Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

is there any way to change the address that mail gets sent from in the mail app? I have a fastmail.com account with a custom domain, and because there doesn't seem to be a field for the address in the account setup (there only seems to be a field for the username) I'm stuck using the @fastmail.com address, which is kind of lame. Most if not all other clients I've used, even on phones, have this feature.

This was in the Windows 8(.1) version of the app, but appears to be gone in the Windows 10 version. I suggest sending feedback and moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ElrondHubbard posted:

What are your sleep settings and power settings related to sleep?

I've heard a similar issue was due to some drivers being missing and thus the sleep function not working (if I recall, sleep wasn't an available option in the power menu), though I don't feel like digging through however many pages it'd take to see what the solution to that was.

They're set to turn monitor off [10 minutes] and that's really it. I've tried changing around the time and it just never shuts the monitor off. I have the sleep options in the power menu.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

andipossess posted:

This was in the Windows 8(.1) version of the app, but appears to be gone in the Windows 10 version. I suggest sending feedback and moving on.

lmao, done i guess.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 31, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

I was trying to run 3DMark's Direct X 12 and it would not run. Then I opened DXDiag and realized something:

My Windows 10 does not have DX12. I could swear that it had it when I first checked, but maybe that was when I upgraded, after which I did a clean install.

-edit-
My video card is running the latest drivers and it does support DX12:

Download the drivers from here http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-353-62-windows-10-driver-download.html make sure you do a clean installation. That should fix your problem.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Generic Monk posted:

That being said why are there still two control panels? It's not nearly as irritating at this point since one of the control panels doesn't forcibly kick you into a completely different environment but it's still bizarre. The new icons are OK but they're not quite comprehensive. And why is it called windows 10? This is one instance where the 'one' or just 'windows' branding wouldn't be completely stupid.

It's there for backwards compatibility reasons. I have applications like flash and Axis Media control and Java all install applets into the old control panel. Not having it would break them most likely. It will probably be phased out in future updates.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Now that ive upgraded to Windows 10, could I do a clean install onto a fresh hard drive and it would activate based on my 'PC ID' or do you always need to install Windows 7 or 8 first then upgrade?

And Ive tried re-running the media creation tool to create an ISO after it did the in-place install and it wants to download everything again even though ive got those $windows .ws and .bt folders with the downloaded Windows 10 data. Is this tool just dumb or is there a way to re-run it locally to use the already downloaded content?

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Windows install went fine through the media creation thing. Except for some strange reason it installed it in my native language (despite win 8.1 and my keyboard settings being set to english). So once 10 was installed I went ahead and downloaded the english language pack, now most of windows is in english while some parts of it are still in my native language.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Alcatrash posted:

Can I upgrade to Windows 10 and still use the same Windows 7 key to have an installation of Windows 7 at the same time?

I don't think you're prevented from doing it, but it would be against the upgrade license terms, so according to Microsoft's lawyers your Windows 7 install would be pirated.

It might be different if you're dual-booting them on one physical machine, though, or running one or the other in a VM.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Roommate is having issues with the Settings app not wanting to open, even after a restart.

Anyone else having this issue?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Finally, having a video fullscreen on my primary monitor and making a window active on my secondary monitor doesn't make the taskbar appear on top of the fullscreen video.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Alcatrash posted:

Can I upgrade to Windows 10 and still use the same Windows 7 key to have an installation of Windows 7 at the same time?

I've got a 10 and 8 install running together, and the 8 install was done after 10. It activated just fine

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

nielsm posted:

I don't think you're prevented from doing it, but it would be against the upgrade license terms, so according to Microsoft's lawyers your Windows 7 install would be pirated.

It might be different if you're dual-booting them on one physical machine, though, or running one or the other in a VM.

VMs count the same as a physical computer as far as licensing is concerned so a VM would also legally be considered piracy.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I just got the windows 10 upgrade prompt on my Lenovo x230 laptop and when I tried to run it it said "Windows couldn't update the system reserved partition." What's this about?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Flagrama posted:

VMs count the same as a physical computer as far as licensing is concerned so a VM would also legally be considered piracy.

Not exactly. Windows Server Standard for example is one physical or two virtual instances.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Upgrading my Asus T200 from 8.1 to 10, got a secure boot violation window, hit ok, which has me stuck in setup. Google says to disable secure boot, which I have done, and still just boots to BIOS.

This is a bad something to happen.

Any thoughts?

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 31, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They're set to turn monitor off [10 minutes] and that's really it. I've tried changing around the time and it just never shuts the monitor off. I have the sleep options in the power menu.

Are those setting under Settings > System > Power and Sleep?

Are the values here the same as under Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Your Power Plan?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Riso posted:

Not exactly. Windows Server Standard for example is one physical or two virtual instances.

