Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Psion posted:

oh lmao they're never ever hitting what anyone would consider complete by end of 2015 at this rate

:rip:

They'll call it complete when the ~FREE~ pyro/demo update comes out and start trying to sell us the other perks. Look forward to the sharpshooter/dragon pack in May 2016, yours for only $9.99!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

THE CHORSE posted:

They'll call it complete when the ~FREE~ pyro/demo update comes out and start trying to sell us the other perks. Look forward to the sharpshooter/dragon pack in May 2016, yours for only $9.99!

While I'm not expecting something as far gone as that, it is getting a bit disheartening that we're a day away from August, and still have nothing of note added or revised since they added the Manor Map at the end of May.

Do we even know what the Firebug's 4th weapon is going to be yet?

EDIT: Questioner, is there any chance of getting some insight to much of this apparent change in vibe from 'time for quality' to 'delay?' is because you are trying to deal with everything in one go so you don't have to go back and fix stuff from scratch? Like, is implementing zed teleport changes being held up by finishing the new maps first so you can test it all at once?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 31, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can someone please tell me why any Support would take the ammo boost over granting reloads to everyone else on the team? Assuming you have two Supports on a team of six (highly likely with only four classes still in) that's not only extra ammo for everyone but crucial, Fleshpound killing grenades.

Section Z posted:

I'm looking forward to firebug, but not looking forward to this general mindset regarding it being basically inevitable :downs:
Burning Hans and running away might be a successful if incredibly drawn-out way to beat him when lots of people die early?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Questioner, is there any chance of getting some insight to much of this apparent change in vibe from 'time for quality' to 'delay?' is because you are trying to deal with everything in one go so you don't have to go back and fix stuff from scratch? Like, is implementing zed teleport changes being held up by finishing the new maps first so you can test it all at once?

I don't really understand the logic behind holding back everything, including bugfixes and minor tweaks, for one giant patch. If they've got stuff done, they should push it.

E: To expand a bit, what I mean by the above is that Steam seems pretty flexible about allowing developers to deploy patches. ARK, for example, is an early access game that has been pushing multiple patches each week, containing anything from additional content to bug fixes to optimization. The point is, though, that the developers of ARK push out whatever they've got functioning when it is done. That doesn't seem to be happening here, which I argue isn't really sensible, given that we're basically paying to test the game as it develops.

It's also weird to hear Tripwire tell us that they're internally testing Berserker tweaks when they could just, you know, push the tweaks and see how the playerbase does with them. I think thousands of people can probably generate better data and feedback than a team of developers can.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 31, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It would certainly do a better job of keeping me interested in the game.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
There's been A LOT of feedback from players who just want us to push the content ASAP and we totally get that. On the flip side we're really trying not to use early access as an excuse to dump incomplete and buggy content onto the community. As much as people lean on the excuse of "It's still in early access!" customers and press will absolutely slam a game if it's unstable and buggy. Right now we're just struggling to balance the pace of content release with our quality standards (I'm the QA Manager, in case people aren't aware, so that's basically my responsibility) and our own sanity.

The pace of updates that we had during the Beta isn't sustainable for the development team or QA team and every time we do an update it takes coder and QA time to make the patch that could be spent coding new features or making refinements so there's a balance that we're going to have to find in keeping the community interested and fed with new content and not killing ourselves or pushing out stuff that's not ready for public consumption yet.

As for releasing individual features when they're done, there's a lot of revision that's happening for things like perks but they're very rarely isolated changes. When we decided to tweak the berserker it wasn't with the intent that we'd just change the active perk lists and push out the changes once those were done. The changes are designed to be pushed out along with a full overhaul of the melee and parry systems, changes to the creature incap system, visual effects and sound cues to make it easier to tell when you've blocked and parried attacks and probably some stuff I'm forgetting. This might all be indicative of a problem with how we scope stuff at Tripwire but the intent is that instead of rolling out a bunch of band-aid fixes and small changes we wanted to get to the core of the problems with Berserker and address them in a meaningful way. ZED teleporting would be another great example of a problem that we want to address but we don't want to address it in a ad-hoc kind of way. New systems need to be designed, developed, tested and proven if we're going to make a serious change there because so much of the game balance is depending on that system being there.

Anyway, tl;dr - We know people want content more often and we'll see what we can do to adjust to that expectation without pouring hot garbage down your throats. We just might have to adjust how we approach things because we tend to think big and we don't consider early access as an excuse to release content we know is buggy.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Just going to hit on one thing here, then I'll stop being obnoxious (probably).

