Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

i am harry posted:

Why are white cops so afraid of black men when they die so easily...

Here's a real question: Who remembers Cops (the show)? I know society is moving pretty quickly but we've gone from watching police chase crackheads under houses to POV "silencing" of civilians in 20 short years.

Things are getting better, not worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

i am harry posted:

Who remembers Cops (the show)?

I do. When I had only basic cable I used to watch it all the time.

My favorite and most remembered officer (mainly due to recent events) was from Des Moines, IA (I'm in Iowa, so that also helps with the remembering).

Almost every time he pulled up to a scene he'd open with, "Hey guys, what's going on?" or "Hi, how's it going?" or "What's up?".

Didn't matter if it was a traffic stop or domestic or a stolen car or drunk and disorderly or victim questioning or whatever.

Sometimes given the situation at hand he'd need to have his hand on his un-snapped weapon when asking these questions, but those questions worked every time that I remember.

Deescalate.

I'm seriously thinking about using that word as a signature everywhere always.

Deescalate.

Deescalate.

Deescalate.

"Hey guys, how's it going?"

ETA: The other reason I remember the guy is that there were plenty of assholes on forces back then. He was unique at the time too.

Deescalate.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 31, 2015

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

One time a floor manager at a large hardware store deescalated me when I got all worked up because the cashier couldn't process a refund on something she overcharged me for without my phone number and I refused to give it to them because gently caress you Stine you don't need my phone number and neither does China's building 345 or whoever the hackers will be who inevitably wind up with it.

All I'm saying is if a dude who gets payed ~$9 with no benefits and no training can do it in his spare time...

Vahakyla posted:

Things are getting better, not worse.

You mean the cops of 1995 would have killed upwards of 800+ people by August instead of the 670 we're hovering near today?

i am harry fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 31, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

i am harry posted:

One time a floor manager at a large hardware store deescalated me when I got all worked up because the cashier couldn't process a refund on something she overcharged me for without my phone number and I refused to give it to them because gently caress you Stine you don't need my phone number and neither does China's building 345 or whoever the hackers will be who inevitably wind up with it.

All I'm saying is if a dude who gets payed ~$9 with no benefits and no training can do it in his spare time...

You mean the cops of 1995 would have killed upwards of 800+ people by August instead of the 670 we're hovering near today?

The cops of 1995 were probably killing at least at the rate we have today. The difference is that in 1995 there were no body cameras and literally zero social media to bring attention from police abuse to the national stage within hours or even minutes of it happening. What you're experiencing in 2015 is actually all of the abuse that's been happening for years that's only now becoming publicly visible thanks to modern media and technology. The Rodney King trial only occurred as it did because someone just happened to have a camcorder and taped the incident from his balcony; there were no other cameras like dash cams, and the beating would have otherwise gone covered up.

It's the same reason people in the US think that we're facing more mass shootings and murders than ever before despite both of these actually being on a decline. As the world becomes more interconnected and global news more accessible, every bad thing that happens everywhere is immediately accessible (for big events like the Ferguson protests, you can even get live footage streamed as it happens).

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 31, 2015

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

What you're experiencing in 2015 is actually all of the abuse that's been happening for years that's only now becoming publicly visible thanks to modern media and technology.

Yes. I know. I wish someone of volume would call this like it is.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

chitoryu12 posted:

The cops of 1995 were probably killing at least at the rate we have today. The difference is that in 1995 there were no body cameras and literally zero social media to bring attention from police abuse to the national stage within hours or even minutes of it happening. What you're experiencing in 2015 is actually all of the abuse that's been happening for years that's only now becoming publicly visible thanks to modern media and technology. The Rodney King trial only occurred as it did because someone just happened to have a camcorder and taped the incident from his balcony; there were no other cameras like dash cams, and the beating would have otherwise gone covered up.

It's the same reason people in the US think that we're facing more mass shootings and murders than ever before despite both of these actually being on a decline. As the world becomes more interconnected and global news more accessible, every bad thing that happens everywhere is immediately accessible (for big events like the Ferguson protests, you can even get live footage streamed as it happens).

