Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

theironjef posted:

Then the game starts and whoops so much for that.

No no I mean, in-game, there's a few occasions where you can try to tell someone what happened, and they're shocked at heavier then air flying machines, but call you Mr loving Liar at orcs being able to fly it, because everyone knows orcs etc, etc, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

GMS posted:

yeah, I've been awful about updates. Sorry. I've been answering stuff here in the comments and the Far West forums and email, but have dropped the ball on general broadcasts.

You'll be getting an update (and more locked & final material) this weekend.

:nallears: He just cannot stop. Surely this time

And no, he's been silent on KS comments for a couple of weeks too, and the Far West forum has been a sea of nothing but botspamming for a month.

:thumbsup:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

theironjef posted:

Then the game starts and whoops so much for that.

Imagine a stick swinging at random gorillas and other palette swapped wildlife, forever.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

This is usually brought up because you can argue that the Selective Service system in America, which requires all men to register for it (I believe this is necessary for things like voting and drivers' licensure, though you can claim conscientious objector status with some difficulty), is the one institution which does present a discriminatory framework aimed against men, as women would not be drafted to go fight in Bush's oil wars.

The last time the draft was used was in Vietnam and was a large part of that war's massive unpopularity. I suspect that the draft will never be used again save in some WW3 situation (and frankly, we'd be likely to be the ones starting WW3), and I would be in favor, if not passionate about, either abolishing the selective service system or expanding it to include women too.

Fun fact. National Organization for Women testified in front of the Supreme Court arguing that Selective Service should apply to women too. So it's not like feminists have been fighting to preserve that "protection."

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
No clearly Selective Service is a misandrist conspiracy perpetuated by the known femininazi enclave that is the US Military.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

If all the designer wanted to do was make an improved version of the Three Brown Books, he could well have done that, but the STR limits on women aren't in the original text, they were on some Dragon article or whatever, so the designer made a conscious and deliberate decision to include the rule (even if it is optional).
I've always found that the true measure of a grog is where they set the dividing line between what does and doesn't satisfy their suspension of disbelief. This guy's game has all kinds of things left as abstractions because hey, it's just a game - but man, it was really important to him to put those STR limits on women in there. Flying wooden ships that regularly sail between spheres of reality on rivers of magical energy? Awesome, it's fantasy, don't worry about it. Women fighting with swords? URRGH MY IMMERSIONISM HAS BEEN SHATTERED, how can I possibly play this game that violates verisimilitude everywhere I look.

A great example of this is the default setting of Reign, which is weird and exotic and whimsical and fantastic and no one seems to have much of a problem with it - except for the one footnote about how all the cavalry soliders are women because of a widespread folk belief that riding horses makes men impotent and sterile, which makes grogs lose their loving minds.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 31, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Even funnier is that something actually makes men impotent if they ride astride. It might just be mind over matter, but it still happens.

I kind of wonder if the horseback riding thing is related to the fusses I've seen when something-- a class, a kit, a secret society, whatever-- is denied to male characters. I remember a friend getting absurdly indignant over a women-exclusive druidic sect from some magazine, despite them being a mechanically lousy NPC class, and he hasn't got an otherwise groggy bone in his body.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bieeardo posted:

I kind of wonder if the horseback riding thing is related to the fusses I've seen when something-- a class, a kit, a secret society, whatever-- is denied to male characters. I remember a friend getting absurdly indignant over a women-exclusive druidic sect from some magazine, despite them being a mechanically lousy NPC class, and he hasn't got an otherwise groggy bone in his body.
That's absolutely what it is. The great thing about being a straight white male is that almost nothing is ever denied to you for being a SWM, so when something is set aside as "not for you" it stings and smarts and is really noticeable. See also: white dudes who are absolutely livid that hip hop performers get to use the n-word and they can't (even when they're just joking around or using it ironically!). There are 400,000 words in the English language, but being politely asked to cede using one of them to another group of people, is for some folks the most pressing civil rights issue of the day.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

gradenko_2000 posted:

See, I would understand that Judges Guild or whatever supplement written in the 70s-80s would have some not-cool portrayals of women, but I posted that Zylarthen thing specifically because it was a retroclone published in TYOOL 2014.

