Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

There should actually be ramps at every intersection, so cyclists can do sick jumps and not have to stop or worry about traffic or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rah! posted:

There should actually be ramps at every intersection, so cyclists can do sick jumps and not have to stop or worry about traffic or anything.

Also pop-a-wheelie zones. Going through a pop-a-wheelie zone without having popped a wheelie? That's a $250 fine, son.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ban all cars as well as bikes with gears.

All tech workers must wear clown suits. Cream pies distributed free to the homeless.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 2, 2015

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

All roads one way, commercial traffic only 8-6, put muni train car routes every 2 blocks running every 5 minutes.

Bart to sonoma county

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Cicero posted:

Paris is apparently in the process of trying it out: http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-07-09/paris-follows-path-idaho-and-lets-bicycles-run-red-lights

The article also mentions that it's been successful in Bordeaux, which is denser than LA.

edit: huh, treating stop lights as yield signs is actually more extreme than what the Idaho stop is described as usually (which is stop sign as yield sign, stop light as stop sign).

France already has some crazy poo poo like priorité ŕ droite (where traffic turning right onto your street from a side street has right of way and need not stop) that I can't fathom works. But somehow it does. I can only assume they drive much more carefully there, so I'd be hesitant to assume anything that works there will work in the US where every driver is a moron.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

Ban all cars as well as bikes with gears.

All tech workers must wear clown suits. Cream pies distributed free to the homeless.

All bikes must be comically small as well.

Violators must go to clown college for a minimum of two months, and/or pay a fine of 1,000 balloon animals. But if you're rich and well-connected, you can get off with scaring a few children.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So long as bikes start having to get smogged they can have all the special rules they want.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Trabisnikof posted:

So long as bikes start having to get smogged they can have all the special rules they want.

My bike's exhaust smells awful. Especially if I've eaten Indian.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

VikingofRock posted:

Whoops, nice catch. I didn't mean to mislead people, just forgot a word. I've edited my post. In any case, this is more evidence that the GSRs need to be unionized, and it's a shame that they are legally prohibited from doing so.

This isn't really a GSR issue (although it impacts them as well). The change is for anyone with Berkeley SHIP who has dependents, which includes unionized graduate students, GSRs, and presumably some undergraduates as well.

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

So I don't know if any of you have been following, but there has been a massive fire in Lake County for the last few days. It's burned about 54,000 acres with only 5% containment and has been growing at an extremely quick pace. My mother has been working with the command center and they said the fire last night jumped from about 25,000 acres to 54,000 in the span of 7 hours.

It has gotten so bad that Clearlake, the largest town of the county, has been advised to evacuate as the fire closes in on it.

This will be extremely devastating if the fire hits Clearlake because Lake County is not just the poorest county in the state, it is the FIFTH poorest in the entire country. If the fire hits this will be extremely devastating to our entire community. Firefighters are saying that at best they will have the fire contained by August 10th, but there has been little to no progress in stopping the fire.

I've been visiting for a few days while I transition to a new city for a new job and the area is just covered in smoke.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Americans agree: Californians need to give up on the Delta smelt and conserve more at home so that farmers can get more water.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
74% of americans can go gently caress themselves

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'm no expert on this math whozy-whats-it, but a combined total of 236% doesn't sound right to me.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Back Hack posted:

I'm no expert on this math whozy-whats-it, but a combined total of 236% doesn't sound right to me.

I'm assuming they didn't actually say "pick one" but rather listed off a bunch of things and asked if it was a priority, so I'm sure there are plenty of people who think all four (ag, residential, environment, business) are priorities.

