Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Hahaha, trump is incredible. He is calling out all the bullshit while simultaneously embodying all the bullshit. He is a bullshit elemental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Trump/Biden 2016

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The media on Clinton Foundation donors: it is important that we report about this, since these donors might have influenced Hillary in some way!!!

The media on the mysterious right-wing billionaires who are directly funding and influencing Republican candidates: Whatevs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Rumour has it Gallagher is going to be Trump's running mate if Trump wins the Republican primaries.

Gallagher walks onto the stage after Trump does his mind bogglingly rants and goes "This watermelon is the debt" *smash* "We're going to break open the free market" *smashes another watermelon* "This is taxes" *smashes another watermelon*

Vote Vermin Supreme

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

That's a pretty brilliant tactic on the Donald to attack candidates that way, not going to lie.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Trump/Biden 2016

Has a sitting President or sitting VP ever changed political affiliations while in office?

That would be kind of wild.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rocks posted:

That's a pretty brilliant tactic on the Donald to attack candidates that way, not going to lie.

It's kind of a no-brainer, honestly - of course the self-funded candidate is going to attack the other candidates for relying on wealthy donors.

On the plus side, maybe Trump's comments will actually spur the media to actually start covering this stuff and ahahahahaha

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

EugeneJ posted:

Has a sitting President or sitting VP ever changed political affiliations while in office?

Lincoln, technically.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

John Tyler was the only President or Vice President to ever leave his party while in office. He was elected as a Whig Vice President, rose to the Presidency after the death of William Henry Harrison, and then pretty soon expelled from the Whig party when he rejected much of the Whig platform (also a lot of people were mad at him for claiming to have the title of official President at all, as opposed to Vice-President-Acting-as-President or something like that). It was part of the general and unpopular mess that was his Presidency.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I'm imagining a world where Trump steamrolls the rest of the GOP field during the debates while simultaneously turning the repeal of Citizen's United into a bipartisan issue.

https://youtu.be/E2VCwBzGdPM?t=21s

Edit: Just came across a listing of David Koch's platform from his 1980 VP run which included all the usual libertarian crap about eating the poor, killing Grandma, and keeping children from learning to read - but "Abolish the FAA" was important enough to get a mention too. Okay I get "Abolish the EPA, DoE, FCC, FDA" but I'm surprised the FAA doesn't fly under the radar.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 2, 2015

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I hope he beats the poo poo out of everyone else at the debate next week.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DaveWoo posted:

The media on Clinton Foundation donors: it is important that we report about this, since these donors might have influenced Hillary in some way!!!

The media on the mysterious right-wing billionaires who are directly funding and influencing Republican candidates: Whatevs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They won't give us access if we don't obey their terms! Don't you want us to cover the story?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Leathal posted:

I'm imagining a world where Trump steamrolls the rest of the GOP field during the debates while simultaneously turning the repeal of Citizen's United into a bipartisan issue.

https://youtu.be/E2VCwBzGdPM?t=21s

Wait.
Wait.

Do you mean to say Trump has actually come out in opposition to Citizen's United? :stonk:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Equine Don posted:

Oh, don't you worry!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm curious how the debate will handle the insults Trump throws at the other candidates and the resulting rush of demands to respond. Ten people is a lot to manage even without someone throwing bombs everywhere.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Equine Don posted:

This, except literally.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Chris Christie posted:

So Bush gave an interview in Spanish for Telemundo and apparently actually had the balls to clearly state his border/illegal immigrant stance for the Latino audience, which I agree with, sans fine. English proficiency and no benefits for illegal entrants to gain legal status is good enough for me.

Maybe I should pump the brakes on diving down into the Trump rabbit hole. Or maybe I should credit him with influencing others to be blunt and pull no punches.

"'To arrive here legally has to be easier than to arrive here illegally,' said Bush. Like other Republicans, he wants to see U.S. borders secured BEFORE allowing the country's estimated 11 million immigrants in the U.S. illegally to obtain legal status. 'I know we can do it,' he said.

Bush said immigrants in the country illegally would have to pay 'a small fine' and learn English to remain in the country as legal residents, and would not be eligible for government benefits."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150801/us-gop-2016-bush-telemundo-0745177e08.html

How is this different than the Democratic position (except the 'learn English' part, which I'm not entirely sure is legal)? The daylight between Democrats and sane Republicans on this issue is mostly as to whether to offer a path to citizenship, which is not addressed in that article.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm curious how the debate will handle the insults Trump throws at the other candidates and the resulting rush of demands to respond. Ten people is a lot to manage even without someone throwing bombs everywhere.

