Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Malloreon posted:

How do you do this and keep PS4 support? PS3 is fine, but dropping 4 is not.

The PS4 isn't holding back the game's UI much, as it's basically a mid-spec PC. Remember that it took them several patches to figure out how to get the PS3 to be able to support focus target, and it's taken them even longer to figure out some way to indicate other party members' TP. The PS4 isn't totally unlimited, but they can definitely do more with the UI when that's the base specification than the PS3.

Doublestep posted:

your obsession with a ui element that is used by 5% of the playerbase in wow is hilarious

Pretty sure more than 5% of the playerbase ever played monk, rogue, or literally any class in the game, since most if not all of them have some kind of special resource display. If you mean only 5% of the playerbase uses the default UI, well 100% of the XIV playerbase uses the default UI.

WoW is an easy reference for everyone, most modern MMOs have something going on that's not just HP/MP/AP. I can almost guarantee you that's somewhere on Yoshi-P's spreadsheet of poo poo Modern MMOs Do that they decided to put aside until they're not fighting the ridiculous UI restrictions for the PS3 constantly, and that they have some new jobs they're kicking around that they can't really do how they want to without having some breathing room in having a display for additional resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Farg posted:

Just merge classes and jobs, but have it show the class name until you hit level 30 and do your job quest. So your a marauder until 30; then your always a warrior. No more class/job distinction, and you don't have to do poo poo to the story

I'd be curious to know what exactly the class/job distinction is doing to the database that's causing so much extra data, as yes this is a potential solution but there's currently the problem that you can level something all the way to 60 if you really want to without ever unlocking your job, and all of the quests have a pretty important point where you move over to the jobmaster instead of the class guild (which also requires the corresponding level 15, though that's probably one of the easier problems to solve). As such, if you have to complete the quest to unlock Job and you're now permanently Job, there has to at least be an additional flag in the character data to say that you've done that, which doesn't sound like it will save any space from what they're currently doing. Also what the gently caress do you do with Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar.

There really is no simple, clean solution to the problem or they would have done it already. Anything that's "just" followed by a few words is going to have some major drawbacks that need to be worked around somehow.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ok gently caress it, bring in another cleansing meteor.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Boten Anna posted:

Pretty sure more than 5% of the playerbase ever played monk, rogue, or literally any class in the game, since most if not all of them have some kind of special resource display. If you mean only 5% of the playerbase uses the default UI, well 100% of the XIV playerbase uses the default UI.

WoW is an easy reference for everyone, most modern MMOs have something going on that's not just HP/MP/AP. I can almost guarantee you that's somewhere on Yoshi-P's spreadsheet of poo poo Modern MMOs Do that they decided to put aside until they're not fighting the ridiculous UI restrictions for the PS3 constantly, and that they have some new jobs they're kicking around that they can't really do how they want to without having some breathing room in having a display for additional resources.

every 'special resource' that wow classes have can be shown as buffs just like how resources work in ffxiv right now, with the exception of boomkin because it's a fluid resource

combo points on rogue dont even make sense in wow right now because they're universal like holy power (which is functionally aetherflow stacks) but they still display on target instead of on player.

dropping ps3 support for lovely ui elements that no one likes and prefer to use addons probably isnt a high priority

if you think anything is worth stealing from the wow ui you probably need help

except maybe their built in power auras or whatever

the game just needs addon support

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You don't do 'quick' changes for major parts of a game where changes have countless, and far-reaching, side effects for both server and client.

They'll also never add another class-based job if for no other reason than it'd mean players could have said job at max level immediately unless they add a new base class which is the exact opposite of what YoshiP and co want. Also see: SCH and SMN balance issues others mentioned.

At no point did I ever use the terms 'good,' 'balanced,' or 'well thought out.'
Of course it was a terrible idea. Hence, quick. Followed by dumb joke example.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I quite like that this game doesn't have either merits or skill trees.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Just give me an achievement for 5000 goons stuffed into airships by plunger.

Then I will have truly touched the sublime.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Failboattootoot posted:

I quite like that this game doesn't have either merits or skill trees.

If you thought pubbies had bad DPS now, imagine if they had the freedom to choose talents.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

Just give me an achievement for 5000 goons stuffed into airships by plunger.

Then I will have truly touched the sublime.