EDIT: They lumped "top" and "high" priority together. If you just count "top" priority, ag is still a plurality with 37% of Americans thinking it should get first dibs.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 3, 2015

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

It's pretty easy for anyone not following the drought issue to be like "Well golly-gosh, we need food right?" Then assume the water goes to a nice family farm ran by a kindly old couple that are responsibly using water resources to make sure those city folk can get 3 healthy squares a day.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It was also glazed over pretty quickly by the article, but this is the same poll in which only two-thirds answered that water is limited and could run out if we use too much. I imagine the remaining 33% think underground wizards conjure up a never ending flow? :confused:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

They're technically right in that the only barrier to effectively unlimited fresh water is cost of desalinization. Assuming you're fine paying out the nose, there's no limit.

Edit: though it's probably more likely that they're people thinking "GOD WILL PROVIDE" or something similar.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Edit: ^^^:v:

The ocean is full of water so we can just use that, right?

Homer Simpson: "Water water everywhere so let's all have a drink!"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

They're technically right in that the only barrier to effectively unlimited fresh water is cost of desalinization. Assuming you're fine paying out the nose, there's no limit.

Plus the infrastructure to get it from the coast to the Central Valley. And, if you believe in CO2-based climate change, which a lot of these nitwits probably do not, the enormous energy demand which usually winds up being supplied by burning carbon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also most Americans live somewhere it rained/snowed a lot this winter. And a lot of them hate Californians and think we're idiots and earnestly hope that somehow half the state will fall into the Pacific.

Remember, about 42% of Americans are young-earth Creationists. Critical thinking isn't one of this country's strong suits.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Also most Americans live somewhere it rained/snowed a lot this winter. And a lot of them hate Californians and think we're idiots and earnestly hope that somehow half the state will fall into the Pacific.

Remember, about 42% of Americans are young-earth Creationists. Critical thinking isn't one of this country's strong suits.

Its actually not that bad re creationists, but your larger point still stands.

quote:

In 2009, Bishop ran a survey that clarifies how many people really think the earth is only 10,000 years old. In survey results published by Reports of NCSE, Bishop found that 18% agreed that “the earth is less than 10,000 years old.” But he also found that 39% agreed “God created the universe, the earth, the sun, moon, stars, plants, animals, and the first two people within the past 10,000 years.” Again, question wording and context clearly both matter a lot.

For more evidence that the number of true young-earthers is fairly small, consider another question from the survey run by the National Science Board since the early ’80s. In that survey, about 80% consistently agree “The continents on which we live have been moving their locations for millions of years and will continue to move in the future.” Ten percent say they don’t know, leaving only about 10% rejecting continental drift over millions of years. Though young-earth creationists often latch onto continental drift as a sudden process during Noah’s flood (as a way to explain how animals could get from the Ark to separate continents), they certainly don’t think the continents moved over millions of years. This question puts a cap of about 10% on the number of committed young-earth creationists, lower even than what Bishop found. More people in the NSB science literacy survey didn’t know that the father’s genes determine the sex of a baby, thought all radioactivity came from human activities, or disagreed that the earth goes around the sun.

In short, then, the hard core of young-earth creationists represents at most one in ten Americans—maybe about 31 million people—with another quarter favoring creationism but not necessarily committed to a young earth.

(http://ncse.com/blog/2013/11/just-how-many-young-earth-creationists-are-there-us-0015164)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm disinclined to accept results from the 80s as being representative of today's numbers, though. I think it's actually gotten worse since then. That said, I suspect the correct interpretation of all these polls is just that a big fraction of Americans feels strongly religious, resents any momentum in public policy or education that they perceive as going against their religion, and answers questions in polls in whatever way they think best defends their religion.

Essentially, if you feel like the poller is trying to lead you down a particular path, and you resent the path they're pointing you towards, you start answering defiantly, irrespective of your actual beliefs.

