Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just bought this game and have been playing it for a bit. The most striking thing is how loving big everything is. There's so much poo poo to do all the time everywhere, and I'm nowhere near doing all the quests in any area. The companions are also mostly great, especially once I kicked Sera out and told Cole to leave everyone alone. I've got a couple of questions though:

-Is there any way to sort the order party members appear in the member select screen and the Skyhold inventory? I like to add party members in order, and Iron Bull is all the way at the back while Varric is near the front. I also don't want Sera's fuckin card to be the first on the list.

-Is there ever any need to hold on to crafting materials? So far, I've just made stuff whenever I get a better schematic, and I haven't been short yet.

-Is there anywhere I can buy keep furniture? My Bed and Drapery sections in particular are rather barren.

E: Also, my DAO Warden got the Ultimate Sacrifice ending, and then went on to do stuff in Awakening anyway, because that was the style at the time. How is this handed in DA:I? Can I assume the Warden is dead and the Amaranthine stuff just kind of magically happened anyway?

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Kajeesus posted:

-Is there any way to sort the order party members appear in the member select screen and the Skyhold inventory? I like to add party members in order, and Iron Bull is all the way at the back while Varric is near the front. I also don't want Sera's fuckin card to be the first on the list.

-Is there ever any need to hold on to crafting materials? So far, I've just made stuff whenever I get a better schematic, and I haven't been short yet.

-Is there anywhere I can buy keep furniture? My Bed and Drapery sections in particular are rather barren.

E: Also, my DAO Warden got the Ultimate Sacrifice ending, and then went on to do stuff in Awakening anyway, because that was the style at the time. How is this handed in DA:I? Can I assume the Warden is dead and the Amaranthine stuff just kind of magically happened anyway?

Nope.

No point not keeping 'em! They don't take up inventory space, so.

Val Royeaux, there's a shop on the market that sells beds and windows and drapes and so on.

Yeahhh I think that's probably the case.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

-You can't change the order of the party in the party-select screen

- You can sell the stuff if you want, but other than that it's just used for crafting only

-There's a store in Val Royeaux that sells furniture, across the bar with the French Bard

-The Warden appearing in Awakening even if you did US is a bug. Assume the Warden who did US died after Origins and all the decision made in Awakening was made by a Warden from Orlais who got sent to Fereldan to rebuild their branch.

Why would you tell Cole to stop? He's genuinely trying to help people around Skyhold, even if his methods appear strange.

edit: Dammit Cole

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 4, 2015

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Kajeesus posted:

You can buy furniture for Skyhold from a store in Val Royeaux.

Also looking at the DA: Keep save states, it appears it just assumes that the warden in Awakening is a different person no matter what. Because my Warden died in DA:O as well, but there's no place in the Keep to assign a character in Awakening like there is for DAO or DA2.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Aight, thanks. That's more or less what I expected. Time to hit up Val Royeaux!

eating only apples posted:

No point not keeping 'em! They don't take up inventory space, so.

Er, let me rephrase: Should I be saving my materials for when I get better schematics? I'm holding on to everything I find.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

By the time you're finding better schematics you'll probaby have better level crafting materials than your current ones. I'd just use current schematics/materials whenever what they make is a reasonable upgrade from what you're currently equipping.

Speaking of it would be nice if you were able to check these things in the equipment crafting menus. Having to memorise armour values before looking at what you can craft seems like poor design.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pretty much the easiest way to tell if an armor schematic is going to have a good armor value or not is to check how many mats it costs, because all it does is multiply the base rating of the material by the amount of material used in all cases. So if your schematic provides a low armor rating, it has a base number you can't see (something like 5.5), and then if your schematic uses 20 pieces, it'll multiply that number by 20 (and drop decimals). Bottom line, just use the schematics that use more mats if you want better numbers.

The exception is the full-set stuff like Templar armor, which uses more mats in its other slots because you can't slot in arm or leg pieces, and you can do a lot better with a piece meal custom job, but that's less about armor rating and more about stats and bonuses.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/dragonage/status/628641592149155840

one more likely DLC teaser

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
e: ^^^ lol at the Morrigan twitter account

Kajeesus posted:

Aight, thanks. That's more or less what I expected. Time to hit up Val Royeaux!

