Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Useless Shotgun posted:

However Trump ends his campaign, I hope he ends it like Nixon handled his 'last' press conference.

I prefer the Herman Cain exit speech, honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jV_11_q6Hc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Silent Majority? I'd say that's more associated with Reagan than Nixon.

you're thinking moral majority

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'd rather trump get the nomination than walker

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I really hope Graham is polling at the bottom because he's a warmongering hawk and not because the primary voters think he's gay. It'd be nice to see voters not supporting someone that wants to start a war with every country he meets.

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Useless Shotgun posted:

However Trump ends his campaign, I hope he ends it like Nixon handled his 'last' press conference.

i hope he ends it the same way he began it

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

I really hope Graham is polling at the bottom because he's a warmongering hawk and not because the primary voters think he's gay. It'd be nice to see voters not supporting someone that wants to start a war with every country he meets.

Hope all you want but you're wrong.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'd rather trump get the nomination than walker

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

DaveWoo posted:

Silent Majority? I'd say that's more associated with Reagan than Nixon.

You'd be wrong, to which other have already alluded.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
There's a dude I work with, one of the night managers, who is all in for Trump lol

He's exactly the kind of dude you think he is. His facebook feed is :freep:.txt

He posted this long post after the gay marriage SCOTUS decision came down he posted this long screed that was basically "LGBT are teh evil!!" then when he got called out by the gay HR supervisor he posted a meme that said "Just because I disagree doesn't mean I don't like you"

It's loving great

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm disappointed that he isn't going to make the main debate to poo poo all over Rand and Trump. He'd be more effective going after Rand, but now, nothing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Yes. Nu metal. "Real good" regardless of time period. Music that could only have come from the mean streets of Agoura Hills, California where street sweeping is performed but twice a week and the HOAs will wreck your poo poo if you look at them sideways. Twenty-somethings screaming about their parents being total drags, but tempered in such a way to allow the children of said parents to blast these rebellious anthems from their bedrooms (I said close that door, Jonathan!) with impunity. Ageless. Classic.

Somewhere, a kid found his older brother's stack of old CDs and thinks this band called Linkin Park is old school.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The X-man cometh posted:

I'm disappointed that he isn't going to make the main debate to poo poo all over Rand and Trump. He'd be more effective going after Rand, but now, nothing.

Yeah for real. Graham is a fine speaker and he's pretty good at parliamentary procedure and debating in the Senate. I was looking forward to him loving with Rand the whole time, but now we've got Trump and I'll take him over Graham any day.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Star Man posted:

Somewhere, a kid found his older brother's stack of old CDs and thinks this band called Linkin Park is old school.

But what would a kid use to play that outdated technology?

Useless Shotgun posted:

Let's just hope it doesn't end with him as President. He is the second worst. (Scott Walker is the worst.)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Spacebump posted:

But what would a kid use to play that outdated technology?

His PS4 or Xbone.

I mean, poo poo, my PSX and PS2 were my CD players that I had the audio cables hooked up to a stereo.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

DOOP posted:

Linkin Park's music hasn't aged well, but l will maintain their first few albums were real good for that time period

That's just like, my opinion man

This thread has been 800 pages of Republican candidates saying the most hateful things, but this is the most reprehensible opinion I've read so far.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Sir Tonk posted:

If it makes you feel any better I think it's because he's a filthy RINO who supports illegals (Lindsey Grahamnesty!) rather than because he's gay, so xenophobia not homophobia :).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Gotta take all the victories you can get when it comes to the GOP.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Joementum posted:

I prefer the Herman Cain exit speech, honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jV_11_q6Hc

The Cain Train is with the Donald.

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2015/07/30/herman-cain-says-trump-could-win/

quote:

“I didn’t have billions of dollars like Donald, and in today’s political environment that’s an advantage for him rather than a disadvantage,” Cain told USA TODAY. “When I got attacked I had to make a choice, do I continue, first of all it’s a big distraction, trying to defend all of the false and negative accusations. It takes away from you trying to campaign unless you have deep pockets, which I did not have, it costs money to sustain a campaign and fight off those attacks at the same time, and to be honest with you I didn’t have the money to do that. I simply didn’t have the money to do that. That’s not his problem.”

Beyond the money, Cain says Trump is just better than he was at shaking off the attacks.

“People digging up stuff from 1990 about a divorce with his first wife, come on man, that is bull crap,” he said, referring to recent stories about allegations of abuse that Trump’s first wife made during divorce proceedings and later recanted. “Donald Trump does not care, he’s not going to entertain it, which I think is the right thing to do, but I didn’t have that luxury of saying ‘I don’t even want to talk about that’. You talk about stuff that happened 14 years ago, accusations you can’t prove, and quite frankly, I didn’t throw it off the way I should have.”