Questioner86 posted:

As for releasing individual features when they're done, there's a lot of revision that's happening for things like perks but they're very rarely isolated changes. When we decided to tweak the berserker it wasn't with the intent that we'd just change the active perk lists and push out the changes once those were done. The changes are designed to be pushed out along with a full overhaul of the melee and parry systems, changes to the creature incap system, visual effects and sound cues to make it easier to tell when you've blocked and parried attacks and probably some stuff I'm forgetting. This might all be indicative of a problem with how we scope stuff at Tripwire but the intent is that instead of rolling out a bunch of band-aid fixes and small changes we wanted to get to the core of the problems with Berserker and address them in a meaningful way. ZED teleporting would be another great example of a problem that we want to address but we don't want to address it in a ad-hoc kind of way. New systems need to be designed, developed, tested and proven if we're going to make a serious change there because so much of the game balance is depending on that system being there.

Specifically with regard to the Berserker changes, then, Yoshiro posted in a July 10 update that...

quote:

Overall we feel zerker lovers will have much to be happy about as we finalize the new skill tree. As mentioned previously we are still working on the final numbers and percentages for the initial rollout of this new tree and we will likely be making tweaks up until the release.

The italicized portion in particular suggests that the Berserker changes are mostly done. That may not be true, but the post certainly leaves the impression that the Berserker revamp is basically done, and you guys are just tweaking numbers so that things ~~feel right~~ during internal testing. That's comprehensible, but it's specifically something like this that has me wondering why the changes are being pushed to see how the playerbase likes them. We are here to test, after all, and having the numbers a little off isn't the same as content being buggy. That said, perhaps the content isn't as close to finished as Yoshiro seems to be suggesting. In the case, more careful wording might be in order.

Similarly, if the Berserker stuff is finished before the other stuff, there's probably not a compelling reason to hold off and bundle it all together.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
I think there's a lot of misinterpreted and optimistic reading of Yoshiro's post going on there. When the design is still working on the final values and the code team is doing the initial roll out of the feature we're talking about 1st iteration. At that stage there were at least 2 perk abilities that did absolutely nothing due to bugs in the implementation and the berserker health steal ability was absolutely game breaking because it applied itself when you used any weapon (I have to admit that a vampric AA-12 was pretty :unsmigghh: ) I'd still not want to release the berkserker perk in it's current state until we get some more bugs ironed out.

Fact remains that the player base is really thirsty for new content and information about this new content and we're pretty much learning this as we go. We've even started including our task days remaining in the What We Are Up To posts so that there's some transparency into how far from the finish line we are but there's always room for improvement and more meaningful and clear communication.

edit: Just to be clear, I think it's totally understandable how people could think we were way further along given how Yoshiro described the work being done. Sorry I don't have more positive news on that front.

Questioner86 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 31, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
1) release the vampiric AA-12, release that poo poo right now. That isn't a bug that is a FEATURE. HoE here I come. :getin:

Questioner86 posted:

Fact remains that the player base is really thirsty for new content and information about this new content and we're pretty much learning this as we go. We've even started including our task days remaining in the What We Are Up To posts so that there's some transparency into how far from the finish line we are but there's always room for improvement and more meaningful and clear communication.

On this specific point ... I find the spreadsheet part of the posts to be drat near meaningless in telling me "how far from the finish line" you guys are. We don't have the context required to make those charts meaningful. I'm not saying I want to know that context, because I don't. I want a chart which tells me, at a glance, how close I am to rocketing a scrake and/or lighting a room full of bloats on fire. The existing one is detailed, but I think that detail obfuscates the goal of telling me how close we are to that happening.

I did like something I saw recently trying to explain beta bounce, though. Two lines on the same set of axes, green indicating closed issues that week and red indicating new issues that week. It seemed to give an idea of overall progress and the current trend of progress. It works at a glance, and I can assume if I see a bunch of green and not a lot of red, things are probably going well and close to a new release. If I see a bunch of red, they aren't. I don't know the severity of each issue, no, but it gives a general overview of the progress and I liked it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Questioner86 posted:

There's been A LOT of feedback from players who just want us to push the content ASAP and we totally get that. On the flip side we're really trying not to use early access as an excuse to dump incomplete and buggy content onto the community.

