Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Perestroika posted:

Part of the narrative is basically that anything pro-choice is a literal death cult whose only motivation is a love of death and money.

When you phrase it like that you wonder why conservatives oppose it so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Perestroika posted:

Part of the narrative is basically that anything pro-choice is a literal death cult whose only motivation is a love of death and money.

After the cheering for Perry's executions and the Obamacare "let them die" poo poo it's more self projection honestly.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Perestroika posted:

Let's post one more, just because it's such a perfect storm of everything terrible:

Holy gently caress. You're telling me a newspaper actually published that?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Don't read the politoons thread. If you think that's as bad as it gets you should avoid that politoons thread.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

No, DO read the politoons thread! We always welcome fresh blood!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Vargatron posted:

Holy gently caress. You're telling me a newspaper actually published that?

Most of the cartoonists in the thread aren't syndicated.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Does anyone have the edit where baby clubber Obama is chasing that big baby?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Politoons requires sacrifice :unsmigghh: :cenobite: (could've sworn we had an event horizon emote)

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Gravel Gravy posted:

Politoons requires sacrifice :unsmigghh: :cenobite: (could've sworn we had an event horizon emote)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I was tempted to check the politoons thread to see what that weird genocidal israeli cartoonist said about them finally freeing Pollard but I didn't want to actually have to read those hateful rear end cartoons

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Perestroika posted:

Let's post one more, just because it's such a perfect storm of everything terrible:

Yesterday Erick Erickson was saying that Planned Parenthood clinics are the temples for the secular religion of liberalism. The doctors and nurses who work there are the priests, and women go there to provide human blood sacrifices to Mother Earth.

Come to the Political Cartoons thread... We have such sights to show you. :unsmigghh:

Michael "Two Pulitzers" Ramirez

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Michael "Two Pulitzers" Ramirez

Yeah, I guess some people can see this and go "wow, what a bunch of loving pricks am I right" but for me its just like "I need to go punch a wall now"

It's not healthy for me to be exposed to this stuff

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The politoons thread if where you go if you think "I like observing /pol/, but I wish they had more pictures."

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The left is like a religious cult and abortion is their sacrament.
-Limbaugh

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think politoons might be too filthy for even this thread. It's the nadir of right wing media.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

-Limbaugh

Its quotes like this that make you realize the far-right has lost any interest in appealing to the other side and simply wants to kick the hornet's nest of its own base.

The videos failed. The defunding failed. The left is certainly not going to fall for this rhetoric, but even the middle isn't falling for this rhetoric. Its just about getting the angry people who listen to you angrier.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Like that link earlier showed, the right-wing media works better when the right-wing does poorly electorally, because then they're the underdog. As always we could quote Umberto Eco's ur-fascism here.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Like that link earlier showed, the right-wing media works better when the right-wing does poorly electorally, because then they're the underdog. As always we could quote Umberto Eco's ur-fascism here.

Hell in 2000-2008 they were still portraying themselves as the underdog.

Remember the PIG series? Holy poo poo I stole the Literature one once to read it and there are no words.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hazo posted:

Holy poo poo this is nauseating on so many levels. What the hell does Obama have to do with abortions? Oh right, he's a black president while Things are Happening, therefore he's responsible.

It's one part the usual conservative assumption that women have no agency and everything they do is really their father or husband (or black fake president usurper) making the decision for them, and one part convincing themselves that they're not really hurting women, because women don't actually even want birth control pills or cancer screenings or natal care or abortions all that is forced on them by liberals who want to have sex with them or profit from them.

You see that with the parental approval stuff for teenagers getting abortions: one of the arguments is that pedophiles will gently caress little girls and then force them to abort the babies so they don't get caught.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

-Limbaugh

Maybe they can install that satanic monument in Planned Parenthood HQ

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its quotes like this that make you realize the far-right has lost any interest in appealing to the other side and simply wants to kick the hornet's nest of its own base.

The videos failed. The defunding failed. The left is certainly not going to fall for this rhetoric, but even the middle isn't falling for this rhetoric. Its just about getting the angry people who listen to you angrier.

American conservatism is founded on the idea that the conservatives are the silent majority and that all they have to do is get people to speak up and vote and they'll win in a landslide. They can't actually stop appealing only to their base because their whole ideology is built around it. When you've been telling your base over and over for 40 years that everyone agrees with them and that it's only a conspiracy by a small group of ultra-powerful liberal schemers that's preventing them from getting what they want, why would the base tolerate negotiation or capitulation?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 4, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah, they've blamed every election loss since 1992 on liberals tricking the GOP into nominating a liberal Republican so the national majority of True Conservatives will stay home on election day, and all they need to win forever is to find a man brave enough to get up there and n****r-n****r-n****r his way to victory with the words all true Americans are really thinking.