This made me laugh pretty good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tiramisu posted:

Read your buffs when you're crafting for the Ixali daily quests. There's one that lowers max CP, one that prevents cross class skills, etc.
Honestly, I still haven't found the HUD option to actually read buffs. Like, a mouseover description.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Doublestep posted:

every 'special resource' that wow classes have can be shown as buffs just like how resources work in ffxiv right now, with the exception of boomkin because it's a fluid resource

combo points on rogue dont even make sense in wow right now because they're universal like holy power (which is functionally aetherflow stacks) but they still display on target instead of on player.

dropping ps3 support for lovely ui elements that no one likes and prefer to use addons probably isnt a high priority

if you think anything is worth stealing from the wow ui you probably need help

the game just needs addon support

I think the main thing I'd like is if they moved class buffs/mechanics in the status bar to the center to make it a bit easier to keep track of.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Boten Anna posted:

I'd be curious to know what exactly the class/job distinction is doing to the database that's causing so much extra data, as yes this is a potential solution but there's currently the problem that you can level something all the way to 60 if you really want to without ever unlocking your job, and all of the quests have a pretty important point where you move over to the jobmaster instead of the class guild (which also requires the corresponding level 15, though that's probably one of the easier problems to solve). As such, if you have to complete the quest to unlock Job and you're now permanently Job, there has to at least be an additional flag in the character data to say that you've done that, which doesn't sound like it will save any space from what they're currently doing. Also what the gently caress do you do with Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar.

There really is no simple, clean solution to the problem or they would have done it already. Anything that's "just" followed by a few words is going to have some major drawbacks that need to be worked around somehow.

Have arcanist turn into either scholar or summoned and the other one pops up as a separate job that starts at 30 when you complete the corresponding quest

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Argas posted:

I think the main thing I'd like is if they moved class buffs/mechanics in the status bar to the center to make it a bit easier to keep track of.

Open the UI editor and move the status bar over.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Scholar and Summoner is weird since Scholar actually feels closer to the flavor of Arcanist but Summoner is a better progression of ACNs gameplay.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Doublestep posted:

See, you're starting to understand what I'm saying. :colbert:

I don't give a gently caress about any specifics, like I brought up the stagger thing by way of example because it's something I'm familiar with related to a type of tank I'd like to see because I like tanking and it's easier to reference that than explain the very concept of additional resources in the first place, not because I'm demanding anything specific. The fact is that they did a great job of masking that all of the jobs work with very simple resources and cramming a bunch of poo poo into the buff bar, but that's really not ideal, even if you're so transcendentally awesome at the game that you don't care so much you have to shitpost about it. Ultimately, XIV would have more polish and be easier for new people to understand if, say, greased lightning and wrath/abandon stacks had a unique displays that filled up some kind of meter and glowed or something at maximum, or Astrologian cards had a more visual representation of the card hand, and that's just spitballing existing jobs.

Really my only point is just how far back the PS3's limitations on the UI are holding things, and that there are a lot of possibilities that its continued support aren't allowing. Unpacking why you need to hyperfocus on examples I use to illustrate the larger concept and get aggressive about them is something only you can do, however.

Farg posted:

Have arcanist turn into either scholar or summoned and the other one pops up as a separate job that starts at 30 when you complete the corresponding quest

This is probably what they will have to do, though with the major downside of that anyone who doesn't already have it leveled will have to level both, effectively placing yet another DPS job into crowded DPS queues, or having to do some contrivance to link the levels of both of them. It'd be better if they could find a way to make Scholar available from level 1, so there's more than one healing class that starts at level 1 for new players who want to heal, which is still a really weird problem this game has. This leads into my point that all of the simple solutions that follow the formula of "just" followed by only a few words are deeply flawed in some way.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 31, 2015

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Tenzarin posted:

Open the UI editor and move the status bar over.

I think he means "sort out the doesn't-matter poo poo from the does-matter poo poo" which, as an MNK, seems pretty reasonable.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LordSaturn posted:

I think he means "sort out the doesn't-matter poo poo from the does-matter poo poo" which, as an MNK, seems pretty reasonable.

Right click can remove buffs.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Tenzarin posted:

you can substitute a cup of oil with a cup of applesauce in baking recipes

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Honestly, I still haven't found the HUD option to actually read buffs. Like, a mouseover description.

Hover your mouse over them.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Something I don't really have a good solution for but is definitely a problem is this bullshit. I fairly regularly want to cancel berserk so I don't end up eating Pacify at an inopportune time, but mousing over the tiny icon while running around avoiding something (which I always am when I want to cancel, as that's the entire point) as all sorts of buffs are added and removed and move where Berserk is on the screen, often resulting in you cancelling buffs you don't want to cancel, is kind of bullshit. Most people don't even know they can be cancelled in the first place, also good loving luck if you use a controller.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

And that's on a PC. Trying to click off a buff mid-fight on a controller is crazy talk.