If all the designer wanted to do was make an improved version of the Three Brown Books, he could well have done that, but the STR limits on women aren't in the original text, they were on some Dragon article or whatever, so the designer made a conscious and deliberate decision to include the rule (even if it is optional).

:cripes:

I knew it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Bieeardo posted:

Yeah if i wasn't on my phone at the time I would have posted here the PP forums blowing up over racial class restrictions in Unleashed. I think people got wired from 3.5 that they need a class for their concept. There needs to be "two hander fight guy" even though anyone can use a giant weapon and be completely fine. Like it's adventures in the boonies the game isn't supposed to support your plate mail human guy.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
A lot of the racial class restrictions in IK are really dumb though. My group rarely plays with them because it's kind of dumb that a bunch of random classes like Aristocrat are tied by race. I mean there are obvious ones like you have to be Menite to be an order of the fist, but last game one of our players played an Iosan order of the fist who was an orphan who was raised by a wandering monk in the mountains (because kung fu movies). So it's just a little annoying that they seem to bar off a bunch of cool race/class combinations (who wouldn't want to be a Gatorman Aristocrat Gunslinger or similar) just cause.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As long as the forums are in the grips of the SJW, the feminist, and the alternative-lifestylers,
what could be done to improve this place?

Not everyone who comes here is an atheist, or a feminist, or a liberal, or LGBTQ, or an SJW, or pro-choice.
It is wrong to allow those groups to shout down all others.

Moreover, as long as the mods are in the pocket of the those groups, I repeat the question....

But there is hope. Fan Action broke the grip on the Hugo Awards.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

FMguru posted:

I've always found that the true measure of a grog is where they set the dividing line between what does and doesn't satisfy their suspension of disbelief. This guy's game has all kinds of things left as abstractions because hey, it's just a game - but man, it was really important to him to put those STR limits on women in there. Flying wooden ships that regularly sail between spheres of reality on rivers of magical energy? Awesome, it's fantasy, don't worry about it. Women fighting with swords? URRGH MY IMMERSIONISM HAS BEEN SHATTERED, how can I possibly play this game that violates verisimilitude everywhere I look.

A great example of this is the default setting of Reign, which is weird and exotic and whimsical and fantastic and no one seems to have much of a problem with it - except for the one footnote about how all the cavalry soliders are women because of a widespread folk belief that riding horses makes men impotent and sterile, which makes grogs lose their loving minds.

That's loving incredible. I kind of want to make a setting with a matriarchy of some kind, just to make people lose their poo poo. Did you know that there were people who thought all kinds of bad things would happen to ladies who rode bikes? That's unrelated, the horse thing just reminded me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

A lot of the racial class restrictions in IK are really dumb though. My group rarely plays with them because it's kind of dumb that a bunch of random classes like Aristocrat are tied by race. I mean there are obvious ones like you have to be Menite to be an order of the fist, but last game one of our players played an Iosan order of the fist who was an orphan who was raised by a wandering monk in the mountains (because kung fu movies). So it's just a little annoying that they seem to bar off a bunch of cool race/class combinations (who wouldn't want to be a Gatorman Aristocrat Gunslinger or similar) just cause.
I suspect it's either legacy mechanics (in which case piffle, away with it) or "our 3.5 audience immediately made nothing but trollkin warcasters."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Edit: Sorry, Pundit post.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 31, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Brewsuke posted:

That's loving incredible. I kind of want to make a setting with a matriarchy of some kind, just to make people lose their poo poo. Did you know that there were people who thought all kinds of bad things would happen to ladies who rode bikes? That's unrelated, the horse thing just reminded me.

Reign actually has a matriarchy as well.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Brewsuke posted:

Grogs are cool with matriarchies as long as they're depicted as weird, sinister, or possibly outright evil (see: drow).