I remember as a kid my parents listening to Limbaugh, and he would rip into GW Bush over "compassionate conservatism", saying he was pandering to liberals and betraying conservatives. And rather than recognizing how brilliantly GWB was able to hide the destructive malice of republicans underneath this veneer of folksy compassion, they've succeeded in requiring candidates to go full racist against immigrants and clamor to grind the poor into hamburger meat just to get through the primaries.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

they've succeeded in requiring candidates to go full racist against immigrants and clamor to grind the poor into hamburger meat just to get through the primaries.

and thank god for that

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

;I'm sure those comics would hurt a lot more if I was politically informed like you guys but the best I get is like listening to someone talk about revisionism like

'Truefax: The South was well on their way to abolishing slavery by the time the Civil War started. They had a plan and everything - everyone gets a little bit of land, about a hundred dollars, a gun, and a mule. Racism wasn't nearly as prevalent as it was in the North.

... So this whole 'white power' bullshit when it comes to the Confederacy is -

Well. Bullshit'

Best I can reply to that is just

"That's wrong in at least eight different respects."

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 4, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

;I'm sure those comics would hurt a lot more if I was politically informed like you guys but the best I get is like listening to someone talk about revisionism like

The problem for me is that I cannot separate the shithead narrative from the people who are currently and seriously being harmed from this.

I look at that Michael Brown comic and all I can think about is the enormous number of black americans who are under constant threat of mortal danger from the police and how shitheads like this will gleefully skip over the puddles over their blood while constructing reasons to justify it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

RareAcumen posted:

"That's wrong in at least eight different respects."

:nallears: You actually think goons are politically informed. In a thread about cartoons this is the funniest thing I've seen yet.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Perestroika posted:

I'm still wondering why these people have no problem with thousands of embryos being destroyed by fertility clinics every year. Whenever I bring it up in a discussion they just shrug it off.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

beatlegs posted:

I'm still wondering why these people have no problem with thousands of embryos being destroyed by fertility clinics every year. Whenever I bring it up in a discussion they just shrug it off.

Well to make an omelette...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

beatlegs posted:

To be fair to them I think they see a difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
There is a fringe movement trying to keep them in deep freeze until they are needed. Bring it up and the person can claim affiliation, just like how they were one of the few conservatives against the patriot act at the time it was passed. It doesn't have to be true to be a winning rhetorical deflection.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
There's a simpler aspect to the "rile up the base strategy:" the angrier people are, the more likely they'll write checks.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was tempted to check the politoons thread to see what that weird genocidal israeli cartoonist said about them finally freeing Pollard but I didn't want to actually have to read those hateful rear end cartoons

Not much. Something in passing about how they're "toying with his freedom" or some such. The consensus is he won't bring it up if he can't use it to criticize his opponents.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Samovar posted:

No, DO read the politoons thread! We always welcome fresh blood!

The PoliToons Thread: Where the Bloodgates are Always Open

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

:nallears: You actually think goons are politically informed. In a thread about cartoons this is the funniest thing I've seen yet.

Politically, historically, whatever the right word would be. What I'm getting at is that you guys will actually be annoyed because you know all the leaps of logic and outright lying it takes to make a comic like that despite that not actually being how any of it works in the real world. People like Mel Mudkiper, VitalSigns, and icantfindaname being able to suss out the bullshit and explain why and how its wrong.

Thinking about it, 'knowledgeable' might've been a better word.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Klaus88 posted:

RWM isn't about cartoons though?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

There is a fringe movement trying to keep them in deep freeze until they are needed. Bring it up and the person can claim affiliation, just like how they were one of the few conservatives against the patriot act at the time it was passed. It doesn't have to be true to be a winning rhetorical deflection.

The same movement has members that go out of their way to "adopt" these leftover IVF embryos and have them implanted as "snowflake babies."

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Politically, historically, whatever the right word would be. What I'm getting at is that you guys will actually be annoyed because you know all the leaps of logic and outright lying it takes to make a comic like that despite that not actually being how any of it works in the real world. People like Mel Mudkiper, VitalSigns, and icantfindaname being able to suss out the bullshit and explain why and how its wrong.

Thinking about it, 'knowledgeable' might've been a better word.

Historically, right wing movements are long of appeals to emotion and short on critical thinking and facts.

Okonner posted:

RWM isn't about cartoons though?

Got confused by all the cartoons being posted.

Potential BFF posted:

The same movement has members that go out of their way to "adopt" these leftover IVF embryos and have them implanted as "snowflake babies."

:dogbutton:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Klaus88 posted:

Historically, right wing movements are long of appeals to emotion and short on critical thinking and facts.

I don't know if you can say that exactly. They have their fair share of facts, it's just that the facts are obviously wrong with any amount of investigation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Klaus88 posted:

Historically that's all movements.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The videos haven't failed and PP is going to lose this battle, at least marginally. Sure, the foundation isn't going to be completely defunded but funding and public support will erode along the edges. In red states the changes will be much worse than elsewhere, like usual.

They may even see some legal repercussions if it's found that they altered procedures to facilitate the collection of tissue samples. They clearly aren't making a profit on the reimbursements but that was always a red herring.

Yeah it's not a deathblow to the organization but it's real bad news.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I disagree. The videos haven't done much to shift public support of abortion or PP because public support has more or less hardened over the last few decades and PP has been on the defensive against extremists in red states since the 90's. I think the most that this will end up doing is having a bunch of red governors ordering "investigations" or whatever that come to nothing and the issue of abortion being a 2016 hot potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be fair to them I think they see a difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs

Fertility clinics destroy fertilized eggs.