Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Man I hate anti-proton beams and it makes me sad they are the current king. That horrible clanging sound they make is just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Ramadu posted:

Man I hate anti-proton beams and it makes me sad they are the current king. That horrible clanging sound they make is just awful.

Look at this scrub still playing with the sound on.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Ramadu posted:

They changed the ant-proton turret/cannon noise a while back, and that became pretty poo poo. And the loving Chroniton Beam Array...

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

pulsey linked me this

ALL THE PLAYERS LOVE IT

http://steamcharts.com/app/9900#All

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah man they almost gained half a percent there over the last 30 days which means STO is only going up, Up, UP!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not as bad as I'd have expected.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Acer Pilot posted:

pulsey linked me this

ALL THE PLAYERS LOVE IT

What happened back in May 2013? Was that Dyson?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unguided posted:

What happened back in May 2013? Was that Dyson?

First summer event, maybe?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Just gonna drop this little tidbit here.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Neat, first T7 ships and they're the Connie and Miranda!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

:stare:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Let's be honest, this is pretty much inevitable. :ughh:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Registered on the wiki as cheesetriangles because I am a dumb idiot that bought a lifetime sub years ago so may as well play and spend all my funbucks on dumb poo poo.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Registered on the wiki as cheesetriangles because I am a dumb idiot that bought a lifetime sub years ago so may as well play and spend all my funbucks on dumb poo poo.

You're in

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Acer Pilot posted:

pulsey linked me this

ALL THE PLAYERS LOVE IT

That's just Steam, it doesn't show how many people are playing it through Arc.

Pretty sure there are more than 11 thousand people playing FFXIV.

Don't get me wrong, this game is a disaster. But Steam stats for MMOs that don't require steam are all but meaningless.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Veotax posted:

That's just Steam, it doesn't show how many people are playing it through Arc.

Pretty sure there are more than 11 thousand people playing FFXIV.

Don't get me wrong, this game is a disaster. But Steam stats for MMOs that don't require steam are all but meaningless.

Eh, I dunno, they're a statistically significant number, the trends are probably accurate even if the whole numbers are meaningless.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ah, I wasn't even paying attention to the data so I didn't see the massive drop-off in May. I just saw it was a Steam chart and didn't bother looking.

Yeah, those are some bad trends.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

To me it looks like its hitting roughly the same numbers as the same time last year. Not that those numbers are chart burners, but it doesn't look like doom.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Da Mott Man posted:

To me it looks like its hitting roughly the same numbers as the same time last year. Not that those numbers are chart burners, but it doesn't look like doom.

Ya, Also, during the early months of 2015, steam charts showed higher players than during the same months in 2014. That's not just post DR, it's also after all the nerfs to xp and stuff.

That steam chart shows this July having had more players than last July, June being almost the same, may having like 10% less, and April having almost 20% more.

Also in game, I find my friend list is pretty well populated, it hasn't become harder to sell items, and the chat channels are still lively.

Also a steady stream of people winning box ships and stuff.

Looking at the stf queues, it's hard to say just from that data point. The queues could be empty because many fewer people play the game, or could look empty because people don't do the queues because they suck, and the people have already filled those reps, or get rep marks from somewhere else, or people could just be doing them privately.

The dps channels are a thing that came after DR, and people there just strictly do private STFs.

The only times I do STFs are with goons, and that doesn't show up in the queues. I don't do them because I need marks anymore either, they're sort of fun kinda / don't mind helping people who do need marks / just something to do.

I never considered sto a good game, it's just a casual game with weird people to rile up and it's Star Trek. It's still all that poo poo.

I think as long as trek fans want to play a trek mmo, and sto is the only trek mmo, they have a pretty reliable customer base, no matter how bad they are as video game developers.

There hasn't been a popular star trek show in what, a decade? As far as I can tell it's not mostly kids on sto, it's nerds with jobs and money, and nostalgia.