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Don't forget the BDSM overtones.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah powerful women exist only to satisfy men's sexual fantasies

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
It's shameful, I agree. In the olden days, I proudly fought alongside female troops, shoulder to, uh, shoulder. Alas, after a series of deadly blunders caused by distracting low-cut fatigues and lots of harmless pinching, the army decided women weren't fit for service. Not when I'm in charge.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The ENnies just gave an award to the escapist.

What? No, not Escapist Magazine, this one http://www.theescapist.com/

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
A website that thinks it's still the 80's in terms of people fearing D&D, that appears to have been last updated in 2004, that only talks about D&D, Call of Cthulhu, GURPs, and a little bit of World of Darkness.

I can't imagine a more appropriate website for the ENnies.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wait, the eyesore of a website that has barely updated in several years (besides soundbites on Facebook and the like)?

What were the other candidates?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Is there an estimate of how many people thought they were voting for the other Escapist?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think the weirdest part is that this is the fourth time it's been in the Ennies.

Who nominates it?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Chances are there was a judge who had a huge thing for that website for whatever reason and kept pushing it until the others agreed to it.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The ENnies just gave an award to the escapist.

What? No, not Escapist Magazine, this one http://www.theescapist.com/

quote:

FORUM

Due to the popularity of social media, I've decided to shut down the official forum and instead let the conversations happen there.

For those who would like to particpate, you can follow the Escapist on Twitter, Facebook and Google+

:allears:

His Google+ is just all newsclips and silly humor posts related to D&D. It's all so :effort:
Oh and so far, not one Google+ post has any comments.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Nessus posted:

I suspect it's either legacy mechanics (in which case piffle, away with it) or "our 3.5 audience immediately made nothing but trollkin warcasters."

Oddly enough Warcaster isn't racially locked. Using the base book you can 100% make a legal Trollkin Warcaster, if he's from Cygnar he can even also be a Trencher. So your troll man can be a Warcaster, IE one of the most rare professions and skills in the entire game world. A skill so rare you could cram every IK Warcaster into a Red Lion conference room, and not even one of the big ones, honestly you could probably just all meet at Waffle House or Dennys. Yet under no circumstance can he ever be a Knight. Only the Humans and Iosans really have a true grip on being a noble wandering warrior for justice who uses a sword and shield in plate. I'll accept that there is no real way a troll would ever be a Khadoran Man O War, I can accept that one would probably not be a Paladin of the Wall, but a loving generic-rear end Knight? Does not compute. Plus it seems really lame to lock them out of stuff even if it doesn't make sense in canon. PC's are heroes, that means they are exceptions to the rules of how settings work. Katniss is from a literal slum of dirt farmers yet she becomes a badass archer who starts a revolution, that's why she's the main character. Tony Stark took Aristocrat/Arcane Mechanik which is a fine combo, but there's no reason why Hulk should have been locked out of Alchemist/Pugilist just because Pugilist is a restricted class for Humans, he came up with a cool reason why he was a pugilist and rule of cool should basically always win in fantasy adventure games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Credit to dwarf74, I'm making an executive decision that enough of this is grog to pass:
https://medium.com/kickstarter/total-party-kill-3898fb82b5fb

quote:

“We have a stock philosophy in our house, and this is the rule: everybody rolls dice in front of everybody, so there’s no cheating. Most people who cheat in D&D aren’t the players; they’re the Dungeon Masters cheating so they don’t have to kill characters,” says Webb. “But if the game’s not hard, it’s not fun, and the rewards are cheapened.”

quote:

The best Dungeon Masters invest years and years into ensuring that the worlds of their D&D games can achieve this dream of total immersion. They’ll write backstories for the lowliest barkeep, and draw detailed continental maps with thousands of points of interest and notes about the local animals, foliage, and weather patterns of the various regions.

quote:

“Everyone had a backstory: the wizard and his warrior buddy, the guy that ran the tavern, the local trader … there were all these stories that your players might never find out about, but it would breathe life into that village, into that adventure, and it made me excited to run it.”

