Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

beatlegs posted:

Fertility clinics destroy fertilized eggs.

Is a fertilized egg still considered an embryo? Maybe I am getting my biology confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zeroisanumber posted:

I disagree. The videos haven't done much to shift public support of abortion or PP because public support has more or less hardened over the last few decades and PP has been on the defensive against extremists in red states since the 90's. I think the most that this will end up doing is having a bunch of red governors ordering "investigations" or whatever that come to nothing and the issue of abortion being a 2016 hot potato.

Public support may not be the biggest factor in whether the movies failed though; if the Republicans in Congress really manage to defund PP through a legislative amendment that's gonna hurt bad.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

site posted:

if the Republicans in Congress really manage to defund PP through a legislative amendment that's gonna hurt bad.

They tried to and it failed though. If they couldn't get it to happen in the heat of the moment they are unlikely to accomplish it meaningfully later on.

Its an attempt to rile up the base leading into an election and creating a talking point, not meaningful legislation.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is a fertilized egg still considered an embryo? Maybe I am getting my biology confused.

If you believe life begins at conception, which is a statement very often touted by pro-lifers, then all of those fertilized eggs are human beings that are murdered.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

They tried to and it failed though. If they couldn't get it to happen in the heat of the moment they are unlikely to accomplish it meaningfully later on.

Its an attempt to rile up the base leading into an election and creating a talking point, not meaningful legislation.

Pretty much. This felt like it was designed from the start to fire up the base, get views for right wing media, give GOP lawmakers a chance to show how much they don't like the idea of selling babies as deli meat, and IF it resulted in loving PP over hey bonus!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Zeroisanumber posted:

I disagree. The videos haven't done much to shift public support of abortion or PP because public support has more or less hardened over the last few decades and PP has been on the defensive against extremists in red states since the 90's. I think the most that this will end up doing is having a bunch of red governors ordering "investigations" or whatever that come to nothing and the issue of abortion being a 2016 hot potato.
This is true. Few, if any, have changed their minds about Planned Parenthood based on recent events. They still poll favorably, and a clear majority is against defunding them. People believe PP over the CMP (group that released the videos) by a margin of 52 to 25. These are the same people who have believed the same things for half a century pretending that their ideas a new and based on current events. It will come up in the debt ceiling fight, but it will just be as a placeholder for another weapon, not an additional one. Otherwise, politicians are going to use it to show their base that they stand with PP/are against PP and keep that on the record for their 2016 campaigns.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

some of my conservative friends are blowing up on Facebook over this new planned parenthood "SELLING BABY PARTS" thing, why is this news?

As a biotech researcher I feel kinda obligated to try and calm down a lot of the crazy that's going around with the PP sting videos. If you wanna reply to their posts please point out several facts here:

1) It's been legal to donate tissue from aborted fetuses for decades. Here is a law from 1993 issuing guidelines for this: http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/policy/publiclaw103-43.htm.html

2) In the biomedical field, costs can be freakishly high. Here's a generic, very common protein that's used all the time, streptavidin (we use it to bind proteins to other things): https://www.lifetechnologies.com/order/catalog/product/21122

Note that 0.1 grams of this stuff costs well over 1000$. Many other specialized proteins cost 1000x that much. It's quite normal for my purchases of biological reagents to run 2,000$ or higher, and we're a very small company. When I order this stuff the shipping and handling requires me to overnight it (so the proteins don't spoil in a long transit) and get it with insulated cold packaging (so it can survive the shipping until I can stick it in a -80* C freezer immediately upon receipt). This S&H cost alone is maybe 50 bucks.

So when the Planned Parenthood ladies are juggling numbers around 30$ to 100$, it's REALLY obvious that they aren't talking about the cost of the actual fetal tissue specimens. They're talking about minor processing costs. And yes, it is perfectly legal to try to recoup these expenses. Look at that first link I gave you, section 12 subsections a and d3.

I keep seeing people up in arms about how they're supposedly "haggling" over the profits they want over illicit goods and pointing out the numbers they're putting forward (generally in the 20-30$ range). This makes about as much sense as saying "Hey I overheard these guys talking about selling a stolen iPhone 6. It's obvious they were selling it because I heard them haggling over whether it'd be 3 or 5 dollars." Those numbers don't make any goddamn sense, so it has to be referring to something other than a for-profit sale.

3) While there are general conventions in surgical procedures, there isn't very much strict standardization and variant approaches occur all the time, often on the fly. In fact, the primary skill of a surgeon isn't hand-eye coordination (this is generally picked up over time, unless you're a klutz), it's the ability to improvise. Because of this, different surgeons can have differing philosophies in how to perform an operation.