Apropos of the actual discussion, then: if you think Californians are a bunch of whiny crybabies, or you think that the Liberals are trying to hurt god-fearing farmers, or (most likely) you have no goddamn idea what farming actually is in the modern world, you just go ahead and insist that stupid city liberals are wasting all the water that should be used to grow hamburgers.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Its actually not that bad re creationists, but your larger point still stands.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet a lot of respondents are just going for a dumb "truth is somewhere in the middle" stance. Because YECs can't be completely wrong, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I'm disinclined to accept results from the 80s as being representative of today's numbers, though. I think it's actually gotten worse since then.
Apropos of the actual discussion, then: if you think Californians are a bunch of whiny crybabies, or you think that the Liberals are trying to hurt god-fearing farmers, or (most likely) you have no goddamn idea what farming actually is in the modern world, you just go ahead and insist that stupid city liberals are wasting all the water that should be used to grow hamburgers.

From the first part of what I quoted:

quote:

In 2009, Bishop ran a survey that clarifies how many people really think the earth is only 10,000 years old. In survey results published by Reports of NCSE, Bishop found that 18% agreed that “the earth is less than 10,000 years old.”

But really...your point is spot on:

quote:

That said, I suspect the correct interpretation of all these polls is just that a big fraction of Americans feels strongly religious, resents any momentum in public policy or education that they perceive as going against their religion, and answers questions in polls in whatever way they think best defends their religion.

quote:

Yeah, plus the rest of the US eats Californian produce so why should we give up tasty foods, just so more weirdos can live in the earthquake/fire/desert/riot zone?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd like to see the results of a poll question that said something like "Growing alfalfa hay uses up about 15 percent of California's water - about 100 billion gallons of water a year. About 70 percent of alfalfa grown in California is used in dairies as animal feed, and a good portion of the rest is exported to land-poor Asian countries like Japan. Considering alfalfa is the most water-intensive crop in California, and considering it's not important as a food crop, shouldn't California cut back on alfalfa growth, to conserve water during this terrible drought?"

That's exactly the sort of push-polling that results in massive swings in opinion poll results. But it's also the only way to ask a question and get an actually-informed answer, because most of the time you're asking a question of someone who is ignorant of the facts surrounding the issue. What use is an uninformed opinion? Obviously they're critically important when there's an actual election, but there's no nationwide election on how to resolve California's water crisis. And the whole point of electing representatives to make these decisions is that those full-time representatives are supposed to become fully informed of the issues and make informed decisions so we the public don't have to become experts on everything.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm assuming they didn't actually say "pick one" but rather listed off a bunch of things and asked if it was a priority, so I'm sure there are plenty of people who think all four (ag, residential, environment, business) are priorities.

EDIT: They lumped "top" and "high" priority together. If you just count "top" priority, ag is still a plurality with 37% of Americans thinking it should get first dibs.

Well, Ag does have first dibs and the vast majority of water, so...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

Well, Ag does have first dibs and the vast majority of water, so...

San Fransisco and LA are both some of the largest senior rights holders, but generally you're correct.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Am I am the only one who sees a terrible positive in the fact that two-thirds of Americans acpect that Water is a limited resource? :shepicide:

I feel like I can relate since I live in Florida, a state with a similar history of mismanaging its water supplies.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

I'd like to see the results of a poll question that said something like "Growing alfalfa hay uses up about 15 percent of California's water - about 100 billion gallons of water a year. About 70 percent of alfalfa grown in California is used in dairies as animal feed, and a good portion of the rest is exported to land-poor Asian countries like Japan. Considering alfalfa is the most water-intensive crop in California, and considering it's not important as a food crop, shouldn't California cut back on alfalfa growth, to conserve water during this terrible drought?"

That's exactly the sort of push-polling that results in massive swings in opinion poll results. But it's also the only way to ask a question and get an actually-informed answer, because most of the time you're asking a question of someone who is ignorant of the facts surrounding the issue. What use is an uninformed opinion? Obviously they're critically important when there's an actual election, but there's no nationwide election on how to resolve California's water crisis. And the whole point of electing representatives to make these decisions is that those full-time representatives are supposed to become fully informed of the issues and make informed decisions so we the public don't have to become experts on everything.

That's actually an incredibly biased question.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's a question that contains no inaccurate facts, but which does not contain reasonable counterarguments against the meaning of those facts. It's biased only in that if someone knew nothing at all about the situation, they'd almost definitely agree with the conclusion the question is pushing.

