Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

As an addendum to my previious post re: losing a lot, strike that. I just unlocked the New Mexico and holy balls, I'm not used to guns that actually put rounds where I aim them. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

cheese posted:

I honestly would have bought one of those packs but its a joke that they gave the EU both the credit and XP bonus flags, but not the NA server. gently caress em.

EU server always gets a nicer version of what we get. I remember a special in World of Tanks last year where the EU server had a mission which was like, do 1000 damage or kill two tanks or something and you get 50.000 credits every match for that minimal amount of effort. What did we get? Double XP for crews for the same thing, I believe. I was fuming all day long in the thread. If it wasn't for the delay and the occasional foreign language in chat that I'm unable to understand, I would actually consider making an EU account for wargaming games, just because of the insane bias they have towards the EU servers.

TehKeen posted:

As an addendum to my previious post re: losing a lot, strike that. I just unlocked the New Mexico and holy balls, I'm not used to guns that actually put rounds where I aim them. :stare:

New Mexico is a beast. The guns have really nice dispersion and it has crazy amounts of armor. I have never seen a New Mexico get citadeled and I probably never will.

I mean, the outside strips on top of the waterline range from 203 to 343(!) millimeters, the barbettes protecting the magazines are 303 millimeters, topside you would need to punch successively through various layers of armor ranging from 16, 70 and 150 millimeters, not counting all the rest of the garbage on top of the ship that could stop the shells. And just in case you punch through the torpedo bulges AND the 343 millimeters of armor, there's still another 115 millimeters of armor inside the ship protecting the citadel from broadsides.

I think you would literally need the Yamato's guns to punch through a New Mexico. Such is the fearsome ability of that ship to take AP shells and not give a poo poo about them. Citadeling a Colorado? Okay. North Carolina? No problem. I've even punched through an Iowa once or twice. New Mexico? Impossible.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^ I did actually get dreadnought the first game I played, and it was a T8 uptiered game. :xd: I've got the range and engine upgrades now, currently working on the hulls. :)

On a side note, does anyone know a place to preview the different hull models? I really want to lose the stupid wire mesh spotting towers. They look awful. :(

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

cheese posted:

Destroyers are such a loving joke right now. Tier 6 carrier parked his fighters over my Minekaze, 50 seconds with my AA on and I finally shot one down. Literally took me out of the key part of the battle with the lowest effort.

I'm fairly sure CV's are killing the game at the moment. When it's a case of "oh god, they've got a higher tier jap carrier" and basically presuming a loss. Something is wrong.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

OSad posted:

I have never seen a New Mexico get citadeled and I probably never will.

I citadeled a New Mexico in my Kongo.

Then he fired and citadeled me 3 times and I exploded.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I won duels against Colorados in close combat with my NM because Colorados are that bad an NMs are that amazing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I've never been able to see how tough a New Mexico is because every time I try to fight one they blow me up with their extremely accurate, hard hitting, fast reloading guns.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Michaellaneous posted:

I won duels against Colorados in close combat with my NM because Colorados are that bad an NMs are that amazing.

Colorado is complete poo poo 95% of the time but god help you if you're on the receiving end during that 5%

Had what I believe to be my highest single salvo with the Colorado, though not counting detonation. Did 38-39k with 2 or 3 citadels once and it was amazing. Then I had 4 games in a row with 95-115k total damage and I thought that I might have been overly hard on the Colorado. But then the rng kept kicking me in the balls and I knew I had been right all along. Right now I feel like the ship should be called the 1240 because you will fire a salvo and all but 1 will miss and the one that hits will do all of 1240 damage. Meanwhile Clevelands and Atlantas are hitting you at max range with salvo after salvo of HE and doing 3000 damage per to you. I miss the New Mexico so much. Only 60k to go till the North Carolina, so close yet so far away.

Just Comparing my New Mexico and Colorado stats. The New Mexico stats are pretty much always better.

Accuracy being 4% higher in the Colorado can pretty much be summed up by the fact the New Mexico is throwing out 12 shells while the Colorado is only throwing 8. Yet even with the lesser accuracy the New Mexico is still out damaging the Colorado.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 3, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

OSad posted:

I think you would literally need the Yamato's guns to punch through a New Mexico. Such is the fearsome ability of that ship to take AP shells and not give a poo poo about them. Citadeling a Colorado? Okay. North Carolina? No problem. I've even punched through an Iowa once or twice. New Mexico? Impossible.
I've gotten citadel hits on New Mexicos plenty of times before in my own New Mexico, you just need to get a good flat, side shot which more and more people are learning not to do. This was before they buffed AP twice as well. Granted they might have messed with the armour in a patch since then but I'd think something important like that would be part of the patch notes. Of course this Wargaming so you never know.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

grrarg posted:

