Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That's bizarre, but not actually terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

owns

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

White Dog Eggs posted:

Hah!! Where abouts?

A small village just outside Newport.

darkwasthenight posted:

Man, what are the chances of both of the people from Shropshire who know what a computer is turning up in the same thread?

I am not from Shropshire, I only live there. (It's quite nice).

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
steampunk ukulele bass, fretless

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Actuary X posted:

this is deeply upsetting

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Actuary X posted:

:commissar:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Actuary X posted:

this is acceptable if and only if that's a wind-up metronome

and if he ditches the loving goggles, jesus

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

First time I ever looked at this thread judging by this page it's a piece of loving poo poo retarrd gay rear end thread I hope you're all tortured to death hahaha idiots

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JebanyPedal posted:

First time I ever looked at this thread judging by this page it's a piece of loving poo poo retarrd gay rear end thread I hope you're all tortured to death hahaha idiots

pretty good impression to get from this page tbh

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

Dewgy posted:

But the goggles are the only thing making that instrument look good to him by completely blacking out his vision.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

JebanyPedal posted:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

JebanyPedal posted:

That's the best you got?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

But the goggles are the only thing making that instrument look good to him by completely blacking out his vision.

i'm biased because i think uke basses are cool but i own one of these so it's not like i know what i'm talking about :

sout
Apr 24, 2014

JebanyPedal posted:

This is a pretty weird thread.
When I joined it was called "bathroom recording tips" or something, I dunno what the original title was.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Actuary X posted:

I don't understand how one can pose for this without a hint of shame

e. maybe the goggles cover it idk

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
I re-wound some weirdass pickups recently!

They look pretty normal here, just some slightly gnarly old humbuckers....

But when you open them up... Surprise!

They were taken from cheapass Japanese 70's copy guitars (the matching set came from a Vester SG, can't remember where the gold one is from but it was a Les Paul). The internals are actually fairly similar to Teisco-style pickups and the sound was pretty similar (slightly punchier perhaps), however they were so stupidly microphonic that I re-wound the copper coils entirely rather than just wax-pot them.

I now have no idea what to do with them.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

JebanyPedal posted:

There are many ways to mourn the loss of the #swole thread, but this is not a good way.

nice gumby horse shirt.

Dewgy posted:

:agreed:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

sout posted:

This is a pretty weird thread.
When I joined it was called "bathroom recording tips" or something, I dunno what the original title was.

"Post ugly guitars itt", I think.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

pointlessone posted:

"Post ugly guitars itt", I think.

and then someone posted faustus' jems and everything picked up steam from there

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nooo I ruined the thread by posting those pickups!

To make up for this shame, have a picture of a Hondo UFO;

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Sharknado: The Guitar

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sharknado: The Guitar

It looks like a poo poo star trek weapon and I'm ok with that.

Someone offered to sell me a Hagstrom for a hideous amount of money recently, looked like this but red

He wasn't sure what all the buttons did.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

don't forget its companion the h1

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

Blend, purée, crush, etc.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

White Dog Eggs posted:

Nooo I ruined the thread by posting those pickups!

counterbalance?? gently caress that nerd poo poo this looks badass as hellllll

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

White Dog Eggs posted:

It looks like a poo poo star trek weapon and I'm ok with that.

Someone offered to sell me a Hagstrom for a hideous amount of money recently, looked like this but red

Those Tremar arms go for quite a lot by themselves. I know because I've been after one for years and they get snapped up way above my price point. They're like a more ornate, creakier offset trem.

Incidentally that's really cool and, blender buttons aside, does not belong in this thread.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

don't forget its companion the h1

That is loving ridiculous. I want a blazing pink one.

Sockington posted:

Blend, purée, crush, etc.

I want a row of buttons from an old blender so, so badly. Haven't been able to find one though.

Incidentally, the gooncaster (if anyone remembers that) is still totally on the cards. I've got a template roughed out, although I was thinking that I might just make the loving thing out of MDF.

darkwasthenight posted:

Those Tremar arms go for quite a lot by themselves. I know because I've been after one for years and they get snapped up way above my price point. They're like a more ornate, creakier offset trem.

Incidentally that's really cool and, blender buttons aside, does not belong in this thread.

Guy wanted £2k for his, it was well loved but everything was working and it came with an armoured case that looked like one of those old metal caravans. Also, because I said right off the bat that I wasn't interested in it, he wouldn't let me touch it, which was funny as gently caress.

Anyone posted this yet? Maton Wedgtail,

I got asked to design one in CAD a while back, I had it printed full size and it looks amazingly stupid.