For all the people who sperg out and min max the mechanics I still run into plenty of people who have played the game for years, buy zen to get keys and new ships and stuff, and don't seem to know or care that they run asinine builds / bumble gently caress their way through everything. Maybe they just think sto is a challenging space adventure, and are cool with that.

One dude I met a couple weeks ago had just dumped another 100 bucks on keys, had played the game for 2 years, and didn't have the ec cap increase or know what contraband was, and used mk12 weapons, and was just tickled pink when he managed to get the krenim ship, and kept inviting me to the bridge and spamming TEMPORAL INCURSION DETECTED at me.

Another guy used to sell me 100 keys a week for like 20% below the exchange rate so he didn't have to 'wait for them to sell' on the exchange, and because he was afraid the exchange would eat his items.

I saw some people a while ago who were perplexed anyone ran the game through "bloat ware" like steam, when they could just use arc and not have to make a steam account.

A couple months ago I saw a guy who had spent the past six months slowly harvesting enough R&Dmats to craft himself a set of mk12 AP beams and upgrade them to mk14. He had never bought or sold an item on the exchange in the years he had played sto, and wasn't about to start.

I am willing to bet sto has a silent majority.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 1, 2015

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

hakimashou posted:

Ya, Also, during the early months of 2015, steam charts showed higher players than during the same months in 2014. That's not just post DR, it's also after all the nerfs to xp and stuff.

That steam chart shows this July having had more players than last July, June being almost the same, may having like 10% less, and April having almost 20% more.

Also in game, I find my friend list is pretty well populated, it hasn't become harder to sell items, and the chat channels are still lively.

Also a steady stream of people winning box ships and stuff.

Looking at the stf queues, it's hard to say just from that data point. The queues could be empty because many fewer people play the game, or could look empty because people don't do the queues because they suck, and the people have already filled those reps, or get rep marks from somewhere else, or people could just be doing them privately.

The dps channels are a thing that came after DR, and people there just strictly do private STFs.

The only times I do STFs are with goons, and that doesn't show up in the queues. I don't do them because I need marks anymore either, they're sort of fun kinda / don't mind helping people who do need marks / just something to do.

I never considered sto a good game, it's just a casual game with weird people to rile up and it's Star Trek. It's still all that poo poo.

I think as long as trek fans want to play a trek mmo, and sto is the only trek mmo, they have a pretty reliable customer base, no matter how bad they are as video game developers.

There hasn't been a popular star trek show in what, a decade? As far as I can tell it's not mostly kids on sto, it's nerds with jobs and money, and nostalgia.

For all the people who sperg out and min max the mechanics I still run into plenty of people who have played the game for years, buy zen to get keys and new ships and stuff, and don't seem to know or care that they run asinine builds / bumble gently caress their way through everything. Maybe they just think sto is a challenging space adventure, and are cool with that.

One dude I met a couple weeks ago had just dumped another 100 bucks on keys, had played the game for 2 years, and didn't have the ec cap increase or know what contraband was, and used mk12 weapons, and was just tickled pink when he managed to get the krenim ship, and kept inviting me to the bridge and spamming TEMPORAL INCURSION DETECTED at me.

Another guy used to sell me 100 keys a week for like 20% below the exchange rate so he didn't have to 'wait for them to sell' on the exchange, and because he was afraid the exchange would eat his items.

I saw some people a while ago who were perplexed anyone ran the game through "bloat ware" like steam, when they could just use arc and not have to make a steam account.

A couple months ago I saw a guy who had spent the past six months slowly harvesting enough R&Dmats to craft himself a set of mk12 AP beams and upgrade them to mk14. He had never bought or sold an item on the exchange in the years he had played sto, and wasn't about to start.

This is too well reasoned for a goon. You're Cryptic's inside man, aren't you?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

XBenedict posted:

This is too well reasoned for a goon. You're Cryptic's inside man, aren't you?

gently caress you say about me?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Could it genuinely be that there is enough of a well of stupidity, ignorance, nostalgia and what are no doubt too many mental instabilities to list to sustain STO perpetually?

