Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This is on the disc, a thing that room never does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

That concept art always reminds me of Leiji Matsumoto. Specifically Captain Harlock.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The best part is that you can rename Freya as Helga or Ratchel and she doesn't blink an eye afterwards.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Cid's giant crescent moon moustache is pretty great. And on a similar note, the barkeeps moustache-twirling animation is a cute little touch.

Mega64 posted:

Hmmm... Looks like there's no place to insert the medal.

This is a Resident Evil reference but man if it didn't throw me off when I played it way back when. Kept thinking there was some puzzle I missed there.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Shinarato posted:

You say that, but the earthbound thread used to exist.

Look at this lame-rear end over here making fun of :sugartits: and :ducksiren:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Mega64 posted:

You forgot my name?
No, I remember. You're Helga, right?
Wrong.
...Christine?
No!
...Oh yeah!

Man, you've really gotten...big.
You nasty little-

:allears: It's like every update has a moment that serves as a reminder that this game has the best-written dialogue in the entire series.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I felt inspired and it was easy so here's an avatar of the barkeep.

And while making that I remembered I made this awhile back but forgot to actually post it so

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

zfleeman posted:

Oh, cool. Nice to see Vivi's plot get wrapped up so early in the game.

You -wish- it got wrapped up this early in the game. Ohhhh we got some fuuuun times ahead of us.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Freya's entrance is a nice compliment to Zidane since she's a friend of his that isn't in Tantalus and is both competent and doesn't take his poo poo.

Also she's a neat character in her own right and has an interesting set of skills.

I'll be honest here, I love Freya in the game and how she's portrayed, always imagined her with one of those deep(er) womanly voices. And her Moveset, while not the greatest, does include a lot of utility and one of those ever so wonderfully broken fixed damage attacks (which is arguably the easiest to max out)

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I really love the designs of all the animal people. Too bad you couldn't see half of the effort made on them on the PS1.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Winklebottom posted:

I really love the designs of all the animal people. Too bad you couldn't see half of the effort made on them on the PS1.

This. There were human characters I thought were roosters until I emulated the game. It's a shame since the textures are pretty drat detailed but it's hard to see thanks to how compressed they are and then stretched onto ps1 models.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Freya was one of my favorite characters.

It's a shame the plot basically forgets she exists after a certain point. :sigh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Endorph posted:

Also, minor gameplay spoilers, but am I the only one who was totally convinced she was a red mage?

I'm pretty sure that at some point in development, they wanted her to be a red mage, and then they changed their mind and decided that dragoons were more iconic.

Dastardly posted:

That concept art always reminds me of Leiji Matsumoto. Specifically Captain Harlock.

It's the hair.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Mega64 posted:

Hmmm... Looks like there's no place to insert the medal.

I've always been under the impression that this is a Resident Evil 2 reference, as that game required you to insert a medal into a similarly-themed statue. Was that ever confirmed or refuted? It seems like an odd thing to reference in an FF game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kanfy posted:

Cid's giant crescent moon moustache is pretty great. And on a similar note, the barkeeps moustache-twirling animation is a cute little touch.

I noticed that too. The first thing I thought: Well that's not very sanitary.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That's my fourth. Freya is a great utility player. She can serve the anchor role of doing whatever you might need that you aren't getting from Zidane/Vivi/Garnet. The remaining playable characters were all a waste of space at this point.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Oglop Cid is best Cid.

As for Freya, she's definitely a solid character that plays something of a physical Red Mage role for the party doing damage with some support utility, so rather than White/Black, she's more Physical/White as a counterpoint to Steiner!Vivi's Physical/Black. This early in the game is really where she shines the most though.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

SonicRulez posted:

That's my fourth. Freya is a great utility player. She can serve the anchor role of doing whatever you might need that you aren't getting from Zidane/Vivi/Garnet. The remaining playable characters were all a waste of space at this point.

