Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

ranbo das posted:

Also works on EU and SEA from what I've heard

Oh, so it does. Thanks for the info. Also anyone who can't get behind the Phoenix and Omaha are beyond any kind of help or understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

ALBANY did something on my EU account, not that I'd actually play the game and check.
The grind is ridiculous, not playing the sexually confused Phoenix/Omaha ships for another 100 matches to get to a real ship.

The Phoenix is decent, and the Omaha is one of the best ships in the US cruiser line, honestly. I like my Omaha more than I like my Cleveland.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

Haha, EU server gets 2x instead of 1.5x for 3 days. :saddowns:

even on their humble bundle murmansks?

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Vivick posted:

I've made it up to the Wyoming and Myogi, and while the Wyoming is obviously the better boat of these two I'm not sure which line I should continue with. Which one do you guys think is more fun/well rounded?

I hate to say this since I've ground up so far the Japanese BB line (and maybe this is totally a case of the grass being greener on the other side of the fence), but do US BB's. Japanese BB's are much faster in a straight line and somewhat more accurate, but have thinner overall armor and much weaker deck armor, which makes them a lot less forgiving.

US BB's are nice and intuitive! They go slow, but turn just as fast if not faster from what I hear, and most of them are real tough sons-of-bitches, plus they have more AA which is mega important currently. The line only seems to have two stinkers, which are the South Carolina and Colorado, but every other ship is either good or magical (New Mexico, North Carolina, Iowa). I always go into a duel with an American BB expecting to lose, because if they angle properly, it is just a nightmare to do any sort of meaningful damage to them, while at the same time, they have no problem punching through my armor in a Japanese BB. Also, their turret configuration rarely seems to change past tier 6, which does help you get used to and good at the playstyle you develop in them.

Japanese BB's unfortunately are just all over the place (probably a consequence of putting both battleships, battlecruisers and "fast battleships" in the same line). The first two are mediocre, the Kongo is a very good all-rounder, and then you get the Fuso which has double the firepower and works really well at range. But then you get the Nagato which drops the guns back down to six, and forces you to adopt a completely different playstyle you've just gotten used to. The Amagi gains a very good boost in speed but loses some armor, once again forcing you to re-adapt somewhat. And then the Izumo once again loses all the speed, loses a gun even though they're the same caliber as the previous ship's whom mounted more of them, and puts all the turrets in a configuration that not even the Myogi made you go through. It's a goddamn joke that an Izumo has to contend against a ship as solid as the Iowa.

There may be more Yamatos around, and the Yamato may very well be the superior tier 10 battleship. But in my mind, there is no question on which line is better: US BB's all the way.

OSad fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 31, 2015

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
My best South Carolina game involved surviving to late game and then hiding between two islands and popping out to citadel enemy BBs as they came close.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

Pretty much this, with the exception of the Colorado, the US bbs have been a joy to play and it has always been a source of joy to push into jap bbs, as they bounce off the front of my ship.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Wow. The Albany wouldn't be a good ship even if it only ever fought T1s...which still outrange it by 3.1-3.3 loving kilometers. To say nothing of the fact that it's really nothing but a 'prettier' premium Chester...which also outranges it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wow. The Albany wouldn't be a good ship even if it only ever fought T1s...which still outrange it by 3.1-3.3 loving kilometers. To say nothing of the fact that it's really nothing but a 'prettier' premium Chester...which also outranges it.

A pubby asked what I thought of it. I told him it was the Kawachi of CAs. I stand by this.

Also, every hit seems to take out the engine.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
lol at anyone who went into a game with the Albany and didn't immediately sell it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pharnakes posted:

lol at anyone who went into a game with the Albany and didn't immediately sell it.

I'm not hurting for port slots, and I have enough *decent* premiums that I'll never want for credits, but I never sell premiums. That being said, the seal-clubbing with St. Louii and Tenryu tonight (and probably for the next few days) will be amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pharnakes posted:

I'm waiting to find out if I get to keep the slot if I sell it. It isn't conditional, is it?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Night10194 posted:

I'm waiting to find out if I get to keep the slot if I sell it. It isn't conditional, is it?
No its not, they never are.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

cheese posted:

No its not, they never are.

Excellent. That'll give me a slot to do low tier stuff if I can drag another friend into boatfight.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I can't remember if it was touched on before, but I'm curious about the attitudes the other servers have against Carriers. Obviously a lot of goons and people on the US servers have a strong bias against them, but each server has its own metagame and I wonder if the problem Carriers pose in the NA servers is a lack of organization.

