Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

leongzanfa posted:

I'm unclear on the new Inquisitor's card text, but does the defending ship get an extra green dice at range 3 against him?

I read it as no, since it's listed as "treat the range of the attack" and not something like "Treat your ship as being at range 1."

I'm also digging that the Assault Carrier is in 1/270 and not the relative scale of the other huge ships. Which of course means it'll look goofy next to the others, but shouldn't look nearly as goofy as the GR75 next to a fighter, for example.

e: squinting at cards lol

TIE v1 title lets you do something after a target lock, Mist Hunter title lets you barrel roll but has something regarding tractor beams.

Zuckuss: "While attacking, you may roll one additional attack die. If you do, the defender rolls one additional defense die."

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leongzanfa
Aug 20, 2012

Devlan Mud posted:

I read it as no, since it's listed as "treat the range of the attack" and not something like "Treat your ship as being at range 1."

I'm also digging that the Assault Carrier is in 1/270 and not the relative scale of the other huge ships. Which of course means it'll look goofy next to the others, but shouldn't look nearly as goofy as the GR75 next to a fighter, for example.

e: squinting at cards lol

TIE v1 title lets you do something after a target lock, Mist Hunter title lets you barrel roll but has something regarding tractor beams.

Zuckuss: "While attacking, you may roll one additional attack die. If you do, the defender rolls one additional defense die."

So Inquisitor ignores Autothrusters too

Free evade after target lock i think

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

leongzanfa posted:

So Inquisitor ignores Autothrusters too

Free evade after target lock i think

Yeah, confirmed my squinting with these two FFG forums posts. FFG Forums are terrible, we all knew that already.

e: I am seriously hyped about all these new ships, and I don't even care about Star Wars Rebels in the slightest (and still don't have the inclination to care).

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 1, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Looks like there's a lot of Wave 7 showing up on eBay right now for those inclined to pay top dollar for their small plastic ships or who don't mind dropping $300 on an Imp Raider.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

AndyElusive posted:

Looks like there's a lot of Wave 7 showing up on eBay right now for those inclined to pay top dollar for their small plastic ships or who don't mind dropping $300 on an Imp Raider.

Gencon scalpers. Saw somebody buying six Hounds Tooth one day.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'm really hoping there's not a huge wait between gencon and regular release.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Crackbone posted:

Gencon scalpers. Saw somebody buying six Hounds Tooth one day.

I've never understood why people will pay so much instead of waiting the month or so and get their little plastic ships at discounted, pre-order prices. Then again, some people have more money than the know what to do with, apparently.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its not like any of that stuff will be tournament legal either. Theres no advantage to getting it early.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

zVxTeflon posted:

Its not like any of that stuff will be tournament legal either. Theres no advantage to getting it early.

You can play casual with it, and that's cool since not everything has to be about being elite tournament guys, but still.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You can play casually with proxies and save yourself ridiculous mark up prices

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

enigmahfc posted:

You can play casual with it, and that's cool since not everything has to be about being elite tournament guys, but still.

Casual is the last word I'd use to describe someone paying more than twice the retail cost of plastic space ships.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chill la Chill posted:

Casual is the last word I'd use to describe someone paying more than twice the retail cost of plastic space ships.

A good point.

leongzanfa
Aug 20, 2012

Devlan Mud posted:

Yeah, confirmed my squinting with these two FFG forums posts. FFG Forums are terrible, we all knew that already.

e: I am seriously hyped about all these new ships, and I don't even care about Star Wars Rebels in the slightest (and still don't have the inclination to care).

I'm just excited at the prospect of trying to use the Inquisitor's title+TL and the new tracer missiles to support my dreams of a Vessery list

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Cloaking_Device

I want to run N'Dru Suhlak with Lone Wolf, Cloaking Device, and Stygium Particle Accelerator as a 23-point Scum TIE Phantom.

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/XX-23_S-Thread_Tracers

XX-23 S-Thread Tracers will give me something to do with my 4 unused points on my Kath Scarlet/Push the Limit/Engine Upgrade/K4 Security Droid plus 4 Binayre Pirates list.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm not a huge fan of the Cloaking Device without an ACD, since you have no focus to modify your evades. Lone Wolf helps that somewhat, but you're still looking at an average of under 2 evades on a given roll, counting the reroll. That and the thing where you have a 1/4 chance of having to decloak or lose the cloak before everybody even sets their dial and you lose the card makes me really not confident in it. I probably wouldn't put it on anything that doesn't have PtL or some other way to get multiple actions.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The fact that it has a chance to burn out sucks, but it's only two points in a slot that I don't use very often anyway. Maybe it's worth using Experimental Interface and an elite talent that has an "Action:" in it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cloaking on a Starviper might help out that ship a bit since its able to pair it with autothrusters.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

zVxTeflon posted:

Cloaking on a Starviper might help out that ship a bit since its able to pair it with autothrusters.

I thought about Starviper first, but the whole ensemble is too expensive for my taste so I looked at the Zs next. N'Dru with Lone Wolf and a cloak (and nothing else) is only 2 points more expensive than he'd normally be and the cloak could help discourage the enemy from going after him first.

