Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I thought vintage SVT's were PTP? Or is late 70s too late?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Imaduck posted:

Who would I look for to service these? I mean, I've done some work on old stereo equipment myself, but I don't really have a local store I'm super comfortable with.

Most stereo equipment, even going back a number of decades, use discrete, solid-state electronics. Tube-based amps are a different beast and if you're not used to working on them, you shouldn't mess with it. That said, most local stores don't do their own tech work, at least not in my experience. They contract the work out to some local tech person who, usually, knows what they're doing.

Case in point: my Sunn 300T needed some work; the tubes were OK but the thing barely worked, random crap started not working every now and then, etc. ad nauseam. So, I took it to the local Fender dealership (Sunn was bought by Fender and Fender put out the Sunn 300T), and a couple weeks later, I got it back. The service sticker on the back had a name I recognized, and it was some guy who handled several stores in the St. Louis area who happens to be the good friend of a friend of mine. The kicker? My friend told me that this guy would look at it for me if I wanted, but no, I wanted to go through the authorized service channels.

Because I'm a genius, that's why.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Bought a MIM fender precision bass recently. As a guitar -> bass convert, going back to guitar is a real trip. The fret width is so different!

Anyways, its a MIM rosewood neck. I heard somewhere that you can replace with a made in america neck. Can someone inform me what I can expect if I get this upgrade? I've always played entry-level instruments, interested in what's different.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Bought a MIM fender precision bass recently. As a guitar -> bass convert, going back to guitar is a real trip. The fret width is so different!

Anyways, its a MIM rosewood neck. I heard somewhere that you can replace with a made in america neck. Can someone inform me what I can expect if I get this upgrade? I've always played entry-level instruments, interested in what's different.

Truss rod adjustment at the body side. Different tuners maybe. Some have different finishes. If there's no problems with the MIM neck there's no good reason to update, since you'll be spending almost as much on the neck as the whole MIM bass.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

DrChu posted:

Truss rod adjustment at the body side. Different tuners maybe. Some have different finishes. If there's no problems with the MIM neck there's no good reason to update, since you'll be spending almost as much on the neck as the whole MIM bass.

This is all true and good advice. If you are interested in upgrading though, I always found the tuners on the MIMs to be garbage and a set of Hipshot HB7s or similar would be a totally worthwhile purchase.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah if I was upgrading a MIM anything the first thing I'd look at is the electrics, not that there's anything wrong with them as such but that's where you'll get bigger benefits.
First up though would be a set up so you really know what your dealing with.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah if I was upgrading a MIM anything the first thing I'd look at is the electrics, not that there's anything wrong with them as such but that's where you'll get bigger benefits.
First up though would be a set up so you really know what your dealing with.

Yeah an electronics upgrade gives really good returns for the price and is also substantially easier than anything like a neck swap.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Looking for a new combo amp, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of the Fender Rumble bass amps, in particular the Rumble 200.

Reviews look favorable.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

I got a Rumble 25 as a practice amp and loved it so much I got a Rumble 500 for gigs. I do gig with it occasionally, when the venue doesn't have a backline, and it's definitely plenty to keep up with a heavy drummer and a couple guitar amps. Weight was a huge factor, we mostly play in NYC so I'm not really driving to gigs, I'm taking cabs and hauling all my poo poo around solo.

I loaned the 500 to a buddy who borrowed it for a gig, he's been messing with it for a few weeks and he loves it too. It was an outside gig and he apparently didn't push it past 3 or 3 1/2.

It doesn't hold up to the SVT Pros they have at the practice space we use, but it's cheap and light and versatile enough that I'm pretty happy with them.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Ruzihm posted:

Looking for a new combo amp, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of the Fender Rumble bass amps, in particular the Rumble 200.

Reviews look favorable.