Are people in the Russian server screaming about nerfing Carriers?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't want carriers nerfed so much as I want them to be more interesting to play with and against if they're going to stay in. It isn't so much the power as the extremely feast or famine system and all.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Russians probably are not. It is my understanding that the metagame there is to travel in big blobs. Lots of AA in those formations and no easy pickings solo targets.

So yeah, lack of organization and very little reward for shooting down planes is the main problem with the NA server. More xp/credits for damaging boats in a loss than shooting down 30+ planes and doing little actual damage in a win.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I think a combination of having AA duty being a thankless task, bad matchmaking, powerful TBs but useless DBs huge power jumps in each tier, and lousy teamwork all conspire together to make the whole experience difficult for both sides.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AA isn't just thankless, it's boring. Say you're a cruiser with AA. Your job is to sit near stuff and hope an automated system knocks planes out of the sky. Does that sound compelling?

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Panfilo posted:

I think a combination of having AA duty being a thankless task, bad matchmaking, powerful TBs but useless DBs huge power jumps in each tier, and lousy teamwork all conspire together to make the whole experience difficult for both sides.

Cruisers aren't really introduced to their AA role. The first half of the cruiser line are basically simple gunboats with a side of torpedoes (or torpedoboats with a side of guns) and limited AA that goes off without any kind of input or consideration from you. Then suddenly you have good AA and catapult fighters and the "hidden" defensive fire ability that you probably didn't know you had because you get the (stupid) sonar search as default, but still you get way more rewards for shooting HE at boats than for splashing attack planes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Add this as a upgrade to the Des Moines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAM-N-2_Lark

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So wait, in my Wyoming I should be sailing directly at the enemy until I get close, and then swinging for a broadside? After that, should I straighten out towards them or away from them until I reload?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 31, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Panfilo posted:

Are people in the Russian server screaming about nerfing Carriers?
It's to my understanding that the reason all the close range AA guns were nerfed at OBT launch was because on the RU server everyone drove in a giant group and shredded planes.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Who wants to roll with me in my newly renamed account FOG_SomaliPirate_Dinghy? I will be providing insults in chat courtesy of Google Translate.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Am I right in thinking I should just sell the free Albany and use the slot for an aircraft carrier?

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Night10194 posted:

AA isn't just thankless, it's boring. Say you're a cruiser with AA. Your job is to sit near stuff and hope an automated system knocks planes out of the sky. Does that sound compelling?

also given that planes are faster than boats they can just go away and torpedo someone else without a diligent teamate to help them so :geno:

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

The Myogi C hull apparently cuts your turret rotation speed almost in half and gives you an extra ~3km of gun range (on top of the +20% you can get from the spotter plane). This tremendous upgrade isn't listed beforehand as anything more than +1 artillery or something like that. It's actually pretty fun to drive now that I can take advantage of the ship's speed and turn rate without losing the ability to fire.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Sperglord Actual posted:

Am I right in thinking I should just sell the free Albany and use the slot for an aircraft carrier?

Well, you're half right.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Am I the only one who wants for standard battle to be optional from the game? I draw like 60% of the time from a cv hiding in corner somewhere. Just had a 1815 exp game on a draw because the cv bombed someone on cap with 30sec left.

edited because i'm bad and have bad memory.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 31, 2015

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Really the main problem with Carriers is torpedo bombers. Torpedoes do enormous amounts of damage, plus apply a damage over time effect, plus are fired in a big salvo. For Destroyers that's fine because they either launch from far away and give people a chance to avoid the torpedoes or they get in real close and put themselves in a lot of danger in order to make sure their torpedoes connect.

For Carriers, though, you can do a manual drop from close range that is guaranteed to get at least one hit and probably more against battleships while your ship hangs out safely behind an island on the other side of the map in no danger whatsoever. The whole risk/reward thing is completely off balance: you get huge reward for no risk. Worst case scenario for a Destroyer going in close to sucker punch a Battleship is that the Battleship fires a salvo into him and he dies. He's out for the rest of the game and if he plays poorly or the Battleship plays well it's fairly likely to happen. Worst case scenario for a Carrier is a nearby Cruiser is actually just playing AA babysitter and uses his ability to shoot down the torpedo bombers quickly and they don't manage to land a hit. This is extremely unlikely to happen because AA babysitting is boring and shooting down planes provides very little reward, and even if it does happen it costs the Carrier a grand total of ten seconds to launch more torpedo bombers from his large supply of extras.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
He who has the most cap points when the time expires wins... gently caress this draw poo poo that encourages these drooling morlocks to run and hide as soon as they sniff the loss is coming.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Michi88 posted:

Am I the only one who wants for standard battle to be removed from the game? I don't think i've had one that WASN'T a draw from a cv hiding in corner somewhere. Just had a 1815 exp game on a draw because the cv bombed someone on cap with 30sec left.

