unlikely, at least the books that were written are good.

Trent the Uncatchable is a better SF/F thief than Locke Lamora :colbert:

Ralf the Wise and Powerful has to be my favorite AI.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Martello posted:

Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams. I honestly can't remember much of it, but check the plot introduction on Wikipedia.
CrashCourse, ClipJoint and PsyKosis by Wilhelmina Baird. The first one was pretty drat good, second one a bit meh and the third kind of lost it. I never got around to reading the forth, Chaos Comes Again.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Fart of Presto posted:

Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams. I honestly can't remember much of it, but check the plot introduction on Wikipedia.

Haha holy poo poo that cover. Definitely not Dolph Lundgren. Nosirree.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Martello posted:

Bruce Sterling? He's the best writer of anyone who claims to cyberpunk, even if his cyberpunk is about a dude cracking open COCOTs in the 90s, which I have been fortunate to get my hands on..

Maybe I'm wrong in feeling that Holy Fire or this Good Old-Fashioned Future weren't sexier and more beliavable than anybody else at the time? Of my 3 cyberpunks gospels I am on the Stephenson, Sterling, and..... Well I guess you have to read Gibson however, he's pretty loving dry in my opinion. Gibson writes about crowded scifi soap opera, and Sterling and Stephenson paint. Although a lot of newer Stephenson stuff is :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This is quite the long, boring epilogue Aurora has....