Surely though we were reporting riots on the scale of Ferguson - I'm thinking off the top of my head of the riots in Watts or LA. It's not the sort of thing you need modern mass media to communicate.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Starshark posted:

Surely though we were reporting riots on the scale of Ferguson - I'm thinking off the top of my head of the riots in Watts or LA. It's not the sort of thing you need modern mass media to communicate.

Around the time the Tea Party started organizing protests there was a big protest for gay rights (don't remember if it was specifically for getting rid of DADT or more a general thing), but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't know even at the time because it hardly got any coverage in the news. Before streaming everything became viable it was very easy to just ignore things you didn't want people to know about.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Starshark posted:

When there was media coverage (Rodney King), you got riots. Modern mass media (meaning the ability for individuals to bring forward coverage of events) has been critically important to the entire thing over the past year or two.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Starshark posted:

True, but for the record, the watts and 1992 riots were on a much larger scale than Ferguson, and were a lot more violent and destructive.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The point is that things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8CNa_viKg0

e: gosh it's already been 6 years how time flies :shobon:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So what's the under/over on where/when the next major riot is going to be

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

So what's the under/over on where/when the next major riot is going to be

i think at least a twelve

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
http://www.newnownext.com/gay-man-pulled-from-home-beaten-by-nypd-officers-yelling-human being-in-horrifying-video/07/2015/

There was literally no reason for these officers to do this. This is why I call cops pigs. gently caress the police. I am fuming. I demand these officers to be fired, arrested, and the man in the video to be made a millionaire and the whole NYPD to be purged of any officers with this kind of attitude. Nothing justifies this. It is a hate crime. I will be sure I never call the police again. If they need help, this lesbian won't cooperate. The NYPD have long demonstrated that they cannot be trusted. They'd call me a dyke and beat me too and then lie and frame me.

quote:

http://www.newnownext.com/gay-man-pulled-from-home-beaten-by-nypd-officers-yelling-human being-in-horrifying-video/07/2015/

A gay Staten Island man is suing the NYPD after four officers dragged him from his home last month before violently beating him in the front yard while repeatedly yelling homophobic slurs.

Louis Falcone, 31, told the New York Daily News that officers arrived at the home he shares with his 66-year-old mother on June 19 to investigate a noise complaint. He had been arguing loudly with his brother an hour earlier, who had come home in an “obnoxiously drunk” stupor and left before police arrived to investigate the noise.

Related: Man Who Violently Assaulted Gay Couple At Dallas BBQ Claims Self Defense: “I Am The Victim”

“As I’m talking to them through the screen door, they’re saying to come outside,” said Falcone. “I said, ‘For what?'”

Falcone added that his dog began barking from inside the house, to which an officer said, “Get your dog out of here or I”ll loving kill it!”

Falcone also had surgery on his foot recently and was wearing a boot, but that didn’t stop the four aggressive officers from purposefully stepping on it after pulling him from his home illegally for a violent, unprovoked beating on the front lawn.
Falcone’s version of events was confirmed by a video obtained by the Daily News, which was shot from a neighbor’s window across the street. In it, Falcone is heard screaming for mercy while the officers mercilessly pile on top of him.

“They threw me against the concrete in front of my house. My first reaction was to try to get up a little bit,” Falcone explained. “While I was on the ground, I had mud and blood in my mouth. One [of the cops] said, ‘Don’t let it get on you, he probably has AIDS, the human being.’”

Falcone begged the officers to be careful with his foot during the beating, a request they took as an invitation. “They’re hitting me for no reason. One puts his knee on my neck. They were all piling on top of me,” he recalled. “I said, ‘Please, I just had surgery on my foot. One of the cops stepped on my foot. Another cop comes and steps on my head.”

Falcone is suing the NYPD for violating his civil rights, not to mention the injuries he suffered.

According to Falcone, the attack left him with “a broken nose, two black eyes, cuts to his face and body, and…more foot surgery.”