Er, let me rephrase: Should I be saving my materials for when I get better schematics? I'm holding on to everything I find.
The only thing to give a poo poo about is dragon mats, as they're limited. Everything else can be found/picked up/bought again. And even the dragon mats can be bought, though it's limited to 100 which is enough to make 1 decent armor + weapon. Unless you're on PC, in which case you can use CheatEngine to well...cheat :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kajeesus posted:

If you import an Ultimate Sacrifice save into Awakening (or don't import at all) you play as an Orlesian warden who was sent to Fereldan. So, yeah.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm wrapping my completionist run, and it seems I've missed one dragon. This one is ok, since I know I've killed all in exalted plains, so it leaves only a couple of places to visit. What's worse are all those collectibles - I should be able to send someone through the war table to search for clues for that banner/bottle/mosaic which would give me general area to search. After wrapping it up I'll probably watch Cassandra's romance on youtube and delete the game. It wasn't bad, it exceeded my expectations (after DA2 it was easy) and I've got dozens of hours of fun, but I've got no plans of ever replaying it.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_L4qyvxAFI

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh boy, same release date for all platforms. That's nice.

Looks pretty cool, I still really like the Deep Roads.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Looks like those Cleansing Runes are going to get their time to shine. Main game I don't' think they weren't useful often since you don't run into Darkspawn or Red Templars often.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

This pleases me.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
At last, I get to watch a videogame character punch tectonic plates into submission

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Oh man, that looks cool. I just hope it's really hard, all my characters are ridiculously OP after Jaws of Hakkon.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Calling it now, you discover the living source of lyrium

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

And it's the Old God's blood.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 5, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, I guess I finally have to spend money on Inquisition beyond buying the base game. I love underground sections in RPGs, and these are some awesome visuals. I hope to meet some cool dwarfs and have cool battles. The boss fight in the Deep Roads in Dragon Age 2 was by far the best part of the game. If they can do something as good again, I will forgive them for the boring endboss fight in Inquisition.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

*yoink* Thanks.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Wow, I guess I finally have to spend money on Inquisition beyond buying the base game. I love underground sections in RPGs, and these are some awesome visuals. I hope to meet some cool dwarfs and have cool battles. The boss fight in the Deep Roads in Dragon Age 2 was by far the best part of the game. If they can do something as good again, I will forgive them for the boring endboss fight in Inquisition.

From the end of the trailer, looks like you're going to fight a blue Rock Warith or whatever that thing you fought at the end of Act 1 in DA2 was.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm good with this. The darkspawn have been conspicuously absent despite this game's main villain being one of the original seven.

Magmarashi posted:

I say it has something to do with the titans that have been hinted as the dwarves' ancestors. That'd be something nice and ominous, but still convenient to sweep under the rug until the next game. Dwarves definitely needed something beside obstructive politics to get them back into the limelight since they've lost focus to the other three races. As of now, they're the least important and by far the least popular of the four races.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 5, 2015

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Has Bioware indicated how many DLC's they're planning on releasing? Because it's not yet a year since the game came out and I would hope they learned their lesson from DA2 an are giving the next one a nice long dev cycle. Would be kinda dumb/weird to do 2 DLC's and release them within 12 months and then nothing for another 1.5-2 years.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Geostomp posted:

Dwarves definitely needed something beside obstructive politics to get them back into the limelight since they've lost focus to the other three races. As of now, they're the least important and by far the least popular of the three races.
Hopefully it's something unique to the DA series because the current dwarves are cut and paste from LOTR.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

Has Bioware indicated how many DLC's they're planning on releasing? Because it's not yet a year since the game came out and I would hope they learned their lesson from DA2 an are giving the next one a nice long dev cycle. Would be kinda dumb/weird to do 2 DLC's and release them within 12 months and then nothing for another 1.5-2 years.

There were rumors about Deep Roads dlc and then one more about confronting Solas and maybe fighting the Qunari army.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I still think the Mass Effect trilogy is my favorite game series, but this may be the best Bioware game to go back and play. I've just put 300 hours in and I'm currently on a new runthrough and I just got Jaws and haven't play this. I should be ready just in time for the new DLC. This is pretty great. Hope it works out well.

I'd like it if they added a romance for Scout Harding. 2 questions: who are the best companions to take on the Jaws quest and who do you think will be the best to take on the Descent?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SgtSteel91 posted:

There were rumors about Deep Roads dlc and then one more about confronting Solas and maybe fighting the Qunari army.

