Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Series DD Funding posted:

Some of them will, and I'm not ignoring that. At least not any more than you're ignoring saved lives from having machines drive trucks instead of people
So then not only do we need to find new jobs for the displaced truck drivers, we have to find future jobs and social security for all the people who would've otherwise died on the road in trucking accidents? No, truly rational automated trucks would instead intentionally run over the sickest or weakest people, thereby increasing the overall average and median of human productivity in society.

:rip:
Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I believe in SkyTruck.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
In the future there's going to be a lot of pressure to fill all our newfound idle time with cigarettes.

Our economy just can't handle that many people living that long and working those fewer hours. Lot lizards at least don't live long enough to claim many benefits.

And it just occurred to me, how will driverless cars impact Uber drivers? Will there be a retraining program?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

And it just occurred to me, how will driverless cars impact Uber drivers? Will there be a retraining program?

Given how Uber classifies it's drivers, I wouldn't be shocked if they just got the boot.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

The Mandingo posted:

All of my elderly aunts have had the answer to technological unemployment for years - "why don't you just do something with computers?"

Or the more general solution is why not do something where there is a shortage of people. Every country has a list of jobs that they have demand for. Immigrants are stealing jobs from people who don't exist or don't want to train for a job in those fields.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Dawncloack posted:

I want the massive gains in productivity from automatization to go towards everyone having their basic needs covered and everyone needing to work 10h weeks. Instead of, you know, them going towards the 11th golden hull yatch for the Koch brothers.

The problem is that when people voice concerns over this sort of thing, most of them tend to sound like they're blaming technology for threatening to eliminate jobs, as opposed to blaming the government for callously ignoring the need to rethink free-market capitalism.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

The problem is that when people voice concerns over this sort of thing, most of them tend to sound like they're blaming technology for threatening to eliminate jobs, as opposed to blaming the government for callously ignoring the need to rethink free-market capitalism.

At least the Government should think about having positive cashflow and stop giving tax breaks to high earners or the rich. Then look at actually training people for the jobs that are there.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ban anyone who posts D&D poo poo in here. tia.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Dik Hz posted:

Ban anyone who posts D&D poo poo in here. tia.

Seconded.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
thirded

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
This thread swings back and forth between awesome and awful on a daily basis.

I saw this thread in my control panel with 38 new replies. "Oooh, must be some good bad with money stories!" I thought. That was a bad with forums thought.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I had a look through r/personalfinance and most of what I saw was good with money. The one that looked like it had potential to get parents prosecuted for tax evasion was all legitimate. It's a slow time for bad with money until another train wreck happens.

e: I did find this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3foya8/18_and_mom_wont_cosign_for_loan_on_house/

quote:

18 and mom wont cosign for loan on house

What other options do I have being ao have no credit?

quote:

Why do you have no credit and trying to buy a house? Just curious.

quote:

A couple friends and I can get one for dirt cheap payments. Why is that important?

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 4, 2015

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
There was a good one a few days ago where the guy was like "My parents bought me a car, but I can't afford the payments and I don't even like the car!". They surprised him with a car that they'd pay the payments on for a year and then it was up to him to figure out the rest.

Good for him for recognizing ahead of time that it was a doomed situation instead of waiting for month 12.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Having a car purchased for me as a gift would be a nightmare even if I didn't suddenly have to start making payments on it. That's super awkward.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

drat Bananas posted:

There was a good one a few days ago where the guy was like "My parents bought me a car, but I can't afford the payments and I don't even like the car!". They surprised him with a car that they'd pay the payments on for a year and then it was up to him to figure out the rest.

Good for him for recognizing ahead of time that it was a doomed situation instead of waiting for month 12.

Jfc did they get him a puppy too???

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My friend once told me her mom makes her payments on her condo (my friend is 30).

My friend just announced her and her fiance "bought a house", I wonder if mom is handling those payments too??

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I could see buying your kid like a $3k beater if they need it to get to work more reliably. I could see getting them a fancy car if you're rich and don't mind turning them into entitled assholes.

"Buying" them an expensive car and sticking them with payments? Parents of the year.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

triplexpac posted:

My friend once told me her mom makes her payments on her condo (my friend is 30).

