Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

60k isn't an instant dealbreaker for someone whose budget is 50k. Try throwing out 95k to someone with the same budget and a big pool of candidates next time and see how it goes.

If you want 95k, do you really want to waste your time further speaking to someone who wants to start you at 50?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm having trouble getting callbacks applying for jobs in California while I live in New Jersey. Should I use a California address? I do state in my cover letter that I am in fact moving to California regardless, which is scary because holy poo poo I don't have a job, but I'm feeling they're just passing me over based on my current location.

Vulture Culture posted:

60k isn't an instant dealbreaker for someone whose budget is 50k. Try throwing out 95k to someone with the same budget and a big pool of candidates next time and see how it goes.

I threw out $95k for a position that ranges $85-$110k in the region. The HR recruiter was incredibly nice in telling me in so many words that I was asking way above what they were willing to spend. Maybe it was a case of overreach on the job description, but in the two phone interviews I did, they drove the focus on my work history and I never got a real chance to find out their actual expectations for the position.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 29, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

No Butt Stuff posted:

If you want 95k, do you really want to waste your time further speaking to someone who wants to start you at 50?
It depends on what you actually think you're worth. Back in 2011, I tossed out a number 50% more than my then-current salary to get an internal recruiter off my back because I really didn't feel like talking to him. He bit.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
e: nevermind.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 30, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Oh man, I accidentally applied to a door to door sales position (do your research, folks) and now they won't stop calling me. Almost want to interview just out of curiosity, but apparently they drive you into the suburbs and make you sell poo poo for your interview. Like what the gently caress?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

FogHelmut posted:

I'm having trouble getting callbacks applying for jobs in California while I live in New Jersey. Should I use a California address? I do state in my cover letter that I am in fact moving to California regardless, which is scary because holy poo poo I don't have a job, but I'm feeling they're just passing me over based on my current location.
It depends on the job level. For entry level, if you're not local, they're probably not even going to read your resume.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Xandu posted:

Oh man, I accidentally applied to a door to door sales position (do your research, folks) and now they won't stop calling me. Almost want to interview just out of curiosity, but apparently they drive you into the suburbs and make you sell poo poo for your interview. Like what the gently caress?

There could be worse ways to spend an afternoon, it would be funny.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in the thread again for the advice you've given; I was offered a position today after being laid off two months ago. It's a 25% pay increase from my previous employer, I'll have the option to telecommute, and the verbal offer was given at the end of the interview, which considering this isn't an entry-level position was pretty awesome :)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GobiasIndustries posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in the thread again for the advice you've given; I was offered a position today after being laid off two months ago. It's a 25% pay increase from my previous employer, I'll have the option to telecommute, and the verbal offer was given at the end of the interview, which considering this isn't an entry-level position was pretty awesome :)
Congrats!

I wish someone would crawl this thread and the negotiation thread to tally up the amount of money goons have earned in part due to the advice in these threads. I'd bet it's at least a couple million at this point.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can I get a critique? I don't know if I'm being too general here. Should I get more specific? How much effort should I make to keep it in one page? I don't know how relevant those internships are.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jhTgPw11jS0cLqxeocWqpsMqZisaCPY31q9cJHtSpxg/edit?usp=sharing

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Can I get a critique? I don't know if I'm being too general here. Should I get more specific? How much effort should I make to keep it in one page? I don't know how relevant those internships are.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jhTgPw11jS0cLqxeocWqpsMqZisaCPY31q9cJHtSpxg/edit?usp=sharing
For the one you're gonna send out: lose the internships, lose some bullet points under the two main employers (focus on accomplishments over responsibilities, and quantify as much as possible), bump the font size a little, and lose a few of the generic proficiencies. Also move the location of the employer over to the right side, and move the date down a line to be on the same line as the title. The bolded employer name and then location separated by just a comma looks awkward.

One person's opinion.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

I'd put everything pre-degree into a general "Additional Work Experience" section if you want to include it and it's relevant to what you're applying for. With your analyst experience I don't know that they are necessary, though; you've got nine years of non-student experience in analyst roles, I think you can safely take them off.

Regarding your formatting, your Noteable Proficiencies is way too general in my opinion and should be toward the bottom of the resume. Lead with your strengths, which is your analyst positions. Your proficiencies need to be more targeted, too; Teamwork and Communication, for example don't jump out to me as specific skills and it comes across as fluff. I don't mean that to be mean, teamwork and communication are important, but you need to be able to demonstrate how you applied that to your work. Maybe change your Notable Proficiencies section to Technical Skills and be specific about the systems and languages you use as an analyst and keep emphasizing your proficiencies in your job descriptions.

