Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SRM posted:

Every time I see more FExSMT stuff I just think "this is not for me, but I can tell it's for somebody"

Me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

SRM posted:

Every time I see more FExSMT stuff I just think "this is not for me, but I can tell it's for somebody"
I've played a few fire emblem games, and a few rythym games (Rock Band and Harmoknight, those count, right?) I am so insanely hyped for this, even though I'm not sure if I will like the gameplay at all.

Only atlus game I played was SMT IV, which I couldn't get into. I do think I could get into EO, but I'll probably wait till after I finish Xenoblade to do that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

The rate at which Atlus turned the Fire Emblem / SMT crossover into a weird rhythm game with absurd amount of anime is astounding THE AWESOME GHOST for, you see, Sega was the one who decided on this direction for the game that has been in development for the last three years. Sega, not Atlus. It's astounding and everyone said it would happen. Someone save Atlus, they would never do this on their own! :rolleyes:

Uh it's pretty clear the direction ATLUS have gone in recently is different, between having Persona 4 be a dancing game and a fanservice P3/P4 crossover and entirely dumping the SMT branding in general. It's not specifically about SMTxFE, which btw was "in development for 3 years" as pretty much something entirely different from the little they used to show and was basically cancelled and redone as an anime game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
You should look up when Persona 4 Arena was released.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Persona series never had the SMT prefix in Japan, and they started dropping it in the West with the first Arena game. The Devil Survivor 2 port came out this year and still carried the prefix.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 3, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Uh it's pretty clear the direction ATLUS have gone in recently is different, between having Persona 4 be a dancing game and a fanservice P3/P4 crossover and entirely dumping the SMT branding in general. It's not specifically about SMTxFE, which btw was "in development for 3 years" as pretty much something entirely different from the little they used to show and was basically cancelled and redone as an anime game

No, it's not been "pretty clear". Atlus had planned for more Persona 4 spinoffs after P4 Arena was a major success in Japan for them -- things that were decided before Sega came into the picture. The only thing that changed within Atlus was that if Sega had not stopped by and acquired the company before Index filed for bankruptcy due to all the frauds they had committed over the years, there would be no more Atlus. Their employees would be in the gutter, their IPs sold piece by piece like THQ.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

elf help book posted:

You should look up when Persona 4 Arena was released.

P4 Arena is allowed cuz P4 is basically Jojos and the P4 fighting game is basically the jojos fighting game

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

So Sega did a good thing for once.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hate the P4 spinoffs except the ones I like.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

See this is what I thought at first but it's gotten so crazy-looking I kinda can't help but be interested.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What are you basing this on? Because nothing the director has said points to it, and when they released that first teaser literally no work had been done on the game and they didn't even have a team assembled yet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah there was no information at all about how SMT vs. FE would play until it was revealed in detail as a game about anime music saving the universe, which looks ridiculous and fun even if it is unexpected. Gamers and the press reasonably assumed it would be a strategy/RPG type game because of how SMT and FE normally roll but nothing was ever officially said or even hinted at to that extent.

The initial teaser trailers were just logos and "TWO FRANCHISES TOGETHER AT LAST!" type hype stuff with no information otherwise. It was in fact considered vaporware by some until the actual reveal because it was announced so early.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They didn't even have concept art, it was just the two logos side by side.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Strange Quark posted:

The Persona series never had the SMT prefix in Japan, and they started dropping it in the West with the first Arena game. The Devil Survivor 2 port came out this year and still carried the prefix.

Devil Survivor keeps the same demon's classes.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 3, 2015

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Calaveron posted:

But that's the song they are singing in that previously linked video.

Really?!

I can't hear it... :negative:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

greatn posted:

They didn't even have concept art, it was just the two logos side by side.

Why do crossover trailers in Japan always have the + dramatically turn into an X?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

P4 is basically Jojos

shut up human being

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Why do crossover trailers in Japan always have the + dramatically turn into an X?
They read it "cross", like crossover or maybe the cross product of two beautiful anime franchises.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

homeless snail posted:

They read it "cross", like crossover or maybe the cross product of two beautiful anime franchises.

Then you're left asking how two beautiful animes can have such an ugly baby.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Then you're left asking how two beautiful animes can have such an ugly baby.
FE x SMT looks good, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

#FE is going to be GOTY 2016 actually, as stated before

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Really?!

I can't hear it... :negative:

It sounds like the lyrics aren't in Inkling language anymore, but it's definitely the same song. It's a little hard to hear over the talking.

I kind of hope there's also the Splatfest plaza song too. Just for the awkward hops in the dance.

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 3, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's an umpteen-hour jrpg, not an eight-hour shooter. What you're seeing now very likely has taken most of that three years to put together.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

#FE is going to be GOTY 2016 actually, as stated before

Except in glorious Nippon where it will be GOTY 2015.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Junpei Hyde posted:

Except in glorious Nippon where it will be GOTY 2015.

It can be GOTY for as many years as it wants.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Unrelated to anything, but I have a serious question.

Why is the Kirby: Rainbow Curse soundtrack so goddamned amazing?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm about 1/2 through SMB3 now. I can't say I like it much. I do see how it pretty much laid the outline for all future Mario games. I just don't like the controls. Mario sliding everywhere gets annoying fast.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm about 1/2 through SMB3 now. I can't say I like it much. I do see how it pretty much laid the outline for all future Mario games. I just don't like the controls. Mario sliding everywhere gets annoying fast.

:dogbutton: Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of the greatest games ever made.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Momentum is more of a factor than in World or later titles, but I've never really found it an issue in 3.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

homeless snail posted:

There are more polygons in one of tifa's breasts than an entire minecraft character, and also more polygons than the rest of the non-boob parts of Tifa.

minecraft characters have like 8 polygons and three joints so

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

TVs Ian posted:

It sounds like the lyrics aren't in Inkling language anymore, but it's definitely the same song. It's a little hard to hear over the talking.

I kind of hope there's also the Splatfest plaza song too. Just for the awkward hops in the dance.

It's not actually the same song but it does have a remarkably similar segment. I can tell it's not the same though because I keep expecting the final part of the chorus and it never plays and it annoys me immensely.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

codenameFANGIO posted:

:dogbutton: Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of the greatest games ever made.

I can not enjoy it, though. I didn't say it was a bad game.

I know it is a GOAT. But in this day and age I don't like it.

I liked SMB2 more.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Devil Survivor keeps the same demon's classes.

That's because Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner, and Persona are in the same setting. :D

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

shut up human being

?????

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They should start calling them all REVELATIONS: _______ again for maximum US nerd rage.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Waltzing Along posted:

I liked SMB2 more.

Obvious troll.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ddogflex posted:

Obvious troll.

SMB3 is amazing and is my favorite of the three NES games but come on, SMB2 is great and I can easily see why someone would like it more.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't mind SMT getting a bit more anime because Nocturne still exists and I can still play it and its art style is still excellent. Things change, but the future doesn't overwrite the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

SMB3 is way too long

• Locked thread