I've jammed on an earlier Rumble 100 (looks different than that, not sure if they changed any internals) and it was pretty good. Capable of loud clean tones. I had no complaints, really.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I need a little help from pick users. Since I've decided to grow my nails out for classical guitar I have to give up my usual tone on bass in favor of pick playing. No big deal since bass isn't my main instrument but I'd like to reinvent my sound. My standard has been nylon/flats with the tone rolled off and as much bass/low mid as possible. Now I'm settling for my second favorite sound, that mids forward grindy post punk sound. Something between QotSA, Interpol and Joy Division. Maybe a little meaner. So far I've figured out to favor my bridge pickup, tone wide open, set the amp a little brighter and keep the drive up. I think my issue is lacking a little extra girth.

Picked bass is fairly new to me even though I'm comfortable with the physical part. The EQing it needs is completely foreign to a life long finger style player.

e: j bass by the way

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kilometers Davis posted:

I need a little help from pick users. Since I've decided to grow my nails out for classical guitar I have to give up my usual tone on bass in favor of pick playing. No big deal since bass isn't my main instrument but I'd like to reinvent my sound. My standard has been nylon/flats with the tone rolled off and as much bass/low mid as possible. Now I'm settling for my second favorite sound, that mids forward grindy post punk sound. Something between QotSA, Interpol and Joy Division. Maybe a little meaner. So far I've figured out to favor my bridge pickup, tone wide open, set the amp a little brighter and keep the drive up. I think my issue is lacking a little extra girth.

Picked bass is fairly new to me even though I'm comfortable with the physical part. The EQing it needs is completely foreign to a life long finger style player.

What does your EQ look like now? I usually favor the 500-1k range for picking.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Keep some low mids in there, just slowly increase them until you're at where you want.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Bridge pickup + pick + boosted highs is just a recipe for a brittle tone, and not how the bands listed are set up.

QOTSA - Precision Bass
Interpol - Jazz Bass with both pickups at 100%
Joy Division - basically a P Bass with a reversed pickup

None favor a bridge pickup. If you want a grindy tone with some girth put the mid pickup at 100% volume/tone, and the bridge backed off a little (or 100% if you want the kinda scooped Interpol sound). You'll need some overdrive from either the amp or a pedal as well (just a little for Interpol, more for Joy Division/QOTSA). If your EQ has the capability, you may want to cut a little way low (like 40Hz) and boost around 100-200.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like P basses best for pickstyle, so if I were playing a Jazz, I'd favor the neck pickup with the tone wide open.

Nick Oliveri famously used a very simple setup when he played in QotSA: P bass wired straight to the jack (no controls) -> cranked Ampeg V4

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Imaduck posted:

After a long hiatus, I'm getting back into Bass playing and looking for an amp. I have an Ampeg 410 cab already, but my amp setup is kind of janky with just a modeling unit and an power amp, and I'd rather move to something more all-in-one.

The Ampeg SVTs seem pretty well recommended across the board, so I've been eyeing a couple on Craigslist.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that unless you're absolutely, positively certain that you want a tube SVT that you at least try the new stuff out there if you have been out of the game for a while.

I mean, something like this GK Fusion 800 sounds loving incredible, has 800 watts, weighs under SIX POUNDS with a tube preamp and is $900 new.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I was using LaBella flats on my Lakland hollowbody but I found the clarity really lacking. I tried GHS Pressurewounds, but they're a little too roundwound-y. So, can anyone recommend some halfrounds that have some flatwound thump, but a little touch of roundwound brightness?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

I was using LaBella flats on my Lakland hollowbody but I found the clarity really lacking. I tried GHS Pressurewounds, but they're a little too roundwound-y. So, can anyone recommend some halfrounds that have some flatwound thump, but a little touch of roundwound brightness?

I never tried them on that HB, but I love Ken Smith "Slickrounds."

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Scarf posted:

I never tried them on that HB, but I love Ken Smith "Slickrounds."

I took a look at them on Bass Strings Online, and they do look intriguing. I'll give them a shot, thanks!