Dude, "incomplete, buggy content" is the definition of Early Access. This is supposed to be a beta of sorts to test the game. Let us test it for you!

Psion posted:

Release the vampiric AA-12, release that poo poo right now. That isn't a bug that is a FEATURE. HoE here I come. :getin:

Also this. :black101:

Seriously, I respect your commitment to providing quality stuff, but this is Early Acess, people literally bought this game before the "official release date" expecting a quasi-beta experience. There's a time where you have to shoot the engineer (or the head of QA, sorry dude :v:) and toss a patch out as soon as you've made sure that it doesn't have any known horrible crashes in it. Your long silence is killing player retention and interest as, despite your posts, a lot of people just aren't aware or don't feel that you are actually working on the game. You're judging yourself on intentions, others judge you on actions. While your intentions may be true and honest, your community isn't seeing very much on the action front (besides the occasional cock-tease gif of stuff like rocket launcher backblast :flashfap: )

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad Trip wants to release the content when its done, I just want updates on is all, not perpetual dead silence.

Show us far you've come along and such, get me hype.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Questioner's answer is what my "Optimistic" expectations on the matter were, yeah. It might help matters if some point soon you re clarify "We're rebuilding the ENTIRE melee system, not just Zerker guys." and such... but probably not given the Average Internet Poster, even if only a week had passed instead of the current wait.

Thanks for at least stopping by to answer though, you are my (no names mentioned) example when people say Trip doesn't give any feedback for bugs. You totally gave me feedback over those stupid knife bugs.

Though yeah,Two months of literally nothing on the applied to players front, with only 5 more in the year? That is when you are passing the point of patience even for the people who prefer the polished content over buggy poo poo approach. I suppose there was the Windows10 hotfix, but you would have been forced to deal with windows 10 either way :v:

Shumagorath posted:

Can someone please tell me why any Support would take the ammo boost over granting reloads to everyone else on the team? Assuming you have two Supports on a team of six (highly likely with only four classes still in) that's not only extra ammo for everyone but crucial, Fleshpound killing grenades.

multiple Level 25 Supports with clantags on teamspeak take the Ammo Talent so they can hurt your brain by calling YOU selfish for not taking supplier, when you spawn in at wave 3 with five dollars and a pump action when they both already have AA12s.

More realistically, I take ammo if i join in a wave past the first, then switch to supplier the rest of the match. I'd probably never use the Ammo talent at all if not for how often internet strangers refuse to give you so much as $50 (when you specify you only need $50), body block you so they can get ammo boxes instead of you, and only when it is assured there is no more ammo in sight they will U turn to mash E all over your face while you are down to 3 shotgun shells.

Oh lordy, hitting level 20 for the weight talent is so liberating on later waves. Why yes, I'll take keeping my pump action alongside my Boomstick and AA12, and thus over 40 extra shotgun shells to kill trash with over +10% damage please.

Shumagorath posted:

Burning Hans and running away might be a successful if incredibly drawn-out way to beat him when lots of people die early?

Unless the yet to be mentioned firebug weapon absolutely melts things, probably not. While the Off perk Flamethrower wrecks normal enemies, even Sirens get a good dent put in em... it just takes FOREVER to kill the big guys. Solo HoE Fleshpound for example, spawned in cheats mode so it is even standing still like an idiot in the ground flames. Took me over 400 flamethrower fuel to kill it, with Solo HP.

I expect I will fully enjoy the class, if the Off Perk flamethrower is any indication of how it works (PS: please keep the full reload cost $50). But a lot of people judge the value of a perk/weapon entirely on how easily it lets them solo Hans, or run away Kite him, and nothing else.

See also: People saying how they can't wait to one shot Hans during his first drain phase, and will likely complain the Demo is underpowered if they can't kill HoE fleshpound with one brick of C4.

EDIT

quote:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/801990554238489841

Tier 3 - Burn
Zed Shrapnel: Zeds killed by fire weapons have a 20% chance to explode, damaging other zeds nearby
OR
Zed Napalm: Zeds on fire will set other zeds on fire if they make contact with them

:neckbeard:
"You just enraged three scrakes with exploding clots"
"DON'T CARE :buddy:"

EDIT Two:

The final Firebug weapon is a Microwave Gun, we have a martian heat ray. Please let this be as amazing as it sounds.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 31, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm pretty sure way more people will buy it on release than however few people bought it on Early Access. Unless it's a zombie/dinosaur crafting game, Early Access tends to scare people away :v:

