Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

No UFOs yet, I keep forgetting that's a thing that exists. I was gonna do pumpkins and frost next and then try the pillars, but now that you've reminded me I'll keep an eye for alien probes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

RareAcumen posted:

It can't possibly be worse than TF2's coding can it? :ohdear:

That depends on whether or not TF2's coding stores all the items in the game in a single nested if-else chain. All 3000+ of them.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

I Said No posted:

That depends on whether or not TF2's coding stores all the items in the game in a single nested if-else chain. All 3000+ of them.

:catstare:

What the gently caress?!

Why?!

gently caress Terraria 2, Otherworld, or whatever else you're going to do next, Redigit, you can't call the game "complete" with this idiocy, go back and fix it!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Supremezero posted:

gently caress Terraria 2, Otherworld, or whatever else you're going to do next, Redigit, you can't call the game "complete" with this idiocy

I don't see why not :unsmigghh:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

I Said No posted:

Holy loving poo poo. There's no way. :psyduck:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Bluemillion posted:

Holy loving poo poo. There's no way. :psyduck:

IIRC the entire game is this. Every single thing. Including containers, including your own inventory, enemy AI, water flow, all of it.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Supremezero posted:

... how is "Goes crazy if you leave the area where you summon him" unintuitive when Plantera already did the same thing. And when Skeletron Prime used to do the same thing.

The ocean is tiny in comparison. It's really easy to enrage him by accident. It's a lot less likely to happen with Plantera unless you're actively trying to leave the jungle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SirDan3k posted:

Apparently a lot of people thought "if you leave the ocean" meant the actual ocean and that you had to do the fight while swimming.

Even if that was the case minecarts and merman work just fine underwater. :getin:

I Said No posted:

That's terrifyingly impressive in that it exists and the game still manages to work.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Crimson Harvest posted:

IIRC the entire game is this. Every single thing. Including containers, including your own inventory, enemy AI, water flow, all of it.

I c-can't deal with it!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NyxStudios/TerrariaAPI-Server/general-devel/Terraria/Item.cs

This is based on decompiled code but .NET is pretty accurate when it comes to decompilation.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
So I love Terraria and I've played it approximately a million times over the previous few updates, along with several mods.

I just got 1.3 and am going to do a vanilla run, starting from scratch. Any huge tips I should know going into it?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mune posted:

So I love Terraria and I've played it approximately a million times over the previous few updates, along with several mods.

I just got 1.3 and am going to do a vanilla run, starting from scratch. Any huge tips I should know going into it?

fishing is OP, go run to the ocean and find the little angler kid and do fishing quests everyday and you'll end up with really good poo poo ahead of schedule

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

mune posted:

Yoyos are loving ridiculous, make sure you get a counterweight (any one of them) and a yoyo glove from the skeleton merchant if he's selling it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

mune posted:

There's new inventory slots specifically for grappling hooks, mounts, minecarts, and pets. Open them up by clicking the grappling hook icon above your armor slots.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

YF-23 posted:

Yoyos are loving ridiculous, make sure you get a counterweight (any one of them) and a yoyo glove from the skeleton merchant if he's selling it.

Does he sell it before Hard Mode? I never saw it once until we beat Wall of Flesh, after which it was permanently in his shop.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Wow, all good stuff! Thanks for the tips everyone!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Does he sell it before Hard Mode? I never saw it once until we beat Wall of Flesh, after which it was permanently in his shop.

Counterweight yes, Glove no not until hardmode

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You can now quick stack to nearby chests. Alt clicking a square of your inventory such as your healing potions prevents you from accidentally getting your healing potions sent to a box without you noticing and then getting caught without them later.

Also, there are item frames now, that can hold ANYTHING. Put an item frames with representative items in them next to chests and now you can remember what all your chests are for at a glance.

Yoyos work by holding the mouse button down.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Acne Rain posted:

Also, there are item frames now, that can hold ANYTHING. Put an item frames with representative items in them next to chests and now you can remember what all your chests are for at a glance.

Put a painting in a frame in an item frame :aaaaa:

mune
Sep 23, 2006
So, I've tried using the fishing script in the OP, which seems to work, however I can't figure out how to turn it off - F2 doesn't work, ESC doesn't work. It's really quite annoying.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Guy who wanted to know about hardmode melee viability without using yoyos: Do Flails count in the same way as Yoyos, or are we talking Swords/Spears Only? You can fish a decent (beam-shooting) sword from the crimson/corruption, farm some hallowed crystals and get a phaseblade, or (if Flails), go punch some mummies and make a Dao of Pow

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Every map has a few Enchanted Sword shrines now, you can spot them by looking for a one block wide shaft beginning at or a few blocks below the surface. Some of the shrines will have fakes but there's always an Enchanted Sword on the map. There's also a chance you'll receive a new low level sword I forget the name of.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Archenteron posted:

Guy who wanted to know about hardmode melee viability without using yoyos: Do Flails count in the same way as Yoyos, or are we talking Swords/Spears Only? You can fish a decent (beam-shooting) sword from the crimson/corruption, farm some hallowed crystals and get a phaseblade, or (if Flails), go punch some mummies and make a Dao of Pow

The Cutlass from a Pirate invasion is also a possibility (Good luck), I used one for my hardmode melee up until I could make a Terra Blade. Which actually came "early" because I'd collected two Broken Hero Swords back when you needed three to craft it. The Terra Blade only lasted me a few days, though, because I beat Plantera and got a yoyo drop from the hardmode dungeon in rapid succession.