Finally, make your section headers stand out more; if it's not just Google Docs, having your section headers the same size as the sub-section headers makes it all look like one big blob. Making the headers slightly larger helps partition the resume into specific sections (Experience, Education, Skills)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For the one you're gonna send out: lose the internships, lose some bullet points under the two main employers (focus on accomplishments over responsibilities, and quantify as much as possible), bump the font size a little, and lose a few of the generic proficiencies. Also move the location of the employer over to the right side, and move the date down a line to be on the same line as the title. The bolded employer name and then location separated by just a comma looks awkward.

One person's opinion.
I'd leave the internships on, because it establishes the narrative that you were actively working on your career as an undergrad. I do agree that you need to focus on accomplishments and quantify.

I'd lose the proficiencies section completely for targeted resumes. If you're applying to a specific position, select the most relevant proficiencies for the job you're applying to, and show that you are proficient by putting a good action-verb bullet point in a job block. And then highlight it in your cover letter too. If you're just throwing resumes at aggregator sites or posting them on-line, leave the proficiencies block in so it's searchable. Also, include your GPA if it's > 3.0.

Again, just one opinion. I don't think your resume will hold you back any.

edit: Also, good job fitting >10 years of experience onto a single page resume.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thanks for the good feedback. I think I was being very general because I was worried that people might think "well you only have experience with this system, there isn't any way possible you'd be qualified for a different one."

It gets kind frustrating. I had interviewed for a Sr HRIS Analyst role. I impressed the manager, she was introducing me to random people we passed as we were walking out of the building. But then I was later turned down because the other management I had met with decided they were going to wait for someone with specific HR experience, which I have none. They're still looking, they could have trained me by now.

Updated - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TlbRmkWfqkAOfSY0mFwI3jrk4H7euW6YUrRGQniO0Nk/edit?usp=sharing

Do you think I need any kind of objective or mission statement?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Should I remove references from my resume?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

Thanks for the good feedback. I think I was being very general because I was worried that people might think "well you only have experience with this system, there isn't any way possible you'd be qualified for a different one."

It gets kind frustrating. I had interviewed for a Sr HRIS Analyst role. I impressed the manager, she was introducing me to random people we passed as we were walking out of the building. But then I was later turned down because the other management I had met with decided they were going to wait for someone with specific HR experience, which I have none. They're still looking, they could have trained me by now.

Updated - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TlbRmkWfqkAOfSY0mFwI3jrk4H7euW6YUrRGQniO0Nk/edit?usp=sharing

Do you think I need any kind of objective or mission statement?

This looks a ton better, apart from the minor formatting issues in your Education section. I won't comment on job specifics as I don't have experience in the field but compared to the previous draft it's much more concise and directed. You look much more competent on paper :)

Objectives or mission statements are outdated, at least in my opinion; your mission is to find a job and your objective is to get a paid position. Some sort of a summary might not be bad, if you think the hiring managers would be looking for something like that. "A data analyst with nine years of experience in X Y and Z" could be good for an overall summary.

Skunkrocker posted:

Should I remove references from my resume?

Yes. Never put references on your resume. It's not necessary at that point in the hiring process.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Need some advice.

Two weeks ago I've been asked to forward my resume to a contact in a large national financial company to pass it on to the internal recruitment. Their recruiter reached out the same day by email to schedule a phone interview. Agreed time slot was past Monday, no calls. Emailed her and rescheduled for past Tuesday, again no call. What do I do now, just keep bugging her or take a hint and forget about it? I could reach out to my contact but not sure if questioning their recruitment will improve my chances for hire.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

iv46vi posted:

Need some advice.

Two weeks ago I've been asked to forward my resume to a contact in a large national financial company to pass it on to the internal recruitment. Their recruiter reached out the same day by email to schedule a phone interview. Agreed time slot was past Monday, no calls. Emailed her and rescheduled for past Tuesday, again no call. What do I do now, just keep bugging her or take a hint and forget about it? I could reach out to my contact but not sure if questioning their recruitment will improve my chances for hire.