A / command to cancel specific buffs would be nice so people could macro it, but it seems like a low demand item.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So is it possible to raid in this game without poopsocking? I really, really enjoy white mage and when I hit 60 I want to do some of the end game content, but I'm starting a graduate degree in two weeks and won't be able to raid like I could when I was a teenager/younger person in WoW and RIFT. Can I still participate or am I hosed?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Are these stupid loving gathering books worth the 99 blue scrip tokens it takes to get them :eyepop:

also i have no words for the rage i feel that the cool hat the dragongirl that upgrades law/eso stuff has is the crp 180 so it's not glamorable gently caress OFF YOSHI HOLY gently caress AGHHAGHSE

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Thundarr posted:

And that's on a PC. Trying to click off a buff mid-fight on a controller is crazy talk.

A / command to cancel specific buffs would be nice so people could macro it, but it seems like a low demand item.

I just want a / command to change your title so I can use a different title for every class without it being annoying levels of effort.

Also multiple glamours for different classes on one item. This is one part where the current endgame is really lacking. I shouldn't have to dress my PLD the same as my DRK just because they share gear. :colbert:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

seorin posted:

I just want a / command to change your title so I can use a different title for every class without it being annoying levels of effort.

Also multiple glamours for different classes on one item. This is one part where the current endgame is really lacking. I shouldn't have to dress my PLD the same as my DRK just because they share gear. :colbert:

Thank god Esoterics have split it back up again for now, I was afraid I'd need to keep my law gear around :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Frog Act posted:

So is it possible to raid in this game without poopsocking? I really, really enjoy white mage and when I hit 60 I want to do some of the end game content, but I'm starting a graduate degree in two weeks and won't be able to raid like I could when I was a teenager/younger person in WoW and RIFT. Can I still participate or am I hosed?

They added raid finder. You can see all the content without poopsocking.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

They added raid finder. You can see all the content without poopsocking.

Are they really doable in pubs though? I remember trying to do pickup raids in RIFT and WoTLK and it was a loving nightmare. That's cool though and I'm happy it's possible since I don't think <<EULA>> even has a static or anything

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Frog Act posted:

Are they really doable in pubs though? I remember trying to do pickup raids in RIFT and WoTLK and it was a loving nightmare. That's cool though and I'm happy it's possible since I don't think <<EULA>> even has a static or anything

Alexander story is pretty easily doable with pubs (expect some wipes)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Frog Act posted:

You definitely can. Alex normal can be done with random people and when they put in new 24 man stuff that will be too. The quality of duty finder can vary wildly, so finding some more permanent people definitely can't hurt, but you can do a whole lot of stuff at whatever pace you like.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I think it would be cool if I could tell when someone could use {Goad}

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

seorin posted:

I want titles and glamour to be saved with the gear set.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Frog Act posted:

I'm too wrapped up in crafting lately to try since i got the ilevel to attempt it but everything I've heard from Alexander is that it's roughly the same success rate as expert and trial roulette.

Sometimes it will go horribly wrong but it seems entirely.manageable

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hover your mouse over them.
First thing I tried. Must have whatever window it is turned off in the HUD?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Frog Act posted:

If you're not in a hurry, it's definitely possible. The best gear is gated by a limited weekly cap of tokens you get for running level 60 dungeons (Allagan Tomestones of Esoterics) which is really easy to hit just doing one dungeon roulette (Expert) every day for some days of the week, less days if you throw in a PVP roulette (it's fun, fast, and requires absolutely no preparation.) If you only care about the raid story, there's a version of the endgame raid (Alexander) that is easy to complete in Duty Finder and gives you ok gear while having the whole story. If you want the challenge without the poopsock, it's also possible, and there are plenty of goon groups alone that are centered on relaxed raid schedules and clearing content at their own pace, and as more people get access to Esoterics gear, it will be increasingly possible to join in with Party Finder groups to raid if you can't hold to a schedule.

Like my group for instance has had a bunch of people who haven't had the playtime to hit 60 and i170 until recently, and we just helped them through the story version of Alexander this week, and next week we'll probably work on getting the extreme primals on farm. Week after that everyone should have Esoteric or at least primal weapons and we might start dipping into the actual Alexander raid if we feel ready.

Basically you'll really only have a problem if you can't carve out ~1h or less most (but not all) days to run on the gear treadmill so you have good enough stuff to be able to participate in raids, and that's only if you want to do the hardest stuff.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think it would be cool if I could tell when someone could use {Goad}

Some sort of TP indicator is coming in 3.1 I think it was. Please look forward to it!

