Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Did anyone of you have that annoying bug, where you are fast forwarding and suddenly time freezes rendering you helpless, so you have to restart from the last checkpoint.
That happened a few times to me. Especially in that sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Air is lava! posted:

Did anyone of you have that annoying bug, where you are fast forwarding and suddenly time freezes rendering you helpless, so you have to restart from the last checkpoint.
That happened a few times to me. Especially in that sequence.

Yeah it happens to me sometimes. I also sometimes get the thing where you suddenly get movement and dialogue continues to play but all the character models are just standing there stiff, and the choices don't work.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I stopped being able to rewind just a little bit for the entire episode, so hitting rewind threw me back to the start of any scene. Somewhat annoying at the party and the Frank scene.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

yeah it would have been nice to be able to partially rewind through the frank scene instead of having to go back to the beginning every time

Caros
May 14, 2008

Torgo2727 posted:

Someone else made this point earlier in the thread and I agree. "It doesn't matter if choices I make in this game significantly change things. I just want an engaging story." And Life is Strange absolutely nailed it. It has a believable, lived in world with a captivating story.

Its weird how a linear corridor story game's world feels more lived in and responsive than that of an open world game like "Skyrim," but oh well.

One of the sections of heavy rain had you driving the wrong way down a busy highway trying not to crash via QuickTime events. The thing was, there was no fail state for the event, if you failed or even just set the controller down your character still dodged all the cars and got to the end.

The trick was that you as the player didn't know what mattered and what didn't. I think this will be very similar. Not a great replay value, but when you make your choices the choices feel important to you even if they ultimately don't change the plot of the game.

Props for dontnod for managing that.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Caros posted:

One of the sections of heavy rain had you driving the wrong way down a busy highway trying not to crash via QuickTime events. The thing was, there was no fail state for the event, if you failed or even just set the controller down your character still dodged all the cars and got to the end.

The trick was that you as the player didn't know what mattered and what didn't. I think this will be very similar. Not a great replay value, but when you make your choices the choices feel important to you even if they ultimately don't change the plot of the game.

Unfortunately I felt the "previously on..." sequences at the start of each episode kind of messed this feeling up, as they basically spell out which things could be changed (the stuff they avoid showing) and which things would play out the same either way (the stuff they show).

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Caros posted:

Nothing Ethan did mattered at all since Madison and Jayden solve the mystery parallel to his own stupid exploits.

Like you can just roleplay a guy who doesn't want his son back that bad and walk away from every challenge that you can.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I'm not worried about episode 5 at all, the writing has been good throughout and you can tell the story was carefully planned out months in advance.

http://i.imgur.com/Vt3gMYy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jRNBlBA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/10xLI87.jpg

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Ghetto Prince posted:

I'm not worried about episode 5 at all, the writing has been good throughout and you can tell the story was carefully planned out months in advance.

where was the first photo?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
During the bottle hunt, in episode 2 , right after Kate tells you she remembers a pain in her neck and that she thought Nathan took her to an emergency room because she also remembers bright lights

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Ekusukariba posted:

where was the first photo?

Junkyard, I think.

efb

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ghetto Prince posted:

Hm, a thought: What if Jefferson abducted Max not to torture and photograph her like Kate/Rachel, but to make her into his new protege, since the arrangement was clearly not working out with Nathan? That would explain why Jefferson kept harping on you to submit a photo for the Everyday Heroes contest, so that he would have some time alone with Max in San Francisco to gain her trust and indoctrinate her as he did with Nathan. It would also explain why Victoria was marked on the same night and it's her empty binder you find next on the shelf. I guess your chances of joining forces are slim since he had to shoot Chloe.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Christ, that picture in Nathan's bunker. I Wasn't expecting guro of all loving things to show up. :stare:

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

Christ, that picture in Nathan's bunker. I Wasn't expecting guro of all loving things to show up. :stare:

Which picture are you talking about because I definitely don't remember no guro

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ekusukariba posted:

Which picture are you talking about because I definitely don't remember no guro

I think he means maybe the Parasyte-esque one? In any case it's explicitly stated by Max to be an original illustration rather than a photo.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, that one. Wonder if someone on the dev studio had to draw that or if it came from elsewhere. Caught me pretty off-guard when I saw it.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
Out of curiosity, was there a morbid picture of a dead dog lying on the road in Nathan's room on most people's play through? I killed Pompidou in the previous episode and I'm wondering if it was supposed to be him

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Machinegunboyo posted:

Out of curiosity, was there a morbid picture of a dead dog lying on the road in Nathan's room on most people's play through? I killed Pompidou in the previous episode and I'm wondering if it was supposed to be him

I don't remember seeing it, and Pompidou is alive in my play.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Machinegunboyo posted:

Wait, you legit kill Pompidou if you throw the bone to the road? I thought he just got badly injured.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Caedar posted:

I don't remember seeing it, and Pompidou is alive in my play.

Sweet, that's a nice little touch.

dmboogie posted:

Wait, you legit kill Pompidou if you throw the bone to the road? I thought he just got badly injured.

Yeah and it makes for a funny encounter with Frank, he starts losing his poo poo about how someone killed his dog and max/Chloe start doing the shifty eyes

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
It makes sense too cause Nathan was at the diner when Pompidou would have died so he would have had his chance to get the shot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't kill the dog and Nathan had photos of dead birds in his room.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah, that one. Wonder if someone on the dev studio had to draw that or if it came from elsewhere. Caught me pretty off-guard when I saw it.

