Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

JonTerp posted:

Just a FYI, Something Flappy has been given an honorary slot on the Wall-of-shame.

Why? Because it's literally just a flappy bird tutorial with the SAGDC X logo slapped on it. It does nothing to adhere to the theme or try to be anything but a legit direct tutorial project. Might as well have uploaded someone else's game.

SA ShameDev Challenge X

edit: poo poo, here's some content I guess

The Deliverer
Cool poo poo: quickly realising the critical omission and that health was pointless, having to solve puzzles by actually piling up your own gibs, as well as the physics engine flipping out with a lot of the plank based puzzles. The only thing I'd add is probably some kind of death counter? (Unless there was one I didn't see)

Something Flappy
I guess this deserves a mention because you somehow controls harder than original flappy bird and made the gameplay worse?

Catch a Fish
This is definitely a fusion game! (I usually just remove the menu bar unless you have custom icons). I really enjoyed the parallax effect of the water, it reminded me of old arcade/MAME games. You can also uncheck the property "Follow the frame" for GUI elements that you want to ignore scrolling with;

Cinder
I'm just going to post my earlier reaction to this game;

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

:wtc::wtc::wtc: what the gently caress is this :wtc::wtc::wtc:

Coinless
This made me wish it was 1993 again so I could visit local arcade 200km the next couple towns over and watch the "free play" demos of games.

Truck simul8or
Honk!

VectoRocket
Very slick graphics, simple to understand but hard enough to control, and the music was great. I got to level 5 by holding Up+Left. It's a little hard sometimes to distinguish the "front" of the ship.

Burger Game
The music drove me insane in this game, also it made me very hungry. I really enjoyed this, and rat disposal is something I never thought I would do in a cooking game.

Echo
Incredibly slick!

Pzzl
When the same colour worked the second time I scrolled through it on the first level, I realised what was goin on. I really dig the colour palette and the way the game looks overall. I also got a laugh out of "Wow! The first try! Let's move on!"

Sysadmin Simulator
I made it to work with minimal spillage! (In my slippers and nothing else). Great use of video gaming dong.

--------------

Also if your video game contains a dong of any kind, let me know for the bounty. I briefly played the robot platformer one with the dad frozen in the tub but I haven't had enough chance to explore it yet!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'd accuse you of being overly judgmental, but I guess we all literally came here to be judged.

A better idea would have been flappy bird clone with no gap in the first pipe. Less work and adhere to the theme!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

GlyphGryph posted:

S.I.G.H.O.

The dropbox link had gibberish attached to the end of the URL for some reason so that's fixed.

The intro cutscene should show the hole from the outside with the grocery bag and its contents splayed on the ground implying the person fell in. I don't know if it skipped an image (or how it could even do that honestly) or if it was just really poorly communicated (probably the latter). You can hit guards if you're close enough and pick up cats if you're close enough. This wasn't indicated well since when I tried to make the cursor change when it was possible to hit/grab I got stupid bugs that I couldn't sort out in time.

Oh man, you can toggle the phone away. That's pretty funny. I didn't put it in the game very clearly but it's on the awfuljams game page and the brand name of the phone is "T2Toggle" but clearly that wasn't a great solution.

The omission was supposed to be the abilities of a typical stealth protagonist. You make noise all the time, your heart races if you move too quickly too fast and make twice as much noise, you don't have trinkets/items (besides the cats, anyway) and you can't knock out guards (you hit them and they scream in pain). I didn't take my idea far enough and it just kind of comes off as a bland stealth game prototype but I'm glad you finished it, gave feedback and saw my very stupid story through to the end!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Also if your video game contains a dong of any kind, let me know for the bounty. I briefly played the robot platformer one with the dad frozen in the tub but I haven't had enough chance to explore it yet!

Unfortunately, this is all the dong the game has to offer, though it does have other things in other tubs in other secret areas.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Giggs posted:

The dropbox link had gibberish attached to the end of the URL for some reason so that's fixed.