I guess there are some ideas more depressing than the eventual heat death of the universe

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
heh. I still don't use steam or arc to start the launcher

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I don't like elitism in MMOs but they could really use some level of gear check on advanced queues. I'm seeing people well under 5k DPS.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

This is why adding failure conditions to all of them was a disaster, yes. Instead of teaching people how to play they just failed a few times and stopped queuing.

Although honestly getting decent DPS is more about having the right skills and the right sort of equipment rather than the quality thereof.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Yeah, you can be geared out in nothing but epic everything. If you don't use any skills, you'll do about 8k DPS. Just ask AotC.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

hakimashou posted:

tl;dr

And we are the moral majority.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can I get an invite to chat? CheeseTriangles@cheese_the_third

Nevermind apparently I am already in?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Asimo posted:

This is why adding failure conditions to all of them was a disaster, yes. Instead of teaching people how to play they just failed a few times and stopped queuing.

Although honestly getting decent DPS is more about having the right skills and the right sort of equipment rather than the quality thereof.

I should probably check to see if you can still get by with Mk11 blue or green. But that'd be effort.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
Because I hate myself and clearly have a touch of the autist in me, I went out of my way to make a painfully accurate and detailed replica of canon WoK uniforms.

https://wiki.wesleyguide.com/goon_guides/wok_guide

Here's a guide to it if anyone else wants to go full on sperg.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Da Mott Man posted:

The numbers that look worrying aren't actually the ones that came out in the post-DR-expansion (surprisingly), but rather the very end of the graph in the past few months, where it seems like it's dropped a third of its playercount. It's not deadly to the game but it's a worrying downhill.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The summers tend to see a big drop in general even despite the promo event. Which is why they do the promo event really. Once people have the ship it drops dramatically since there's nothing else to do... can see that last July was even worse than the current numbers. The real problem is, yeah, the overall trend is clearly a slow downward slope after delta rising, even if it's sometimes gradual. Before that there would be ups and downs depending on the patch cycle but the playerbase was roughly steady. It's not an apocalyptic doom and gloom quite yet, but that'd definitely the data that would encourage a rapid reshuffling of priorities and design goals in a company that had competent staff and wasn't shackled to chinese overlords.

Also, entirely unrelated: those of you with a Tuffli, grab it out of storage. At some point it seems to have gotten buffed/bugged with an insanely high turn rate; with three generic RCS consoles and the usual traits/specs my had a base turn rate of 85 degrees. But it still has the inertia of a pile of bricks, so you can actually fly around spinning in circles while going straight forward. :raise:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Goat Pillager posted:

Because I hate myself and clearly have a touch of the autist in me, I went out of my way to make a painfully accurate and detailed replica of canon WoK uniforms.

Looking good. :sparkles:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
So Aleth and I did a thing and made two pubbies completely lose their poo poo.

http://pastebin.com/sfrx5iBQ

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Morglon posted:

:golfclap: A masterwork. Even if I did have to use the history feature on the wiki to see what all the fuss was about. I'm not going to read any of it, but it seems to have done the trick.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Goat Pillager posted:

WoK uniforms are great, but the current version of the page is just magical.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Morglon posted:

Clever girl.

Edit: Why the gently caress did this pubbie call Xean great?

BombermanX fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 2, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
What is this?

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1198472/paris-a-sto-user-should-be-ban

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Jesus loving Christ... 32 years old?

e: Holy gently caress that guys profile picture on the forums - judging by the post, truly a face only a mother could love.

e2: What is this Star Trek Alien Domain advert that keeps popping up on SA?

e3: Never mind, looks poo poo. Also, some of their ship designs look incredibly similar to Craptic designs from STO. Does CBS actually own those ship designs?

DarkMalfunction fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

DarkMalfunction posted:

Jesus loving Christ... 32 years old?

e: Holy gently caress that guys profile picture on the forums - judging by the post, truly a face only a mother could love.

e2: What is this Star Trek Alien Domain advert that keeps popping up on SA? e3: never mind, looks poo poo.

How come no one has invited him into our academy?

• Locked thread