One physical AND two virtual, assuming the physical install's only role is Hyper-V :suicide101:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Sometimes, now that I've switched to Windows 10, when I close the lid of my laptop and reopen it, everything's been moved up and to the left, like it reset to a different resolution while the lid was closed. The way things get moved, it kinda looks like it's going from 1920x1080 to 1600x900. Anyone know what might be up?

Do you have scaling to 100% or 150%?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ElrondHubbard posted:

Are those setting under Settings > System > Power and Sleep?

Are the values here the same as under Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Your Power Plan?

Yeah, the values are the same in both areas.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Got Win 10 pro installed, activated, updated and running well with no hassles at all. I'm wondering about the app store, is this the same one that windows phones use? If so, I heard it was bad compared to what's on Android and iOS but Jesus Christ.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Generic Monk posted:

That being said why are there still two control panels? It's not nearly as irritating at this point since one of the control panels doesn't forcibly kick you into a completely different environment but it's still bizarre. The new icons are OK but they're not quite comprehensive. And why is it called windows 10? This is one instance where the 'one' or just 'windows' branding wouldn't be completely stupid.
10 is better than 9, duh.

As for two control panels, three likely reasons:

1) Compatibility. A lot of hardware puts their management utilities in there or integrates with the existing control panels (eg: Logitech-specific mouse tabs) that just going with an XAML control panel would have broken a lot of stuff.
2) Time. I think even MS knows W10 is somewhat half-baked, they want it out there to (once again, try to ) get developers to start writing apps that the mouse and keyboard populace might actually use. Related to #1 as well, hardware vendors will (hopefully) start writing modern equivalents of their utils as eventually the legacy CP can be retired, but that will be a while.
3) MS is bad at UX.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Riso posted:

I'll admit I was only talking about personal keys and not server keys.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, the values are the same in both areas.

I'm afraid I'd be out of my depth suggesting anything else.

You can try waiting for the rather large patch Microsoft is releasing sometime in the next week.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone familiar with a problem in Win10 where fullscreen games seem to work fine, but when you alt tab everything desktop and task manager related seems to slow to an absolute crawl (like practically unresponsive), but if you somehow manage to alt tab back into the game, it runs perfectly fine again?
I might have to downgrade again if I can't find a solution for this;

I found some things online that I tried:
-setting compatibility to windows 7, didn't work
- turning off that built-in xbox video capture thing, didn't work
- setting game from fullscreen to borderless windowed, DID work for alt tabbing, but I lost about 30fps in the game in the process.

Anything clever I'm missing? Have this problem in Elder Scrolls Online for example, but others as well.
I'm running the newest nvidia drivers for windows 10, released yesterday.

Edit: most other games, like the Witcher 3 or Lords of the Fallen, can't even BE alt-tabbed; they refuse to minimize. I can see a task bar, and open programs, but never get them in front. Fullscreen or borderless windowed. Same problem or another?

Edit2: nevermind, not worth the hassle yet. Reverting for now.

Krolm fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 31, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ElrondHubbard posted:

I'm afraid I'd be out of my depth suggesting anything else.

You can try waiting for the rather large patch Microsoft is releasing sometime in the next week.

Kind of a bummer, because it's the only issue I'm having with Windows 10 so far. Everything else has been pretty smooth. Such a weird thing to not work.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So I just learned about HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) today. In plain English, it means that you can watch Twitch using only a minimum of your resources.

It's supported in browsers Safari, mobile Chrome, and Edge. So if you watch Twitch regularly, you should definitely do it in Edge instead of Chrome, especially if you're on a laptop or tablet.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

Sometimes, now that I've switched to Windows 10, when I close the lid of my laptop and reopen it, everything's been moved up and to the left, like it reset to a different resolution while the lid was closed. The way things get moved, it kinda looks like it's going from 1920x1080 to 1600x900. Anyone know what might be up?

Somebody else in this thread had the same issue, and posted a link to a solution. (or was it in the monitors thread? the gpu thread? ergh)

You need to edit the registry to change the default screen size, so when windows thinks all displays have been disconnected, it doesn't drop down to 1024x768, but stays the same size as your current display.

I just refound the link:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...69-1a68fbd106aa

I have no way of testing this, sorry.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you have scaling to 100% or 150%?

100%, because anything else is just wasting screen space, considering the display size and how close it usually is.

EoRaptor posted:

Somebody else in this thread had the same issue, and posted a link to a solution. (or was it in the monitors thread? the gpu thread? ergh)

You need to edit the registry to change the default screen size, so when windows thinks all displays have been disconnected, it doesn't drop down to 1024x768, but stays the same size as your current display.

I just refound the link:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...69-1a68fbd106aa

I have no way of testing this, sorry.