The intro cutscene should show the hole from the outside with the grocery bag and its contents splayed on the ground implying the person fell in. I don't know if it skipped an image (or how it could even do that honestly) or if it was just really poorly communicated (probably the latter). You can hit guards if you're close enough and pick up cats if you're close enough. This wasn't indicated well since when I tried to make the cursor change when it was possible to hit/grab I got stupid bugs that I couldn't sort out in time.

Oh man, you can toggle the phone away. That's pretty funny. I didn't put it in the game very clearly but it's on the awfuljams game page and the brand name of the phone is "T2Toggle" but clearly that wasn't a great solution.
I saw that and tried pressing tab, but now I realize it was probably just 't' wasn't it? And let me guess - picking stuff up and knocking out guards don't work when you've still got the phone in front of you? That would explain that quite well!

I did see that image so I think it was just poorly implemented, it felt like there should have been another scene, like a side view where he's walking with the phone and then just drops out of screen. Also it turns out the game wasn't as cool as I thought it was because it wasn't even supposed to have the gimmick of your character being unable to take his eyes off his phone, which I thought was the best thing about the game (I just wished I didn't have to actually hold a button to move it around).

I don't know if I should give you more points or take points away for accidentally making a game I liked more than the game you intended to make.

also, it was the itch link that didn't work, the dropbox one was fine.

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010

Last Visible Dog posted:

Alright, time to play some more of these games!

XYZ

Kind of a neat concept. I cleared the first stage eventually with some difficulty. I'm not entirely sure how to play this game well, since all I could really do was run away.

Oof, well thanks for the feedback. It used to be even harder so at least I paired down being possible if you don't know what you're doing. There's a trick to getting guards off you. If you run in a serpentine motion it'll cause the ones latched onto you to fall off without being as vulnerable to get tackled. Also if you stand still on a camera point you'll wave your sign. It can be possible to clear 3 of those spots before the guards even show up if you're quick enough.

XYZ contains a dong, it's even in the title card!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

GlyphGryph posted:

I saw that and tried pressing tab, but now I realize it was probably just 't' wasn't it? And let me guess - picking stuff up and knocking out guards don't work when you've still got the phone in front of you? That would explain that quite well!

I did see that image so I think it was just poorly implemented, it felt like there should have been another scene, like a side view where he's walking with the phone and then just drops out of screen. Also it turns out the game wasn't as cool as I thought it was because it wasn't even supposed to have the gimmick of your character being unable to take his eyes off his phone, which I thought was the best thing about the game (I just wished I didn't have to actually hold a button to move it around).

I don't know if I should give you more points or take points away for accidentally making a game I liked more than the game you intended to make.

also, it was the itch link that didn't work, the dropbox one was fine.

It is indeed just T and yeah, having the phone up I think makes it impossible to click on anything. The accidental gimmick clearly is a better idea than what I actually did, and that's kind of sad.

I fixed the itch link, I forgot to add the "secret" url for private pages on itch, doi.

More feedback:

All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert
This is so much deeper than I thought it would be from seeing the screenshots during the competition. The voice acting is well done and the game feels good. Grandma won't stop dying though. Oh well.

Broken
Can't stop getting myself into situations where I can't get past the first level.

Cyber Sight
On the third stage I walked outside the level and it became much easier. The idea is cool and I really liked the effect of hearing an object popping up when relatively near, but I think there needs to be some fine tuning to make this more straightforward, the maze-like quality of blindly running around is a little frustrating.

Fraud Mode
What a great idea, it was really unique and pretty difficult to look natural. Surprising number of levels and nice little touches, especially the level ending animation/music cue.

Missing Teeth
Nice bit of fun, though for some reason my mouse didn't work the first couple times I ran it, and my computer really just can't handle UE4.

PZZL
Good and clever, got to the end maybe quicker than expected, but it was still fun.

Slide, Crash, Bounce.
The name is very true. Had the most fun in free mode doing rad back-flips over trees in an ambulance. If the cars were just a tiny bit more controllable I think it would be more fun but who doesn't love chaos?

Super Turbo Voynich Manuscript
Utter nonsense. Yup. Pretty great.

Sys Admin Simulator
Tried not to piss on the floor, failed like 5 times, I feel like the standards are higher than they should be.