The cruiser flag bundle is not a bad deal. Most of the flags are useless for cruisers: detonation, secondary (not AA) range, and faster fire extinguishing, but 110 +20% credit flags for $9.99 is pretty good. You can only get 1 Zulu flag per day otherwise.

actually it feels like making the grind worse than tanks even with a premium account, but adding purchasable credit modifiers to compensate is a deliberate bait and switch so WG can pretty much go gently caress themselves at this point. imo they're doing different packs on EU/NA to see how much they can squeeze out of it.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I think torpedoing carriers is the single most satisfying thing in any game I've ever played. Just blew up a bitchass hosho by looping around the whole map (sinking 3 other ships in the process) and charging straight into him with engine boost.

edit: what the gently caress nobody on my team got another kill

Zo fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 3, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hazdoc posted:

Replay

If you want to know what happens, I turn a corner on a Colorado on his blind side within 5 km, ready to torp him, and then I get detonated on the very first hit from his secondaries.
I... what did I do to deserve this? WARGAMIIIIIIIIIIING

I had the exact same thing happen with me today. Detonation is the most loving bullshit part of this game. Having it happen from secondary fire is just extra insulting.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
An other horrible thing are permanently damaged guns, there's few ways to make something more unfun than that.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Does your commander only have a total of 10 skill points at max level? If so I'm gonna save for concealment on my DD commander.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Tahirovic posted:

An other horrible thing are permanently damaged guns, there's few ways to make something more unfun than that.

It wouldn't be quite as bad if there were a number of turrets with such low armoring that HE will pen and destroy them, namely 127mms (DD guns) and occasionally high tier BB HE will pen 155mms. If an AP round pens the turret, yeah, ok, casualty of combat, but getting dinked by another DD's HE and losing 2 turrets permanently? That's super dumb.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tahirovic posted:

I once had 3 out of 4 guns on my minekaze destroyed. The drop in the performance of the vessel was negligible.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Zo posted:

Does your commander only have a total of 10 skill points at max level? If so I'm gonna save for concealment on my DD commander.

19, but 15 points are used getting a level 5 skill.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

What's the goonsensus on japanese destroyers? I've got me the level 5 Minekaze, which seems ok. How are the higher tiers?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Insert name here posted:

Anyone have an Ishizuchi? I was curious how it is. I don't really care about its money making ability or whatever but it's relatively cheap and was wondering if it's worth picking up for fun times.

I don't have a Kongo, but I assume she's similar. Just shorter range, smaller guns, & probably lighter armor.

That middle turret doesn't get much use unless moving away from the target though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Freudian slippers posted:

What's the goonsensus on japanese destroyers? I've got me the level 5 Minekaze, which seems ok. How are the higher tiers?

If you can get through the Mutsuki, the rest of the line is decent. That said, the Mutsuki isn't horrible the way a Furutaka or Colorado is, it's just underperforming. One issue is it starts with 6km torpedoes base, which is really bad considering it's an IJN destroyer. Get the IJN cruiser line up to Aoba first to unlock its better torpedoes without actually grinding to them.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Fully upgraded my STL and I think I may just stick with this boat. I love getting in shooting matches with smaller cruisers and seeing how pitiful their salvo is compared to a full broadside. Makes me grin like an idiot every time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How is the Pensacola? Just saving up to afford the 5.5 million price tag. Re invested in an Omaha to grind credits, which is working out well.

Durability upgrades seem like kind of a waste. Temporarily having your AA or secondaries disabled isn't a big deal. Maybe guns on a ship with few turrets. Maybe someone could give a run down on all the different upgrades and give pros and cons to each.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Panfilo posted:

How is the Pensacola? Just saving up to afford the 5.5 million price tag. Re invested in an Omaha to grind credits, which is working out well.

Durability upgrades seem like kind of a waste. Temporarily having your AA or secondaries disabled isn't a big deal. Maybe guns on a ship with few turrets. Maybe someone could give a run down on all the different upgrades and give pros and cons to each.

The Pepsicola is a good and fun ship and everyone who says otherwise has bad opinions.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Michaellaneous posted:

The Pepsicola is a good and fun ship and everyone who says otherwise has bad opinions.

To build on this, it's got great guns and AA, but the ship itself is made of paper. Clevelands can citadel it.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Michaellaneous posted:

The only problem with the Pensacola is that by the time you get to it via normal grinding you have forgotten how to play CAs not named Cleveland and have to learn the Phoenix play style all over again.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Hagop posted:

The only problem with the Pensacola is that by the time you get to it via normal grinding you have forgotten how to play CAs not named Cleveland and have to learn the Phoenix play style all over again.

