Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

Can I reference my past post about his published book?

You could but it wouldn't change my mind. I mean, Bob can be extremely stupid and pathetic, but it's self-contained. He doesn't start harassment campaigns against co-workers, he doesn't commit fraud with an indiegogo campaign, and he doesn't make people work for him for "exposure." He's cringeworthy but as long as he doesn't hurt anyone else I can't really dislike him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Alacron posted:

Well I'm happy for him, Bob isn't offensive enough to me that I'd begrudge him some good fortune.

I'm guessing the piece will be about web critics in general, with Bob as a case study, which might be interesting. But if that's the case I can't help but feel that a current or former Channel Awesome contributor would've been a better choice of subject. Whatever. Speculation over.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 1, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Annointed posted:

As someone who is immune to ishtar, that to me is like putting a fly trap over a maggot infested garbage bin.

Dammit, foiled again.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DStecks posted:

Man of Steel sucked, HBomberguy can suck my dick. What a joyless, pointless, aimless waste of my loving time. You know a movie's good when +50% of the dialogue is other people philosophizing about Superman, but by the end of the film I have no idea what Superman actually believes in or stands for. Like, I can't even say that killing Zod and all those implied civilians is out of character for him, because he never gets to assert his character. Clark Kent has no arc, he just is Superman and everybody spends the whole movie talking about "Wow, a Superman" or "Oh no, a Superman".

It's like Zack Snyder watched The Dark Knight and didn't get that when the characters were philosophizing about Batman, they were really talking about the War on Terror, and the accountability of authority in general; because in Man of Steel everyone is just philosophizing about Superman, in a way that has no value to a world without a Superman, i.e. the world which we inhabit.

I always thought Man of Steel is what you get when you try to copy Batman Begins for a Superman movie, but then remember you are Hack Snyder and have no talent.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Dunno about you but I am SO looking forward to this discussion about SvB:DoJ.

It's gonna be so much fun. Even typing SvB:DoJ is fun. Try it!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

KayTee posted:

Dunno about you but I am SO looking forward to this discussion about SvB:DoJ.

It's gonna be so much fun. Even typing SvB:DoJ is fun. Try it!

I'm looking forward to the reviews of it especially Brad's midnight screening

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Does the rifftrax crew do " documentries " ?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

:laffo:

The site's FAQ, word-for-word:

We support the equal rights for women in all industries.
We are against online harassment of all types.
We are for ethics and transparency in journalism.
Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,

Can we please talk about this instead of Man of Steel for 5,000,000th time? Though it may be harder to come up jokes that can top the brilliance of "Hack Snyder".

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Time to dunk my head in cheap vodka, crush up mint candy to use as pretend-coke and watch this thing

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Holy poo poo. They still have backers.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 1, 2015

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Interesting movie. I give it two out of five Lorem Ipsums.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The kind of people who would back them in the first place won't be shaken off by anything short of a public statement that Sarkeesian was right about everything.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Many people, when presented with evidence that they have wasted time, effort, and money on a worldview that is foolish, will double down and renew their devotion with greater fervor. This is easier and more comfortable than accepting that they an their friends have made a completely ridiculous, stupid decision and devoted their lives to lies. It's really hard to be superior when you done hosed up.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DStecks posted:

Man of Steel sucked, HBomberguy can suck my dick. What a joyless, pointless, aimless waste of my loving time. You know a movie's good when +50% of the dialogue is other people philosophizing about Superman, but by the end of the film I have no idea what Superman actually believes in or stands for. Like, I can't even say that killing Zod and all those implied civilians is out of character for him, because he never gets to assert his character. Clark Kent has no arc, he just is Superman and everybody spends the whole movie talking about "Wow, a Superman" or "Oh no, a Superman".

It's like Zack Snyder watched The Dark Knight and didn't get that when the characters were philosophizing about Batman, they were really talking about the War on Terror, and the accountability of authority in general; because in Man of Steel everyone is just philosophizing about Superman, in a way that has no value to a world without a Superman, i.e. the world which we inhabit.
Didn't David S. Goyer work on Man of Steel too, though?

\/\/\/\/ EDIT: Yeah, and that's what I thought was part of the problem with the film. It was trying to mimic Nolan's Batman films by doing a similar visual style and bringing on the same screenwriter. I know this has probably been said a billion times before, but that dark tone doesn't really fit Superman.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 1, 2015

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Max Wilco posted:

Didn't David S. Goyer work on Man of Steel too, though?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0333060/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
On the SVU chat, was their video game episode better or worse than the CSI video game episode? In the CSI one they had silly masks and somehow had a group psychological break with reality so they all thought they were really playing a GTA style game.

Jack Gladney posted:

Don't forget the one where Mikhail from Lost is smuggling rare animals and the whole team passes around a basketball with a gibbon hidden inside to keep it away from him like they're the Globetrotters.

What the gently caress? That poor gibbon. Munch at least should have realized that the laws of motion effect both the inside and the outside of the basketball.

boom boom boom posted:

I just don't see what Mr. Plinkett loving his cat has to do with Superman letting thousands of people die.

Clark Kent lets 1 person die and Superman kills 1 alien. Unless we're going to start laying all the deaths in New York on the Avengers.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Gyges posted:

On the SVU chat, was their video game episode better or worse than the CSI video game episode? In the CSI one they had silly masks and somehow had a group psychological break with reality so they all thought they were really playing a GTA style game.

