Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It is being made by the guys who did the various fan expansions and balance patches for Mechwarrior 4, but who knows how good they are at actually making their own game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

No experience with the service, but I played a Mac port of Killing Time ages ago and remember having a good time. It's not an especially complex game, just your basic mid-90s corridor crawl, but the art style and FMV cutscenes give it a lot of charm. It also has a pro-tier themesong, which is always important.

Nice I'll check it out then, I love the pulp horror aesthetics.

Also worth noting for anybody interested, looking at the press release the company that brought back Killing Time (Prism) also holds the rights to Requiem Avenging Angel and Uprising 1/2 as well as other Studio 3D0 and Cyclone Studios games, and they intend to release them digitally at some point. So there's something to look forward too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Overbite posted:

There is nothing about Doom 4 that seems good. They talk like they're trying to recapture what made the original Dooms so good but they're missing all of it.
That's one fair opinion, but as one dude who loves Doom, I think it could be great. And I also love Doom 3. There is a wide variety of what makes Doom what it is, even across the first two games. Some people love the huge open areas with lots of mayhem, some prefer the more tight corridor shooter with atmosphere, there's a bit of everything across those episodes.

Though we also have not seen all that much so far. We know you fight a lot of demons and in tight atmospheric areas, sounds kinda like the original game Doom in a lot of ways. Though I still have the original, was playing it yesterday. With the sourceports and community it'll never stop, so we don't need a copy of it. For better or worse, they've gotta try something new in some way.

I don't want to walk in a straight line and watch scripted cutscenes of Marine Jocky Dingdong telling Colonel John Doom his next objective. But that crisis is averted when they canned "Call of Doom" and started over, and we get Doom guy ripping and tearing big guts, I'm optimistic.

I'll need to play a level or at least see say 20 minutes in the middle of the game to know how they're doing it. Hopefully they do have some semi-open hub style levels at times, and maybe finding a more clever way to navigate that than the ol' keycard thing. Granted I'm gonna pre-order the hell out of it.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 2, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Pete Hines: "SnapMap is the trailer home of the Level Editing world."
Tim Willits: "You can put two rooms together; you can put three rooms together. The rooms are identical but the possibilities are not."
John Carmack: "SnapMap is currently incapable of Non-Euclidean geometry but we have discovered algorithms for rendering right angles that are a truer 90-degrees than any previous right angles, real or imagined. Prefabricated stairs will take full advantage of this technology."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Early FPS Thread: Prefabricated stairs will take full advantage of this technology

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've wanted to play Shogo since its release and I'm jonesing for some anime robots right now, so I figured I'd grab it off GOG next week. Did it ever get any fan patches or anything? A quick Google didn't find anything.

Going back a bit to this post to emphasize that the physics in Shogo are beyond horrible, and explosions are so badly calculated they will gently caress you up if you're not standing really far away.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's a general Lithtech thing, isn't it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
someone needs to make a good Mecha Total Conversion/Mod for Doom

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

someone needs to make a good Mecha Total Conversion/Mod for Doom
It's not a giant robot, but Xaser's got the hookup on the short-term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDy5lV9tejA

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

That looks pretty neat, I'll have to give it a shot tomorrow

Also had two different ideas in mind for a Mecha themed TC/Mod;

1. A Mobile Suit Gundam themed TC/Mod

2. A TC/Mod influenced by the Super Robot Wars series, where you'd have several different Mecha types to play as, each an expy of at least one existing Mecha series/franchise with it's own unique weapons and abilities

If I knew anything about modding and/or spriting, I'd totally do something with these ideas, especially since I'm sure they'd make for some wild co-op experiences

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'd probably commit actual murder for a CCA-era UC FPS built in Gloome. :v:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

A.o.D. posted:

Thank goodness lovely planet was only 2 bux, because I do not like it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
:smithfrog:

May Roddy Piper find an inexhaustible supply of bubblegum and rear end in the afterlife.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

John Carmack: "SnapMap is currently incapable of Non-Euclidean geometry but we have discovered algorithms for rendering right angles that are a truer 90-degrees than any previous right angles, real or imagined. Prefabricated stairs will take full advantage of this technology."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

To be fair, pre-fabricated stairs is part of what made UnrealEd great.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So I made this Quake-themed status bar for osjclatchford's Quake weapon mod for Heretic. Check it out in the mod's thread on zdoom.org.