However, on the Starviper that would be a fuckton of evade dice. I don't even have 7 of them.

Edit: Or 8 with the Stealth Device even, lol

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 2, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

BattleMaster posted:

The fact that it has a chance to burn out sucks, but it's only two points in a slot that I don't use very often anyway. Maybe it's worth using Experimental Interface and an elite talent that has an "Action:" in it.

Stealth Device is illicit, and doesn't add Cloak to the action bar, it's specifically on the card itself. Experimental Interface works with it already, which I'd be willing to bet is deliberate. You run into the problem where you can only use one of them effectively like that, but it's enough that I'd be willing to take it on someone like Kavil for peak comedy.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Strobe posted:

Stealth Device is illicit, and doesn't add Cloak to the action bar, it's specifically on the card itself. Experimental Interface works with it already, which I'd be willing to bet is deliberate. You run into the problem where you can only use one of them effectively like that, but it's enough that I'd be willing to take it on someone like Kavil for peak comedy.

Sadly the Scum Ys are too noble and law abiding to have illicit goods in their rides so Kavil is a no go. I thought about Palob, as all that extra evasion would help him from being focused first, but that's a little too expensive just for the laughs; even the Starviper would be worth the cost more.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

BattleMaster posted:

Sadly the Scum Ys are too noble and law abiding to have illicit goods in their rides so Kavil is a no go. I thought about Palob, as all that extra evasion would help him from being focused first, but that's a little too expensive just for the laughs; even the Starviper would be worth the cost more.

drat. Someone please write up a new Y-wing title that gives them Illicit upgrades, tia.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Strobe posted:

. You run into the problem where you can only use one of them effectively like that

This turns out not to be a problem since cloaking device is unique.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Poopy Palpy posted:

This turns out not to be a problem since cloaking device is unique.

So it is! That seems like an important detail.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I got to play my first real game(i.e. not lovely tutorial box scenarios)!

I ran my scum list:
  • Boba Fett w/Veteran Instincts, Seismic Charge, Gunner
  • Kavil w/Autoblaster, Unhinged Astromech
  • 2xBlack Sun Soldier Z-95s
He ran an Imperial list:
  • Soontir Fel w/Push the Limit, Stealth Device
  • Sigma Squadron TIE Phantom w/Advanced Cloaking Device, Gunner
  • Mauler Mithel
  • Backstabber

It was my first experience playing with asteroids and my first experience playing against someone making a real attempt to play an arc dodger list. I was totally unprepared for exactly how agile elite Imperial TIEs, especially the Phantom/Interceptor; Soontir and the Phantom were basically loving wizards, as far as I was concerned. They pretty much ran circles around my arcs for the first few turns while I was caught pants down by their raw mobility. I ended up being kept in business only due to the sheer durability of Kavil/Fett, some very lucky bumps from my suicide Z-95s, and some very hot dodge dice. Eventually I ended up forming sort of a rolling fortress with a Z-95, Fett, and Kavil that proved really hard for him to effectively approach. Fett erased Mauler first in one burst of fire when a Z-95 gummed up Mauler's movement in a terrible way while Kavil's autoblaster kept Soontir honest. Soontir managed to blow out a Z-95 but I again guessed correctly with Fett and got a beautiful rear range 1 on Backstabber and blew him out. I then got pretty much shut out for 2 or 3 turns by the sheer agility of Soontir and the Phantom, but he wasn't able to land any real knockout blows because he was afraid to get his damaged TIEs into Kavil's turret range. Finally he said drat the torpedoes and went whole hog on trying to kill Kavil(at which point Fett would likely die alone since the other Z-95 was also left at 1 hull and wasn't long for the world) but I managed to predict him and limit Soontir's vector with the Z-95. Soontir was left just barely in the fire arc of a target locked Fett at range 1 with Gunner when Soontir had only two hull left and a damaged engine. :rip: The Z-95 was ripped apart by the Phantom's revenge fire but at that point a Phantom vs Fett and Kavil was effectively a foregone conclusion and it only took another turn to finish it.

I had a lot of fun and my opponent was a really good sport, helping me learn the game and continually reminding me about rules I forgot to use or wasn't clear on so I wouldn't miss out on bonuses I had paid for. He could have easily won except he had some really cold dice, I had some ridiculously hot dice(rolling 4 dice at Mauler and rolling 3 crits and a hit while he fluffs 3 evades), and I got some really, really lucky predictions with strangling his movement. I was very pleased with the performance of my entire force in general. Fett is an absolute loving monster, Kavil is basically a flying bubble of "gently caress you" to elite TIE arc dodgers, and I couldn't have asked for more out of my throwaway Z-95s besides all the heroic blocking, mucking with movement, and gunfire soaking they did. I gained a real respect for the sheer power of arc dodging in general and Soontir in particular this game.

It was super fun and I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to play again.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kanos posted:

It was super fun and I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to play again.