If that's the same episode of CSI I'm thinking of, it's the one where it turns out that the game developer conspired with said group to rob a bank or something along those lines. I don't know if that makes it better or worse, though, but I remember it was pretty ludicrous.

There was an episode of CSI: NY that focused on Second Life. I've seen a couple of clips of it and it's pretty hilarious.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

"Hack Snyder" is a loving stupid nickname anyway, because a hack is a person who uses lazy tricks to skirt by on the minimum effort, and Zack Snyder always throws the whole of his creative weight behind ideas he doesn't have the competence to execute.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DStecks posted:

"Hack Snyder" is a loving stupid nickname anyway, because a hack is a person who uses lazy tricks to skirt by on the minimum effort, and Zack Snyder always throws the whole of his creative weight behind ideas he doesn't have the competence to execute.

Sounds like Adam Sandler needs a nickname. :boom:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

What the gently caress? That poor gibbon. Munch at least should have realized that the laws of motion effect both the inside and the outside of the basketball.

Clark Kent lets 1 person die and Superman kills 1 alien. Unless we're going to start laying all the deaths in New York on the Avengers.

using the final battle in both avenger films is what most defenders of MOS use all he time. angry joe was using that with avengers 2 trailer when it showed bits of the final battle or the hulk fight.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What have I wrought

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

I think the SVU one has Ice-T's character refer to a video game as "magical rape land" so there's that.

There was one episode of SVU where a paedophile boasts to the detectives, "Our numbers are growing while yours are shrinking!"

tenshianna
Oct 31, 2012

Good site. There's quite a lot of good information about the origins of Lorem ipsum scattered liberally throughout. I never knew it had such a history.

Also, check the google doc list of theatres showing the movie. http://www.sarkeesianeffect.com/where-to-watch-it.html :allears:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If you want a recent cop show that's more infuriating than crazy, check out Blue Bloods starring Tom Shelick.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cyron posted:

using the final battle in both avenger films is what most defenders of MOS use all he time. angry joe was using that with avengers 2 trailer when it showed bits of the final battle or the hulk fight.

Because they're analogous? If you blame the Avengers for the damage to the cities they're in, then it's perfectly fine to blame Superman in MOS. If you blame one but not the other, the question is what is the difference. If superheroes are the ones responsible for the damage resulting from them saving the Earth, that's fine. Just be consistent and make the argument that their good deeds in saving billions while tarnished by the thousands lost in the attempt don't make them mass murderers.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

If you want a recent cop show that's more infuriating than crazy, check out Blue Bloods starring Tom Shelick.

I realize that this is the official thread of people who seek out terrible experiences for the fun of it, but why would I want to watch a TV show on the recommendation that it will infuriate me?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gyges posted:

I think the final action sequence in Avengers 2 works as a direct response to the Metropolis fight in Man of Steel. The Avengers spend most of the time saving people. they save individual people, they risk their lives to save random bystanders. A lot of the tension in the fight comes from whether or not the SHIELD ships will get there in time, and whether or not the Avengers will get everyone on board in time. You actually get the impression that everybody lived, because the superheros save the day. I'm sure, that if we think about that situations as if it was a totally realistic event, a bunch of people would've gotten their head smashed in by falling masonry and some surgeries got interrupted by the power going out and yada yada yada. But the movie presents what happened as, "bad guy tried to kill a lot of people, superheroes stopped the bad guy and saved everyone" In Man of Steel you don't see Superman try to save anyone. He just fights with other Superman for an hour, causing ten 9/11s in the process.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't think the situations were the same. Fighting fodder as a team is different than fighting someone superior by yourself. I highly recommend this thread since they still have this same circular discussion in it every now and then, two years after the film was released.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Isn't batguy vs superman about how people don't trust superman because of all the casualties when he was fighting zod?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
I love that this derailed into lovely crime show plots. Like legitimately this is making me laugh out loud.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Miss Wallace posted:

I love that this derailed into lovely crime show plots. Like legitimately this is making me laugh out loud.

CSI:Cyber is hilarious. It's every bad technojargon trope and buzzword you can think of said straight-faced. And has James Van Der Beek.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

CSI:Cyber is hilarious. It's every bad technojargon trope and buzzword you can think of said straight-faced. And has James Van Der Beek.

Oh my god that's real? I saw a comic about it and thought it was a joke. :aaaaa:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

prahanormal posted:

Isn't batguy vs superman about how people don't trust superman because of all the casualties when he was fighting zod?

Yes, some people will see him as a savior and some people will blame him for the Kryptonian invasion. Batman gonna Batman and we will get Dayman vs Nightman. The waitress still won't go out with Charlie though.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They actually made a CSI:Cyber? Fuuuuuuuuck.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Who the gently caress let that go through without it being called CSYber???

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This gives me life.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

prahanormal posted:

It's pretty hilarious because it means that Kevin Costner was absolutely right the entire time. Superman lives thirty years in obscurity, using his powers only ever to save people's lives, and then saves the planet from annihilation, and everyone is like "BUT CAN WE TRUST HIM THOUGH?"

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
My mom watches CSI:Cyber. That should give you an idea of who the target audience is.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Violet_Sky posted:

My mom watches CSI:Cyber. That should give you an idea of who the target audience is.

well that tells me nothing because I don't visit your mother for her conversational skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
A savior being met with skepticism? Rolling on the floor laughing at the mere thought

• Locked thread