This seems like a pretty huge red flag to me. I wouldn't ever want to work for a company that made the worst first and second impressions possible. My opinion would be to forget about it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

GobiasIndustries posted:

This seems like a pretty huge red flag to me. I wouldn't ever want to work for a company that made the worst first and second impressions possible. My opinion would be to forget about it.

Same. An internal recruiter missed two of our scheduled appointments (giving a not-so-great reason the first time after the fact) and I just went ahead and withdrew from consideration. If that's how you waste someone's time that you're trying to attract, it doesn't bode well for when you're an actual employee.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

These HR systems with their "talent networks" are complete garbage. Why am I typing in my work history? I already uploaded a resume.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

FogHelmut posted:

These HR systems with their "talent networks" are complete garbage. Why am I typing in my work history? I already uploaded a resume.

Because if you want the job well enough, you'll drat well jump through hoops to get it :downs:

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure they're often used to streamline future positions you may be considered for within that company, saving a hr person wafting through hundreds of resumes. Also, a formality most likely (though usually after you've already been hired)

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

FogHelmut posted:

The search program they use to filter candidates does a lovely job on the practically infinite number of resume formats floating around, so if you manually insert it they have a better chance of getting a true positive rather than a false positive.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What exactly constitues a non-compete? My potential employment contract includes a sentence stating "In the event that you terminate your employment with the Company, you will be precluded from competing with the Company for a period of one year." I'm in the higher education industry, would that mean I can't take another job in higher education if I decide to go somewhere else? I'm not in any sort of recruiting position and would never be in a position to take business from the company in any realistic future position.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GobiasIndustries posted:

What exactly constitues a non-compete? My potential employment contract includes a sentence stating "In the event that you terminate your employment with the Company, you will be precluded from competing with the Company for a period of one year." I'm in the higher education industry, would that mean I can't take another job in higher education if I decide to go somewhere else? I'm not in any sort of recruiting position and would never be in a position to take business from the company in any realistic future position.
Realistically, non-competes generally mean "don't poach our clients" and almost any other use is legally unenforceable under contract case law.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Realistically, non-competes generally mean "don't poach our clients" and almost any other use is legally unenforceable under contract case law.

While true, it also means that you may have to play lawsuit chicken with the company if they are terrible.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
This job I've been interviewing for called my references over a week ago, I'm getting antsy waiting for word back. I hope no one said anything dumb to throw me under the bus haha.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I've been reading this thread and it's been very helpful in giving me a reality check in what employers are expecting out of potential hires.

I would be so, so grateful if anyone could look at my resume and give me some tips on how to make it more presentable. I recently graduated from college with an English degree, and I'm looking for an entry level technical writer or copy editor job in the San Francisco Bay Area. However, I don't have much relevant experience. I know I should delete the work I've done in the past, but I think my resume would look way too sparse without them.

Here's the link to my resume, again, grateful for any feedback: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QJEDnMwzV-Db7ZhbTX8gN4uj1fJQFw691YtGFpOMMyk/edit?usp=sharing

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I graduated in Spring of 2013 and have worked a couple of lovely jobs unrelated to my degree to fund travel/outdoors stuff since then. Now that I'm looking for a job in my field should my education be listed first in my resume since it's more relevant to the positions I'm applying to or should the jobs I've worked since graduation still come first with descriptions that emphasize applicable skills? I'm looking at entry-level environmental science jobs.

PongAtari
May 9, 2003
Hurry, hurry, hurry, try my rice and curry.
How often (if ever) is it appropriate to follow up with a potential employer after an interview? I had an interview on 7/27 and it seemed really promising - the HR person even said they would send me detailed info on the company's benefits later that day (they didn't). I called to check on it the next Wednesday (7/29), and they said they're still interviewing people and would let me know what they decide one way or the other. A co-worker told me that it might not be a bad idea to give them a call today or tomorrow to see what's going on and let them know that I'm still interested, but I don't want to pester them and ruin my chances if it's something that isn't normally done.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

PongAtari posted:

How often (if ever) is it appropriate to follow up with a potential employer after an interview? I had an interview on 7/27 and it seemed really promising - the HR person even said they would send me detailed info on the company's benefits later that day (they didn't). I called to check on it the next Wednesday (7/29), and they said they're still interviewing people and would let me know what they decide one way or the other. A co-worker told me that it might not be a bad idea to give them a call today or tomorrow to see what's going on and let them know that I'm still interested, but I don't want to pester them and ruin my chances if it's something that isn't normally done.