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

So, I'm thinking about changing up my bass rig, namely my cabinet. My head is a SWR Bass 350, plugged into a 1980's era Carvin 2x15. It's been a real trooper, and never gave me any problems outside of some rattling, but the rig altogether just doesn't have as much perceived power as I'd like for all of it's size and weight. That cabinet weighs roughly 90 pounds, and while that's not a 6x10 or even an 8x10, I'd at least be getting more potential bang for the pound-buck.

I'm currently looking at two cabinets on Craigslist.
One is a Low Down Sound 2x12 with two additional 6" speakers for high end instead of tweeters and two ports; it's got casters installed but it's hardly necessary because its got neodymium speakers so it's more like 65 pounds. They retailed $900 and a guy is selling it for $400.
The other is a 4x10 manufactured by a dead company called Alumabass. My guess is the speakers are stamped aluminum (hence the name) so it's probably pretty drat loud, and pretty drat heavy. Buuuuut, it's $55.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Jeff Goldblum posted:

So, I'm thinking about changing up my bass rig, namely my cabinet. My head is a SWR Bass 350, plugged into a 1980's era Carvin 2x15. It's been a real trooper, and never gave me any problems outside of some rattling, but the rig altogether just doesn't have as much perceived power as I'd like for all of it's size and weight. That cabinet weighs roughly 90 pounds, and while that's not a 6x10 or even an 8x10, I'd at least be getting more potential bang for the pound-buck.

One is a Low Down Sound 2x12 with two additional 6" speakers for high end instead of tweeters and two ports; it's got casters installed but it's hardly necessary because its got neodymium speakers so it's more like 65 pounds. They retailed $900 and a guy is selling it for $400.
The other is a 4x10 manufactured by a dead company called Alumabass. My guess is the speakers are stamped aluminum (hence the name) so it's probably pretty drat loud, and pretty drat heavy. Buuuuut, it's $55.

Low Down for sure, if it's between just those two. Neo speakers are great, and I really dig my 212.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

55 bucks for a 4x10 cab alone is worth it if it's decently built, even if the speakers are trash.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

CaseFace McGee posted:

Low Down for sure, if it's between just those two. Neo speakers are great, and I really dig my 212.

pointlessone posted:

55 bucks for a 4x10 cab alone is worth it if it's decently built, even if the speakers are trash.

Yeah, I have some doubts about the speakers. Most of the Alumabass pictures had these sort of bronzed looking speaker cones whereas this ad has gray (maybe metallic) cones, could just be a model discrepancy.
And, yes, for $55 there's really no reason not to take it because the guy selling it is obviously just trying to get rid of something that nobody is actively pursuing. There is pretty much no conversation nor listings for this company online, what little I've found seems to praise the cabs as being good alternatives to SWR and Eden cabinets of the day (late 90s'). However, from what I understand, the cabinet is sinfully heavy. Most people complain about it non specifically, but then I found a French review that listed it as being over 40kg. That's about the same weight as my Carvin. I can lift it, easily, but it only adds to the appeal of the LDS as the way to go.

I may end up seeing the Alumabass guy today, the LDS is scheduled to be checked out on Saturday. If its as heavy as I'm thinking it is, though, I may end up passing on the Alumabass. Although, I had the thought that I might end up buying bothEVERYTHING and trying to sell the Carvin and Alumabass to any struggling musicians in my Facebook.

Edit: Alumabass was a bust, at least ten or twenty pounds heavier than the Carvin and in spite of it being so cheap (because it's original owner is in prison now?) I can't in good conscience put the wear on my car. I'll have to let someone with a better back and road van know about it. In the meantime, I will get hype for the LDS

Double edit: worth the hype

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 3, 2015

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My Squier CV P-Bass has 'broken' again - about five times now, essentially no signal whatsoever. It was working perfectly the last time I put it on my stand, and how it has gone quiet again. Over the course of various attempts to permanently fix this (which ultimately fail), I have replaced all wiring between the jack and the pickups, insulated the inside faces of body rout around the jack socket. No doubt it will be something along the same lines as before - a cold soldier joint, or some pinched cable that's shorted out. The question is - how many times do I take this bastard apart before I just hand it over to a luthier?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I would have ditched it after you replaced everything and it still wouldn't work.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The annoying thing is that it must be something - it's no black magic - but I am rapidly losing patience. Might it be worth getting a prewired pick guard?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
bad mojo, man. get rid of it

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 3, 2015

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

The annoying thing is that it must be something - it's no black magic - but I am rapidly losing patience. Might it be worth getting a prewired pick guard?