Also, this is the opposite of stupid, but a facebook friend just made this from an old barn door;

sout
Apr 24, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

Also, this is the opposite of stupid, but a facebook friend just made this from an old barn door;

Nice, but I hope he plays wearing sleeves so he doesn't get a splinter or something.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

sout posted:

Nice, but I hope he plays wearing sleeves so he doesn't get a splinter or something.

I think he's going to coat it in epoxy or UV Cure poly to fill the gaps.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I still want a burned guitar body like this technique where the outside is burned then sealed in epoxy

http://freshome.com/2013/12/30/jaw-dropping-design-effects-charred-wood-unveiled-yaroslav-galant/

I tried doing that on basswood but guess what it turns to dust :v:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

That is loving ridiculous. I want a blazing pink one.

a polish company called ran makes a copy called obscura, pretty sure they can make one in pink

http://ranguitars.com/artists/obscura

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

I still want a burned guitar body like this technique where the outside is burned then sealed in epoxy

http://freshome.com/2013/12/30/jaw-dropping-design-effects-charred-wood-unveiled-yaroslav-galant/

I tried doing that on basswood but guess what it turns to dust :v:

Link isn't loading for me, but if I was going to try this, I'd use Ash (NOT swamp-ash, the dense stuff), Beech, Oak or maybe even Maple.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Well I just unblocked the floyd rose on my MII and spent all of jams last night finishing each song with stupid ridiculous slayer divebombs with everything on my pedalboard turned on and it's the most fun I've had playing guitar since, like, ever.

Also here is my pedalboard. Still need to build a proper killswitch but it's almost done. Features a 4 channel patchbay, hidden wireless and an A/B selector for switching to wired in case (ie. when) the wireless fucks itself. I didn't deliberately buy all TC electronic stuff but a couple people I know were selling theirs and it's pretty great bang for buck in terms of flexibility

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

White Dog Eggs posted:

Link isn't loading for me, but if I was going to try this, I'd use Ash (NOT swamp-ash, the dense stuff), Beech, Oak or maybe even Maple.

Thanks for the wood advice I think I'll try it again once I find a dirt cheap beater body with better wood.

The description of the process is a little ridiculous, I'm going to have to figure out how much of it is bullshit

quote:

How it is made? The wood of the furniture is carbonized at a temperature of approximately 2000 F. The short time of burning the wood makes the surface charring and it obtains the color, texture and the specific appearance of burnt, while inside the timber remains intact.

After the burnt wood cools down, it is impregnated with a special substance named epioftonol. This stabilizes and strengthens the burned wood while the color and texture are dependent of the substance concentration. Epioftonol is a substance invented and patented by Yaroslav Galant. The crystallization process of the substance on the wood lasts from a week to a month. In the end the furniture is varnished.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Snowy posted:

Thanks for the wood advice I think I'll try it again once I find a dirt cheap beater body with better wood.

The description of the process is a little ridiculous, I'm going to have to figure out how much of it is bullshit

that sounds a lot like dressed up copy, but i havent taken a blowtorch to a guitar so i'm not entirely an expert.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

Burning it's the easy part (dense wood, high heat, char it till it looks good), the finishing process will be harder. No idea what 'epioftonol' is (google just links to charred furniture) but I'm guessing it's either some sort of epoxy or poly finish. The epoxy stuff that's used to seal concrete floors should work just fine, failing that you could go fancy and use something like Solarez UV cure poly (apply in a dark room, wait 10 minutes for it to level and for bubbles to disperse, then drag it out in sunlight, stuff sets in minutes, it's great).

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

White Dog Eggs posted:

Solarez UV cure poly (apply in a dark room, wait 10 minutes for it to level and for bubbles to disperse, then drag it out in sunlight, stuff sets in minutes, it's great).
Fuckin' polymers. How do THEY work?!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
He speaks the treble and thinks the rhythm. Jesus Cyclops switch.

Greasy Groove posted:

Fabulous custom made suround made to match our Jesus line of parts, the colors are impregnated into high gloss plastic. Make your guitar an original with this awesome religious part! Great if you play a Gibson or Epiphone Les Paul, SG or other model with this type of switch surround!

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

He speaks the treble and thinks the rhythm. Jesus Cyclops switch.

Greasy Groove are great, they have hundreds of horrible designs... They do whole turn shroud sets! More Jesus = More Tone.

They also do this;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

Anyone posted this yet? Maton Wedgtail,

why the hell are the tuners like that. why.

• Locked thread