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Whatever, just tell us that we won't have to pay for the content that you already promised us. As it is right now I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that you guys are going to dump one monolithic "content pack" on us and then spit out some nonsense graph to support your assertion that we just have no idea how much time, effort, or money it takes to produce a game, and turn around and say "We ran out of money, but don't you want all the things we already promised you?"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alkydere posted:

Dude, "incomplete, buggy content" is the definition of Early Access. This is supposed to be a beta of sorts to test the game. Let us test it for you!

you might want that but most people don't get early access and will just treat it like a release

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Eonwe posted:

you might want that but tripwire doesn't get early access and will just treat it like a release

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
If you think we're going to pull some absolute bullshit like that then me saying we're not going to do that thing is pretty much worthless because Tripwire is not held to the iron clad promises made on the Something Is Awful Comedy Web Forums.

If you've got some sneaking suspicions that we're going to do some moronic cash grab then keep your money (or try to get a refund from Steam) and sit tight while we finish the game and decide when the game is out of early access if it's worth your money. I mean, let's be real for a second and acknowledge that there's going to be DLC for KF2 at some point (the whole reason we were able to release years of free content for KF1 for years was because of those character and weapon packs) but considering how successful KF2 has been for us so far it would be pretty stupid for us to burn all that good will and positive press by doing some bait and switch. Especially when you consider that there's a PS4 version of KF2 on the horizon with potentially millions of more users becoming aware of Killing Floor and the first thing they'll hear is how we were the lovely company who screwed all their PC customers.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alkydere posted:

It's up to the developer to decide how they'll approach early access. Nuclear throne has an update every single weekend where they pretty much throw up whatever unfinished stuff they're currently working on into the game, including incomplete things like menus that say "new menu in progress, sorry!" on them, so new content arrives quickly but is very buggy. Grim dawn by contrast releases new builds that are months apart, thoroughly debugged and polished, and feel like content ready to go straight in the final version of the game. I couldn't say if one method is better than the other, but those approaches probably get very different benefits out of early access and it's up to the developer to decide how they want to use it. I don't know if tripwire's approach is the right one, but how often they should update is their choice and not the testers'.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It's up to the developer to decide how they'll approach early access. Nuclear throne has an update every single weekend where they pretty much throw up whatever unfinished stuff they're currently working on into the game, including incomplete things like menus that say "new menu in progress, sorry!" on them, so new content arrives quickly but is very buggy. Grim dawn by contrast releases new builds that are months apart, thoroughly debugged and polished, and feel like content ready to go straight in the final version of the game. I couldn't say if one method is better than the other, but those approaches probably get very different benefits out of early access and it's up to the developer to decide how they want to use it. I don't know if tripwire's approach is the right one, but how often they should update is their choice and not the testers'.

I respect that. I mean, I'm used to Firaxis's "once a year...maybe." patches after all.

I'm mostly saying that what it really feels like Questioner and crew are spending too much time polishing right now. A polished final product is obviously desired, but as said it feels a bit silly to put too much polish on something when likely the first draft will have some sort of flaw (just how life works). Slap a coat of primer on it, make sure it doesn't burst into flames if looked at cross-eyed, then kick it out the door and let the community play with it (and make funny videos of it) while data is gathered.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alkydere posted:

I respect that. I mean, I'm used to Firaxis's "once a year...maybe." patches after all.

I'm mostly saying that what it really feels like Questioner and crew are spending too much time polishing right now. A polished final product is obviously desired, but as said it feels a bit silly to put too much polish on something when likely the first draft will have some sort of flaw (just how life works). Slap a coat of primer on it, make sure it doesn't burst into flames if looked at cross-eyed, then kick it out the door and let the community play with it (and make funny videos of it) while data is gathered.
On the other hand, getting a really robust system in place that works can mean that later updates are all tweaking numbers rather than requiring multiple huge overhauls of the system. I don't do any kind of development, so I'm really just talking about of my rear end here. Feedback's good. Putting a system in place that breaks whenever you add a new class/feature/weapon/whatever means you're spending a lot of time re-doing everything.

e: vvvv Precisely.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 1, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

On the other hand, getting a really robust system in place that works can mean that later updates are all tweaking numbers rather than requiring multiple huge overhauls of the system. I don't do any kind of development, so I'm really just talking about of my rear end here. Feedback's good. Putting a system in place that breaks whenever you add a new class/feature/weapon/whatever means you're spending a lot of time re-doing everything.