Congratulations and well played :3: Soontir Fel is rough for a new player to fight.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Strobe posted:

So it is! That seems like an important detail.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of FFG's unique dots. It's important enough to take up space as a keyword in the card's rules text.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
whoever suggested going back to elite Xwings wasn't wrong

just plated a game with this

Wes Janson (29)
R2 Astromech (1)
Veteran Instincts (1)

Wedge Antilles (29)
R2 Astromech (1)
Opportunist (4)

Luke Skywalker (28)
R2 Astromech (1)
Lone Wolf (2)
Stealth Device (3)

Total: 99

Flew it against a scum Kath, Skyk, and 3x Bitrate Pirate list. Luke's defensive ability + Lone Wolf meant that the stealth device actually did some work. The Wes/Wedge team is disgusting. Managed to pump out 5 target locked dice multiple times and absolutely ripped his lower PS ships to shreds. I feel like the R2 Astromech is way underrated for xwings. It was esp handy for Wedge using his Opportunist.

Irom fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 2, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
How well did the Stealth Device actually do? I usually run almost the same list, except with R2-D2 and VI on Luke. Stealth Device would technically fit, but that initiative bid is really important for Wedge to shoot before ships in his own skill. I don't know if I could justify a Stealth Device to save a hit or two when R2 usually comes through with four or five of them if my opponent isn't brutally focusing him down (and therefore letting Wes/Wedge gently caress poo poo up on an entirely different level).

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Strobe posted:

How well did the Stealth Device actually do? I usually run almost the same list, except with R2-D2 and VI on Luke. Stealth Device would technically fit, but that initiative bid is really important for Wedge to shoot before ships in his own skill. I don't know if I could justify a Stealth Device to save a hit or two when R2 usually comes through with four or five of them if my opponent isn't brutally focusing him down (and therefore letting Wes/Wedge gently caress poo poo up on an entirely different level).

I only took damage in one round when I whiffed all 4 defense dice. It really came through the other 4 or 5 times he took fire. I don't like R2D2 because of how restrictive and predictable he makes his ships, but that's just me. As for the PS, Wes did a great job clearing tokens for Wedge, I never felt I needed another attack from Luke to help strip tokens. I flew those two together and set Luke off on his own to keep his Lone Wolf working.

granted this was just one game, over time R2D2 may prove to be more effective. I have no idea how to calculate the actual math on Luke's ability + Lone Wolf + stealth device

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Going through for each permutation is going to suck, but as near as I can tell you've got a roughly ~10% chance to get all three evades with Luke's ability, Stealth Device, and Lone Wolf.

Which is a drat sight better than the barely 5% chance of getting it on three dice without a reroll or Luke's ability.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Strobe, I've decided that the next time I get to play X-Wang, which at my current going rate may be next to never, that I'm gonna run your Triple X list in your honor because it sounds fun and damnit I just want to play some X-Wing, come on people.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I've heard there were barely even single digit X-wings at Nationals and this saddens me greatly. X-wing supremacy, bitches.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

I've heard there were barely even single digit X-wings at Nationals and this saddens me greatly. X-wing supremacy, bitches.

Well obviously you have to win Nationals and set a new trend in the meta.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.
I tried out Strobe's triple X list against a friend's Brobots build and I gotta agree it's solid. The Wes + Wedge + Opportunist combo is brutal, and Luke with R2D2 is hard to take down. I lost, but it was a close match, and I think if I flew the list a few more times I could get the hang of it.

Do you deploy all 3 together and keep them in relative formation or do you tend to spread them out while trying to keep them pointed at the same target?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I usually fly in a very loose formation. They'll typically end up at the edge of range one, maybe range two from each other. Most often, I deploy with enough room to clear rocks by the width of the ruler, but try to keep them close-ish just as a rule of thumb. Luke goes on the side closest to the enemy (or what I want dead most), with Wedge on the middle and Wes on the outside. I want Luke shot at first since he contributes the least offense and the most defense, and Wes's ability doesn't care about range.

I try to keep that loose arrangement until the merge, at which point I end up going in all directions so that someone like Soontir or a phantom can't successfully dodge all of them in a given turn. If the opponents are big ships like a Decimator, kill that fucker dead and then deal with the hanginv on Soontir/Whisper. With this much offense you should be able to take it down in just a couple turns, and then it's 3-1 or 2-1 against something that can't frequently take hits, and can even less frequently dish out hits before you do.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

There were a bunch of X wings at chicago regional

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
All I want in this game is X-wing supremacy forever. Is that so much to ask?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

All I want in this game is X-wing supremacy forever. Is that so much to ask?

Yes, sorry, only fat turrets and brobots should be winning.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Panzeh posted:

Yes, sorry, only fat turrets and brobots should be winning.

I just want to see PS 4-7 actually matter ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Gate posted:

I just want to see PS 4-7 actually matter ever again.

Challenge accepted.

Wes Jansen (29)
Veteran.Instincts (1)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)

Total: 99

I'll make X-wings work again goddamn it.

• Locked thread