Trump may be benefiting as well from the way Cain’s campaign ended – he suspended his campaign in December 2011 after an Atlanta woman claimed they had been having an affair.

“When somebody has got to dig that deep to try to destroy you, I think that the American public has learned you shouldn’t give up on a candidate that quick because they dig up dirt, that’s what happened to me,” Cain said. “Now that they have seen how the media treated me, there are a lot of conservatives and I’ve heard them tell me this directly, they regret that I dropped out of the race. What they’re also saying is that they regret that they started to question my character because of those accusations.”

Cain, who now hosts a nationally syndicated radio show out of Atlanta called “The Herman Cain Show,” says he is not endorsing any candidate at this point. But he does not buy the conventional wisdom among political analysts that Trump is a short-timer in the race. “The only people that think it’s out of the question (that Trump could win) are the people in the political establishment and people in quite frankly the liberal media,” he said.

“If Donald Trump gets the nomination, I would not be unhappy. If Donald Trump becomes president, I would not be unhappy,” Cain said.

Trump/Cain 2016 imo

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Speaking of Herman Cain for VP, I wonder if the GOP will be as frivolous with their VP pick as they have been in the past. I don't think Ryan hurt them nearly as bad as Palin did, but Palin is a disaster that I don't think anyone saw coming, and she just keeps at it. Either way, most of their candidates barely seem like presidential material. I could see a nominee picking someone who's not even in the field right now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Speaking of Herman Cain for VP, I wonder if the GOP will be as frivolous with their VP pick as they have been in the past. I don't think Ryan hurt them nearly as bad as Palin did, but Palin is a disaster that I don't think anyone saw coming, and she just keeps at it. Either way, most of their candidates barely seem like presidential material. I could see a nominee picking someone who's not even in the field right now.
I am pretty sure it will be Marco Rubio as the Republican VP.

Now... now, I'm not gonna say who Trump would pick, because Trump, in my visualization of the cosmic all, is running on the Trumpocracy platform.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Trump will pick the best VP he has by some sales metric.

It will be a contest within the trump organization. Or a show on ABC.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Joementum posted:

All these polls have ~6% margin of error, which is one of the many reasons the debate cutoff rules are bullshit.

Sure, but it's not so bad if you have a large sample of polls because margin of error isn't going to favor one candidate over another. The big problem is that the difference between #10 and #11 on polling average is likely to be realllly tight. If Perry gets knocked to the kiddie table by ~0.3% that will really be something. Something loving hilarious.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Does this first debate really even matter? You could argue that the kiddie table, since it only has 5 or so people, will give candidates more opportunities to say and do more versus being at the main debate

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The kiddie table won't be getting clowned by Trump so more power to them I guess.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's a good chance that polling companies will stop asking about the kiddie table candidates, thus further ensuring the kiddie table status.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nessus posted:

I am pretty sure it will be Marco Rubio as the Republican VP.

Now... now, I'm not gonna say who Trump would pick, because Trump, in my visualization of the cosmic all, is running on the Trumpocracy platform.

Well, he's hinted at Sarah Palin:

The Donald posted:

Donald Trump’s eccentric campaign for president continued apace on Wednesday, with news that he is considering reality television star and former politician Sarah Palin for a position in a Trump administration.

Speaking to Mama Grizzly Radio, a web station devoted to “24-7” Palin news, Trump praised the host of Sarah Palin’s Alaska, who spent two and a half years as governor of the Frontier State before joining John McCain’s failed 2008 bid for the White House.

Asked if he would consider having Palin involved in his government “in some official capacity”, Trump was effusive.

“I’d love that because she really is somebody that knows what’s happening,” Trump said.
“And she’s a special person. And I think people know that. And she’s got a following that’s unbelievable.”

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/29/donald-trump-sarah-palin-ticket-2016-elections

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Full Battle Rattle posted:

not that the vp debate matters but Biden clowned both of them so hard it was ridiculous. most of the primary candidates are pretty accomplished politicians who will at least hold their own on the campaign trail.

Rubio would be the best choice politically though, gotta pander in vain to the hispanic demo i guess

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Patiently waiting for CNN, MSNBC, NYT, etc Bobbleheads to crucify Bernie as a RAYYYYYYYSSSSSIIISSSSTTTTTT for his 100% correct take on the border and the abject stupidity of flooding a labor market already characterized by an unprecedented surplus of labor over demand for labor with millions of new unskilled laborers.

In the long run immigration is vital for us due to falling birth rates. In the short run, when supply of labor outstrips demand, you slow the flow. It absolutely does matter WHEN immigrants come to this country in large numbers, because if they do so during trash economic times like now, you create a large permanent underclass of unemployed and unemployable people, and for those who do eventually rejoin the employment ranks, they will NEVER make up for their lost years.