I'm pretty sure that's a real picture. I've seen it before at least.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Confirming the dog is alive in mine and Nathan only had dead bird pictures

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Machinegunboyo posted:

Yeah and it makes for a funny encounter with Frank, he starts losing his poo poo about how someone killed his dog and max/Chloe start doing the shifty eyes

That's weird. I threw the bone into the road in my game and Frank said Pompidou was badly injured but alive.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hate how despite the terrible dialogue and muddy dialogue choices, the barely serviceable gameplay with occasionally terribly designed puzzles (gently caress that time you had to prove to Chloe that you could time travel, I mean honestly)...This is 100% my game of the year.

Bloodborne was very mechanically solid and everything, but I just don't care about it anywhere near as much. Life Is Strange, despite its flaws is just the most interesting game I've played this year, and the one I'm the most passionate about.

(I really wish they would, like, patch some of the more tedious puzzles/sections though.)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
If Max throwing the bone in the street doesn't kill Pompidou, that pretty much implies Nathan finished him off to get his picture. Man, this game is pretty hosed up.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Machinegunboyo posted:

Varam posted:

That's weird. I threw the bone into the road in my game and Frank said Pompidou was badly injured but alive.

Weird. I avoided hurting the dog so I missed out on either of these, I wonder what determines if the dog dies or not?

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
I could be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure that Frank said Pompidou was dead, and there was definitely a photo of a dog with tire marks over it in Nathan's room. I'll load it up again later to confirm.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dude gently caress this game, I love this game.

gently caress this game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Varam posted:

On one of my save files he said this too. He was alive but in a bad state.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Machinegunboyo posted:

I could be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure that Frank said Pompidou was dead, and there was definitely a photo of a dog with tire marks over it in Nathan's room. I'll load it up again later to confirm.

I got the picture even though Frank said he was alive, so I think Nathan may have just taken a picture of badly-injured Pompidou.

That's even more hosed up, actually.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

what kind of sick bastard tries to hurt franks dog :shibe:

VagueRant posted:

I hate how despite the terrible dialogue and muddy dialogue choices, the barely serviceable gameplay with occasionally terribly designed puzzles (gently caress that time you had to prove to Chloe that you could time travel, I mean honestly)...This is 100% my game of the year.

Bloodborne was very mechanically solid and everything, but I just don't care about it anywhere near as much. Life Is Strange, despite its flaws is just the most interesting game I've played this year, and the one I'm the most passionate about.

(I really wish they would, like, patch some of the more tedious puzzles/sections though.)

uh.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Finally just got caught up with this game.
Cool game, huh?

I gave up on the Frank scene after a few tries, partly because at some point there were multiple of the same conversation going on at once, so I had dialogue options even when another animation was happening. I must have travelled back in time and combined multiple universes or something. In my headcanon that's why there were two moons.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Torgo2727 posted:

Whats up, fellow bitch? :(:hf::(

Hey me too! I think I've cried like six or seven times through the course of these four episodes (I lost count). A lot of them had to do with Kate. I've known depression, and that poo poo hit me hard, man. :(

That being said, no joke, one of my hardest decisions was deciding whether or not to kiss Chloe in Episode 3. I remember getting up and pacing all over the place because I was all "Oh poo poo, is Chloe treating me like a surrogate for Rachael? She's putting me in her clothes and we're doing all the things she used to do with Rachael, and if I kiss her that might continue that unhealthy habit. But I don't want to make Chloe upset or think I don't care about her, and my Max does like her and maybe even in a romantic sense so it's not that much of a stretch to do it, and maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than it really is ARGH."

I eventually decided to kiss her, because I like to think I'm a lover at heart :D . But goddamn, I don't know what it says, about me or videogames, that one of the hardest choices I've made in a game had to do with a single kind-of-a-dare request, and me basically trying to decide if I wanted to just be friends or something more with my best friend. poo poo is too real for me, man.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Sorry for the lateness, but did you all reload if Kate died? I didn't, because I felt the no rewind in that section sort of suggested I should have to deal with the consequences, on PC it said 35% of people couldn't save her.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

sout posted:

Sorry for the lateness, but did you all reload if Kate died? I didn't, because I felt the no rewind in that section sort of suggested I should have to deal with the consequences, on PC it said 35% of people couldn't save her.

I don't understand how its possible to kill Kate. Like it was easy to talk her down. Though tbqh me standing up for her in front of madsen+paying attention to all the small things in her room like family picture and stuff helped.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Viva Miriya posted:

I don't understand how its possible to kill Kate. Like it was easy to talk her down.

I looked it up and she jumps if she responds poorly to 2/6 of the prompts. I guess I messed up by choosing "your mother"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Viva Miriya posted:

I don't understand how its possible to kill Kate. Like it was easy to talk her down. Though tbqh me standing up for her in front of madsen+paying attention to all the small things in her room like family picture and stuff helped.

You don't understand how people could make a different choice in an earlier episode or not pay attention to a random family picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

From hearing other people's experiences, I think the system for talking Kate down goes roughly like this: If you make every pro-Kate decision in the first two episodes (confront David, answer her call, erase the whiteboard etc.) and respond correctly to the first four prompts, she'll step down without even needing the Bible verse. If you don't make every possible pro-Kate decision and respond correctly to 5/6 including the Bible verse, then she'll step down. If you make no pro-Kate decisions and respond perfectly to every prompt, then she'll step down. I think 65% / 35% is a predictable split given those conditions.

• Locked thread