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 31, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Frog Act posted:

I raid 4 hours a week with my group and although we historically generally get clears after echo/DF is out (started late on SCoB, got t10 pre-nerf), we've always cleared before the content was irrelevant. I think as long as you're ok with having better gear than the first wave of raiders, the content has always been doable while still current. In Heavensward the normal difficulties appear to be tuned such that you will be able to basically pug them, or farm them quickly with a pre-formed group, so it should be easier for you now. Then you can focus on things like extreme primals and whatnot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Boten Anna posted:

I'd be curious to know what exactly the class/job distinction is doing to the database that's causing so much extra data

A level 60 PLD/MNK/WAR still also has data for their level 60 GLD/PGL/MRD which is a lot of excess and 100% worthless bloat. Multiply that by a few million characters across servers (because insactive/banned account still take up space) and you get a shitload of excess garbage that your admins would love to be able to nuke (see: EVE Online's bookmark purges when Warp to Zero was added).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If classes went away and jobs took over, Pugilist wouldn't exist, and therefore people wouldn't meet Hamon Holyfist. And that's terrible, therefore the 1.0 class/job system is good. Hail Tanaka.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

If you're not in a hurry, it's definitely possible. The best gear is gated by a limited weekly cap of tokens you get for running level 60 dungeons (Allagan Tomestones of Esoterics) which is really easy to hit just doing one dungeon roulette (Expert) every day for some days of the week, less days if you throw in a PVP roulette (it's fun, fast, and requires absolutely no preparation.) If you only care about the raid story, there's a version of the endgame raid (Alexander) that is easy to complete in Duty Finder and gives you ok gear while having the whole story. If you want the challenge without the poopsock, it's also possible, and there are plenty of goon groups alone that are centered on relaxed raid schedules and clearing content at their own pace, and as more people get access to Esoterics gear, it will be increasingly possible to join in with Party Finder groups to raid if you can't hold to a schedule.

Like my group for instance has had a bunch of people who haven't had the playtime to hit 60 and i170 until recently, and we just helped them through the story version of Alexander this week, and next week we'll probably work on getting the extreme primals on farm. Week after that everyone should have Esoteric or at least primal weapons and we might start dipping into the actual Alexander raid if we feel ready.

Basically you'll really only have a problem if you can't carve out ~1h or less most (but not all) days to run on the gear treadmill so you have good enough stuff to be able to participate in raids, and that's only if you want to do the hardest stuff.

Some sort of TP indicator is coming in 3.1 I think it was. Please look forward to it!

nuru posted:

I raid 4 hours a week with my group and although we historically generally get clears after echo/DF is out (started late on SCoB, got t10 pre-nerf), we've always cleared before the content was irrelevant. I think as long as you're ok with having better gear than the first wave of raiders, the content has always been doable while still current. In Heavensward the normal difficulties appear to be tuned such that you will be able to basically pug them, or farm them quickly with a pre-formed group, so it should be easier for you now. Then you can focus on things like extreme primals and whatnot.

RuanGacho posted:

I'm too wrapped up in crafting lately to try since i got the ilevel to attempt it but everything I've heard from Alexander is that it's roughly the same success rate as expert and trial roulette.

Sometimes it will go horribly wrong but it seems entirely.manageable

Awesome! Yeah, I can definitely carve out an hour or two a day, I just can't do the five or six hours four nights a week I used to in other MMOs. Definitely stoked to hit 60 and try this stuff, how long is the 50-60 grind? Assuming I do all the MSQs cus I'm really into it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evil Fluffy posted:

A level 60 PLD/MNK/WAR still also has data for their level 60 GLD/PGL/MRD which is a lot of excess and 100% worthless bloat. Multiply that by a few million characters across servers (because insactive/banned account still take up space) and you get a shitload of excess garbage that your admins would love to be able to nuke (see: EVE Online's bookmark purges when Warp to Zero was added).

This I don't understand, you you need to see how they have their data arranged. All hot keys/gear sets are kept client side the only thing they would really store would be base stats and what skills are unlocked.

Ill expand on this

So they would most likely track
Race
Subrace
Level
Equiped items
Skills
Armory items
Inventory items(how they are arranged is client side)
Retainer items

I would figure they would have everything calculate on update for a database field. I don't see that much lag changing out items so I can't complain. Stats and hp would be the most noticeable to the user.

The huge bulk would have to be the sheer number of items but you would find that in any MMO.

I thought they were just unhappy how weapons decide everything.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm a little unclear on Glamoring rules. When I get the AF2 gear that is class-dependant, will I be able to transmog more broadly usable equipment to appear like my AF2 gear... like for example if the next set of Tomestone gear is multi-class Fending items, can I make it look like WAR-only AF2 equipment?

• Locked thread