Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Shadow Hog posted:

Just in case anyone wasn't sure 22 years after the game came out, cyberspace mega-hit Doom is a heart-pounding action game

:lol:

Couldn't they have at least gotten less lovely costumes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Klaus88 posted:

Someone repost those campy FMV mockups.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Just in case anyone wasn't sure 22 years after the game came out, cyberspace mega-hit Doom is a heart-pounding action game

This is absolutely amazing and I totally want future E3s to be more about this and less about Ravi Drums and lovely press conferences.

Klaus88 posted:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/3DO#Gallery

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Hog posted:

I can't stop laughing.

Seriously laughed for a good minute without pause.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Playing Duke Nuclear Winter is like a rite of passage. It helps you appreciate just how good the base game and other early FPS games are. Also the ending is dumb as poo poo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Playing Duke Nuclear Winter is like a rite of passage. It helps you appreciate just how good the base game and other early FPS games are. Also the ending is dumb as poo poo.

I'm sort of surprised nobody talks about the radical feminist elves.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Segmentation Fault posted:

That falls under rule one of nuclear winter. :tinfoil:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shadow Hog posted:

Well NOW I know it is thanks to this. 22 years and I never noticed. Also, why didn't they introduce New Doom like this? I'm sure reactions would have been much better across the board.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

I totally forgot about that enemy! I honestly didn't believe someone would be dumb enough to put that in when I ran into them.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

quote:

The best way to make someone snap out of being brainwashed is to kill them. :q:

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

I totally forgot about that enemy! I honestly didn't believe someone would be dumb enough to put that in when I ran into them.

I like how their death animation is so poo poo it makes them look like they're folding, like they're made out of paper.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 3, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Overbite posted:

I've been playing through the Duke 3D expansions and Duke it out in DC is amazing in how bad it is. That Smithsonian level is the best example of putting more effort into making a believable area than a fun level.

They also skimp on the ammo for the more powerful weapons, they love putting cards in weird spots like in air ducts, and there's too many little switches to look for and hit.

Hopefully Nuclear Winter and Caribbean are better!
I'm not big on those, but there are some well done user made episodes for Duke 3D (eduke32). An endless amount to check out pretty much, there's a cool compilation launcher of many map packs and mods for eduke32. You don't need the High Resolution Pack thingy on there, the addon compilation is at the bottom of the page. They fixed a bunch of bugs and whatnot in older maps too.

http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php

ADG Episode is a random good one from way back I just played. BobSP is also cool. Fusion is a good crazy total conversion with weapons and enemies from Quake, Half-Life, etc. I'm still checking out lots of these thingies.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 3, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

They really hosed up by not calling it "Dukelear Winter" :colbert:

EDIT: Dukular.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shadow Hog posted:

lmao the dour businessmen just sitting in their chairs expressionless

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

They really hosed up by not calling it "Dukelear Winter" :colbert:

EDIT: Dukular.

Honestly I'm hoping everyone refers to Bombshell as Dutchess Nukem.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I was thinking more One Year War era than anything(Big Zam would make for a great Cyberdemon replacement)

It has to be at least 0083 if not 0085, otherwise you lose out on all the best-looking UC designs. :v:

I'd settle for a Patlabor FPS, though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It has to be at least 0083 if not 0085, otherwise you lose out on all the best-looking UC designs. :v:

I'd settle for a Patlabor FPS, though.

by OYW I really meant pretty much everything set before Zeta Gundam(from 0085 onward things get a lot harder to properly emulate with early FPS mechanics/engines)

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Someone has an amazing snipe coming up...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

A modified software renderer has been released for Quake II that adds colored lighting and a couple other features: http://super8.qbism.com/2015/01/quake-ii-with-8-bit-colored-lighting-ref_soft-dll/

Unfortunately it only seems to work with vanilla, r1q2, or 3.24. Also I don't know whether this is a thing with the vanilla software renderer as well (my guess: it is) but particles are absolutely huge and distracting at high resolutions.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

A modified software renderer has been released for Quake II that adds colored lighting and a couple other features: http://super8.qbism.com/2015/01/quake-ii-with-8-bit-colored-lighting-ref_soft-dll/

Unfortunately it only seems to work with vanilla, r1q2, or 3.24. Also I don't know whether this is a thing with the vanilla software renderer as well (my guess: it is) but particles are absolutely huge and distracting at high resolutions.

Looks great. Now we just need a way to force linear interpolation off.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Another early pre-alpha of Doom 1, sitting between the previously-discovered 0.2 and 0.4 builds, has been dug up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv_02MvAy7I

Current research thread so far

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Gosh, that's basically Wolfenstein. Did they actually use a modified Wolfenstein engine for Doom or was it rebuilt from scratch eventually?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Nah, the original q2 software mode did not have colored lights. That was one of the big features of playing the game with an OpenGL compatible 3D card back then, that, and the texture interpolation.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Gosh, that's basically Wolfenstein. Did they actually use a modified Wolfenstein engine for Doom or was it rebuilt from scratch eventually?