I've never really seen standard battle go to a draw but maybe that's because I mostly beeline for wherever I think the enemy carriers are in any given battle so that I can blow them up.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I think carriers would be fine if the torpedoes had a longer arming distance (if they have one at all). I swear I've had them dropped within 1km or less of my ship and even trying to turn into them to pull a Red October results in eating the full spread. At that point you might as well just take your hands off the keyboard for all the control you have over the game.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Michi88 posted:

Am I the only one who wants for standard battle to be removed from the game? I don't think i've had one that WASN'T a draw from a cv hiding in corner somewhere. Just had a 1815 exp game on a draw because the cv bombed someone on cap with 30sec left.

demonR6 posted:

He who has the most cap points when the time expires wins... gently caress this draw poo poo that encourages these drooling morlocks to run and hide as soon as they sniff the loss is coming.

Death to standard game mode.

cock hero flux posted:

The whole risk/reward thing is completely off balance: you get huge reward for no risk.

The sad part is that a carrier can do a destroyer's job much better than a destroyer can. A couple of squads of torpedo planes can spot ships, launch torpedoes in much better spreads than destroyers can, much closer and at late tiers, risk-free. As a final gently caress-you to destroyers, the carrier can also spot the destroyer AND park planes on top of him, at which point, there's nothing a destroyer can do to run away since he's less maneuverable than said planes, and can't shoot them down with his piddly AA. In a reverse situation, the destroyer has to catch up to the carrier, which is bound to not be a slowpoke at higher tiers, and all along the trench-run he risks being hit by enemy ships/dive bombers/torpedo bombers if the guy knows how to do his spreads.

I don't think torpedo damage is that high individually. But really, if I had a choice between three tier 10 destroyers or two tier 9 carriers, I would still take the carriers (or hell, maybe even just a single Taiho), because they're that much better at the whole destroyer thing.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

OSad posted:

Death to standard game mode.
And death to encounter game mode too. Draws after 20 minutes are lame as hell. Had an encounter game on the ice map the other day where we wiped out the enemy team except for a Sims that nobody saw all match. Right as we were about to cap with two minutes left, he shoots the two battleships in cap to reset then fucks off behind the islands to the SE. Battleships can't catch him because they are battleships. Cruisers are 20km away coming back from the NW corner where the enemy carrier ran. Friendly carrier got Midwayed in the first five minutes of the game. Two ships cannot fill the cap in less than two minutes so it was a draw.

I have over 6% draws which means the actual draw rate of standard/encounter battles is more than 10% which is just dumb.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Encounter isn't as bad as standard, but boy is it still bad. Domination should be the default mode forever.

Perhaps also a moving capture zone mode too, where points pop up, and capturing them gives you points, then despawns the point and a new one spawns.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

Perhaps also a moving capture zone mode too, where points pop up, and capturing them gives you points, then despawns the point and a new one spawns.

Bombardment mission? Attackers have to do whatever damage to some island target, defenders have to stop them?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

demonR6 posted:

this would fix a lot of things i think.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
There's around a 7% draw rate on SEA, probably a bit higher since I assumed wins and losses are equal (there are more wins).

No information on how the game modes compare, but obviously domination has near zero so you'd expect 10-11% across the other two modes.

2 cap mode just doesn't make any sense at all for boats. Encounter is understandable, but really a team with cap points and more ships alive should win if the timer expires.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 1, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Oh yeah, if the North America server does not have 2x xp after the reset in a few minutes, I would hold off doing your daily wins for a few hours. Last time Wargaming had bonus botes xp, the NA people forgot to turn it on until a few hours after the reset.

They supposedly have an announcement tonight too, but that is probably the Albany code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
"Happy Wargaming anniversary, everyone! To celebrate, we're giving everyone a free Albany!

Also, we're removing carriers from the game."