There are going to be a ton of different compositions of favorite teams and such when we get there and many are going to be radically different from one another. I don't use Vivi/Garnet/Freya in my preferred party, and am really excited to hear people's different opinions on group comps.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Krumbsthumbs posted:

There are going to be a ton of different compositions of favorite teams and such when we get there and many are going to be radically different from one another. I don't use Vivi/Garnet/Freya in my preferred party, and am really excited to hear people's different opinions on group comps.

I'm similar to you in this regard, though I do sub Vivi and/or Steiner on occasion depending on the fight. Garnet and Freya do not make the cut, however.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I will be taking notes on how to structure my party. I only ever used Zidane/Garnet/Vivi/Steiner. I feel like I missed out as a kid.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think the times I played my team was mainly Zidane/Dagger/Vivi/Steiner, with Dagger sometimes replaced by Eiko, but for this LP I'm looking forward to trying and showing off everyone, if only to actually give characters like Freya and Amarant a chance.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Mega64 posted:

I think the times I played my team was mainly Zidane/Dagger/Vivi/Steiner, with Dagger sometimes replaced by Eiko, but for this LP I'm looking forward to trying and showing off everyone, if only to actually give characters like Freya and Amarant a chance.

Amarant is actually fantastic if you're willing to provide some TLC/AP grind a bit. The character has a very diverse skillset and Throw is awesome. If you're willing to spend a couple hours grinding Marcus to ~30 in Fossil Roo with the Blood Sword with Steiner/Dagger KO'd then you can give Eiko a boost to make her more useful when you get her. You could use a turbo controller to get him to 99 so his stat bonuses carry over to Eiko, but I generally call it quits after 2 hours when Marcus is at like level 27 and consider that enough of a boost.

The issue I have with Dagger is that her usefulness sharply falls off in Disc 3 because of her "broken concentration", which means in the interim, Eiko has become superior

Edit: Mega, do you mind if I chime in with Trivia posts on occasion to point out references to older FFs, translation goofs, etc.?

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 2, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I really like Amarant, though I'm one of the few that does. That said, in battle he's a solid physical character, he has a skill that restores MP to any character (who needs Ethers anymore?), and another one that adds weaknesses ala FF6's Debilitator. The last two make him a really powerful character to pair with casters like Vivi and Dagger. He's one of the few characters without an easy 9999 attack skill, but No Mercy is powerful enough to at least come close. All-in-all he's much better than people give him credit for.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Never really used Amarant, but I almost always found a place for Quina in my party for some reason. Mighty Guard, Angel's Snack and Auto-Life are pretty useful and I was pretty much always bored enough to grind out the frogs so s/he did decent damage as well. Also his/her design cracks me up, it's so strange.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The issue with Amarant is that he shows up so late in the game that you probably already have a party and a playstyle worked out. You could take the time to figure out how to incorporate a new person, but if you've got something that works, why change it?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

ultrafilter posted:

The issue with Amarant is that he shows up so late in the game that you probably already have a party and a playstyle worked out. You could take the time to figure out how to incorporate a new person, but if you've got something that works, why change it?

I dunno, it's kind of hard to have a particular favorite team when they keep throwing people out and bringing new people in. And when he joins you've got two characters who at that point are pretty much identical in playstyle, so there's absolutely no reason not to switch one of them out and try Amarant for a while.

Wow, we are all just throwing around black text like crazy. That's cool, right Mega?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

TravelLog posted:

Edit: Mega, do you mind if I chime in with Trivia posts on occasion to point out references to older FFs, translation goofs, etc.?

Go ahead! I'm always fine with that sort of thing.

Bufuman posted:

Wow, we are all just throwing around black text like crazy. That's cool, right Mega?

Getting to be a bit too much since we're mostly talking about characters we haven't met yet. I'm fine talking about Freya since we just met her, but the other three we can talk about once we meet them.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Gnoman posted:

I've always been under the impression that this is a Resident Evil 2 reference, as that game required you to insert a medal into a similarly-themed statue. Was that ever confirmed or refuted? It seems like an odd thing to reference in an FF game.