From what I remember from Masters of Doom, John Carmack created a engine from scratch.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The similarities to Wolf3D are probably more because of the early state of the levels, combined with Tom Hall's design philosophy at that point in time(lots of square rooms, because those are "realistic")

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I think it was John Carmack who acquired the set of military architecture books, though. Pretty much everyone was behind the "realistic" level design until Romero dissented and started doing things his way.

A.o.D. posted:

Nah, the original q2 software mode did not have colored lights.

Well this new software renderer does?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 5, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Another early pre-alpha of Doom 1, sitting between the previously-discovered 0.2 and 0.4 builds, has been dug up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv_02MvAy7I

Current research thread so far

Lookit that HUD! Proto Ultimate DooM Visor Mod.

Woolie Wool posted:

I think it was John Carmack who acquired the set of military architecture books, though. Pretty much everyone was behind the "realistic" level design until Romero dissented and started doing things his way.

Jeez, I'm still amazed that Doom's development was such a perfect storm.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

A really neat article was retweeted by Carmack himself, full with Quake MP zeitgeist stuff: http://www.big-game-theory.com/2015/08/these-halls-i-walked-homage-to-doom-and.html?m=1

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Wamdoodle posted:

Jeez, I'm still amazed that Doom's development was such a perfect storm.

It's like every new thing about Doom's development that comes up just makes its success feel like more and more of a lucky break.

"Oh yeah, Carmack originally wanted to move at about a quarter of the speed in the game. But he made a typo right as he sent out the press release, and everyone loved how fast you could run then. D'OH WELL" -John "Stallion-Mane" Romero

Douk Douk fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 5, 2015

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

That's pretty much everything, ever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Especially games. They don't leap fully-formed from the head of an auteur, the best games are the result of extensive iteration and a willingness to go in any direction that feels right even if it wasn't the original plan.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Has anyone had issues with QuakeSpasm after upgrading to Windows 10? I can no longer activate V-sync in the video options (it just says "N/A"). Looks like my Nvidia drivers are updated so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Minidust posted:

Has anyone had issues with QuakeSpasm after upgrading to Windows 10? I can no longer activate V-sync in the video options (it just says "N/A"). Looks like my Nvidia drivers are updated so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Works for me on Win10. I'm using the 64bit build and have the latest Nvidia drivers. I did do a clean install of drivers after upgrading.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Commander Keenan posted:

Works for me on Win10. I'm using the 64bit build and have the latest Nvidia drivers. I did do a clean install of drivers after upgrading.
Not to derail too much into PC tech chat, but could you dumb down the "clean install" method? I'm on a laptop but it has an integrated graphics card as well as a GeForce 840M.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

I was answering your uncertainty about the original software renderer, not correcting you.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Minidust posted:

Not to derail too much into PC tech chat, but could you dumb down the "clean install" method? I'm on a laptop but it has an integrated graphics card as well as a GeForce 840M.

Easiest way without other tools is running the Nvidia Geforce driver install and selecting "Clean install". You could try through GeForce Experience, but I'm not sure if that's option is in there.

My method, though, is using a program called Driver Fusion to have it nuke everything then I just do a fresh install. There's another program called Driver Cleaner.Net that's also pretty good.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Commander Keenan posted:

Easiest way without other tools is running the Nvidia Geforce driver install and selecting "Clean install". You could try through GeForce Experience, but I'm not sure if that's option is in there.

My method, though, is using a program called Driver Fusion to have it nuke everything then I just do a fresh install. There's another program called Driver Cleaner.Net that's also pretty good.
I'll look into those, thanks!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

haveblue posted:

Especially games. They don't leap fully-formed from the head of an auteur, the best games are the result of extensive iteration and a willingness to go in any direction that feels right even if it wasn't the original plan.

If there was any single thing I could point as a universal truth about good games, this would be it.

Iteration and testing create the best games. Most starving devs/studios don't have the time or the money to do proper iteration long enough to come up with something really amazing.

This is also why you'll sometimes see a studio that has done nothing but 'bad' B-C games suddenly come out of 'nowhere' with a solid A or A+ game when they have the time and money needed to fully explore a design.

I don't think a lot of people who play games realize just how mutable games in dev are, and how rapidly changes can occur.

It's also fun watching how a studio responds to players after release. A good one embraces the community 'breaking' the game in various awesome ways (because its fun) and supports it. A lovely one tries to make players play the game 'their way'. Which never works.

I'd be hard pressed to think of many cool and enduring fps tricks that were an intentional feature rather than something discovered and adopted by the player base after release. Everything from bunny hopping and rocket jumping to 360 noscopes. Ok I could maybe do without the latter, but point stands :v: Also applies to fighting games and a lot of other genres as well. Hell, the entirety of the speedrunning community is built around breaking games - but it's awesome!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012