Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The Z3 is the best phone I've ever owned and I still have zero interest in paying that much for a phone ever again, especially when the company's wireless division can't make a profit and might bail at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just in case anyone cares I just got my S6 Active on T-Mobile. If anyone wants to do it you just need to buy the phone and pay cash in full at an ATT store and then use one of those shady unlocking sites. Once you put a T-Mobile SIM in just add the T-Mobile APN for data and you're done.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

zolthorg posted:

But what has actually been omitted from the phone? NFC and NFCwallet apps do nothing for me. I have my own vehicle, rent, rarely use air/public travel options and carry my actual payment cards in my actual wallet.

A functional chipset.

The Snapdragon 810 has serious overheating issues that require excessive throttling to keep under control and Qualcomm has not yet figured out how to fix it.

Also the company is run by a bunch of loving morons.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The OnePlus Two: it does not have NFC, it does not have quick charging, it does not have wireless charging, but it does have a processor that is literally famous for being an excessively hot (or excessively throttled) piece of poo poo.

A bad phone.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rastor posted:

The OnePlus Two: it does not have NFC, it does not have quick charging, it does not have wireless charging, but it does have a processor that is literally famous for being an excessively hot (or excessively throttled) piece of poo poo.

A bad phone.

Good post. But don't forget a brand-new untested OS and a reputation for bad customer service.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Google Nexus 5 2015 specs leaked:

quote:

the new Nexus 5 will feature a 5.2-inch full HD 1080p P-OLED display, the new Qualcomm Snapdragon 620 (MSM8976) processor, up to 4GB of LPDDR3-1866 RAM, up to 64GB of eMMC 5.1 internal storage, a 3180mAh non-removable battery, a MediaTek MT3188 wireless charging receiver, and a Marvell Avastar 88W8897 connectivity chipset for 802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC, and Bluetooth 4.2.

The leak also reveals that the new Nexus 5 will be equipped with front stereo speakers, a rear power button with integrated fingerprint sensor, a 13-megapixel rear camera with an IMX278 RGBW sensor, a 6-element f/1.8 aperture lens, OIS, laser autofocus, and a dual-tone LED flash, a 4-megapixel front-facing camera with an OV4682 RGB-IR sensor and Iris Detection, a USB Type-C connector with QuickCharge 2.0.

Lastly, the leak reveals that the upcoming Nexus 5 from Google and LG will feature an aluminum frame with chamfered edges and a matte plastic back cover. It will be priced at around USD300-400.

Additionally, the Huawei Nexus device is said to feature 5.7-inch WQHD AMOLED display, a metal unibody design, a 21-megapixel IMX230 sensor rear camera, and Rezence/WiPower wireless charging.

:drat:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Really hope that's all true, that looks perfect

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Is that Qi wireless charging and how big of a grain of salt should I take with that leak?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Color me interested in the 5.7" Huawei nexus as long as it's not idiotically priced like the nexus 6 was.

Selane
May 19, 2006

zolthorg posted:

I was getting interested in switching to this new one plus 2 dankness but then I find out you need some lovely pyramid scheme referral garbage. Is there a thread for that? Is it even a real phone?

If you are a female, try sending them naked pictures of yourself* to get moved up in line.

*A thing actually suggested by a OnePlus employee when OnePlus One invites were first going out.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hey now let's be fair, they only asked for pictures of pretty ladies, they didn't say they had to be naked.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

r0ck0 posted:

Is that Qi wireless charging and how big of a grain of salt should I take with that leak?

The MT1388 actually supports both Qi and PMA (ex. Duracell Powermat) charging. So that's actually pretty cool.

I'm a little wary of an O-LED screen instead of IPS but otherwise yeah, those specs rock. Big-arse battery with a moderately powered chipset and reasonable sized display should be awesome for battery life and the camera sensor is supposedly very good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, if the bitching about overheating and performance of the 615 is true (which I'm skeptical of), the 620 should be a complete shitshow since it swaps out 4xA53 for 4xA72.

Seriously though, I think the 620 is going to warrant a little caution based on Qualcomm's recent issues. Unless the A72 is hyper-efficient compared to the A57, this is going to be the Snapdragon 810 all over again.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 3, 2015

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

I'm afraid I have played a bit of ruse on you all, my friend was asking me about this bullshit so I figured i'd try here.
I'll probably switch to an htc or a moto in a year or so when my dumb 5s contract is up though.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

zolthorg posted:

I'm afraid I have played a bit of ruse on you all, my friend was asking me about this bullshit so I figured i'd try here.
I'll probably switch to an htc or a moto in a year or so when my dumb 5s contract is up though.

Hilarious!

Your "friend" shouldn't buy a OnePlus device.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
5.2" Nexus specs look interesting. Depends on the price though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

zolthorg posted:

I'll probably switch to an htc
This is an excellent idea.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
No mention of Qi on the smaller one, otherwise is perfect. Will buy

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

nimper posted:

New iPhones will be out in September, mind.