Unarmed
Fun and short, nice idea, died a bunch of times after completing the objective of the room so I'm glad it still counted each time. Nice character design and funny dialogue.

XYZ
Mosiaced genitals, A++. Good idea, fun to dodge the guards, took a few tries before I got into the swing of things but the music and gameplay are both pretty nice.

So that's all the games, besides Dum. Really great work this year!

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Played through some more games and have a little more feedback if anyone's interested

PZZL
I had to read some of the spoilers in the thread because at first I wasn't getting it, I'm glad I went through it though. Once the music and the symbols changed it was pretty apparent what was going to happen but it did take me a while to realize what was going on with the gameplay, probably my only real complaint is that if I hadn't known better I would of given up before seeing the ending, I think it's a tough game to strike a balance between going too far or not far enough. The aesthetic of the game (graphically and musically) is really well done, I think you were going for a GameBoy Color palette? One strange thing though, the right hand side of the window was permanently stretched out and stayed that way, it didn't affect the gameplay at all but it did seem strange. I'm on Windows 10 and I'm using a monitor with DPI scaling, so that might be part of the reason why.

Impulse
First off you really did an amazing job with the animation, the GIFs in the thread from earlier didn't convey it as well as they look in game. I think the gameplay is well realized here but it might be a little unbalanced? I was using Bolt/Shotgun the entire game and got to wave 10 without dying, I'm guessing the game is just procedurally generated so I eventually stepped away to try some other games but I had a fun time playing through it. The music reminds me of games from the late 90s to early 2000s in a good way, however I didn't really get a good feel from the sound effects, often I felt like they were part of the music. I also never really looked or kept track of my score and it wasn't obvious when I was gaining or losing multipliers or gaining points, I also never found a use for the grappling hook to be honest. That said this is an overall really well done game!

Sub-Optimal
I managed to complete the game, the final boss gave me a laugh but I wish there had been a little more dialog. I think this has to be one of the best looking games, there's certainly a lot of unique art and well done animations, the only downside is that the tiny web player window makes you lose out on some of the details. Gameplay wise I think it worked but I kind of just brute-forced my way through it rather than really thinking about what I was firing, the best I could tell was that Corrosive was damage over time and that Ice would freeze the opponent? I never fired the cat though because seriously, what kind of rear end in a top hat does that? Humans beings are perfectly expendable though.

Vecto-Rocket
To be honest there were a few times playing through this where I was really surprised that I actually managed to kill an enemy instead of dying myself, I played for about 10 minutes but I wasn't really able to get all the good at the game, the trails on the stars in the background are a nice touch but did get a little distracting visually. I think you got the aesthetic and music down really well though and even though I'm terrible at it I can respect it for being well executed.

Go Fish
The presentation on this game is hilarious, the music is great, the sound effects are perfect, and graphically it looks really gorgeous. The gameplay is fun but I wish I had a second person around to try 2 players with, racing against the clock didn't do a whole lot for me (it helps that I'm really terrible at it!). The cursor was a bit tricky however, a few times I'd get stuck in a position where I could only aim it behind me and it jumps around quite a bit as the fish flails around. Probably the only other downside I could say is that in a few cases trying to discern what was an obstacle could be a little challenging and getting out of a corner is pretty tough.

Broken
I feel bad that I might not be giving this game a fair shake but I tried to play it for about 15 minutes before I got stuck on the 2nd level and gave up (part with the two vertical moving platforms). The controls are a little stiff but what really killed it for me was the knockback, I kept flying all over the place when trying to get somewhere and often couldn't really get a great idea of where the problematic hitbox was on the platforms. I think it's an interesting mechanical idea and like a lot of the other games I played I'm probably just terrible at it, but I eventually just put it down out of frustration.

All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert
Disturbing but really god drat funny, it feels like you made a game out of one of those PSAs where someone gets horrifically burned or something. The timers go down really drat quickly though (I'm guessing at least partially due to the pain meter?) and I wasn't able to get very far in the time I played. I'll have to come back to it and see if I can uh... survive. Have you tried pitching the game to the company that makes Life Alert?

