Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The Lone Badger posted:

It doesn't penetrate blocks, so a roof over your head blocks it.
Switchable (actuated) shields may be useful.

I didn't know this, and dealt with it by flying over his head to the other side as soon as the laser started. UFO mount probably required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I keep forgetting I have a flying mount, that would have made building my latest megaconstruction easier. I went to a moderate amount of trouble farming the Queen Bee for it, too.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
So now that we are done with terraria, can anyone suggest any similar (non-starbound) multiplayer explore-y games? My partner and I are bored.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Blackheart posted:

Already beat Duke Fishron and I don't think he has more drops that interest me, what is the simplest Frost/Pumpkin moon arena you can make? I have some traps I harvested from the jungle temple, do I just build a flat colosseum with a high central platform and a lot of traps? I guess I could make new worlds to get more temple traps... Since there's a lot of enemies and item drops I've read that heart statues won't really help much.

I built a pyramid with thin walls around a small room up top. Any sort of invasion or moon event just streams up the sides into my killzone.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

IntelligibleChoir posted:

So now that we are done with terraria, can anyone suggest any similar (non-starbound) multiplayer explore-y games? My partner and I are bored.

Signs of Life just implemented multiplayer recently.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dareon posted:

Glad to see that game still has the best gifs.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Dareon posted:

I forgot I got this game; it once gave me an archievment for pooping my pants. GOTY.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Blackheart posted:

Already beat Duke Fishron and I don't think he has more drops that interest me, what is the simplest Frost/Pumpkin moon arena you can make? I have some traps I harvested from the jungle temple, do I just build a flat colosseum with a high central platform and a lot of traps? I guess I could make new worlds to get more temple traps... Since there's a lot of enemies and item drops I've read that heart statues won't really help much.

traps, traps, and more traps. this is simple but works pretty well against a solar eclipse--probably fine for the pumpkin/frost grunts, as well. it's worth it to have heart statues and an actual boss arena above it for when the big guys come in to play, though (still working on that).

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Thanks, I'll give something like that a try. Most of the arenas I found while google searching were AFK farms or stuff that doesn't interest me. (and a lot of them don't even work on the latest patch, I think, since they relied on spikes and inv. frame abuse) I really didn't need any sort of setup against Fishron or eclipses.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blackheart posted:

Thanks, I'll give something like that a try. Most of the arenas I found while google searching were AFK farms or stuff that doesn't interest me. (and a lot of them don't even work on the latest patch, I think, since they relied on spikes and inv. frame abuse) I really didn't need any sort of setup against Fishron or eclipses.

Given the much better gear available, they probably don't need i frame abuse anymore anyway.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I haven't seen this article posted yet, so: http://www.pcgamer.com/mod-support-and-more-frequent-updates-are-coming-to-terraria/

Biggest thing to take away here, in my mind, is that Red wants mod support, but can't promise it, especially since internal hardcoded limits are being approached.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Blackheart posted:

From this post I can tell you're not playing Expert mode.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Over 350 feet wide and 100 feet tall, this UFO lies at the very edge of space on a large world. Access is, of course, via teleporter, although the gemspark blocks in the cockpit are actuated to allow access to the exterior. Diamond gemspark walls provide gentle lighting throughout the interior (In addition to the natural illumination from the meteor and crimtane bricks), with white dynasty walls for accents. The minibiomes to either side are probably about the smallest that will work. Certainly their respective houses are. There's room for 20 NPCs, or will be once I finish walling the top floor.

It's obviously not finished, but it's at least something I feel good about showing. I don't know quite what to do with the middle floor, as far as back walls and purpose goes. It'll probably wind up being storage, crafting, and trophies, but beyond that, no idea.

And for those despairing about ever making something that neat, here's a secret: It's all made of boxes, or at least straight lines. :ssh: I started with the bottom, made it arbitrarily 50 blocks long, then to make the curve I went up 1 and out 12, up 1 and out 11, up 1 and out 10, etc. I did a lot of exploratory building and demolishing to get the height right, at first starting with only one of those window bubbles on the edge. After I got the windows looking halfway decent, it was just a matter of finishing the top shell as a mirror image of the bottom, adding another box on top, and finishing the bubble cockpit with half a circle.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 3, 2015

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
You should really smooth those corners.