Maybe part of this is due to Cleveland's floaty shells, especially when your range is upgraded. But I won't miss it, I want guns with a flatter, faster trajectory. Stat wise Pensacola seems worse than Cleveland in a lot of categories but perhaps due to stock hull?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Get the IJN cruiser line up to Aoba first to unlock its better torpedoes without actually grinding to them.

I completely forgot that was a thing in these games. I guess there is a lot less overlap, since the guns are almost always mounted differently, and the engines and fire control units are different.

Trip report after one round in the STL aiming for the waterline with AP: I double citadeled an Albany. No luck on the tenryu though. Is the citadel higher on those?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Uhh I need some help after a rude awakening with the Furutaka.

Its a bizzarre mixture of fast straight line speed coupled with positively glacial turning, turret rotation and reload times. An absolutely massive change from the Kuma.

What the gently caress are you supposed to do with this thing?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Skip it :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

A more serious answer is that you have to use it almost like a battleship, but one that can be citadelled by basically anything within its tier. I really want an Aoba, might just get free XP to go right through the Furutaka though because it was a pain in CBT and even a bigger pain now in OBT.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

Zero Gravitas posted:

Its a bizzarre mixture of fast straight line speed coupled with positively glacial turning, turret rotation and reload times. An absolutely massive change from the Kuma.

I got through it by using free xp to unlock the last hull and skipping both the range and gun upgrades. I also flew the +50% xp flags. Fire AP at most other cruisers and pray for citadels. Aoba is worth it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've finally fully upgraded my Myogi. Now I just need to slam my dick in the door enough to get the Kongo.

Also, I had a moment this morning where I was at 203 HP, I'd slammed into an island trying to avoid torpedoes, and I was losing Destroyer Thunderdome to another Isokaze. I took one last shot at him to give him a parting wound, and wham, Detonation, blew his entire boat to hell. Poor guy, he'd won that fight fair and square and then the RNG just said 'Nope, get hosed'.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
Furutaka is hot garbage. Mathematically proven to be among the worst ships in the game (going by XP per game). The only thing it has going for it is 203's at a tier where US CLs and DDs have guns half that size. Play it like a sniper...it's not a brawler. Free XP is a mercy here, and as Mahas said, the Aoba is a beauty.

IJN cruisers in general pretty much just keep getting better and better. The Aoba is great, the Myoko is great (in fact used to be the tier 8), the Mogami is incredible (do NOT take off those 155s!). Ibuki is a super-Myoko that can self-repair and has better armor, and the Zao is a super-charged fuckmachine. The Zao's shell velocity will make any other ship's guns feel like they're blowing bubbles. Also Zao's torps do *76* knots, it gets dual 5x launchers on each side, and oh yeah they do 20k+ damage.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Zero Gravitas posted:

Just to reiterate how garbage the Furutaka is I've had shots that missed on me but still disabled the rudder or destroyed something else.

I'm getting increasingly convinced the hit boxes are outside the armor and maybe even outside the model of the ship.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Thought the Zao had 2 launchers that could hit either side, or are the centerline looking ones slightly off center?

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Thought the Zao had 2 launchers that could hit either side, or are the centerline looking ones slightly off center?

Just like the 3-4 IJN cruisers leading up to the Zao, it has 2 launchers per side -- for a total of 4 launchers.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I don't find the Furutaka that bad once you get both turret rotation upgrades. It's at tier 5 which is one of the densest tier ranges in the game. The worst you have to deal with is the occasional Cleveland division, and the Cleveland's shots are still slow enough that you can turn your rear end away from them and dodge their shots pretty reliably.

It does need a buff though. Maybe a third option for a hull which removes one of the turrets but makes the rest of them turn significantly faster and gives you an extra torp launcher on each side of the ship.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Everybody owes it to themselves to give the japanese destroyers a try. They're seriously Good poo poo™

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The Furutaka does tend to hit hard if you manage to citadel someone. That's the one advantage it does have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Zero Gravitas posted:

Stay at range, use constant half rudder turns (q & e) to zig-zag maneuver, ripple fire your single guns onto target. This stops your turning out-tracking your guns, keeps decent speed, and also throws opponents aiming off because they grow to expect sharp full rudder turns. Only really use torps to get people to back off if they try to come in under your ability to track targets.

Pick on, phoenix & omahas who are really susceptible to 8" AP.

Man I wish the game had a non-toggle key binding for half-rudder.