Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Endorph posted:

these two things aren't really comparable in weirdness

Groping frogment and your avatar are quite comparable in weirdness.

No I kid.

ANYWAY! Back to my original post. Are there any recent RPGs with an old-school feel to them that don't star really anime children?

(Oh and yes I played DQ9 several years back)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

define 'anime children'

like is 16 too young? 18? what's with the anime thing, when breath of fire is anime as gently caress?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Dragon Quarter was a legitimately fun game, yeah. If it had been released as Breath of Fire: Dungeons or something nobody would have complained.

I was going to say they did, because they dropped the "V" for the English releases and it was the only one with a subtitle, but then I found out 1 + 2 had subtitles in Japan. Although it makes it easy to see why they dropped that from the first game's English release since the subtitle for that was "The Dragon Warrior," which somehow makes me think of Mad Max more than Dragon Quest just because of how it's phrased.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

khy posted:

ANYWAY! Back to my original post. Are there any recent RPGs with an old-school feel to them that don't star really anime children?

Are you looking for specifically jRPG style? Because there are plenty of Etrian Odyssey games but those are closer to Wizardry than Final Fantasy. Actually there are a lot of good old-school FP-RPGs like that around lately.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Are you looking for specifically jRPG style? Because there are plenty of Etrian Odyssey games but those are closer to Wizardry than Final Fantasy. Actually there are a lot of good old-school FP-RPGs like that around lately.

try reading to the end of the question next time

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you want a competent protagonist in an old-school-ish game, then Radiant Historia is your best bet.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Heavy neutrino posted:

Just figure out tricks and methods to survive the early game. The difficulty evens out later on because your character's EXP gains are based roughly on the stats of stuff you kill, therefore you level up faster on the higher difficulties. I imagine you're not playing Plus since you didn't mention the new companions, but while the King is not particularly hard to find, the Duke is a real pain in the rear end, since you need to make him friendly with a rare-ish item before you can recruit him, and he's a very, very rare spawn to begin with.
I actually am playing plus. I got tired of waiting for steam and grabbed it off playism.

I'm just trying to pick a difficulty that is the most rewarding. I guess seeing companion endings isn't a big deal since no progression is tied to it?

I get to about 600km right now on grueling focusing on a bard (hence the companion angle) and then usually die from attrition. Typically an evil monster spawn and like multiple red stars kill me. Can't keep dashing forever!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Terper posted:

Radiant Historia is your best bet.
All that needs to be said, really.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
On the cover of Radiant Historia, I see anime children.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

I really think that BoF3 was my favorite in the series. The characters were fleshed out and more interesting than in previous entries, the gene system is still my favorite dragon system in any of the games (I spent HOURS experimenting with all the various combinations, I remember writing them all down in a notebook to keep track), the world was interesting and I didn't mind the child characters as much in that game. Either because it was only 2 (Technically 3) or maybe it was because they got more interesting post-timeskip or something IDK.

My favourite was BoF4, but it's a close thing, with both games being quite similar in many aspects. What I hate and what I love in both games tends to equal each other out, but BoF4 has fishing down perfectly: It's more realistic and just feels more natural, if that makes sense. So BoF4 takes first place for me by a slim margin.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Super Ninja Fish posted:

On the cover of Radiant Historia, I see anime children.

Just one anime child. I think Marco is a hobbit or something.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

khy posted:

No I kid.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/337850/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/262060/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/292030/

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Francis posted:

try reading to the end of the question next time

My bad, I missed he was talking specifically about only DQ/BOF-likes.

Or if you're talking about the 'anime children' part, you build your own party in EO and most of them have decent non-children portraits available. But I see he already mentioned he doesn't have a 3DS anyway.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So Mingle Mode in TWEWY is basically a proto streetpass thing? How do you get aliens in there?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It used to be other players, but if it finds none after a while it'll just generate a fake one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

You absolutely have. One of the strong points of (good) Tales games is that a good percentage of the characters have their own distinctive playstyles. It gives them a lot of replayability too.

Until you play as Karol because he's clunky poo poo and then you need to fight a fast-moving boss as him :(

Codiekitty posted:

Hades, maybe I'll give him a shot when I reach him. I mean, I'm going to have to beat one of these guys if I want Dagger's final summon.

Hades is actually much easier than Ozma since he's a fast-paced but still very normal boss fight. Ozma isn't about getting strong characters, its whole point is a test to see how well you understand the game's damage formulas and optimal loadouts. It's a completely different kind of encounter the likes of which don't appear in the rest of the game.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 30, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Karol's fight with that one boss is really easy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Until you play as Karol because he's clunky poo poo and then you need to fight a fast-moving boss as him :

Not every character is good unfortunately. (Mages also tend to really suck with some rare exceptions.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Not gonna lie, I loved playing as Kiel and tapping the d-pad :v:

I have no clue what that accomplished, but still.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

Karol's fight with that one boss is really easy.

The boss itself sucks, but yeah, you don't even need to try to fight it with solo Karol. Running around in circles works just as well. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Something called Fairy Fencer F is coming to steam in like 5 days.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's a compile heart jrpg. it's probably the best they've made but it's still a compile heart jrpg, so it's decent at best.

good music though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They have Uematsu and his band working in their music sweatshop these days. This is the most FF battle theme sounding thing ever.
Well that and whoever the hell made this Power Rangers sounding theme.