Maybe a problem in the wiring coming off the pickup itself?

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

Southern Heel posted:

My Squier CV P-Bass has 'broken' again

A Good Username posted:

Maybe a problem in the wiring coming off the pickup itself?

Yeah, since p-bass pickups are wired in series, maybe it's something IN one of the pickups themselves?
This is probably a silly question, but you're trying this and getting the same result with different cables and amp right?

Southern Heel posted:

The question is - how many times do I take this bastard apart before I just hand it over to a luthier?

3 more times :science:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean if you've replaced everything between the pickups and the jack, it's probably one of the two things you haven't replaced :v:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have also replaced the jack! But OK, I guess I can double check the pickups themselves and the wiring - I've got a voltmeter so should be able to establish what's going wrong where. If it fails, I'm going to put a coil split Musicman humbucker and an active fuzz circuit or something.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

I have also replaced the jack! But OK, I guess I can double check the pickups themselves and the wiring - I've got a voltmeter so should be able to establish what's going wrong where. If it fails, I'm going to put a coil split Musicman humbucker and an active fuzz circuit or something.

If you do go to your fallback, the Bazz Fuss is a good small circuit that sounds great.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
Anyone of you know a decent line bass tuner app or line tuner online I can use?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

My Squier CV P-Bass has 'broken' again - about five times now, essentially no signal whatsoever. It was working perfectly the last time I put it on my stand, and how it has gone quiet again. Over the course of various attempts to permanently fix this (which ultimately fail), I have replaced all wiring between the jack and the pickups, insulated the inside faces of body rout around the jack socket. No doubt it will be something along the same lines as before - a cold soldier joint, or some pinched cable that's shorted out. The question is - how many times do I take this bastard apart before I just hand it over to a luthier?

Unless you're an excellent wiring/soldering tech, then you should at least see what a repairman says. Problems like you describe are usually related to the wiring, and if you're the one mucking about in it, and you're not an expert, you might be fixing stuff that ain't broke and not addressing stuff that is. I'm not saying you're not an expert, by the way, because I don't know. You mention insulating the inside of the body cavities--the lack of insulation there never causes silence. It only causes more noise. If you've shorted your "hot" to this ground, then you get total silence.

First, make sure it's the instrument. You could have a poo poo cable or a problem with your amp. Try different cables and amps. If it is indeed the instrument, take it to be repaired. Wiring problems are fixable. At worst, you may have a wiring issue at the pickup itself, as someone noted, and that may require replacement of the pickups. On a Squier, that's not too costly, and it's a great opportunity to upgrade anyway.

There are problems that would make me want to ditch an instrument. Neck problems that can't be fixed, or that don't stay fixed, come to mind. Wiring is one of those things that can always be fixed.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks guys, I took it apart again and it looks like the lack of a star-nut on the tone pot was causing that bitch to twist on a dry solder connection - I've got it soldered up tight now, and it's going well so far. I appreciate the happy feelings. If it goes wrong again, then I'm definitely taking it to a tech as you suggest.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Me playing an Ibanez SRF705 poorly.

Can't exactly get a feel for the dang thing in an Instagram video but it will make all manner of neat sounds in more capable hands.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

What's a decent amp for potentially in the future playing on stage? I'm budgeting up to £300. I'm not in a band but would like a decent amp that could hold it's own.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've never gigged, but the Fender Rumble series are Gallien Kruger guts in a fender package - super light, really, really loud. I loved them, personally.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I was looking at that series. I wasn't sure if 100W was loud enough, would have to drop a bit more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

100W is plenty loud with a reasonable speaker set up.