quote:

“If all you’re going to do is sit around and referee combat for hours, anybody can do that. You might as well ref little league soccer.”
The article highlights this passage specifically. It deserves to be, but perhaps not for the reasons the writer intended

quote:

For Webb, challenge is everything. He prides his work on being some of the most deadly in the business, and points to S1 — Tomb of Horrors, a module that most players scoff at as an impossibly difficult toy for sadist Dungeon Masters, as his gold-standard of adventure design. He believes that the game has softened up over the years, allowing players to survive things that would have resulted in a Total Party Kill (TPK) in earlier editions.

His second company, Necromancer Games, has the slogan “Third Edition Rules, First Edition Feel,” which points to his driving philosophy. “If the players don’t have to use their brains to be successful, I believe it’s a failure on my part,” he says. “A DM will read my stuff and be like, ‘Oh my god, everybody’s gonna die,’ but usually, if players are careful and they use their noggins, they’re gonna be able to navigate my dungeons. People need brain exercise. They can’t not pay attention. We’re universally panned as the hardest, most killer dungeon ever written. But I’m actually glad. That makes me happy.”

quote:

Following in her father’s footsteps, Jillian has started to DM games with family, friends, and even strangers at conventions. Webb reports that she’s built up some notoriety in that convention circuit. “I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone make it out of one of my convention games alive,” Jillian says. “I’m always rooting for the players, but they always head into trouble.” And bringing the conversation back to the real arbiter of every D&D game, she adds, “Everybody just sort of rolls unlucky.”
You know who else would kill all their players regularly? E Gary Gygax :agesilaus:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Oddly enough Warcaster isn't racially locked. Using the base book you can 100% make a legal Trollkin Warcaster, if he's from Cygnar he can even also be a Trencher.

The restriction is in the description of Trollkin, not in the class requirements.

According to the book, Gobbers and Ogrun can't be gifted at all, and Trollkin and Nyss can't be Warcasters. Trolls also can't be Arcanists or Arcane Mechanics, and Nyss are hilariously restricted, I believe to exclusively Sorceror and Priest from the gifted options.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 1, 2015

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Well, gently caress elves anyhow.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The Unleashed races are even more hilariously restricted. Each race has multiple unique classes avaliable only to them, some of which tread on the same territory in multiple respects but for one or two unique abilities. Also the game's gunmage equivilent is restricted to a single race/gender combo.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

As much as I love IKRPG, it suffers from a few issues. Being hesitant to let players and DMs expand the world a little is one, and the other is basically just "this game is really hard to play without standing during combat."

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

theironjef posted:

The restriction is in the description of Trollkin, not in the class requirements.

According to the book, Gobbers and Ogrun can't be gifted at all, and Trollkin and Nyss can't be Warcasters. Trolls also can't be Arcanists or Arcane Mechanics, and Nyss are hilariously restricted, I believe to exclusively Sorceror and Priest from the gifted options.

No Quarter 60 gives them an Everblight Warlock option. :getin:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

gradenko_2000 posted:

Credit to dwarf74, I'm making an executive decision that enough of this is grog to pass:
https://medium.com/kickstarter/total-party-kill-3898fb82b5fb

The article highlights this passage specifically. It deserves to be, but perhaps not for the reasons the writer intended

You know who else would kill all their players regularly? E Gary Gygax :agesilaus:

But worldbuilding is fun :confused:

The TPK and "USE YOUR BRAAAAAAAAAINS" thing is groggy and the "You can only run a game with hours of worldbuilding!" is stupid, but yeah, having an idea of how a village works even if your PCs are never going to get into the interrelationships or working out how weather works in a fantasy region can all be fun exercises. It's not really any different from thinking up builds or character concepts if you're usually on the player side of things.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, that article's not very groggy, but it's a long and slow accretion of a dozen or so signifiers. The big one for me is that no one in it considers for a moment that there might be games other than D&D.