HGH fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 30, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

They have Uematsu and his band working in their music sweatshop these days.
Well that and whoever the hell made this Power Rangers sounding theme.
that song is the best part of the game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

khy posted:

No I kid.

Elminage Gothic?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Elminage Gothic looked kinda cool but then I leveled up, saw RNG-based HP gains and nope this game isn't for me

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Endorph posted:

define 'anime children'

like is 16 too young? 18? what's with the anime thing, when breath of fire is anime as gently caress?

Well, a short while ago I asked that same question people pointed me towards recently released JRPGs on steam and when I looked at them I had a hard time determining whether or not the main protagonist was supposed to be 20 or 12. They also referred me to Persona series, which while I am certain they have some great games, definitely isn't the right series for me. Recettear is another one that I've had recommended to me about seven or eight times but it just doesn't appeal to me.

I do like anime, but something about the character designs in those games really does not appeal.

In terms of gameplay I'm sort of hoping for a DQ-style/Breath-Of-Fire style turn-based party combat. Customizable classes is a huge plus; I loved DQ7's system more than anything, but BoF has never let me down in terms of having enough choice to always be able to make what I feel is an ideal party.

Bonus points for awesome tiger characters. Rei is still hands down one of my favorite RPG characters despite how his life is nothing but failure and tragedy.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 30, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's an older game, but if you haven't played it, definitely try Grandia 2 when they release the fixed-for-modern-tech PC version on Steam. It doesn't have an awesome tiger man, but it does have an awesome lion man, if that's still your thing

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

It's an older game, but if you haven't played it, definitely try Grandia 2 when they release the fixed-for-modern-tech PC version on Steam. It doesn't have an awesome tiger man, but it does have an awesome lion man, if that's still your thing

Grandia 2 was one of my favorite games on my Dreamcast; when I got the PS2 version after selling my Dreamcast, I was severely disappointed with the slowdowns. I will DEFINITELY be looking into the Steam version, thank you!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Bravely Default and the upcoming Legend of Legacy is probably what you want. I'd say the Legend of Heroes series has the turn based combat you want but likely not the character customization you want. Also if you are looking specifically for recent steam JRPGs, Trails in the Sky of Legend of Heroes was probably the first game recommended to you.

If you can go outside anime aesthetics, then Stick of Truth is really good for a Southpark RPG.

If you can stomach a kid character aesthetic that eventually transforms into a more teenage aesthetic, then Child of Light is pretty good and has zany characters but the writing can get under your skin.

The FFX/X-2 remasters are probably the closest thing to your criteria, but they are remasters so you have probably already seen them. Wakka is kind of a Lion dude's name and looks like a Lion if you squint real hard.

Honestly it's not your criteria for children that is holding you back, it's just there are not very many turn based combat JRPGs left. You are probably missing out on the Atelier games if you dislike the children aesthetic. All other turn based combat games are being used in dungeon crawlers for the most part which are usually light on plot/character interaction.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 30, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

khy posted:

Well, a short while ago I asked that same question people pointed me towards recently released JRPGs on steam and when I looked at them I had a hard time determining whether or not the main protagonist was supposed to be 20 or 12. They also referred me to Persona series, which while I am certain they have some great games, definitely isn't the right series for me. Recettear is another one that I've had recommended to me about seven or eight times but it just doesn't appeal to me.

I do like anime, but something about the character designs in those games really does not appeal.

In terms of gameplay I'm sort of hoping for a DQ-style/Breath-Of-Fire style turn-based party combat. Customizable classes is a huge plus; I loved DQ7's system more than anything, but BoF has never let me down in terms of having enough choice to always be able to make what I feel is an ideal party.

Bonus points for awesome tiger characters. Rei is still hands down one of my favorite RPG characters despite how his life is nothing but failure and tragedy.

buy etrian odyssey 4, make a party of adults. there

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Final Fantasy Explorers looks like it could be fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq5Lbkz3AZY

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
EO4 is really good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Wakka is kind of a Lion dude's name and looks like a Lion if you squint real hard
also, you know, kimahri

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

Something called Fairy Fencer F is coming to steam in like 5 days.

Fairy Fencer F plays like a Neptunia game but is better, I guess. It didn't grab me when I played it on the PS3 but I didn't see anything all that objectionable either. The main character is an rear end in a top hat and that's the only defining trait of any character I remember.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Davincie posted:

EO is awesome. It brings me back to the days of dungeon crawling with graph paper.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Speaking of EO is there any word on how they're handling the (apparently) much-maligned EOU2 DLC with the western release? I'd like to play EO2 with better mechanics but I've heard the DLC screws up the mapping to a certain extent.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Speaking of EO is there any word on how they're handling the (apparently) much-maligned EOU2 DLC with the western release? I'd like to play EO2 with better mechanics but I've heard the DLC screws up the mapping to a certain extent.

Most of the DLC (aside from the grinding DLC and some other ones) will be free upon the first week they're released. As for the ones that affect the map, they seal off a small portion of the map. Nothing too big, and it only affects 3 floors. Though there is one that adds a whole new floor.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Davincie posted:

There's even a cool beast race in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the story mode in EOU2 awful like in EOU1. I wanna play the new unique class but story mode killed it for me in 1