So when people cry about how the PP staffers are supposedly "changing the procedure to harvest tissue" they're missing out on the fact that it is possible, even necessary sometimes, to modify a procedure within certain boundaries.

The primary reason that such a regulation is in place is because an abortion is performed with the patient's best interests in mind, and as such the patient must be the central focus of the procedure. Ethically speaking, you cannot prioritize tissue recovery over the patient's well-being. Ms. Gatter in the second video does discuss a minor variant to the procedure, but it is one that would likely be acceptable in terms of medical ethics since as she herself points out it doesn't cause any discomfort or risk to the mother's health. So long as the mother consents and the surgery is still performed with her well-being as the central goal, there should be nothing wrong with it.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 4, 2015

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be fair to them I think they see a difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs

The IVF process does in fact produce many excess embryos (fertilized eggs) that are frozen and for the most part eventually discarded. So to "be fair" to right to lifers they mostly ignore this even though the destruction of these embryos is entirely equivalent to embryos destroyed by other means such as abortion, yet somehow they are less in arms over IVF embryos.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the people using IVF services are generally from a different social and economic class than those demonized in the abortion debate.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It died intentionally though. The way they killed it allows the amendment to be brought up again without going through committee, so they can try attaching it to the more important basic government funding CR after Congress comes back from recess (according to USPol).

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That wasn't a real attempt though and everyone knew it was going to fail. It was just a way for some people to get on record about the issue immediately. The real federal funding fight is going to occur during the next CR battle

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

site posted:

It died intentionally though. The way they killed it allows the amendment to be brought up again without going through committee, so they can try attaching it to the more important basic government funding CR after Congress comes back from recess (according to USPol).

Because the republican congress holding up the budget to get things they want added to/removed from the spending bill has worked so well in the past.

Zwabu posted:

The IVF process does in fact produce many excess embryos (fertilized eggs)

Ah ok. For some reason I thought embryo was a term for an unfertilized egg and zygote was for a fertilized one.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
"Free couch. Will deliver for gas money"

"Well then you're selling the couch aren't you?"

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Zwabu posted:

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the people using IVF services are generally from a different social and economic class than those demonized in the abortion debate.
I'm pretty sure you are the real racist/anti-woman for bring this up.
Thanks for this. It explains everything very well.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Zwabu posted:

The IVF process does in fact produce many excess embryos (fertilized eggs) that are frozen and for the most part eventually discarded. So to "be fair" to right to lifers they mostly ignore this even though the destruction of these embryos is entirely equivalent to embryos destroyed by other means such as abortion, yet somehow they are less in arms over IVF embryos.

The classic thought experiment is "if a fertility clinic is on fire and you have time to save a six year old girl or a refrigerator full of embryos, which do you choose?"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jurgan posted:

The classic thought experiment is "if a fertility clinic is on fire and you have time to save a six year old girl or a refrigerator full of embryos, which do you choose?"

"Yeah sure, I'll get that fridge full of embryos. Just let me just grab a dolly/palette mover here... and my insulated gloves, and I'll need your security car- oh look, it's too late."

I get the feeling that anti-choicers think it's like the scene in Jurassic Park; where it's just a shaving cream can full, and you can grab it instantly.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

beatlegs posted:

Fertility clinics destroy fertilized eggs.

Fertility clinics create life, though. They help people who want to have babies but otherwise can't have babies.

At least maybe that's the argument. Fertility clinics create babies, abortion clinics end them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It really gets to the problem with a lot of rightwing positions. They mistake the simplest definition for the universal one. The second you complicate it, it falls apart.

"Embryos are people"

Ok, what about embryos that are destroyed at fertility clinics.

"You are born a male or female"

Ok what about xxy children or children with male genetics but a genital malformation resembling a vagina.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Fertility clinics create life, though. They help people who want to have babies but otherwise can't have babies.

At least maybe that's the argument. Fertility clinics create babies, abortion clinics end them.

There are so many unwanted children out there who will never have a loving home so I could give a nary a gently caress about a small portion of people who can't bring yet more babies into the world.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Please keep in mind that CommieGIR and I recently bashed our heads against the wall in this very thread about pro lifers being awful. It's loving everywhere.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah but if they destroy many times more lives (to concede the "life begins at conception" position for the same of argument) than they create (embryos that go on to actually be born), how is that okay? It's like if the Duggars murdered 17 of their kids. "Well you had two that you let live so that's cool."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

There are so many unwanted children out there who will never have a loving home so I could give a nary a gently caress about a small portion of people who can't bring yet more babies into the world.

When people go to adopt a lot of the time they want a perfect child but children given up for adoption are often from nasty backgrounds, broken homes, or are difficult children to deal with (i.e, disabled). Last I heard adoption is also really hard for whatever reason. A lot of unwanted children are, well, the kind of children parents don't want. There's also the "well I want it to be my child!" going on. If it isn't my genes running around I'm not raising it.

