Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Does Ouya have that many customers? I guess it was probably a relatively cheap acquisition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maybe they want Ouya's infrastructure? Their game store and poo poo? Does Razer have a game store of their own?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Ouya hardware was 3-4 years outdated already by the time it was released, so there's zero value in it.

The company probably has a bunch of soft assets (software, employees, patents, contracts, etc) that Razer is interested in.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Xandu posted:

I just don't get it. Ouya's dumb anyway, but what's the point in buying them and then scrapping the hardware? I can't imagine Ouyas software is that good, so were the employees that valuable?

Razer is just essentially buying the customer base, as that's really the only asset Ouya has at this point.

There's no reasons for them to continue the hardware side because it'd be in direct competition with their own hardware.

And as for the employees, the Motherboard article says that the purchase didn't include Julie Uhrman. If they're not taking the CEO for something like 3 months to assist with the changeover, I think it's pretty safe to assume they don't want the employees either, I can't imagine why they wouldn't want talent like Bawb though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Xandu posted:

Does Ouya have that many customers? I guess it was probably a relatively cheap acquisition.

They just can't. They sold 50,000 to Kickstarter backers, if they managed to sell double that after the Kickstarter I'd be amazed, and at this point there's no way they've got more than a few thousand people actively playing.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

They just can't. They sold 50,000 to Kickstarter backers, if they managed to sell double that after the Kickstarter I'd be amazed, and at this point there's no way they've got more than a few thousand people actively playing.

Depends on what Razer paid too, which I don't imagine was a lot.

I'm sure there's some excel spreadsheet on a Razer accountant's computer that compares the customer acquisition cost against the price they paid Ouya for X customers along with estimated retention and worked out it was cheaper to buy these few customers than it would be to acquire them otherwise.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Rudager posted:

Depends on what Razer paid too, which I don't imagine was a lot.

I'm sure there's some excel spreadsheet on a Razer accountant's computer that compares the customer acquisition cost against the price they paid Ouya for X customers along with estimated retention and worked out it was cheaper to buy these few customers than it would be to acquire them otherwise.

They're supposed to be getting the game store - there's probably a decent benefit to grabbing up a bunch of games for whatever device they're propping up and saying "NOW WITH 1,000 GAMES"

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Xandu posted:

How much money would you pay if you were starting your own bullshit nickel-and-dime Android microconsole and you had the opportunity to buy a list of the most gullible microconsole enthusiasts in America?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Apparently the Nvidia Shield console is pretty cool. I'd consider buying one if I didn't already have a giant gently caress-off HTPC.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xandu posted:

I just don't get it. Ouya's dumb anyway, but what's the point in buying them and then scrapping the hardware? I can't imagine Ouyas software is that good, so were the employees that valuable?

The hardware was garbage in every way. The list of people who bought more than one game on the device, on the other hand, is an excellent marketing list for stupid-but-with-disposable-income customers who'll apparently buy anything.

Also several games had OUYA exclusivity of various types, so now Razer can get those sold on other devices and probably take a cut for things they didn't have to finance.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Physical disconnects for recording and wireless stuff is actually a cool and useful feature. But lol at the idea that this thing built with off the shelf components will be totally secure. The only time the page mentions firmware is as a handwave that one day they'll have open firmware and BIOS. Also of course Stallman is all over this.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

door Door door posted:

Physical disconnects for recording and wireless stuff is actually a cool and useful feature. But lol at the idea that this thing built with off the shelf components will be totally secure. The only time the page mentions firmware is as a handwave that one day they'll have open firmware and BIOS. Also of course Stallman is all over this.

they are using proprietary hardware. lol as if you can know what exactly is going on with an integrated circuit, your linux OS or whatever is all a big fat illusion of security

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They're buying a list of gullible people with too much money.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

I like how they present the ability to install unsigned BIOSes as a feature. I'd be way more worried a virus replaced my BIOS than that the government was spying on me through it.

e: Looks like Razer will honor the lovely contracts Ouya made.

aardvaard has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Jul 29, 2015

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The OUYA was just a fantastic tranwreck which provided endless amusement as the whole thing derailed in glorious slow motion.

The whole thing was sold on pretty CG renders which captivated people and their millions and subsequently made Kickstarter change their rules so you had to have a physical object to market.