“How can you do that – four people on one skinny, scrawny little guy?” Falcone’s attorney, Eric Subin asked. “They’re criminals; they belong behind bars.”

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Mandy Thompson posted:

There was literally no reason for these officers to do this. This is why I call cops pigs. gently caress the police. I am fuming. I demand these officers to be fired, arrested, and the man in the video to be made a millionaire and the whole NYPD to be purged of any officers with this kind of attitude. Nothing justifies this. It is a hate crime. I will be sure I never call the police again. If they need help, this lesbian won't cooperate. The NYPD have long demonstrated that they cannot be trusted. They'd call me a dyke and beat me too and then lie and frame me.

You can expect the neighbor to be raided shortly and the video confiscated (along with all the computers in his house).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mandy Thompson posted:

They couldn't even come up with a BS charge to blame the beating on.

Edit: appears that people are actually accusing Falcone of lying about the police using slurs. :rolleyes:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

i am harry posted:

The point is that things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8CNa_viKg0

e: gosh it's already been 6 years how time flies :shobon:

:catstare:

Is that some army guys just reverse-carjacking a dude in an unmarked car? What the gently caress?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Everblight posted:

:catstare:

Is that some army guys just reverse-carjacking a dude in an unmarked car? What the gently caress?

Unmarked car pulls up, police put man in unmarked car, car drives off, man is never heard from again.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grem posted:

Unmarked car pulls up, police put man in unmarked car, car drives off, man is never heard from again.

The excuse CPD usually gives is that since there are no records you can't request any information pertaining to it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Grem posted:

I probably don't want to know the answer to this, but why were the police dressed like Army guys? Even SWAT/milsurp cops have giant POLICE letters on their gear.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.fox19.com/story/29680189/hamilton-co-prosecutor-no-charges-against-other-officers-in-shooting-of-sam-dubose

The two other officers in the DuBose stop will not be charged or disciplined; their statements in the investigation matched the video; I believe, from the press conference announcing Tensing's charging, that they made statements before they saw the video.

quote:

Deters went on to say that some confusion occurred in the initial incident report but the officers were truthful and honest about what happened in the fatal officer-involved shooting.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

http://www.fox19.com/story/29680189/hamilton-co-prosecutor-no-charges-against-other-officers-in-shooting-of-sam-dubose

The two other officers in the DuBose stop will not be charged or disciplined; their statements in the investigation matched the video; I believe, from the press conference announcing Tensing's charging, that they made statements before they saw the video.

The "confusion" was that Kidd either lied initially, or the person taking the report completely botched his statement.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 31, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The "confusion" was that Kidd either lied initially, or the person taking the report completely botched his statement.

You're talking about Weibel's report? The sentence, "Officer Kidd told me that he witnessed the Honda Accord drag Officer Tensing, and that he witnessed Officer Tensing fire a single shot."?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You're talking about Weibel's report? The sentence, "Officer Kidd told me that he witnessed the Honda Accord drag Officer Tensing, and that he witnessed Officer Tensing fire a single shot."?

Yep; from the one I posted up-thread (linked).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Yep; from the one I posted up-thread (linked).

Yeah. That's not enough to even discipline, much less to charge, absent that statement in his actual report, or in subsequent statements to investigators, which per reports, did not happen.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Its also possible that he characterized it that way initially because that's what Tensing told him happened, people tend to be very suggestible.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
City reaches 3rd deadliest month with 43rd homicide

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Ray Tensing 2014 Traffic Stop with Multiple Rights Violations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt3sYSoV23g

Also...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX3va28JpSU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/sc-cop-killed-teen-with-two-shots-to-the-back-during-weed-bust-and-didnt-even-report-it-attorney/

quote:

The police chief, John Covington, said the officer felt threatened because Hammond drove right at him and fired his gun into the open driver’s side window, killing him.

Amazing shooting from the officer to both be in front of the car in fear of his life and able to fire shots through the driver's side window.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

DARPA posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/sc-cop-killed-teen-with-two-shots-to-the-back-during-weed-bust-and-didnt-even-report-it-attorney/

Amazing shooting from the officer to both be in front of the car in fear of his life and able to fire shots through the driver's side window.