Potential BFF posted:

Every map has a few Enchanted Sword shrines now, you can spot them by looking for a one block wide shaft beginning at or a few blocks below the surface. Some of the shrines will have fakes but there's always an Enchanted Sword on the map. There's also a chance you'll receive a new low level sword I forget the name of.

The Arkhalis, and it's actually pretty solid up into early hardmode.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Potential BFF posted:

Not every map

#notallmaps

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

omeg posted:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NyxStudios/TerrariaAPI-Server/general-devel/Terraria/Item.cs

This is based on decompiled code but .NET is pretty accurate when it comes to decompilation.

I find it heartwarming, you can make a good and fun game without having to make great code. I'm sure they're just going through the motions because of what they've baked into at the start of the project. You can make the same comparison with the art, improving over time and having to keep to the original aesthetic they started with.

I'm sure they've learnt a lot of things; Terraria 2 is gonna be great.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Archenteron posted:

No, flails are good. I'm not picking on Yoyos, but with the range you get by adding a string, they might as well be ranged weapons. :)

Flails are much shorter ranged, and thus more in the line of what I think of when I think "melee" (in the normal sense of the word, not the Terraria sense).

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

well. just got the rod of discord yesterday, and fighting a few planteras for fun while making an underground fishing zone awarded me the Axe. thank you RNGsus!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Actually, as I think about this more, I'm probably being fairly retarded.

Though melee is viable (thanks to all who chimed in), I imagine it is still the most difficult (compared to ranged/magic).

So it is also probably fairly stupid for me to do melee on my first run through Hardmode, as opposed to something easier like ranged/magic. I presumably should melee (if I want to limit to that) that after I finish it if I decide to start another character from scratch.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Melee has a huge benefit in the fact that it gets armor with more defense. The thing I've noticed as a ranged character is that I can barely take a hit even while full buffed, and the benefit I get for being ranged is having an off-screen range. Melee characters get some pretty long-range weapons even excluding yo-yos... And mages get wacky stuff with crazy effects and damage. Simply being able to take more hits (if you're bad at dodging like I am) is a very solid argument for potentially making the game actually easier... Really it feels like Hardmode was partially balanced around having more than one person playing, since having a melee tank to draw all the enemy aggro would make some of the bosses way easier.

Range shouldn't be a really big concern though for a melee character. There is some absolutely crazy poo poo in hardmode that is super good and can hit most of the screen on a default window size.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blind Duke posted:

Not every map

#notallmaps

Small maps are guaranteed 1, mediums 3, larges 4. You're still probably not going to get anything out of them. Actually finding them without firing up a map viewer is left as an exercise for the reader.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Melee is the best until you're near the end of the game, and even then remains competitive.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

dis astranagant posted:

Small maps are guaranteed 1, mediums 3, larges 4. You're still probably not going to get anything out of them. Actually finding them without firing up a map viewer is left as an exercise for the reader.

flamelash makes it super easy, but at that point an arkhalis won't be doing you much good, let alone the garbage enchanted sword

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I went melee right up to Moon Lord and had little trouble. Then I picked up a Last Prism and a Nebula armor set and never looked back. It's too bad you basically need to beat the game before you can get that combination, but at least I can be the vengeful god of my expert mode world and also tear pumpkin and frost moons to pieces without any setup. Also, the patch notes claimed that Razorblade Typhoon was nerfed, but it's actually better in every way now than it was before 1.3.

The only things I really have left to do in the game are beat expert Golem, Fishron, and Moon Lord, and finish building a base worth showing off.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Read posted:

Melee is the best until you're near the end of the game, and even then remains competitive.

Of course, this is because yoyos are melee and are in fact mega-ownage

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

VineST posted:

well. just got the rod of discord yesterday, and fighting a few planteras for fun while making an underground fishing zone awarded me the Axe. thank you RNGsus!

I just watched a video of some guy using the rod to evade the final boss' superlaser, it was sick.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Blackheart posted:

I just watched a video of some guy using the rod to evade the final boss' superlaser, it was sick.

yeah that was my intent, it's nice that you can use it with the UFO mount. also it's a really nifty thing to have in general! but gently caress whomever decided to make the drop rate the same in expert mode as in normal mode.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

playing melee only (like, the basic sword stuff) is a death sentence in hardmode, you're basically expected to at least start dabbling with ranged stuff for the HM bosses then by the endgame you'll just have full on fullscreen ranged 'melee' weapons with homing and all kinds of poo poo that owns

My only complaint, coming towards the end of my normal mode playthrough is that it seems like 90% of guides for melee characters expect you to have vampiric knives which aren't available in 50% of worlds - scourge of the corruptor owns too but the life drain would be sooooo nice to have

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Qylvaran posted:

I went melee right up to Moon Lord and had little trouble. Then I picked up a Last Prism and a Nebula armor set and never looked back. It's too bad you basically need to beat the game before you can get that combination, but at least I can be the vengeful god of my expert mode world and also tear pumpkin and frost moons to pieces without any setup. Also, the patch notes claimed that Razorblade Typhoon was nerfed, but it's actually better in every way now than it was before 1.3.

The only things I really have left to do in the game are beat expert Golem, Fishron, and Moon Lord, and finish building a base worth showing off.

How do you use last prism, manaflower and hundreds of mana pots so you can fire for a few seconds to melt bosses?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Shackles to gain MP when taking damage, Mana Flower + a couple potion stacks (lasts quite a while, you'd be surprised).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

How do you use last prism, manaflower and hundreds of mana pots so you can fire for a few seconds to melt bosses?

Shackles, Nebula set, and a mana regen potion don't let you fire it continuously, but with the mystic modifier, I can get the straight beam for a second or two, and it only takes about a second to go back to full mana from zero. For invasions, you want the spread beam for crowd control anyway.