Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Oh, I forgot the craziest part of those games-- everyone I know who's both rich and has kids has a story of a night where their kid spent thousands of dollars in one of those games and they didn't file anything with iTunes. They just paid the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

With regard to freemium games, I thought the South Park episode about it pretty on point. Their latest season has actually been spot on criticism of popular culture, IMO.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Cockmaster posted:

And it apparently never occurred to him that any sort of criminal prosecution would only make it harder to persuade the government to let him stay here.

On the other hand, a transgression large enough will allow the person not only to stay in the country but have their meals and lodging paid for by that very same government that was previously trying to get rid of them!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

On the other hand, a transgression large enough will allow the person not only to stay in the country but have their meals and lodging paid for by that very same government that was previously trying to get rid of them!

#lifehacks

Getting deported is bad news; it not only gets you barred from re-entry for a set amount of time (I think 5 or 10 years in the US?), but on other countries' visa applications there is often a blank that asks whether or not you've ever been deported from a foreign country before. Not sure how serious they take it or if they can follow up on it easily, but I think the implication is that if you've messed up before, you'll probably do it again, so why let you in in the first place?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Cockmaster posted:

Are these people competing to see how evil they can be without breaking any laws?

Yes. It's called "capitalism."

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
So who here is an iOS/Android dev who wants to help me make a freemium game aimed at dogs? We'll be rich!

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Super Dan posted:

Yes. It's called "capitalism."

Also, they're totally okay with breaking laws if they end up making more money than governments will fine them.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Blinkman987 posted:

Oh, I forgot the craziest part of those games-- everyone I know who's both rich and has kids has a story of a night where their kid spent thousands of dollars in one of those games and they didn't file anything with iTunes. They just paid the bill.

Now that I think about it. that's probably the only logical explanation for how they can make a healthy profit selling to kids without the parents coming after them with pitchforks and torches.

And you know how some freemium games make it possible, yet grossly tedious, to accumulate resources without paying (as a fig leaf to justify the "free to play" thing)? Someone also built a Lego robot to automate that for Clash of Clans (among other basic functions):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFgO-C2TAV8

A robot that plays computer games for you might look like almost as frivolous a purchase as the in-game purchases it's meant to avoid, but at least you're not rewarding the developers for their wanton greed. Plus you're learning a little something about robotics.

I wonder if it could be programmed to play the MyVegas game where you earn Vegas-related rewards for playing slots and blackjack.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Remember the factories in China where employees would play WoW all day to sell items? Then after doing that for like 10 hours, they would go home and...

...play World of Warcraft for fun?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Blackjack2000 posted:

Remember the factories in China where employees would play WoW all day to sell items? Then after doing that for like 10 hours, they would go home and...

...play World of Warcraft for fun?
Nobody works less than 12 hours a day in China, you must be mistaken.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
My brother-in-law could be a Bad With Money Thread Hall of Famer. In the last six months (!!) he has taken the following trips: Alaskan Cruise, New York, San Diego, Phoenix, San Francisco, Eugene, Portland, Seattle, Lake Tahoe, and Tampa (x2). That is some serious jet-setting and living the "baller" lifestyle- except for the fact that he hasn't had a job in 18 months, he is attending an expensive private graduate school, he lives in downtown LA in a $1500/mo furnished room with two roommates, he has $80k in defaulted medical debt, and he eats out every single day.

His school doesn't fund him at all, so of course he is taking tons of student loans (after he had zero dollars in debt from undergrad!) to not only fund school but for flying all over the continental US. I have no idea how he even gets that much money in student loans to travel considering his tuition and fees alone are at least $60k/year, and his living expenses have to at least be ~$3k/month. The fact that he still has enough leftover money from student loans to do all that crazy travelling is mind boggling.

I know he doesn't have credit cards since his medical debt ruined his credit. I know he doesn't get any money from the family as his family are mostly working class first-generation immigrants (who moved here so their kids can get a "great" US education) who couldn't afford to help him. The only people in the family in a position to help him are my wife and I, and he has never asked us for money. The only help we've provided is co-signing his apartment with the stipulation that he pay his entire semester's rent at the beginning of the semester and send us the receipt (he has been good with doing this so far).

I'm terrified for him when he gets done with school as his degree is in an industry that is staggeringly difficult to enter and he will have at least $200k in debt. I know he can file bankruptcy to discharge the medical debt (he has no assets besides his 10 year old beater car), but that student loan will hover over him for 20+ years.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 3, 2015

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

an adult beverage posted:

My brother-in-law could be a Bad With Money Thread Hall of Famer. In the last six months (!!) he has taken the following trips: Alaskan Cruise, New York, San Diego, Phoenix, San Francisco, Eugene, Portland, Seattle, Lake Tahoe, and Tampa (x2). That is some serious jet-setting and living the "baller" lifestyle- except for the fact that he hasn't had a job in 18 months, he is attending an expensive private graduate school, he lives in downtown LA in a $1500/mo furnished room with two roommates, he has $80k in defaulted medical debt, and he eats out every single day.