I love the integration of the mushroom and jungle rooms, though.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Cryohazard posted:

From this post I can tell you're not playing Expert mode.

Yeah.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I finally beat Moon Lord on expert in a large world using a character from scratch and have only played since the Mech Trio update. I want to finish off my terraria wun by getting my last 5 achievements. The 200 fish quests will take time but I was wondering if there's an easy way to make Tim spawn? Also can I just change my time to a christmas date for the Frost Legion?
/

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

I seem to have Tim/Rune Wizards show up most often at the lava level, just above where hell enemies start appearing.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I haven't seen this article posted yet, so: http://www.pcgamer.com/mod-support-and-more-frequent-updates-are-coming-to-terraria/

Biggest thing to take away here, in my mind, is that Red wants mod support, but can't promise it, especially since internal hardcoded limits are being approached.

Terraria's code is a horrible, horrible mess. I'm really surprised that they somehow manage to update it and not break everything. That said if they do manage to add proper mod support I'd be all over it.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

Since the Moonlord won't give me the Last Prism I decided to spruce up my fishing spots. I'm not entirely satisfied with the hallow one yet, but here's my Crimson spot.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Crimson is so creepy. I love it. Wait you can make fleshy crimson furniture? That's even more creepy.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Waffleopolis posted:

The 200 fish quests will take time

Ugh, that's an understatement. Do yourself a favor and set up TShock now and get used to running "/time 4:29". I tried using the packaged Terraria Server but it only lets you get as close as 'midnight' and you still have to wait 4:30 between each drat fish.

For the Frost Legion, yeah you can just change your system time until you collect a few snowglobes from presents. You'll want to actually fight them and get Santa Claus to move in for the NPC cheevo also before changing it back. Be aware that while your system time is moved ahead a lot of https sites will seem to stop working as it will think the certs are expired and you might have various other problems, so I'd recommend getting it all done in one session and not re-launching Steam or trying to do too much else at the same time.

I have no advice for Tim, I've run into him a few times now and didn't even notice there was an achievement. Near the lava layer might be right though, I spent a lot of time there drilling for titanium.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

My mimic farm at the top of the lava layer got several Tim kills so yeah that area works, no idea if it's the 'best' area but pretty sure it's easier to get him pre-hardmode, you can get him in hardmode but the Rune Wizard is more common

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I killed Tim, also got Frost Legion. All I need is the 200 fish, the Terrarian, and I can finally be free of Terraria :D

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

i don't remember who was complaining about skeleton merchants a while back but they're drat right. it's a bit of a double-edged sword; i want to sell all the lovely mimic drops and stuff from my rod of discord farm, but disabling the mob spawns is a pain in the rear end!

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So the Golem was an absolute pushover and I've gotten myself decked out in shroomite but I'm sort of running into a wall that my bows... can't seem to get past.

I figured I'd try my hand at Fishron before the cultists so I could get a Tsunami but he absolutely kicked my poo poo in, then I went to try the cultists and the shotbow/Daedalus are absolutely not made for that, since I kept hitting the fakes when he did his summoning attack.

I know guns at this point would probably be better but I'd like to stick with bows. Anything I can really do to try and get over this speed bump?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Fishron is literally harder than the final boss.
His added perk of "Gets way stronger if you leave the Ocean" is also super unintuitive and mandates at least one death.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So should I use merman form when I get around to Fishron then?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
"The ocean" means the ocean biome, not the literal water. Just build your fightin' platform(s) over the ocean and don't run too far inland.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah it was kind of a shame because in 1.2 fishron put up a good fight and felt like a pretty well-balanced boss. He was the only one that didn't need much of an expert boost - but now he's on par with the moon lord. I built a teleport mine cart in the ocean biome and used a sniper rifle with chlorophyte bullets to kill him.

Also his tendancy to despawn if you blink is infuriating. The fact that you can discourage him from doing this by using a sniper scope is dumb.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Killed the Golem eight times on expert, received zero sunstones. :argh:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Gorp posted:

Fishron is literally harder than the final boss.
His added perk of "Gets way stronger if you leave the Ocean" is also super unintuitive and mandates at least one death.