Trump has said he's going to be respectful and calm for the debates, and frankly, that's a great move for him because everyone will be rushing to establish their "dominance" by firing barbs at Trump. If he keeps his composure and looks like the bigger man then he's going to come out with a massive boost from the debate.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
That really is a great Trump tactic. He's going to be able to hammer all of the other candidates on their funding/contributions for the entire campaign cycle.

I'm predicting he will directly challenge whichever chump looks at him funny in the debate: "What did you promise the Koch brothers in exchange for their money?" Republican voters (and all voters) will eat that poo poo up in a debate format.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EugeneJ posted:

What the gently caress are "Biden values"

They're like Eigenvalues, but with less linear transformation and more Amtrak.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

They're like Eigenvalues, but with less linear transformation and more Amtrak.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

PrBacterio posted:

Wait.
Wait.

Do you mean to say Trump has actually come out in opposition to Citizen's United? :stonk:

Not explicitly but he's been making a lot of waves attacking the other GOP candidates for being bought and paid for by big donors. He also has said more general stuff about there being too much money in politics and comparing it to bribery. In the past 12 hours alone his Twitter has 3-4 mentions of it.

He apparently doesn't need to have actual policy plans yet so this is probably as close as it gets to him being against CU for now. But his current rhetoric is definitely way outside the GOP establishment's comfort zone; I'm sure if he sees a benefit to explicitly going anti-CU he probably gives no fucks about crossing that line.

The big Koch fundraiser in CA he was tweeting about this morning is hilariously shady (the establishment GOP candidates were all present to kiss the rings and select journalists were only allowed to attend on the condition that they not report on the donors at all) so let's hope he brings it up during the debate. Somehow I don't think Walker parroting some pre-digested line about money=free speech is going to go over all that well in response. "I can tell you where all my campaign money comes from, Scott. I can tell the American people right now." *points two thumbs at self*

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Rick Perry's glasses might actually be making him smarter. It's looking like a good idea to do so poorly that you end up in the kiddie debate instead of getting devoured on live TV by Trump.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
CNN asks "What would a Donald Trump administration look like?"

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/02/politics/donald-trump-2016-presidential-election/index.html

A pretty good compilation of the things that have Republican strategists and advocacy groups concerned. Trump leaves behind a trail of reversed previous positions and vague current positions.

For example:

quote:

But now, he is vowing to "repeal (Obamacare) and replace with something terrific," explaining that "the answer is going to be we have to knock down the borders and let people compete."

He also said he wants "to try to help" lower-income people who get sick, describing a vague system that sounds similar to Medicaid. Lewandowski declined to explain Trump's proposal or how it would be different from Medicaid.

Valid things to bring up by CNN. But while conservative serious intellectuals scorn Trump for his policy vagueness, I wonder how many of Trump's base of supporters care.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Brannock posted:

Trump has said he's going to be respectful and calm for the debates, and frankly, that's a great move for him because everyone will be rushing to establish their "dominance" by firing barbs at Trump. If he keeps his composure and looks like the bigger man then he's going to come out with a massive boost from the debate.

Pretty big "if," there. I know much of what he does is a calculated act, but deep down the man really is a ignorant blowhard with paper-thin skin, I don't know that he'll be able to resist firing back sneering "I'm so much richer than you losers go gently caress yourselves," or something similar. Not that the base would eat that up, mind, but it does continue to cement his larger image as, well, what I just described above.

With regards to Biden entering the race, I should remind everyone of a huge obstacle: the Secret Service won't let him drive his corvette even now, you think they're going to let up if he got to the top office?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Pretty big "if," there. I know much of what he does is a calculated act, but deep down the man really is a ignorant blowhard with paper-thin skin, I don't know that he'll be able to resist firing back sneering "I'm so much richer than you losers go gently caress yourselves," or something similar. Not that the base would eat that up, mind, but it does continue to cement his larger image as, well, what I just described above.

With regards to Biden entering the race, I should remind everyone of a huge obstacle: the Secret Service won't let him drive his corvette even now, you think they're going to let up if he got to the top office?

He'll just get a corvette converted into a presidential limo.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mirthless posted:

For some reason I am still holding out hope that someday we will collectively accept that Reagan was a monster and pictures like this will be a relic of the terrible times our country went through in the leadup and transition to the 21st century.

Reagan a monster? Aw shucks~

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

William Bear posted:

Valid things to bring up by CNN. But while conservative serious intellectuals scorn Trump for his policy vagueness, I wonder how many of Trump's base of supporters care.

I don't care. It's a plus for me. Despite being painted as extreme, he's one of the more centrist candidates running. He's being vague because he doesn't ascribe to the Ron Paul "LET THEM DIE" school of thought on healthcare for the indigent, which still has decent traction in the GOP base.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also it's cool that Biden obviously knows his automobiles as evidenced by his superior taste, driving the world's greatest sports car, made right here in America, and not some faggy German or Japanese import. Or overrated Italian sports car like Ferrari, whose factory team got bitch-slapped in GTS racing by the GM factory C5R program.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, this is a smart move on Trump's part.