I check in once a week via email. These things can drag on and on, but I feel like once a week is a good amount to show you're interested in the role, but not harassing them about it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Should I lie about my current salary? I feel like I'm paid normally for where I live and what I'm expected to do. But salaries a quite a bit higher in the region I am applying. Are the thinking I'm not making enough and am therefore bad?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

100 people are going to tell you no, and I'm going to tell you yes. If they ask what you're currently making, you should be telling them what you want to be making. It's going to be used to set where negotiations begin, don't just hand them a card like that.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Okay, what do I do if I have one place checking references, another place giving me a soft offer (language like 'she's the new ___, well, if she decides to work here'), and an interview tomorrow? I'm most interested in the one I'm going to tomorrow, followed by the soft offer, then the one that's furthest along in the process.

Basically, how do I stall the first one and get the other two to hurry up so I have max options? I would work at any of the jobs, but it would be nice to get my top choice without losing my chance with the other one. This relocation is going well, I've never had this pleasant a job hunt but it feels too good to be true and it would be pretty embarrassing to end up with nothing after all this :confuoot:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

Should I lie about my current salary? I feel like I'm paid normally for where I live and what I'm expected to do. But salaries a quite a bit higher in the region I am applying. Are the thinking I'm not making enough and am therefore bad?

You might just not be getting paid enough either. I was always of the opinion that what I was making in my first few positions was fine but in most instances it was pretty well below market value. Check salaries in regions similar to your current region (but obviously not the region you're applying) and see what it looks like on a broader basis.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know if I would outright lie but don't be afraid to embellish that number. For example, my last job was hourly and if you were assuming 40-hour workweeks, I was projected to be paid Xk a year. When interviewing for my current job the HR person was very hard about wanting a prior salary number from me, but I had done some quick mental math beforehand. I figured that I was putting in as much as 10 hours of OT a week (1.5x) and also getting a $300/mo stipend for being part of a special projects committee, and that my yearly "salary" was a good 10-15k higher than what my old offer letter said. So I gave her my printed salary + 15k and ended up getting that plus a little extra.

Looking back I should have embellished more, I only went so high because I had just quit my old job, moved halfway across the country, and could not afford to let this one slip by me. Also someone had just posted here that employers ask for salary history during the interview process so that they can check to see if you're lying during a background/references check. I have no idea if that's true but according to my new boss they never even contacted my references before hiring me. So considering what little I had to work with, I'm OK with how it turned out. Being able to present information in a beneficial manner is important!

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I had a recruiter for a big bank tell me that as part of the background check (for a software development position) I'd be required to submit a pay stub from my current job and last year's W-2, to verify salary history. That was a big enough red flag for me that I ended up canceling my interview with them.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Your current salary is none of their loving business. If they ask you what you are currently making, and you are too scared to call them on it and decline to answer (e.g. "There's many factors that go into figuring out salary - let's figure out if I'm the right fit first, then we can discuss that. If you'd like to share your range so we can figure out if we're in the same ballpark, that'd be fine."), say "My cash compensation requirement is $X". That way you aren't lying, and they can't lowball you.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

FogHelmut posted:

Don't lie, simply because lies during recruitment are grounds for termination at any point in your employment. But you have no obligation to tell them your salary, so don't. If the insist, or pressure you, make excuses or tell them your target number. The only reason for them to know your current salary is so they can lowball the gently caress out of you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BadSamaritan posted:

Okay, what do I do if I have one place checking references, another place giving me a soft offer (language like 'she's the new ___, well, if she decides to work here'), and an interview tomorrow? I'm most interested in the one I'm going to tomorrow, followed by the soft offer, then the one that's furthest along in the process.

Basically, how do I stall the first one and get the other two to hurry up so I have max options? I would work at any of the jobs, but it would be nice to get my top choice without losing my chance with the other one. This relocation is going well, I've never had this pleasant a job hunt but it feels too good to be true and it would be pretty embarrassing to end up with nothing after all this :confuoot:

In the interview tomorrow, point out that you are of course in process with other companies that are further along in the process. If you receive an offer from the first company, give yourself the longest window of time to respond. Then when you have a response deadline, go back to the company you really want to work for and tell them hey, I want to work for you guys, but I have an offer from another company with deadline X. If I don't get an offer from you guys, I am going to accept the one I have in hand. Either they'll make you an offer (Great) or they won't (in which case they didn't like you that much anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there any stigma against taking 6-month contract/temporary positions?