Also, I ran Rappan Athuk for a group back in university. It was a direct conversion of an old school crawl to 3.0 and while it was kind of fun it showed a total lack of understanding regarding any aspect of the new rules. It was just 'swap out the stat blocks and get it published'.

It also placed the seeds of me thinking about killer dungeons vs killer GMs, but I'm phone posting and this is the wrong thread for that kind of pontificating anyway.

(It did produce some fun stories, though, despite being broken as gently caress.)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
So, there's an oncomming orc army and the Ranger - who specialises in orcs - wants to ride on to scout the army then go off to find allies and bring them back for a cool moment of glory. The DM nods, then when they leave, the orc army attacks and the other PCs hold them off, making the ranger useless. On top of that the whole thing took literal hours that the ranger spent doing nothing. hosed up right? Well...

quote:

D&D is a game that works best when played as a group.

You wanted to be the lone wolf that saves the day and it backlashed. You're the only person to blame for it.

Next time, tell the others your plan and work together as a team.

Seriously, why didn't you bring the others along? They could have helped and everybody would have had fun.

quote:

Yes. Barging off on your own on a self-invented side quest can have that effect. Gandalf did not participate in the battle of Helms Deep.

quote:

Shake it off man, You gambled and lost. It's no big deal. You assumed all over the place and paid the price for it. Once I did the same thing and wanted to run back to town and grab a item I had left behind. Had to abandon that character and make another as before I could make it back the entire party took off in the wilds outside of Waterdeep in a fragging Spelljammer! My next character was a Griff for Gods sake! Who could have called THAT?

Don't split the Party!

quote:

If you want to be included then don't exclude yourself. How many PC's are there in your group? If there are 4 and the session is about 4 hours long then going off alone should get you roughly and hour of play time and three for the group. That is how I handle split groups. Equal time for all players. Anyone wanting more than their fair share of time can suck it.

GMS CAN DO NO WRONG! HOW DARE YOU DESIRE A MOMENT TO SHINE! YOU SUFFER FOR YOUR INSOLENCE!

Serf
May 5, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

quote:

Yes. Barging off on your own on a self-invented side quest can have that effect. Gandalf did not participate in the battle of Helms Deep.

Uhhhhhh what? I'm pretty sure Gandalf showed up at the Battle of Helm's Deep and saved everyone's bacon. Truly a shameful grog.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Kurieg posted:

The Unleashed races are even more hilariously restricted. Each race has multiple unique classes available only to them, some of which tread on the same territory in multiple respects but for one or two unique abilities. Also the game's gunmage equivilent is restricted to a single race/gender combo.

I like it. It shows how there's no cultural homogeneity between the peoples actually trying to eat each other in some cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Reskinning is for rollplayers! posted:

This is ROLLPLAYING. The book describes a rogue, the dictionary describes a rogue, you are roleplaying someone who is NOT a rogue, you're roleplaying someone from CSI. I wouldn't disallow you progressing as a rogue, I would tell you that this character is NOT a rogue. In a campaign where rollplaying is more acceptable then fine, but you're picking a class because you want the abilities without being willing to have a personality that fits that class.

What makes you a rogue in this example, your character sheet? Because it's definitely not your personality. Classes aren't just abilities, they're a way of life. A character is more than their class, certainly, but this character personality doesn't fit the PhB or Dictionary definition of Rogue. You're shoving him in a class he doesn't fit in because you want abilities.

The PhB examples almost ALL have the rogue committing crimes, but at the very least you have to follow Webster's definition, which I posted previously.

This guy follows NONE of that. So no, I don't allow that at my table, and my players are fine with that. Every player I've ever had is fine with that, actually. Dozens. If you couldn't have fun making him a fighter instead, or an urban ranger, then I would simply ask you to find a table that better matches your idea of what is fun about this game.

Plenty of DMs out there that don't care if your character is a contradiction to himself. A Rogue class who isn't a rogue (word) doesn't make sense. Not all rogues have to be exactly the same but you'd have to adhere to the class and what it means in some way, at least.

• Locked thread