Speaking of Quake, are there any level sets that are large (the original maps are too drat small) and visually striking but fairly easy-going (the difficulty of the original game would be about right)? I am and have always been kind of poo poo at Quake and stuff like Travail is just too much for me after the first couple of levels.

Also it would be nice if leileilol fixed up Engoo to be as reliable and stable as Qbism super8. It's the best looking Quake port out there (real software colored lighting that doesn't look terrible like super8's! Metal reflections! Gore!) but it's a janky, temperamental one with plenty of horrible bugs too.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 2, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
From what I remember leileilol stopped working on Engoo in 2011 and has no interest in restarting it. Someone ought to convince him to restart working on it, I'd love to see it polished up.

Also, awesome Quake bar! Though the quad damage icon seems to slip out of its spot on the HUD.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The quad damage icon is part of the original mod so I'd have to edit some of the original mod's stuff to make it fit properly. :effort:

The last Engoo build on his site is from December 2013.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

The quad damage icon is part of the original mod so I'd have to edit some of the original mod's stuff to make it fit properly. :effort:

The last Engoo build on his site is from December 2013.

Oh really? I'm mistaken then. In any case I really think he should work on the quake port as well, I love the aesthetics but hate the bugs.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I just watched a video of map jam 2. Shotgunning shamblers and vores with hardly any health and armor around? :gonk:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Woolie Wool posted:

So I made this Quake-themed status bar for osjclatchford's Quake weapon mod for Heretic. Check it out in the mod's thread on zdoom.org.

It is a fun weapon mod, but it has an unpleasant tendency to leave you stranded without any rockets. :argh:

The megahealth doesn't actually increase your health past 100 too, and the grenade launcher feels janky.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I kind of hate the trend of "customizing" other people's mods (especially Brutal Doom) but I've considered doing a modified version that makes some quality-of-life changes, including ripping the grenade code from Samsara so the grenades behave like Quake grenades and not like balls of silly putty.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
if anyone wanted mechs in their doom, All Out War 2 has a bunch of rad ones to play around with, and the servers are usually decently populated. Think CnC Renegade but doom and with a boatload more class variation.

Personally though, i'd be totally willing to make a classic FPS thinger about giant stompy mechs, but I don't see it really being worth the time and effort put in. Who would even want that?

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 2, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

I kind of hate the trend of "customizing" other people's mods (especially Brutal Doom) but I've considered doing a modified version that makes some quality-of-life changes, including ripping the grenade code from Samsara so the grenades behave like Quake grenades and not like balls of silly putty.

Take it with a bit of :goonsay: but have you asked osjc about customizing his mod?

Colon Semicolon posted:

Personally though, i'd be totally willing to make a classic FPS thinger about giant stompy mechs, but I don't see it really being worth the time and effort put in. Who would even want that?

:eyepop:

Better question, who wouldn't want giant rear end stompy mechs.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'd be willing to do the art side of poo poo for something like that if someone was willing to do all that poo poo i'm too dumb to understand. I GUESS it could be sold too, what with the whole thing of that open source doom game kit thing from awhile back.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I've been playing through the Duke 3D expansions and Duke it out in DC is amazing in how bad it is. That Smithsonian level is the best example of putting more effort into making a believable area than a fun level.

They also skimp on the ammo for the more powerful weapons, they love putting cards in weird spots like in air ducts, and there's too many little switches to look for and hit.

Hopefully Nuclear Winter and Caribbean are better!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Overbite posted:

I've been playing through the Duke 3D expansions and Duke it out in DC is amazing in how bad it is. That Smithsonian level is the best example of putting more effort into making a believable area than a fun level.

They also skimp on the ammo for the more powerful weapons, they love putting cards in weird spots like in air ducts, and there's too many little switches to look for and hit.

Hopefully Nuclear Winter and Caribbean are better!