Zwabu posted:

Yeah but if they destroy many times more lives (to concede the "life begins at conception" position for the same of argument) than they create (embryos that go on to actually be born), how is that okay? It's like if the Duggars murdered 17 of their kids. "Well you had two that you let live so that's cool."

The right is not known for its logical consistency.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
That drat Obama is getting criticised for his global warming declarations:

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/04/climate-scientists-rip-apart-epas-global-warming-rule/

The comments are full of people saying this means that global warming isn't happening.

Of course, if you read the article, you see he's being criticised because his orders don't go far enough.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Fertility clinics are easily understandable as at least eggs being broken in pursuit of making an omelette; there might be people who are still opposed to the process but there are plenty of people who are willing to give up a bit of logical consistency (it's overrated anyway) to arrive at a viewpoint that pleases them (babies still being made, etc).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I don't think dismissing literal murder occurring (per anti-choice advocates) as "making an omelette" is easily understandable, no.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Well, they were OK with it when it was up to Hitler.

:godwin: :godwin: :godwin:

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

If you're nutty enough to think abortion is the literal murder of a human being, then I don't think you can dismiss IVF as an overall "good thing" notwithstanding the murder of thousands of precious babies. Obviously the anti-abortion zealots are obsessed with the choice women are allowed to freely make, rather than the embryo itself. There's really no other explanation.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Chantilly Say posted:

Fertility clinics are easily understandable as at least eggs being broken in pursuit of making an omelette; there might be people who are still opposed to the process but there are plenty of people who are willing to give up a bit of logical consistency (it's overrated anyway) to arrive at a viewpoint that pleases them (babies still being made, etc).

I only wanted one child but had to make sure I liked it, so I had octuplets, waited until they were five, then kept the best one and killed the rest. Hey, can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs!

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
There's a good thought experiment I haven't seen recently:

You're in a burning building and can rescue either a 4-year old child or a cooler containing a dozen fertilized embryos. Which do you take?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Good Citizen posted:

The videos haven't failed and PP is going to lose this battle, at least marginally. Sure, the foundation isn't going to be completely defunded but funding and public support will erode along the edges. In red states the changes will be much worse than elsewhere, like usual.

They may even see some legal repercussions if it's found that they altered procedures to facilitate the collection of tissue samples. They clearly aren't making a profit on the reimbursements but that was always a red herring.

Yeah it's not a deathblow to the organization but it's real bad news.

Agreed. They've already succeeded in framing the narrative in this way. See also: ACORN.

Davethulhu posted:

You're in a burning building and can rescue either a 4-year old child or a cooler containing a dozen fertilized embryos. Which do you take?

About 14 posts up on this page.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 4, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Davethulhu posted:

So the Trolley problem?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Fertility treatments are cheaper than adopting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ErichZahn posted:

Fertility treatments are cheaper than adopting.

And who wants to raise someone else's unwanted spawn like a sucker?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

computer parts posted:

So the Trolley problem?
You can change the number of embryos and most people won't change their minds no matter how many. 10,000? gently caress it, save the kid. The broad insensitivity to numbers makes it quite different from a trolley problem.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You can change the number of embryos and most people won't change their minds no matter how many. 10,000? gently caress it, save the kid. The broad insensitivity to numbers makes it quite different from a trolley problem.

Right, its basically calling them on their bullshit.

If your instinct is to save the girl rather than the tray you are demonstrating that at least subconsciously you understand the difference between a human being and an embryo.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Davethulhu posted:

You're in a burning building and you can rescue either a 4 year old or an 85 year old. Which one do you take?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Right, its basically calling them on their bullshit.

If your instinct is to save the girl rather than the tray you are demonstrating that at least subconsciously you understand the difference between a human being and an embryo.

Joke's on you, there are people that unironically would go for the freezer.

e: oh poo poo oh poo poo, he's back and wanting some more~~

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Armyman25 posted:

You're in a burning building and you can rescue either a 4 year old or an 85 year old. Which one do you take?

that isn't even close to the same situation being provided

Phone posted:

Joke's on you, there are people that unironically would go for the freezer.

At least they are being consistent

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Armyman25 posted:

Wouldn't this need to be "a 4 year old or (x amount) 85 year olds" to be consistent?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Davethulhu posted:

I've used that one on anti-abortion people for years, "I'm holding a baby in one hand and a dish with a fertilized embryo in the other. I drop them both. Which do you dive for?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean legit if someone believes human life is so precious they protect every fertilized embryo, oppose war, oppose the death penalty, oppose euthanasia, and then also oppose abortion I disagree with them but gently caress it at least they have integrity with their beliefs.