My friend just announced her and her fiance "bought a house", I wonder if mom is handling those payments too??

I have a friend who started a travel company geared toward a really narrow group of people--think on the order of "visit the world's famous historic grist mills for home flour enthusiasts" (not that, but obviously the real story would give it away). Her husband does nothing but lead tour groups, which as you can imagine aren't all that frequent. I always wondered how they afforded a condo in a nice part of LA, but eventually she told me that her parents own the building and let them have one of the condos for free. The parents live in one of the other condos and provide free childcare so the daughter can keep living the dream.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Having a car purchased for me as a gift would be a nightmare even if I didn't suddenly have to start making payments on it. That's super awkward.

Surprise we've bought you a car that you have to make payments on.

Nope, I don't want it.

This sort of stuff reminds me of controlling parents who want to take over your life by making payments on everything so that you have obligations to obey them.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
50 Cent's Bankruptcy filing papers were posted online today!

http://www.businessinsider.com/50-cent-files-financials-in-bankruptcy-court-2015-8

Blarfy Bovine
Jun 3, 2007

2 - 3 = negative fun!

Fun Shoe
Looks like he better get rid of the place in New Jersey.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And maybe talk to his insurance broker.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
His business has a lot of retained earnings. His accountant is likely to be hassling him to pay himself more, of course that won't help his case.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That's some utilities bill.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

$3000/mo on clothes struck me as absurd but I guess when part of your celebrity is your image Nordstrom just doesn't cut it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

One new suit a month is pretty restrained, even.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Consider that he likely has a Nike or Adidas account that gives him tens of thousands of dollars in credit each year to shop on a special part of the website that isn't available to normal folks so he can always flash their up and coming fashions.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
He probably just buys a new outfit every day. Maybe he has a dispenser like in Idiocracy.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
He loves kid #1 exactly $2900 more than he loves kid #2.

Blinkman987 posted:

Consider that he likely has a Nike or Adidas account that gives him tens of thousands of dollars in credit each year to shop on a special part of the website that isn't available to normal folks so he can always flash their up and coming fashions.

I read once that Nike has a free, invite-only store/warehouse for VIPs.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
50 cent pays more for grooming himself than I pay to mortgage my house. That's a trip.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

lifg posted:

He loves kid #1 exactly $2900 more than he loves kid #2.

I read once that Nike has a free, invite-only store/warehouse for VIPs.

My friend worked on their POS (point of sale). They have a register code for VIPs which gives a 100% discount so that's probably the case.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

savesthedayrocks posted:

50 cent pays more for grooming himself than I pay to mortgage my house. That's a trip.

And, in turn, Michael Jackson spent more to groom little boys than 50 Cent pays to mortgage his house.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

savesthedayrocks posted:

It's funny in absolute terms, but when you're earning millions annually and your business is promoting yourself as a product and being photographed every single day, it's not that weird.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That doesn't look like such an insane amount (108k/mo?) considering fiddy's previous earnings and likely cash flow from royalties etc. He needs to cut that CT utility bill and gently caress up his insurance broker a bit though.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I can't get past the utilities. Even if you take my highest bills I've ever had for gas, electric, and water and multiply it by 10 (so... 20,000sqft), it's not even half what his is. I can see going nuts with gadgets and clothing and cars and useless ~stuff~ people buy... but utilities?? How.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

His utilities probably include lighting for the entire outside of the property to include safety lamps around the perimeter, heating a quite large swimming pool, gas for multiple fire places that constantly run, blah blah blah

opulence costs cash.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
50 imports the finest electricity money can buy, he can't be on the grid with the common folk

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

triplexpac posted:

50 imports the finest electricity money can buy, he can't be on the grid with the common folk

I wouldve thought this was a joke, but I work for a power company and you can do it this...

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Like, what? Have giant batteries delivered to your home or get hooked up to a more distant, but more reliable, grid or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

cumshitter posted:

Like, what? Have giant batteries delivered to your home or get hooked up to a more distant, but more reliable, grid or something?
Mostly power conditioning to minimize voltage spikes/surges or runs from other power plants for reliability. It's not uncommon for certain industrial applications, like high-reliability data centers.

• Locked thread