Sometimes the cars are spinning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-jTywoJrSQ

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Thank goodness they had this footage to support the officers story.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They're doing the thing where they let the LEO have a good long while to hear the outcome of the investigation and make up his bullshit story about what happened to fit in with what's known.

quote:

The report makes no mention of the shooting, but the police chief said the officer would file a statement about it at some point.

Expect a statement after he thinks up a suitable lie that gels with the evidence.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DARPA posted:

This happened in my area years ago where an off duty cop who was moonlighting as a security guard stepped in from of a car of kids, shot into it and killed one in the back seat. They were allegedly doing a dine and dash but I don't think that was ever proven. He shoots at the car that was "trying to run him over" but the shots hit the side of the car. The prosecutor decided not to charge since the cop both did exactly what he should have by jumping in front of the moving van putting himself at risk and that since he feared for his life he was right to shoot.

Cops are good at hitting the sides of cars that are coming right at them. I suspect gunkata.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Radish posted:

This happened in my area years ago where an off duty cop who was moonlighting as a security guard stepped in from of a car of kids, shot into it and killed one in the back seat. They were allegedly doing a dine and dash but I don't think that was ever proven. He shoots at the car that was "trying to run him over" but the shots hit the side of the car. The prosecutor decided not to charge since the cop both did exactly what he should have by jumping in front of the moving van putting himself at risk and that since he feared for his life he was right to shoot.

Cops are good at hitting the sides of cars that are coming right at them. I suspect gunkata.
it's all about momentum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WkQ4f9G6ok

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They're doing the thing where they let the LEO have a good long while to hear the outcome of the investigation and make up his bullshit story about what happened to fit in with what's known.

That's the exact opposite of what they did with the shooting cop.

NigelsPoppet
Jul 22, 2015

Isn't that directly correlated to the police deciding to not do their jobs because "morale" is down?

"Oh so we get punished now for abusing our authority and killing innocent people? You're saying im accountable for my actions now? gently caress THAT IM NOT WORKING FOR REALS ANYMORE THIS IS SOOOOO UNFAIR"

Police are like little kids

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

AlexanderCA posted:

That's the exact opposite of what they did with the shooting cop.

Think he was referring to: http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/sc-cop-killed-teen-with-two-shots-to-the-back-during-weed-bust-and-didnt-even-report-it-attorney/

Seems like he'll get every benefit of the doubt from the department, even if the shooting looks incredibly bad. However (and wow it's still weird to say) it's South Carolina. It might actually get a fair investigation.

Not the UC campus cop.

Which while I have my doubts they would've done if it was Proper Cinci PD, I'm glad they let him crucify himself a bit. For a moment the staunch refusal to release video looked like your typical nothing-to-see-here.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yeah. That's not enough to even discipline, much less to charge, absent that statement in his actual report, or in subsequent statements to investigators, which per reports, did not happen.

I wish they'd release both Kidd & Lindenschmidt's written reports. The only one I've seen is the one I posted earlier; I suppose it was an OIC or something.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Everblight posted:

I probably don't want to know the answer to this, but why were the police dressed like Army guys? Even SWAT/milsurp cops have giant POLICE letters on their gear.
It was during the G-20 summit in Pittsburgh. Not that those facts explain anything..

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

MariusLecter posted:

Ray Tensing 2014 Traffic Stop with Multiple Rights Violations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt3sYSoV23g

Also...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX3va28JpSU

Is it just me or does Tensing look incredibly nervous and insecure once the supervisor shows up? Like almost ready to poo poo himself. A guy with insecurity issues plus a gun.... Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Choadmaster posted:

Is it just me or does Tensing look incredibly nervous and insecure once the supervisor shows up? Like almost ready to poo poo himself. A guy with insecurity issues plus a gun.... Yikes.

http://www.theonion.com/article/insecure-frustrated-bully-with-something-to-prove--33427

• Locked thread