It seems to me they're setting up a lot of systems behind the scenes, like how they're completely redoing melee.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Questioner86 posted:

If you think we're going to pull some absolute bullshit like that then me saying we're not going to do that thing is pretty much worthless because Tripwire is not held to the iron clad promises made on the Something Is Awful Comedy Web Forums.

I could post this elsewhere, I suppose, but I'd probably catch a ban from the Tripwire forums and I don't have a Reddit account. I imagine the response would be the same across all three, though: "Tripwire is not held to any promises made here."

Questioner86 posted:

If you've got some sneaking suspicions that we're going to do some moronic cash grab then keep your money (or try to get a refund from Steam) and sit tight while we finish the game and decide when the game is out of early access if it's worth your money. I mean, let's be real for a second and acknowledge that there's going to be DLC for KF2 at some point (the whole reason we were able to release years of free content for KF1 for years was because of those character and weapon packs) but considering how successful KF2 has been for us so far it would be pretty stupid for us to burn all that good will and positive press by doing some bait and switch. Especially when you consider that there's a PS4 version of KF2 on the horizon with potentially millions of more users becoming aware of Killing Floor and the first thing they'll hear is how we were the lovely company who screwed all their PC customers.

I've already bought it, and if I could get a refund at this point I would, and I'd wait until April 2017 or whatever and see what the game looks like with a full set of perks and maps. You guys already seem pretty adept at manipulating the press, though. Just look at all of the attention that you got at E3 for announcing a FREE CONTENT PACK!!! that's really just a core component of the game that we already bought. I don't think you'll really have much to worry about when the time comes to announce that the next content pack is BIGGER, BADDER, AND LESS FREE (out of necessity, you see, it just got too big!)
PS4 gamers don't seem all too concerned with the state of PC games. Arkham Knight seems to be doing just fine. Ubisoft never has any trouble, despite their routine (and hilarious) dicking around of PC gamers. I'm sure PS4 owners will buy whatever Kotaku tells them is the next big thing. Maybe it will be KF2!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
you seem really angry about games and possibly ethics in gaming development

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

closeted republican posted:

It seems to me they're setting up a lot of systems behind the scenes, like how they're completely redoing melee.

That does seem to be the impression, yes. But at this point if feels like the issue is trying to completely redo so many things at once, and then (apparently) releasing them all at once. On their own, it's easy to understand that Zerker is taking longer because they are completely redoing the melee system. Or that Zed teleport tweaks are taking longer because there are new maps coming out to consider. Etc.

It's when you start to realize that is (apparently) applying to basically everything in the works, that you start wondering if a third month will go by before we see so much as a single patch note (That isn't "Windows 10 is not playing well with games, news at 11").

It's not a desire to open the floodgates of "EA is just throwing it all out there ASAP", it's a desire for literally anything after a two month gap of nothing.

I will still laugh at people going all :tinfoil: over the PR choice of wording for the "Free content pack". That was 99% certainly done because if they didn't outright remind people "It's FREE!", they'd get way more people having OMG WE HAVE TO PAY FOR FIREBUG!? DLC SATANS! reactions. They still had people making "Holy gently caress I have to pay for this!?" threads despite putting FREE in big neon letters on it needing "They said it's Free, you idiot" explained to them :cripes:

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Section Z posted:

I will still laugh at people going all :tinfoil: over the PR choice of wording for the "Free content pack". That was 99% certainly done because if they didn't outright remind people "It's FREE!", they'd get way more people having OMG WE HAVE TO PAY FOR FIREBUG!? DLC SATANS! reactions. They still had people making "Holy gently caress I have to pay for this!?" threads despite putting FREE in big neon letters on it needing "They said it's Free, you idiot" explained to them :cripes:

Yes, I understand the role of PR in promoting games, and I don't really have a problem with DLC as long as it adds something to the base game. What I do have a problem with is a dev promoting part of the base game as free DLC. There are implications to that, one of the obvious ones being that Tripwire fundamentally does not understand early access.

Maybe instead of calling it the Free Incinerate 'N Detonate Content Pack, call it the Fall Update.

THE CHORSE fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 1, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Section Z posted:

It's not a desire to open the floodgates of "EA is just throwing it all out there ASAP", it's a desire for literally anything after a two month gap of nothing.

Basically. Especially since that last update was a map, and I'd like to believe that the people making maps aren't also the ones doing all the other stuff, too.