Does he really want to switch to Android? Do you really want to support his switch to Android?

He really wants a change - he's been using iPhone since it came out, and had an HTC desire in 2010 which he liked. And by "support his switch", what do you mean?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

5.2" Nexus specs look interesting. Depends on the price though.

Doesn't it say $300-400? If that's true, and android M has wifi baked in, I might just keep my phone for less than the 2 years I was planning.

Are all Nexus devices going to have always listening, or is that just the 6 because it was a Motorola OEM device?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WattsvilleBlues posted:

He really wants a change - he's been using iPhone since it came out, and had an HTC desire in 2010 which he liked. And by "support his switch", what do you mean?

Fair enough.

"Support" just means answering any of his questions or solving problems that come up. So if you're comfortable with that then go hog wild with the switch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TraderStav posted:

No mention of Qi on the smaller one, otherwise is perfect. Will buy

The wireless charging receiver in the leak does Qi and PMA.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The wireless charging receiver in the leak does Qi and PMA.

It said in the Huwaei 5.7", not 5.2

Edit: oh god I should read. Nice!! Perfect

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
How many :perfect: can I stick in one post?
:perfect: :perfect: :perfect: :perfect: :perfect: etc....

Did they finally look at the nerd wet dream spec list and just say "ok. We can do this!"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Rear power button... Ugh makes it a no good since unless it has a tap screen to wake feature I can't use it when it's docked on my bike.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

I couldn't care less at this point because of how hilarious the company has handled just about everything and how they throw their hands up and say "Well most people don't use it so nope, we won't include it!" especially considering mid-range phones are starting to carry it and how cheap it is to include.

No one uses NFC but tons of people have type C cables just littered all over the house waiting to be used

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Rear power button... Ugh makes it a no good since unless it has a tap screen to wake feature I can't use it when it's docked on my bike.

Or if you have it in a dash/CD mount in your car

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

android M has wifi baked in

What?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

WhyteRyce posted:

No one uses NFC but tons of people have type C cables just littered all over the house waiting to be used

Or if you have it in a dash/CD mount in your car

Seriously. How is that a thing? Does anyone with and LG think of that before they get it?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Yeah that Nexus 5 2015 looks awesome if they're serious about hitting the $300-$400 price point. I may turn in my Note 4 for an el cheapo Jump and just get one of those fuckers.

He means wifi-calling. To be fair though I still think that's on a device by device basis even on M.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

22 Eargesplitten posted:

android M has wifi baked in.

Wifi calling!

:phoneb::phone:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know anything about Huawei build quality? After switching to the Nexus6 I can't comprehend going smaller, but better camera and fingerprint sensor would be selling points to upgrade again.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

FunOne posted:

Does anyone know anything about Huawei build quality? After switching to the Nexus6 I can't comprehend going smaller, but better camera and fingerprint sensor would be selling points to upgrade again.

I have an Ascend Mate 2 and it's really been a great phone all around.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

FunOne posted:

Huawei is literally swarming Spanish market, my dad has a Ascend G6 wich is a slightly lower Moto G but with better camera, build quality is fantastic. I've also used a P7, P8 and P8 Lite a week each and they're nice, not to mention the Honor series (variants of the P but with bigger battery). The biggest downside is the highly customized skin (emui) but being a nexus is all advantages. The Ascend G7 and Mate 7 are amongst the phones with longest batery life you can get.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Any Turbo owners use the Motorola flip case, with the window on the front that uses the flip case app? Is it any good? I was considering the iVoler 3rd party one.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

nimper posted:

Wifi calling!

:phoneb::phone:

:phoneb::yayclod::phone: surely

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Keep in mind that your carrier still has to provision wifi calling on their end too for it to work. So far the only big name in that US that does is tmobile.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
With the new Moto X Pure coming out, it looks like it has "Universal LTE". Does that mean I can use it on any carrier in the U.S. without issue? Surely, it can't be that easy.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Hughmoris posted:

With the new Moto X Pure coming out, it looks like it has "Universal LTE". Does that mean I can use it on any carrier in the U.S. without issue? Surely, it can't be that easy.

Well I mean you'll have to go get a sim card but yeah it should work fine barring verizon being dumb (since they're advertising it'll work on all four networks verizon probably won't be dumb). Also AT&T is increasing the "Bring your own device" fee so that's a thing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Keep in mind that your carrier still has to provision wifi calling on their end too for it to work. So far the only big name in that US that does is tmobile.

And only if you have a full plan, not for prepaid scrubs like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
So I went to Motorola's website to check out the Pure stuff and it let me do this;

The model # is for the 2nd gen, but it says Pure edition, it's just a bug with their site but they had me questioning my sanity for a second.