That's why I said explicitly that it would be push-polling.

The real problem is that people's opinions are so easily manipulated. It makes a lot of opinion polls - hell, I'd say most polls - next to worthless. If you can get past the press releases and media interpretations and get a hold of the actual questions asked, you can usually discover all kinds of bias inherent in the phrasing of the questions and (especially, when they're offered) multiple-choice answers.

...which goes back to, hmm, a lot of Americans think farms are important. No kidding! That's worthless information until you've verified that the Americans you're asking are actually even vaguely aware of the details of California's water usage system, what kinds of farming absorb the most water and why, the nature of corporate farming, and how the profit incentives built into the current system actually encourage terrible water usage.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

It's a question that contains no inaccurate facts, but which does not contain reasonable counterarguments against the meaning of those facts. It's biased only in that if someone knew nothing at all about the situation, they'd almost definitely agree with the conclusion the question is pushing.

That's why I said explicitly that it would be push-polling.

The real problem is that people's opinions are so easily manipulated. It makes a lot of opinion polls - hell, I'd say most polls - next to worthless. If you can get past the press releases and media interpretations and get a hold of the actual questions asked, you can usually discover all kinds of bias inherent in the phrasing of the questions and (especially, when they're offered) multiple-choice answers.

...which goes back to, hmm, a lot of Americans think farms are important. No kidding! That's worthless information until you've verified that the Americans you're asking are actually even vaguely aware of the details of California's water usage system, what kinds of farming absorb the most water and why, the nature of corporate farming, and how the profit incentives built into the current system actually encourage terrible water usage.

To me, "Considering alfalfa is the most water-intensive crop in California, and considering it's not important as a food crop, shouldn't California cut back on alfalfa growth, to conserve water during this terrible drought?" comes off as very leading.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Again, I am agreeing with you. I said so explicitly, twice now. It is a factually correct question which is very leading.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Again, I am agreeing with you. I said so explicitly, twice now. It is a factually correct question which is very leading.

Although I spent like 10 minutes thinking up how to poll that question in a non push way. I'm sure you could get at it with like 10 questions + demos.Too be too expensive to poll without a prop measure on the topic. I might still try and find a better poll about ag because I'm curious now.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
How we expect democracy to work with suffrage afforded to complete nincompoops has always been mystery to me.

It doesn't work, that's no mystery, but the continuing naive expectation that somehow it should is nigh unbelievable.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TildeATH posted:

How we expect democracy to work with suffrage afforded to complete nincompoops has always been mystery to me.

It doesn't work, that's no mystery, but the continuing naive expectation that somehow it should is nigh unbelievable.

Ugh as much as I hate the overuse of the quote, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

TildeATH posted:

something something wisdom of the crowds etc etc

Alternatively, if everyone was a single-issue voter, and reasonably well educated on that particular issue, you'd actually have a pretty smart electorate (even though many votes would be "wrong" because they only considered one issue)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

TildeATH posted:

See Aristotle: Polity vs Democracy

Not really a new thought.

The odds of a Polity ever existing in a positive way (as opposed to an oligarchy (which is what he claims Democracies will collapse into*), or a tyranny (which is what he claims Oligarchies will collapse into)), seem slim.

*As we watch in real time. Woo!

Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746

Princeton Study: U.S. No Longer An Actual Democracy
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/princeton-experts-say-us-no-longer-democracy

Jimmy Carter: The U.S. Is an “Oligarchy With Unlimited Political Bribery”
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/07/30/jimmy-carter-u-s-oligarchy-unlimited-political-bribery/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TildeATH posted:

Coincidentally, the non-nincompoops are the people who agree with me.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Coincidentally, the non-nincompoops are the people who agree with me.

Sorry, statistically speaking there are no non-nincompoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We should elect people who are very good at listening to the experts and following their advice, except for when the experts are wrong.

Somehow.