Incidentally, if you were wondering just who these ultra-wealthy Republican donors attending this Koch summit are... well, too bad, they've forbidden the media from telling you their names.

How loving chickenshit do you have to be to be afraid of the public knowing your name when you are literally untouchable by the common person. Piece of poo poo cowards.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How loving chickenshit do you have to be to be afraid of the public knowing your name when you are literally untouchable by the common person. Piece of poo poo cowards.
I'd be willing to wager that some donors there have carefully cultivated a public persona of being either apolitical or even possibly liberal-friendly, and having their names associated with donation to the GOP could potentially harm their brand.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I'd be willing to wager that some donors there have carefully cultivated a public persona of being either apolitical or even possibly liberal-friendly, and having their names associated with donation to the GOP could potentially harm their brand.

Then they shouldn't be doing it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

JT Jag posted:

Gotta be this. Look what happens when companies like Chik-fil-a or Target are shown to take unpopular political or social positions.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Chris Christie posted:

I don't care. It's a plus for me. Despite being painted as extreme, he's one of the more centrist candidates running. He's being vague because he doesn't ascribe to the Ron Paul "LET THEM DIE" school of thought on healthcare for the indigent, which still has decent traction in the GOP base.

Thanks for offering the Republican perspective in this thread. It's appreciated.

Since we're talking about health care policy, what do you want to hear from candidates about it? Just Trump's vague status quo support?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Then they shouldn't be doing it.

Oh word?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Gotta be this. Look what happens when companies like Chik-fil-a are shown to take unpopular political or social positions.

Lines out the door at every Chik-Fil-A location in the country?

From Wikipedia:
Sales soared following the controversy. Sales increased "12 percent, to $4.6 billion, in 2012. The good fortune follows several years of impressive expansion and strong sales, which have pushed the privately held company's valuation north of $4.5 billion, making billionaires out of its founders ... These latest sales data are just further proof that all that negative coverage didn't hurt demand for chicken sandwiches among Chick-fil-A's core consumers."

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

William Bear posted:

CNN asks "What would a Donald Trump administration look like?"

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/02/politics/donald-trump-2016-presidential-election/index.html

A pretty good compilation of the things that have Republican strategists and advocacy groups concerned. Trump leaves behind a trail of reversed previous positions and vague current positions.

For example:

Name two.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

blue squares posted:

Lines out the door at every Chik-Fil-A location in the country?

From Wikipedia:
Sales soared following the controversy. Sales increased "12 percent, to $4.6 billion, in 2012. The good fortune follows several years of impressive expansion and strong sales, which have pushed the privately held company's valuation north of $4.5 billion, making billionaires out of its founders ... These latest sales data are just further proof that all that negative coverage didn't hurt demand for chicken sandwiches among Chick-fil-A's core consumers."

Bad example, but you get the idea. These donors don't want disclosure if it might potentially harm their brand or hurt profits.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

bpower posted:

Name two.

Bill Kristol and Charles Krauthammer :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

William Bear posted:

Thanks for offering the Republican perspective in this thread. It's appreciated.

Since we're talking about health care policy, what do you want to hear from candidates about it? Just Trump's vague status quo support?

What I want to hear doesn't matter since I'll never hear it, but my personal preference would be:

1. Eliminate Medicaid and simply use ONE program - Medicare.

2. Open up Medicare as a choice to non-retirees on an income-based pricing model, similar to the current federal student loan repayment plans (i.e. what you pay = some % of your income above the poverty line). This takes care of those medicaid patients, as anyone whose income was at or below poverty line would have a $0 payment for medicare.

3. Require Medicare to run in the black, with the income-based formula being adjusted as often as every single year if necessary based on the prior years' expenses and funding (i.e. prevent private insurance from being destroyed via Medicare being artificially underpriced via running massive deficits). Write the law so that this provision is not severable, i.e. Democrats would never be able to destroy the private insurance industry by waiting until they once again hold the presidency and both houses at the same time, and then altering the law to allow the program to run in the red and severely undercharge payings customers. Also cap Medicare payroll taxes at the current rate, so shortfalls MUST be addressed with the pricing formula for non-retirees. Also, means test retirees and have wealthy ones also pay for their medicare.

4. Also include an unseverable provision providing complete choice for providers as well - keep it perfectly legal to operate private practices/hospitals that only accept private payers. And keep it perfectly legal for private payers to negotiate preferential treatment with providers that do accept public patients for the premium prices they pay. i.e. prevent Democrats from forcing everyone to participate equally in mediocrity.

• Locked thread