My only criticism would be Bernie's failure to take it all the way and speak the real truth - the Democratic Party, and Hillary Clinton, are 100% on board with this policy and every bit as much in the pocket of business as the GOP establishment. Calling it a "right-wing" policy is false.

Come on Bernie, take a lesson from Trump - if you want to go all the way and smash Hillary in the polls like Trump is smashing Bush, throw political correctness and decorum out the window and just speak the truth.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
I'm kinda worried now that he's picked up a little steam Bernie might have washington insider types in his ear feeding him that same old "conventional wisdom" that every opinion poll show the vast majority of americans cant stand. Mediate your positions, move to the center for broader appeal that kind of bullshit.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Rocks posted:

Does this first debate really even matter? You could argue that the kiddie table, since it only has 5 or so people, will give candidates more opportunities to say and do more versus being at the main debate

Isn't the kiddie table debate in the middle of the afternoon while people are at work though? I would think being in prime time would be really important.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Sonofsilversign posted:

I'm kinda worried now that he's picked up a little steam Bernie might have washington insider types in his ear feeding him that same old "conventional wisdom" that every opinion poll show the vast majority of americans cant stand. Mediate your positions, move to the center for broader appeal that kind of bullshit.

How long have you known about Bernie?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Leviathan Song posted:

Isn't the kiddie table debate in the middle of the afternoon while people are at work though? I would think being in prime time would be really important.

It is at 5 pm EST, I believe

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sonofsilversign posted:

They'd be right. As much as the Hillary vs Sanders thread wants to believe that Bernie is smack dab in the center of the American zeitgeist, he's not. He'd have to compromise a fair amount to actually win a general election and outside of Santorum getting the GOP nomination, he still wouldn't have much of a chance.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Brannock posted:

How long have you known about Bernie?

Dudes been the most progressive guy in congress since i was two. Him and Barney Frank were like my political man crushes in high school. Why?

Sir Tonk posted:

They'd be right. As much as the Hillary vs Sanders thread wants to believe that Bernie is smack dab in the center of the American zeitgeist, he's not. He'd have to compromise a fair amount to actually win a general election and outside of Santorum getting the GOP nomination, he still wouldn't have much of a chance.

Its not like hes gonna win the primary anyway, but I really don't believe in the idea that theres a significant amount of moderated undecideds for the parties to fight over.

BIG PUFFY NIPS fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 31, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Sonofsilversign posted:

Dudes been the most progressive guy in congress since i was two. Him and Barney Frank were like my political man crushes in high school. Why?

Given your knowledge of his history do you believe that he'd be the sort of person to listen to people whispering into his ear to compromise for bullshit?

Bernie hasn't been running to win straight from the start, and I doubt he'd water down his message just for a shot at winning.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sonofsilversign posted:

Its not like hes gonna win the primary anyway, but I really don't believe in the idea that theres a significant amount of moderated undecideds for the parties to fight over.

At this point, when campaigns talk about "undecided voters," what they really mean is "voters who are definitely going to vote for my party but are undecided as to whether they give enough of a poo poo to vote." At least, that's my take on it. The two parties are so far apart that I find it hard to imagine there are very many people who can look at both platforms and not have an immediate, visceral reaction towards one or the other.

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm starting to worry a bit that the Democrats don't actually have a winning candidate this time around. Sanders is extremely unlikely to get to the general, no matter how much Clinton's disapproval rating rises; meanwhile, that disapproval is going to follow her into the general, and I think she'll have a very hard time mobilizing Democratic voters as a result.

That said, I'm far from an expert and it's also extremely early.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Sonofsilversign posted:

There are about as many moderate undecideds as there are serious leftists.

(I.e., basically not enough to care about.)

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Brannock posted:

Given your knowledge of his history do you believe that he'd be the sort of person to listen to people whispering into his ear to compromise for bullshit?

Bernie hasn't been running to win straight from the start, and I doubt he'd water down his message just for a shot at winning.

Point, it still worries me though precisely because hes been in washington so long.

Kalman posted:

There are about as many moderate undecideds as there are serious leftists.

(I.e., basically not enough to care about.)

I dunno man, in opinion polls americans tend left on most issues. Massively in the case of common sense gun regulations for example. Obama didn't get elected in 2008 by playing for the center he told the left what they actually wanted to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Harrow posted:

I'm starting to worry a bit that the Democrats don't actually have a winning candidate this time around. Sanders is extremely unlikely to get to the general, no matter how much Clinton's disapproval rating rises; meanwhile, that disapproval is going to follow her into the general, and I think she'll have a very hard time mobilizing Democratic voters as a result.

Biden will get in, and he will be the nominee. So don't worry.

• Locked thread