This was one image you saw that demonstrated how it intended to come together.

But their insistence of keeping to the design that was advertised resulted in this being cobbled together from the finest of Chinese sweat-factories.

Their marketing was the idea that a cheap console that cost $99 and had games for free would destroy the well established console market.
This was then bizarrely mixed in with main attraction being the mobile modding community. "Free and open to all!"

And this was their ad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ha6Mb5_YQ

Hardware wise it wasn't much more above the specs of a standard smart phone at the time - it was woefully underpowered scoring something like 141 on the Android power list at release. It was struggling to run most NES or SNES games properly.

For a fraction of that price you could have just gotten a micro-USB cable, plugged your TV into your mobile phone then paired a generic bluetooth controller and have the whole lot for under $20.
"But your phone cost $300!" claimed the pundits - well yes, but it does a hell of a lot more, and can actually play a game.

Their touted "open for all" mantra became undone as someone at Ouya home base realized that having something root-able at the press of a button wasn't a really smart idea. Especially when it was trivial enough to wipe the system's OS and replace it with an updated version of Cyanogenmod - ironically creating a better device.
Given Android is rife with easy to pirate software you can see why this was a bad idea and the dev team tried their best to steer attention to the Ouya's game store by having lock-in deals for developers.

Their indie dev community fell over really fast as experienced programmers realized they had barely any power to work with and many soon went back to Google or Apple's markets. Most games released were usually existing Google games that were low-risk ports of existing games or lazy shovelware that got a following, like Amazing Frog.

There was a horrifically sad poster in the Ouya thread who had quit his reasonably stable job coding handhelds in the dreams that he'd be able to create his own games for Ouya - with the results of his labor being some sort of top down space shooter filled with programmer art and poorly thought out rules.

Plus their "free the games" scheme was rort with suspiciously padded Kickstarters as they shored up the sandbags with additional clauses in their lightweight EULA while ignoring the clear fact these games were little more than fraud schemes to net the elusive million promised.

Even their own advertising bordered on breaking IP laws by advertising that it played Nintendo emulators and a whole host of other games that failed to materialize (Fez and Minecraft) and any other exclusives were branded as being years away.

Not to mention their attempts to 'hijack E3" after failing to score a booth by setting up shop in a shipping container in the carpark across the road.

And they didn't listen to the lessons of history and evoked the greater demon of Osbourne and announced shortly after launch that Ouya 2 was being formulated.
Which was great news for all the backers who still didn't get their devices as well as growing confusion when a whole bunch of people got a free Ouya with backers names engraved on them.

Chairchucker, I hope this console managed to bring you as much satisfaction as it did to your all mates who soundly mocked you when you brought one. Despite the fact you owned a Wii that you could have hacked for $0 and played all the emulated games you ever dreamed of instead of being unable to use your Ouya when you'd got it because it needed an out of the box update and you had no internet access for three months.

BogDew has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Jul 29, 2015

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

WebDog posted:

Their indie dev community fell over really fast as experienced programmers realized they had barely any power to work with and many soon went back to Google or Apple's markets. Most games released were usually existing Google games that were low-risk ports of existing games or lazy shovelware that got a following, like Amazing Frog.
You're overvaluing the hardware strength as the problem. Smart devs were never going to bet on something that is clearly never going to have a userbase of more than 200k consoles and is targeting people who want free software. It was one of the worst deals possible for developers, acting like it was their special best friend while offering literally nothing that wasn't also offered on XBLIG, a failed initiative on a platform with tens of millions of potential customers.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wow. Those are terrible specs for the money.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Wow. Those are terrible specs for the money.

You can't put a price on FREEDOM. But you can itemize it as a value add, apparently.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/infinitap/devastated-dreams

Everything about this is amazingly awkward.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

This looks like an ad from 20 years ago what the hell

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WebDog posted:

There was a horrifically sad poster in the Ouya thread who had quit his reasonably stable job coding handhelds in the dreams that he'd be able to create his own games for Ouya - with the results of his labor being some sort of top down space shooter filled with programmer art and poorly thought out rules.
Did the Secret of Universe ever get out of alpha test stage?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
It got released on Amazon.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Furry vore game now in Early Access.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/384990/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_3