... how is "Goes crazy if you leave the area where you summon him" unintuitive when Plantera already did the same thing. And when Skeletron Prime used to do the same thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

omeg posted:

Terraria's code is a horrible, horrible mess. I'm really surprised that they somehow manage to update it and not break everything. That said if they do manage to add proper mod support I'd be all over it.

It can't possibly be worse than TF2's coding can it? :ohdear:

Xenaero posted:

Crimson is so creepy. I love it. Wait you can make fleshy crimson furniture? That's even more creepy.

It certainly makes you seem more insane when you make houses and such out of the stuff.

It's weird looking at it now that the Crimson got creepy flesh furniture and the best the Corruption got was bricks and wall.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Supremezero posted:

... how is "Goes crazy if you leave the area where you summon him" unintuitive when Plantera already did the same thing. And when Skeletron Prime used to do the same thing.

I didn't know he did, where were you supposed to fight him?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
So I'm into Hardmode for the first time (well, I did it years ago, but didn't keep playing after getting mauled by a loving unicorn 30 seconds in).

I'm definitely going to keep going, but I'm getting kind of leery of just using whatever weapon I happen to have around at the moment. I want to focus a bit more.

So, if I were to go "melee" and stop randomly switching out for a ranged weapon when it's convenient (as I have been doing), would the game basically become impossible (or so frustrating as to be nearly impossible?

I'm basically asking whether a melee only build (or almost melee only) is viable for a player new to Hardmode (but one who is not playing expert and has played a poo poo-ton of ordinary).

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

SlyFrog posted:

So, if I were to go "melee" and stop randomly switching out for a ranged weapon when it's convenient (as I have been doing), would the game basically become impossible (or so frustrating as to be nearly impossible?

I'm basically asking whether a melee only build (or almost melee only) is viable for a player new to Hardmode (but one who is not playing expert and has played a poo poo-ton of ordinary).

Yo-yos are bullshit-level good. You might benefit from using ranged weapons for some of the bosses (i.e., Stormbow + Holy arrows for the Destroyer), but yo-yos will basically obliterate all of your non-boss encounters, especially after you get a yo-yo bag.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Synastren posted:

Yo-yos are bullshit-level good. You might benefit from using ranged weapons for some of the bosses (i.e., Stormbow + Holy arrows for the Destroyer), but yo-yos will basically obliterate all of your non-boss encounters, especially after you get a yo-yo bag.

I should have been clearer (didn't think about yo-yos) - I pretty much consider yo-yos to be ranged because of the way they work. I'm talking about literally sticking to swords, etc. (It is okay if the sword shoots a star or something, but nothing that is "melee" but in reality routinely fires 3/4 of the way across the screen and mauls everything.)

EDIT: Now that I think about this, perhaps I should do ranged or magic now and save the melee for another playthrough. :)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

(e^; Then yeah you'll have trouble. It's possible but there won't be much to carry you through things. Getting stuff like the Ice Sickle is a must and even then without more variety as backup it's gonna be tough.)

Melee-only is perfectly viable, especially since there's ranged weapons like yoyos, boomerangs and so on that are melee, and most later melee weapons also shoot projectiles. Focusing will definitely not make things impossible. That said, it will make things harder if you hit plateaus where there's no real good melee weapon with which to fight some of the hardmode bosses, but most biomes should now have yoyo drops that are pretty drat OP and enough to carry you through those fights on their own.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 3, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, eventually every endgame melee weapon fires projectiles anyway, it's kinda silly, so just give in to the yoyos since they count as melee damage. At the stage I'm at I use the Terra Blade for heavy damage, the eye Yoyo for tricky enemies and Vampire Knives when health gets down. All of these count as melee and benefit from melee damage bonuses. (plus the rainbow gun as a free, extra damage zone).

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Supremezero posted:

Apparently a lot of people thought "if you leave the ocean" meant the actual ocean and that you had to do the fight while swimming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, eventually every endgame melee weapon fires projectiles anyway, it's kinda silly, so just give in to the yoyos since they count as melee damage. At the stage I'm at I use the Terra Blade for heavy damage, the eye Yoyo for tricky enemies and Vampire Knives when health gets down. All of these count as melee and benefit from melee damage bonuses. (plus the rainbow gun as a free, extra damage zone).

have you fought many UFOs yet, because the influx waver is essentially a terra blade upgrade