That said, I don't think it's that terribly insane to speculate about the potential of some of the perks being paid DLC. The Steam Store page itself says "The goals for the full version are for all 10 Perks...", so it's not as though there has been some actual promise that anyone who bought into EA is guaranteed all 10 perks without additional payments. It's not that hard to believe that, if development ends up dragging out, the suits could feel the need to improve the bottom line or something.

E:

Magres posted:

you seem really angry about games and possibly ethics in gaming development

Do you not think ethics are important?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Do you not think ethics are important?

Not when the ethical concerns in question are stupid. Oh no, TWI called a planned free update a free content pack to garner some easy good press during E3. Clearly this means they are money-grubbing shills who will nickel and dime us for everything. Much like they did in KF1 by repeatedly releasing new, free game content that they supported through selling cosmetic content.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 1, 2015

az
Dec 2, 2005

shut up magres

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

az posted:

shut up magres

You better be ready to write a 500-word essay apologizing for being mean to Magres, or else you won't be able to post in this thread anymore.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm not going to slam the devs or anything because I realize how much work it is and I'm not that invested, but I'll just say this, as someone who was super pumped for KF2 before release: I'm bored of it and not really interested anymore. Take it as you will but smaller and faster content updates would probably have helped prevent that.

E: To be clear I'm not saying RELEASE IT ALL NOW because I know that's not how it works. Just smaller chunks instead of waiting for one big dump could have been better.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 1, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

You better be ready to write a 500-word essay apologizing for being mean to Magres, or else you won't be able to post in this thread anymore.

i wish i could be an epic memelord who made people eat mayo and write 500 word essays

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

THE CHORSE posted:

Yes, I understand the role of PR in promoting games, and I don't really have a problem with DLC as long as it adds something to the base game. What I do have a problem with is a dev promoting part of the base game as free DLC. There are implications to that, one of the obvious ones being that Tripwire fundamentally does not understand early access.

Maybe instead of calling it the Free Incinerate 'N Detonate Content Pack, call it the Fall Update.

your posts are poo poo and not in a funny way in the bad way

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Taffer posted:

I'm not going to slam the devs or anything because I realize how much work it is and I'm not that invested, but I'll just say this, as someone who was super pumped for KF2 before release: I'm bored of it and not really interested anymore. Take it as you will but smaller and faster content updates would probably have helped prevent that.

E: To be clear I'm not saying RELEASE IT ALL NOW because I know that's not how it works. Just smaller chunks instead of waiting for one big dump could have been better.

Yeah, this is more or less what I was trying to say.

Also, are you guys really afraid that Tripwire is going to try to sell weapon/class packs? The game/character customization is literally built around nickel and dime-ing us to death by selling the player base cosmetics. Tripwire doesn't need to hide gameplay behind additional DLC to make the game a long-term investment.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So what happened?

I was considering picking this up largely in part due to Tripwire's dedication and constant content infusions being impressive. Are they now slow, silent and full of microfees?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Ownager posted:

So what happened?

I was considering picking this up largely in part due to Tripwire's dedication and constant content infusions being impressive. Are they now slow, silent and full of microfees?

game is good, content is coming out that is high quality, if a bit slow, and no there isnt gameplay hidden behind fees

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Blazing Ownager posted:

So what happened?

Actually, none of these things. They post a weekly update on their website about progress and the only people that are saying anything about bait and switches are the two idiots in this thread.

At this point, it's probably best if the KF devs stop posting because of the toxicity of this thread.

az
Dec 2, 2005

please dont hurt tripwries feelings guys, that is not something we do on somethingawful dot com

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

:lol:

"Do you need rules for human empathy?"

"Yes!"

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Pfft, the whole reason I post here is that the goons in the KF thread have always been pretty decent compared to the other internet comment toilets.

People can talk poo poo all they want because I know :tinfoil: when I hear it and you've gotta focus on being cool to the the other 95% of your community that is capable of being happy instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Propaganda Hour posted:

Actually, none of these things. They post a weekly update on their website about progress and the only people that are saying anything about bait and switches are the two idiots in this thread.

At this point, it's probably best if the KF devs stop posting because of the toxicity of this thread.

Has my wishing things would pick up the pace a bit after two months of nothing patch wise been worded in a harsh manner? :ohdear: (Not sarcasm I've been known to ramble incoherently my way off a ledge)

Questioner's been decent about things so far either way.