Actually, I wonder if that's just Zidane being a smartass. Like, "Oh, wow, this guy is so great, let's give him a medal, too. *rolls eyes* "

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Bufuman posted:

I really like Amarant, though I'm one of the few that does. That said, in battle he's a solid physical character, he has a skill that restores MP to any character (who needs Ethers anymore?), and another one that adds weaknesses ala FF6's Debilitator. The last two make him a really powerful character to pair with casters like Vivi and Dagger. He's one of the few characters without an easy 9999 attack skill, but No Mercy is powerful enough to at least come close. All-in-all he's much better than people give him credit for.

Thing is, Freya can do the MP Restoration thing too, it costs HER MP for that to MP restore everyone else, but then again she also has Multi-Target Regen and the aforementioned Fixed Damage Attack Dragon's Crest which is easy to max out if you decide to level through L5 Death'd Grand Dragons. 100 of those and you've got quad 9 for everything at a easy-to-restore 16 MP a pop.

Also, this is totally probably a coincidence, but the Final Fantasy Wikia has Freya's article on the front page today. Obvious major spoilers if you intend to check it out, I warned you.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I don't even need black bars to say that my favorite team is Zidane, Vivi, Garnet and Freya. Team: The characters I like the most.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

zfleeman posted:

I will be taking notes on how to structure my party. I only ever used Zidane/Garnet/Vivi/Steiner. I feel like I missed out as a kid.

I just naturally structured my party into some kind of Zidane/Fighter/Mage/Healer-format. Zidane was always there since I couldn't remove him, the rest of the characters filled the appropriate slots. Every time a character got too many levels over someone else in the same slot, I'd switch.

Only the two characters I really couldn't stand ended up like 5 levels lower then the others, the rest were pretty much equalized.

Edit:

In hindsight, this lead to really loving weird situations like Steiner and Freya never being in the party at the same time. Since Freya can be a good healer, I think I'll switch the roles up a bit more this time while I'm playing along.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 2, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SorataYuy posted:

Actually, I wonder if that's just Zidane being a smartass. Like, "Oh, wow, this guy is so great, let's give him a medal, too. *rolls eyes* "

I doubt it, pretty much everywhere I've seen considers it an RE reference. There's a Star Trek reference in Lindblum as well and one entity we won't see in a long, long time straight up quotes Yoda, so a nod to RE isn't that weird.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Any chance of getting a .gif of Steiner :argh:ing it up?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

e: doublepost

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Freya is a great character and Regent Cid is the best Cid.

Regarding the music, I actually like that the Doom Pub has its own theme you never hear anywhere else. I feel like most of us have some local dive or hole-in-the-wall we consider "Ours," so this place having its own distinctive music makes me think it's Zidane's. And not just because it's technically the only bar the developers bothered to include in Lindblum.

Regarding spoilers, I like Amarant but let's talk about him later. GONNA BE A KNIFE YEP YEP!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Despite playing through this game a couple of times, I'm still a bit vague on what an oglop is. I think of it as a hybrid between a cockroach and a ladybug, but the detail is low enough and I was usually playing on a small enough screen that it was never precisely clear.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Looks like a beetle/cockroach with a skull for a face.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Dastardly posted:

Looks like a beetle/cockroach with a skull for a face.

Here's the PS1 model for reference :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dastardly posted:

I don't even need black bars to say that my favorite team is Zidane, Vivi, Garnet and Freya. Team: The characters I like the most.

:hf:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Dastardly posted:

I used the other white mage but otherwise hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Recording my playthrough to maybe catch some cinemagraph-worthy moments.

This is actually the first .gif I've made with Photoshop. I thought it was going to be much more difficult. Any requests for other cinemagraphs up to this point in the game?

• Locked thread