When you confront Solas, you have the option of punching him through the eluvian, or follow him through it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ApplesandOranges posted:

When you confront Solas, you have the option of punching him through the eluvian, or follow him through it.

all of this has happened before, and all of this has happened again

I win again, Inquisitor Trevelyan

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ergh... I loving hated the Deep Roads in DAO and DA2 in execution and playing through them, even though the concepts involved were pretty neat. The section you briefly see in DAI is neat before it turns into dwarven ruins and tunnels filled with darkspawn again.

I'd personally also put DAI near the bottom of the Bioware library in terms of replayability. The uninteresting side poo poo to stuff that's interesting to do ratio is horrible, and you need to do a lot of the uninteresting side poo poo to get to and be able to do the good parts.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the deep roads sucked hard in 1 and 2 but then the small portion we got of them in inquisition was actually very cool so I hope they make it like that (cool instead of bad)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fingers crossed for an Architect appearance.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Ergh... I loving hated the Deep Roads in DAO and DA2 in execution and playing through them, even though the concepts involved were pretty neat. The section you briefly see in DAI is neat before it turns into dwarven ruins and tunnels filled with darkspawn again.

I'd personally also put DAI near the bottom of the Bioware library in terms of replayability. The uninteresting side poo poo to stuff that's interesting to do ratio is horrible, and you need to do a lot of the uninteresting side poo poo to get to and be able to do the good parts.

I don't know, I get in this zen mode when just traipsing around the beautiful sections and killing peeps. I just have a lot of good nights listening to d&d podcast while going through the zones. To each their own though.

epitasis posted:

the deep roads sucked hard in 1 and 2 but then the small portion we got of them in inquisition was actually very cool so I hope they make it like that (cool instead of bad)

Man I'm just drawing a blank, when did we go into the deep roads in DA:I?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Spikeguy posted:

Man I'm just drawing a blank, when did we go into the deep roads in DA:I?

There's a brief area in the Hinterlands you can raid, and Varric's personal quest goes in there.

quote:

I don't know, I get in this zen mode when just traipsing around the beautiful sections and killing peeps. I just have a lot of good nights listening to d&d podcast while going through the zones. To each their own though.

Admittedly, my lack of enjoyment of the side content in DAI probably has a lot to do with how the game runs horribly on my computer for reasons I've never figured out. It's funny when the Inquisition Singalong finishes halfway through the cutscene.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

There had better be some specific content in there for a Dwarfquisitor, even if you're a surface Dwarf. It seems like there was even less of that in the base game than there was for Qunari Inquisitors.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Spikeguy posted:

It's a pretty neat game to :350: to as well. It's pretty, the combat is *just* challenging enough, taking different combinations of companions around with you is fun, and the lore isn't too terribly written.

Cythereal posted:

Admittedly, my lack of enjoyment of the side content in DAI probably has a lot to do with how the game runs horribly on my computer for reasons I've never figured out. It's funny when the Inquisition Singalong finishes halfway through the cutscene.

You should count yourself lucky. That scene is leave-the-room painful.

So, I made Blackwall a warden in one of my playthroughs. Kind of interested to see if the DLC does anything with that.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

at the end of the dlc you and every companion you took with you dies in horrible agony from having contracted the blight by wading through a veritable lake of darkspawn blood

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Lyrium is not only alive but at one point the dwarves were not only born of it, but were part of it as titans. The current shape and state of the dwarven race is a dream of the stone and golems were ironically going back to what they were before the elves or someone else hosed around with the fade that initially created the Blight.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 6, 2015

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

AriadneThread posted:

at the end of the dlc you and every companion you took with you dies in horrible agony from having contracted the blight by wading through a veritable lake of darkspawn blood
Or they all get made into Grey Wardens, which would bring the entire count of non-idiot GW's up to maybe 12 depending on choices you already made :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

Or they all get made into Grey Wardens, which would bring the entire count of non-idiot GW's up to maybe 12 depending on choices you already made :v:

Ironically Blackwall dies in the Joining

But it'd be neat if you start this post-story and you gave Blackwall to the Wardens, he's done the Joining Ritual and is a real Grey Warden so he can actually hear Darkspawn and tell you about ambushes or stuff. Or if you haven't done Revelations then he bullshits and maybe even leads you into traps by accident. Or if you didn't give him to the Wardens then everyone just harps on him about whether he can "hear" Darkspawn.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 6, 2015

• Locked thread