His school doesn't fund him at all, so of course he is taking tons of student loans (after he had zero dollars in debt from undergrad!) to not only fund school but for flying all over the continental US. I have no idea how he even gets that much money in student loans to travel considering his tuition and fees alone are at least $60k/year, and his living expenses have to at least be ~$3k/month. The fact that he still has enough leftover money from student loans to do all that crazy travelling is mind boggling.

I know he doesn't have credit cards since his medical debt ruined his credit. I know he doesn't get any money from the family as his family are mostly working class first-generation immigrants (who moved here so their kids can get a "great" US education) who couldn't afford to help him. The only people in the family in a position to help him are my wife and I, and he has never asked us for money. The only help we've provided is co-signing his apartment with the stipulation that he pay his entire semester's rent at the beginning of the semester and send us the receipt (he has been good with doing this so far).

I'm terrified for him when he gets done with school as his degree is in an industry that is staggeringly difficult to enter and he will have at least $200k in debt. I know he can file bankruptcy to discharge the medical debt (he has no assets besides his 10 year old beater car), but that student loan will hover over him for 20+ years.

:catdrugs:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Yeah, your BiL is probably either doing something illegal or mooching off a well-to-do friend/SO. Student loans don't go quite that far, especially for someone with ruined credit.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Your Brother in Law sells drugs, hope this helps

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Hey now, let's not jump to conclusions. He could be involved in human trafficking. That would also explain the jet-setting to such a random sampling of places.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Hey now, let's not jump to conclusions. He could be involved in human trafficking. That would also explain the jet-setting to such a random sampling of places.

But for that he would be going to eastern Europe and Asia, not the US. It's definitely drugs. Although he might just be a mule.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I like the folks in this thread that are so quick to parrot "luddites" at people when they're concerned about technological unemployment in the future, especially the deafening silence that follows when we ask "so you really believe all truck drivers are going to learn to be robot programmers?"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Well what do you want to do about it? Get the 97% of the US not employed in truck driving/support/logistics to agree not to advance technology for the good of the truck drivers? And if you put it off for ten years and there are still lots of people not working on marketable skills in a field with a better outlook, do you just keep getting everyone to agree to that?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

Well what do you want to do about it? Get the 97% of the US not employed in truck driving/support/logistics to agree not to advance technology for the good of the truck drivers? And if you put it off for ten years and there are still lots of people not working on marketable skills in a field with a better outlook, do you just keep getting everyone to agree to that?

I want the massive gains in productivity from automatization to go towards everyone having their basic needs covered and everyone needing to work 10h weeks. Instead of, you know, them going towards the 11th golden hull yatch for the Koch brothers.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

I like the folks in this thread that are so quick to parrot "luddites" at people when they're concerned about technological unemployment in the future, especially the deafening silence that follows when we ask "so you really believe all truck drivers are going to learn to be robot programmers?"

You could have said that about carriage drivers, or switchboard operators, or telegraph operators, or the 90% of Americans who were farmers at one point

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Of all the industries that will be automated, driving is the one most likely to result in literal saved human lives from car accidents. Cars are extremely dangerous and humans do not operate them rationally. Obviously we have to consider what happens to those who are displaced, but self-driving cars and trucks will be a godsend for human safety.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
All of my elderly aunts have had the answer to technological unemployment for years - "why don't you just do something with computers?"

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nail Rat posted:

No? Who said that? My point was that people need some way to provide for themselves. That will be more difficult in the future.

Series DD Funding posted:

You could have said that about carriage drivers, or switchboard operators, or telegraph operators, or the 90% of Americans who were farmers at one point

Please list the positions that unemployed, older truck drivers would transition to, since the solution seems so obvious to you. Walmart greeter?

There are important differences between America today and in the past. Surely you're familiar with some of the differences. This simplistic view also ignores that people will probably be transitioning from a good job (over the road trucking for example) to a poo poo job (call center worker, Walmart greeter).

Or are you really relying on an unanalyzed "things were OK in the past, therefore, they will be in the future" kind of viewpoint? The difference is that, today, technology replaces jobs. In the past, technology amplified the productivity of any one job. That's the transition and why a simple appeal to Luddites and the faith that unskilled workers will become robot programmers is silly.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 3, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They'd transition into nothing. Or being a handyman. Whatever the gently caress.

There's a reason that people are seeing a need for a guaranteed basic income.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Man, I'm sure glad we're having this discussion about unemployment in this here bad with money thread.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

Please list the positions that unemployed, older truck drivers would transition to, since the solution seems so obvious to you. Walmart greeter?