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Welp looks like Dreamzle makes alt Amazon accounts too. (There was one guy backing up the developer in the Ouya thread, he got outed one day when he forgot which account he was logged into and posted something that should have been posted from the alt account. It was hilarious, he was replying to his own posts with his alt account basically having a conversation with himself to try and make everything seem legit.)

quote:

That's what this game feels like, a Zelda game mixed with a space shooter. Complete with bind bending puzzles! Just like Zelda, you earn weapons and power ups that unlock more areas to explore. Obviously an indie game, but quality is still pretty good, I like the music, and it controls very well with the controller, it's just fun to fly around shooting things. The game actually kinda works with the FireTV Remote too, but it would be VERY hard to play that way. And it has none of those annoying "in app purchases".

This is EXACTLY how he was describing it in the Ouya thread.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Rudager posted:

Welp looks like Dreamzle makes alt Amazon accounts too. (There was one guy backing up the developer in the Ouya thread, he got outed one day when he forgot which account he was logged into and posted something that should have been posted from the alt account. It was hilarious, he was replying to his own posts with his alt account basically having a conversation with himself to try and make everything seem legit.)

This is EXACTLY how he was describing it in the Ouya thread.

"10/10, it's ok"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

door Door door posted:

Physical disconnects for recording and wireless stuff is actually a cool and useful feature.
Which comes at a $89 extra cost!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

I'm not sure if I said it before, but if I had to describe the game, it looks a lot like Popeye with somehow worse design. Also the whole unnecessary furry fetish aspect, but that probably goes without saying?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Awful Kickstarters: Also the whole unnecessary furry fetish aspect, but that probably goes without saying?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Really surprised Red Ash hasn't been brought up yet. Enjoy this "gameplay prototype"!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Hey, they did finally get around to adding a "you get the full game" pledge level. For $80. :v:

... Oh, and got the thing funded by a proper publisher before the kickstarter even ended. Stay classy, Inafune. :thumbsup:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Edward_Tohr posted:

... Oh, and got the thing funded by a proper publisher before the kickstarter even ended.
Oh... no...?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh... no...?

And they're still accepting people's money via the kickstarter even though they don't need any of it anymore, so yes, oh no

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

CJacobs posted:

And they're still accepting people's money via the kickstarter even though they don't need any of it anymore, so yes, oh no

STRETCH GOALS

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

How dare they make more money?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

TetsuoTW posted:

It's not the "making more money" bit, it's the part where the Kickstarter was originally to fund the game, but then with five days left to go they pulled a "psych! We got all the money we need from elsewhere!".

Not that it matters, as it's still more than $300,000 from meeting its goal, but you'd think that if they could get funding and a mockup done before the Kickstarter ends, they could have done it before it started, too.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

TetsuoTW posted:

Listen, CJacobs is the god-king emperor decider person about how other people should spend their money, and this is bad! You can't like, question it, man. There's a project, and CJacobs doesn't like that project so therefore it's a bad Kickstarter. Same goes for all the other products CJacobs doesn't buy. If they were good things then CJacobs would purchase them, but CJacobs does not purchase them so therefore they are not good. CJacobs never wastes money on frivolities themselves.

Also, we all know that publishers provide infinite funding for games so therefore there's no reason a developer would ever see a need for having more resources to work on the project they want to work on. That's just sound logic, and like I said, CJacobs kind of calls the shots on this, so I hope that helps.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

ErIog posted:

Listen, CJacobs is the god-king emperor decider person about how other people should spend their money, and this is bad! You can't like, question it, man. There's a project, and CJacobs doesn't like that project so therefore it's a bad Kickstarter. Same goes for all the other products CJacobs doesn't buy. If they were good things then CJacobs would purchase them, but CJacobs does not purchase them so therefore they are not good. CJacobs never wastes money on frivolities themselves.

Also, we all know that publishers provide infinite funding for games so therefore there's no reason a developer would ever see a need for having more resources to work on the project they want to work on. That's just sound logic, and like I said, CJacobs kind of calls the shots on this, so I hope that helps.

Jesus Christ, this is the biggest overreaction to a post I've seen in a long time.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

ErIog posted:

You're loving stupid

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

bvoid posted:

Jesus Christ, this is the biggest overreaction to a post I've seen in a long time.

It's absurd, isn't it! It's almost like I wasn't being 100% serious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007