Hmm, I gave it a shot, hasn't accomplished anything yet, but I guess I might need to restart.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 31, 2015

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

nope, didn't work.

The generic win10 upgrade key came up as "blocked".

I ended up going back to 8.1 which activated fine on my new build.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WastedJoker posted:

nope, didn't work.

The generic win10 upgrade key came up as "blocked".

I ended up going back to 8.1 which activated fine on my new build.

You migrated an activated windows 10 upgrade install to new hardware. This is expressly disallowed.

You'll find if you re-do the upgrade from Windows 8.1, your new hardware will get submitted to MS as valid during the upgrade process, and windows 10 will stay activated.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ufarn posted:

So I just learned about HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) today. In plain English, it means that you can watch Twitch using only a minimum of your resources.

It's supported in browsers Safari, mobile Chrome, and Edge. So if you watch Twitch regularly, you should definitely do it in Edge instead of Chrome, especially if you're on a laptop or tablet.
hls is supported in just about every browser. twitch is testing it out for mobile devices first, it's just that edge uses a broken user agent making it look like a mobile device

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
My win10 upgrade went without a problem. I do have a small question though: If I want to use Cortana, it tells me to sign in using a MS account. Will that make my local account a Live account? Or will that account be used just for Cortana?
I don't particularly mind making a throwaway MS account and just giving that info to Cortana, but I would mind if it would affect my local account.

Oh, and another question:
In few months I'll update my CPU+MB+RAM. Will Win10 still recognize the new combination as still "my computer" or will it think I have a new one now?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Volguus posted:

In few months I'll update my CPU+MB+RAM. Will Win10 still recognize the new combination as still "my computer" or will it think I have a new one now?

No one knows for sure, but probably the latter.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Volguus posted:

My win10 upgrade went without a problem. I do have a small question though: If I want to use Cortana, it tells me to sign in using a MS account. Will that make my local account a Live account? Or will that account be used just for Cortana?
I don't particularly mind making a throwaway MS account and just giving that info to Cortana, but I would mind if it would affect my local account.

A MB change will cause Windows to think you have a new computer.

The free Windows 10 upgrade specifically ties to a single device, so when you build a new computer and boot the same windows install on it, you will lose your activation.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

A MB change will cause Windows to think you have a new computer.

The free Windows 10 upgrade specifically ties to a single device, so when you build a new computer and boot the same windows install on it, you will lose your activation.

Oh, so then I'll just have to install my old Win7 and then upgrade? And hope that I didn't miss the 1 year window?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Lowtechs posted:

Download the drivers from here http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-353-62-windows-10-driver-download.html make sure you do a clean installation. That should fix your problem.

I tried that. Strangely, it works for a little while, in which I can even run 3DMark's DX12 API test, then after a while I am back to DirectX 11.3, without even rebooting.

-edit-

I FOUND THE CULPRIT

If you enable MFAA in the NVIDIA 3D control panel, it will disable DirectX12. I can reproduce it. Can someone check if its universal?

Animal fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 31, 2015

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Animal posted:

I tried that. Strangely, it works for a little while, in which I can even run 3DMark's DX12 API test, then after a while I am back to DirectX 11.3, without even rebooting.

-edit-

I FOUND THE CULPRIT

If you enable MFAA in the NVIDIA 3D control panel, it will disable DirectX12. I can reproduce it. Can someone check if its universal?

Yeah I just tried this. Enabling MFAA in the global settings looked like it disabled DX12, disabling MFAA then enabled DX12 again.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bioalchemist posted:

Yeah I just tried this. Enabling MFAA in the global settings looked like it disabled DX12, disabling MFAA then enabled DX12 again.

MFAA-GATE!!!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Volguus posted:

Oh, so then I'll just have to install my old Win7 and then upgrade? And hope that I didn't miss the 1 year window?

Installing and activating windows 7 (or 8), updating that copy of windows 7 until it has KB303583 installed*, then performing the upgrade again (just start the installer from within windows) will submit the new hardware signature to MS, and allow windows 10 to activate on it in future.

* You may be able to skip this, but I've never tried to upgrade windows without having 3035583 installed. I don't know if the hardware id is pre-computed by 3035583 or computed during the upgrade process.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

Installing and activating windows 7 (or 8), updating that copy of windows 7 until it has KB303583 installed*, then performing the upgrade again (just start the installer from within windows) will submit the new hardware signature to MS, and allow windows 10 to activate on it in future.

* You may be able to skip this, but I've never tried to upgrade windows without having 3035583 installed. I don't know if the hardware id is pre-computed by 3035583 or computed during the upgrade process.

Even after the 1 year free window?

Thanks for all the answers, sorry for all these questions.

• Locked thread