Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw an MG TD in Rehoboth the other day.
Not the same one that's in your gallery but still...

gently caress yeah, now that's a guy who knows how to have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The VW hubcaps might be a giveaway as to what that thing really is :v:

But yeah, that guy knows how to party.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The faux MG-TD is the VW addendum to "Its always a Fiero."

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
babby's first double post

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 3, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

Dude "surfs" a wave on his dirt bike in hawaii probably the most baddass thing ive seen and not even redbull!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDi9uFcD7XI

Dang this is awesome.

Spiffness posted:

Correction, we're getting two months without a Roadkill, a Roadkill website that gets first episodes behind a paywall, then a 1 month delay to Youtube & a Dodge sponsorship that 'wont change anything'

I'm worried.

This is not awesome and I have a feeling it's going to cost them some fans. They should just do Patreon or something and let the enthusiasts support them directly at what level they feel is comfortable while still accepting sponsorships. Don't get me wrong, I love the roadkill guys and they deserve to get paid, I just don't like the approach.

BOM is on patreon and I support them, they're are getting ~$1100 per episode from supporters right now with like 5% of the viewership (if that).

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's a beetle.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Dang this is awesome.

This is not awesome and I have a feeling it's going to cost them some fans. They should just do Patreon or something and let the enthusiasts support them directly at what level they feel is comfortable while still accepting sponsorships. Don't get me wrong, I love the roadkill guys and they deserve to get paid, I just don't like the approach.

BOM is on patreon and I support them, they're are getting ~$1100 per episode from supporters right now with like 5% of the viewership (if that).

Yeah as cool as Roadkill is, it's not like they're hurting for sponsors and not making money off of Youtube. This smells more like a cheap cash grab than something to keep the show alive.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

DiggityDoink posted:

Yeah as cool as Roadkill is, it's not like they're hurting for sponsors and not making money off of Youtube. This smells more like a cheap cash grab than something to keep the show alive.

honestly, there may be a little "keep Freiburger alive" going on. I think adding HotRod Garage to his schedule broke him.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MrYenko posted:

The faux MG-TD is the VW addendum to "Its always a Fiero."

The Beetle was the original before people started used Fieros or small Japanese cars

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

honestly, there may be a little "keep Freiburger alive" going on. I think adding HotRod Garage to his schedule broke him.

He doesn't do hot rod garage anymore. They film bits of him doing magazine projects for it but for the most part it was handed off to Tony D'Angelo. That's not a bad thing because Tony is a pretty cool guy.

This is just to bring people to motor trend on demand. The owners said they want it to be Netflix for gearheads. They are using roadkills fan base to build their subscriber base, no matter what it costs roadkill or roadkill fans.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

http://adrenalin-film.de/ came out a few months ago, just saw it yesterday. I am not even a touring fan nor a real bwm fan, but I thought it was a good film.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Powershift posted:

This is just to bring people to motor trend on demand. The owners said they want it to be Netflix for gearheads. They are using roadkills fan base to build their subscriber base, no matter what it costs roadkill or roadkill fans.

Yea I commented as much on facebook, I have a feeling it's going to be like /Drive and there will be a considerable backlash and eventual backpedaling (though I don't know that drive did any backpedaling).

For better or worse, people expect poo poo to be free these days. I think Finnegan and freiburger need to own the roadkill brand and split it off from motor trend if they could make a living doing it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

dreesemonkey posted:

Yea I commented as much on facebook, I have a feeling it's going to be like /Drive and there will be a considerable backlash and eventual backpedaling (though I don't know that drive did any backpedaling).

For better or worse, people expect poo poo to be free these days. I think Finnegan and freiburger need to own the roadkill brand and split it off from motor trend if they could make a living doing it.

From what I can tell, /Drive has gone to running sponsored content to pay for their costs. I posted one of their sponsored vids in the July chat thread, and it was actually pretty cool. They straight up tell you, hey, this is sponsored content. They're not trying to hide anything, and the video is actually pretty neat. I'd be okay with Roadkill doing that sort of stuff even. Hell, Hot Rod Garage is basically a rolling Lincoln Tech advertisement and I enjoy it.