Duke Caribbean is the best of the three, Nuclear Winter is the worst.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

How do I make the midi music work in Engoo?

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

Duke Caribbean is the best of the three, Nuclear Winter is the worst.

This is truth. Duke Caribbean is good, silly fun with cool levels. The waterpark was my fave back in the day.

Played through Nuclear Winter last year and it sucked rear end. The fact the first two levels were duplicates of the first two from Hollywood Holocaust didn't even bother me much. It was the other levels that sucked rear end. Land of Forgotten Toys was an interesting idea poorly executed, with some fun easter eggs.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

i actually rather liked what I've played of Duke It Out In DC...

Although, really, about half of that and the first stage of Life's a Beach are all I've played of the expansions. Don't really wanna touch Nuclear Winter, although I suppose I will do so one day and be thoroughly disappointed.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I am playing through some classic Quake total conversions on my old-rear end laptop with freedos installed on it, and lemme tell you, engoo is the poo poo. The amount of customization and visual options is incredible, there are loving dynamic colored lights in this thing. Even in 320x200 it looks better than any pure DOS 3d shooter I know. Leilei has a great skill if capturing the look of early 3dfx games with his shaders.

Also Q2DOS works like a charm under freedos. I wasn't even aware how much pleasant image dirtyness gives the software mode in low resolution.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Colon Semicolon posted:

if anyone wanted mechs in their doom, All Out War 2 has a bunch of rad ones to play around with, and the servers are usually decently populated. Think CnC Renegade but doom and with a boatload more class variation.

the question is actually, who wouldn't want a Doom mod for Giant Robots, with several different "Characters" to cover different kinds of Mecha, like one would be a Gundam expy, another would be a Mazinger Expy, and so on(I picture everything would be the standard Doom size scale for compatibility with existing WADS, but if there was a unique map set made for this, it'd be designed to make you look huge, like it'd be a bunch of miniature cities and space colonies and other such environments)

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'd probably commit actual murder for a CCA-era UC FPS built in Gloome. :v:

I was thinking more One Year War era than anything(Big Zam would make for a great Cyberdemon replacement)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

:smithfrog:

May Roddy Piper find an inexhaustible supply of bubblegum and rear end in the afterlife.

Well, drat. I always find out that kind of thing when browsing Games subforum. :negative:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Honestly, if you wanted to do a mecha mod and have it work decently, you don't wanna go into the gigantic territory. somewhere around the halfway between votoms and patlabor, I guess. That way you can still have decent environments without limiting yourself to just cities, caves, and hangars.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Well, drat. I always find out that kind of thing when browsing Games subforum. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDKdHuyQpHY

:argh: This should go in the OP for a bit. :argh:

Hopefully someone throws together an Eduke They Live memorial mod.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

laserghost posted:

I am playing through some classic Quake total conversions on my old-rear end laptop with freedos installed on it, and lemme tell you, engoo is the poo poo. The amount of customization and visual options is incredible, there are loving dynamic colored lights in this thing. Even in 320x200 it looks better than any pure DOS 3d shooter I know. Leilei has a great skill if capturing the look of early 3dfx games with his shaders.

It's unfortunately buggy as poo poo though. I can't even get r_novis to work without massive rendering errors.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Colon Semicolon posted:

Honestly, if you wanted to do a mecha mod and have it work decently, you don't wanna go into the gigantic territory. somewhere around the halfway between votoms and patlabor, I guess. That way you can still have decent environments without limiting yourself to just cities, caves, and hangars.

that's kinda why I suggested doing any custom maps at a non 1:1 scale, that way the Player Model and any enemies would still be within the standard Doom size range and you'd retain WAD compatibility

also at lease one of the playable Robots would need to be Chex Quest related :getin:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

I just watched a video of map jam 2. Shotgunning shamblers and vores with hardly any health and armor around? :gonk:

With infighting and cover.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Colon Semicolon posted:

You would.

Don't make stuff based upon how many people will like it, make things based upon whether you think it'd be fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Just in case anyone wasn't sure 22 years after the game came out, cyberspace mega-hit Doom is a heart-pounding action game