Pick anything out of the BLS chart of jobs. At least one displaced truck driver will probably be working it

quote:

There are important differences between America today and in the past. Surely you're familiar with some of the differences.

What, like the greatly increased standard of living? Absolutely

quote:

This simplistic view also ignores that people will probably be transitioning from a good job (over the road trucking for example) to a poo poo job (call center worker, Walmart greeter).

Some of them will, and I'm not ignoring that. At least not any more than you're ignoring saved lives from having machines drive trucks instead of people

quote:

Or are you really relying on an unanalyzed "things were OK in the past, therefore, they will be in the future" kind of viewpoint? The difference is that, today, technology replaces jobs. In the past, technology amplified the productivity of any one job. That's the transition and why a simple appeal to Luddites and the faith that unskilled workers will become robot programmers is silly.

Wrong. On a job-for-job basis, robot programmers are far more productive than truck drivers. Your complaint is based on the unsupported assertion that jobs will be destroyed without creating new ones

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Dawncloack posted:

I want the massive gains in productivity from automatization to go towards everyone having their basic needs covered and everyone needing to work 10h weeks. Instead of, you know, them going towards the 11th golden hull yatch for the Koch brothers.

Without technology, you'd be taking the slow stagecoach to Crazytown instead of a fast train.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

an adult beverage posted:

In the last six months (!!) he has taken the following trips: Alaskan Cruise, New York, San Diego, Phoenix, San Francisco, Eugene, Portland, Seattle, Lake Tahoe, and Tampa (x2).

lol who goes to Phoenix for fun.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

High Lord Elbow posted:

Without technology, you'd be taking the slow stagecoach to Crazytown instead of a fast train.

Haha yeah, those broken psycho nutters and their basic empathy for other people.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Series DD Funding posted:

Wrong. On a job-for-job basis, robot programmers are far more productive than truck drivers. Your complaint is based on the unsupported assertion that jobs will be destroyed without creating new ones

Actually the unsupported assertion is that displaced workers will be able to find something else. You need far fewer robot programmers than drivers since, to your absolutely correct point, they are far more productive on a per capita basis. "It happened in the past" isn't a meaningful assertion.

We're using truck drivers as a proxy for all unskilled and semi-skilled labor, if you hadn't noticed. Many lives will be saved by automated trucks and we clearly need to proceed in that direction. That doesn't mean we shouldn't look at what's going to happen to top 3 most common job when it disappears.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

Haha yeah, those broken psycho nutters and their basic empathy for other people.

Dude is either a troll or a psychopath. A basic desire for everyone to get a better life is liberal nonsense obvs.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Armacham posted:

Spring training? Golfing? That's all I got.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Armacham posted:

tuberculosis patients

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Armacham posted:

Denverites who like to visit AZ to watch the Rockies play the D-Backs/Nuggets-Suns.

Gordon Ramsey fans who want to see Amy's Baking Company in person.

We're trying to get my manager in Phoenix to approve me and the other person she manages in Denver to approve us spending a week in Phoenix this winter to collaborate with the rest of the team in person. Mostly to take a week away from the snow and cold here in January. That would be kind of fun, mostly to get out of the cold for a bit. Also free plane flight, rental car, hotel room, and a decent per diem.

Outside of that, I got nothing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Radbot posted:

Actually the unsupported assertion is that displaced workers will be able to find something else. You need far fewer robot programmers than drivers since, to your absolutely correct point, they are far more productive on a per capita basis. "It happened in the past" isn't a meaningful assertion.
In the very long run robots will probably take all our jobs, yes. I haven't seen any convincing evidence that that has happened yet, though.

The way it works is that robots take over truck driving jobs. This doesn't just displace truck drivers, it also drives down the cost of transportation via truck. If the market is competitive (and I haven't read anything about trucking to indicate that it isn't) those cost reductions will get passed down to consumers. Those consumers will, likely without even realizing it, spend the saved money on other things. The increased revenue in those other industries will create new demand for workers.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Barry posted:

Spring training? Golfing? That's all I got.

Nailed it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Come on guys, whose going to teach these robots how to drive? Truck drivers, that's who.

This kind of a huge economic shift is going to take a long time to fully implement. It's not like a 100,000 typewriter repairmen suddenly woke up one morning unemployed. It took decades to fully disappear. Existing truck drivers will retire and fewer new truck drivers will enter the workforce until the economic consequences of going fully driverless is pretty anti-climatic.

Now, the impact on Lot Lizards - that's going to be tough for our economy to bounce back from.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The first robot to choose on its own to visit a human prostitute will be a landmark societal achievement

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
But if you want a really good one you'll have to learn a foreign language. German, for instance. A lot of really cute ones come from over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Won't somebody please think of the lot lizards? :cry:

• Locked thread