That being said, I can't see myself signing up for this new Motor Trend On Demand thing. If it means I have to wait a month for new Roadkill, oh well. Sucks, but I can't justify signing up for another subscription based streaming service on top of Netflix and everything else.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

T1g4h posted:

Hell, Hot Rod Garage is 100% an advertisement except for the Q&A session and I enjoy it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I subscribed to /Drive+ for about two months. Not worth it for the pittance of content that they put out.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

For better or worse, people expect poo poo to be free these days.

All the ads I'm forced to watch are technically me paying,

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

holocaust bloopers posted:

I subscribed to /Drive+ for about two months. Not worth it for the pittance of content that they put out.

Same, it was bad.

Also I do not think Freiburger is gonna split off from the magazine company that he's worked at for a quarter century. The Motor Trend stuff is regular and usually good, I'll try it when it's premium, but if quality or frequency drops I'll stop. I'd rather have that than increased sponsor interference and/or reality TV shenanigans.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Woops wrong thread.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 4, 2015

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

:perfect:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

dreesemonkey posted:

Regular Cars seems to be doing cool poo poo with Patreon money as well.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Noice. What's that in?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
One of the downtown coffee places just got themselves a new coffee truck.

It's a '74 Citroen H-Van, apparently imported from the UK.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

One of the downtown coffee places just got themselves a new coffee truck.

It's a '74 Citroen H-Van, apparently imported from the UK.

We have one of those on campus. It was driven onto campus. It then broke down. It was never repaired. It was towed to where it now sits, the sign next to it claiming it was restored and still runs...

They're really loving cool though, little tin boxes. I found one for sale with a pizza oven built into it and I was wondering just how the gently caress it actually drove anywhere with a ton of hardened clay and brick in the rear corner.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Visited the Ring on Sunday and my wife surprised me with two laps in a 991 GT3:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That is a good wife.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

That is a good wife.

Yeah she's alright.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Comrade Flynn posted:

Video?? How was it??

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
http://tinyurl.com/omur3tq

I want to spend so much money so irresponsibly on this site

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Panty Saluter posted:

I think Dirt Every Day bought one of these for an episode?

Edit: Not quite that big. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h99gUlJB1Gc

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
That episode is what made me visit the site :v:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Comrade Flynn posted:

I hate you so much op, your wife is cool though.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
August 12th is the first "Roadkill Nights, Sponsored By Dodge, Flashlight Drag Races" at the old Pontiac Silverdome. They are going to have a car show, 1/8 mile spectator drag races, and thrill rides. Roadkill and Gas Monkey will be there. I'm trying to sign up now.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

I wonder how much these things actually go for. All those prices are just starting bids.

Which makes me wonder. Why would someone pay $50k+ for an H1 hummer when they could get a military humvee for 1/5th the price? I know the bidding on those humvee's might go higher than that, but still. I know the civilian version has *some* amenities, but I was under the impression that they're still pretty bare-bones.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The military ones have only been offered to the general public as of very recently, haven't they? And the first batch wasn't even capable of being registered for road use.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

The military ones have only been offered to the general public as of very recently, haven't they? And the first batch wasn't even capable of being registered for road use.

Thank you, that is a very good explanation.

In that case, I wonder how much this abundance of military humvees is affecting the civilian H1 prices.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I wonder how much these things actually go for. All those prices are just starting bids.

Which makes me wonder. Why would someone pay $50k+ for an H1 hummer when they could get a military humvee for 1/5th the price? I know the bidding on those humvee's might go higher than that, but still. I know the civilian version has *some* amenities, but I was under the impression that they're still pretty bare-bones.

I'd say at least part of the reason is that a hummer looks like this:

While a Humvee looks like this:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Also any military vehicle will probably have been ragged to poo poo. source: enlisted 6 years :madmax:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Does that look cramped as gently caress to anyone else? That passenger seat looks like it barely fits in there. I've never been inside a Hummer but I always assumed there would be a ton of room. Instead you get this massive center console for some reason??

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Panty Saluter posted:

Also any military vehicle will probably have been ragged to poo poo. source: enlisted 6 years :madmax:

Can confirm. I crashed the squadron Ford SUV into a snow berm. Backed up and drove away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

With lots of repairs that are questionable at best.