Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah that's in windows 8 as well and really annoying

i'm pretty sure the logitech software i use overrides that drat feature but every so often it appears to bother me

idk i got a little volume wheel on my kb and the win8 one is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Windows 10 on those cheapo Win 8 tablets is looking good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5VITRLNbno

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
so on my MacBook or iMac in OS X if I plug in a set of headphones, all audio switches over immediately to the headphones. Likewise if i unplug them, audio goes back to the speakers. when I'm in win7 via boot camp, though, this doesn't happen and I have no idea how to make it. right now I have to close and re open any application to get it on the different device sometimes. I googled around and something said to disable the speakers, but instead of kicking any application that was using them to the headphones, the audio from those programs just disappears entirely until I relaunch even if i reenable the speakers.

does win8 or 10 fix this?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
context menus say hello to slider controls

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

so on my MacBook or iMac in OS X if I plug in a set of headphones, all audio switches over immediately to the headphones. Likewise if i unplug them, audio goes back to the speakers. when I'm in win7 via boot camp, though, this doesn't happen and I have no idea how to make it. right now I have to close and re open any application to get it on the different device sometimes. I googled around and something said to disable the speakers, but instead of kicking any application that was using them to the headphones, the audio from those programs just disappears entirely until I relaunch even if i reenable the speakers.

does win8 or 10 fix this?

did you try enabling immediate mode?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I can see where the 1 bil devices comes from...

THE INTERNET OF THINGS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADPwWbFRXMY

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dodoman posted:

did you try enabling immediate mode?

i had to look up immediate mode because I had never heard of it, and that doesn't seem like it would help. there's no toggle that says "when I plug in headphones switch all audio to them" because it all stays on the speakers until restart whatever program like Firefox or a video game.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

i had to look up immediate mode because I had never heard of it, and that doesn't seem like it would help. there's no toggle that says "when I plug in headphones switch all audio to them" because it all stays on the speakers until restart whatever program like Firefox or a video game.

is it a realtek chip?

e; tw - stackexchange

quote:

Activate the 'Mute the rear output device when a front headphone plugged in' under the advanced settings menu.
Click on the Folder Icon next to Analog.
Click on the 'Disable Front Panel Jack Detection' button.

I've got both green connectors set to headphone.

It has always worked for me.

or this apple help page for vista, but it might help

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 31, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

loving hilarious, what's up with that first one with like a foot of space between the control and the label

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

first one almost matches office 365

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

i'm the nearly consistent design philosophy of "on = yes" until the last one

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ive seen stuff like this via various googling but none seem to work or aren't the problem I'm having. It isnt a matter of detection. it's ive got my headphones in because I'm gaming or something and I want to show some people a video in Firefox, I have to unplug my headphones and restart Firefox for the audio to switch or vice versa. this is just something in win7 and it's been this way on multiple installs.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 31, 2015

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
in win7, the audio should switch automatically if your default sound output device changes. usually headphones will take over the default sound output when you plug them in, particularly on laptops, but it really depends on your sound drivers and settings, drivers do all sorts of garbage bullshit. it depends on who made your sound chip and which driver versions are installed and which port you've plugged your headphones into and what the phase of the moon is

the solution likely lies within your sound driver settings or a driver update, but the rest is up to you

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the question is (of course) Why is any of this under the control of the driver? and the answer is, as always, Wandows.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

in win7, the audio should switch automatically if your default sound output device changes. usually headphones will take over the default sound output when you plug them in, particularly on laptops, but it really depends on your sound drivers and settings, drivers do all sorts of garbage bullshit. it depends on who made your sound chip and which driver versions are installed and which port you've plugged your headphones into and what the phase of the moon is

the solution likely lies within your sound driver settings or a driver update, but the rest is up to you

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

though even if your default audio output device changes your default communication device may not change

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

literally every other device with a headphone jack on it solved this issue many years ago

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

we asked the slider control focus group which slider controls they liked best and they told us they liked all three designs!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

looks like failos 10 made his old poo poo tablet a useless pos. shagger care to comment??

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

first one almost matches office 365

they can't even decide whether to use lower or upper case

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Cardboard Box A posted:

12 months of product life ought to be enough for anyone

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I'm appalled by the lack of (Lync) right after Lync

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Main Paineframe posted:

it does switch for any programs that are opened after plugging in. it does not switch over anything currently open or playing sounds. those have to be restarted.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Gabe Aul, the insider head, is now VP of Windows Devices. Dat bonuses lookin good

http://m.windowscentral.com/windows-insider-head-gabe-aul-now-vp-engineering-systems-windows-and-devices-group

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

scamtank posted:

12 months of product life ought to be enough for anyone

the unofficial motto for windows phone 7

pram
Jun 10, 2001

gabe n'aul

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

it does switch for any programs that are opened after plugging in. it does not switch over anything currently open or playing sounds. those have to be restarted.

it should switch currently playing audio too, assuming that it is playing to "default audio device" rather than specifically choosing a specific device

actually, maybe that's a windows 8 behavior. i seem to remember having your same issue on win7. on win8 it correctly switches everything over though

program666
Aug 22, 2013

no, I use win 7 and it switches everything correctly. I recall having this problem at some point but I really don''t remember why. I think it had something to do with me messing with the "default speaker" stuff.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

like, clicking with the right mouse button on the speaker tray icon then open "Playback devices" and the very first list has a multitude of stuff sometimes, thanks to hdmi and other stuff that is recognized as audio devices. Maybe it's something there, your main speakers should be checked with a green V to indicate it's the default device. Also click with the right mouse button on this list and check "show disabled devices" maybe there is something disabled that shouldn't.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
ill gently caress around with it more when I'm in front of my computer.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Triglav posted:

im guessing these two similar dialogs are colored differently because one's originally from xp and the other's originally from vista?

if you want to be technically correct, the top one isn't a dialog box.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i installed windows 10 and everything worked perfectly. then i look at people's screenshots and try to find the same settings on my machine and they aren't there or are different, so basically what i'm saying is that if you don't have the professional version then you done hosed up

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

duTrieux. posted:

i installed windows 10 and everything worked perfectly. then i look at people's screenshots and try to find the same settings on my machine and they aren't there or are different, so basically what i'm saying is that if you don't have the professional version then you done hosed up

That big rear end jpg with the crazy scrawling is from the beta

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

then why are people still posting it

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
It's sad when Linux has a better consistent UI then you.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

duTrieux. posted:

For the sick burns

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
kde doesn't even have 2 control panels (unless you have yast)

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong

duTrieux. posted:

A vision of what almost was

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

ill gently caress around with it more when I'm in front of my computer.

see if you have this option and if it makes a difference

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

if a "doghouse" is an unironic part of your romantic relationship as opposed to, like, a healthy channel of communication about both partners' wants and concerns then lol @ u

not surprising that this person is also a windows user

it's horse mans :newlol:

• Locked thread