I'll have to come back and play through the other games, in general anything that requires an installer is a little more off-putting (helps that Chrome and Windows both throw a ton of 'Are you sure you want to open this' boxes at you) but it's really great seeing the shear variety and overall quality of the jam this year. I still need to try out Catch a Fish, Tristam, Roller Darby, SIGHO, Dark Matter, and An Video Game (I watched part of the video review and spoiled myself though :()

Nanomachine Son fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 4, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Coinless
This made me wish it was 1993 again so I could visit local arcade 200km the next couple towns over and watch the "free play" demos of games.

Pretending to play racing games in attract mode was a depressingly large portion of my childhood.

Afal posted:

Some more reviews!

Coinless

Things I liked:
  • Screenshake
  • That's it
  • There's nothing else I liked

Things I didn't like:
  • The ball is moving too fast I have no idea what I'm doing
  • I don't have to control this game at all (intentional?)
  • Oh my god the beeping sound gets annoying thank god there's a mute button

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): It's a basic-rear end pong game
  • Control (Does the game control well?): The arrow keys just shake the screen but I don't feel as though it changes anything
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No losing? No control? Not really clear here
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): No
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): Appropriate use of screenshake

Final Score: 1 out of 5 stars

That's a fair review. I basically panicked since I only had half the work done on my original idea with very limited time to go and wanted something done for the contest. I promise I'll do better next year :ohdear:

Also it's a breakout game, not pong you philistine

Deki fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 4, 2015

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Catch a Fish
This is definitely a fusion game! (I usually just remove the menu bar unless you have custom icons). I really enjoyed the parallax effect of the water, it reminded me of old arcade/MAME games. You can also uncheck the property "Follow the frame" for GUI elements that you want to ignore scrolling with;

Thanks for the feedback! Can I ask how you managed to get the screen view in that configuration? I think I might have broken out some of the fishing/driving functions into groups that didn't overlap well with the left edge collision. Like if you drive to the store while the line is cast things get messed up it seems. Is that what happened to you here?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I should be resting but now I'm a junkie and my fix is working on vidya game. We're still making improvements and tweaks to Slam Fighter II with the hopes that people will enjoy it as a really good and fun game and not just "a good game for having just a month to work on it." And what's around the corner for Slam Fighter II?

Improved D-Trick smug portraits, now with 50% more smug!

More blingees for Serghei, to look like an awesome coolguy while you clown on fools! (If you haven't played Slam Fighter II yet, here's one reason why you should: )

And also for promotional purposes, a markov bot that posts in-character as Serghei!

that last one isn't actually true

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

JonTerp posted:

Just a FYI, Something Flappy has been given an honorary slot on the Wall-of-shame.

Why? Because it's literally just a flappy bird tutorial with the SAGDC X logo slapped on it. It does nothing to adhere to the theme or try to be anything but a legit direct tutorial project. Might as well have uploaded someone else's game.

Yeah, I don't think this is cool. Someone needs a gamejam to be forced to follow a tutorial to completion or make a direct rip of a game sure, w/e, they're not going to get a high score in the judging. Do we need to give excuses for people to :bandwagon: when the entire point of this is to be a resource for learning an a motivational effort to complete a game, literally no matter how lovely it is?

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Forer posted:

Yeah, I don't think this is cool. Someone needs a gamejam to be forced to follow a tutorial to completion or make a direct rip of a game sure, w/e, they're not going to get a high score in the judging. Do we need to give excuses for people to :bandwagon: when the entire point of this is to be a resource for learning an a motivational effort to complete a game, literally no matter how lovely it is?

Yeah the way I see it is that Something Flappy is great for this jam. It gives me, as a wall of shamer, extra shame because in one month I couldn't even be bothered to put together "literally just a flappy bird tutorial with the SAGDC X logo slapped on it".

Score it zero, give it a 'worst game prize', but wall of shame should be for the lazy and/or over-confident !

Plus if this was a legit "i'm learning to code, holy poo poo I made flappy bird!" then I might just cry a little.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Xibanya posted:

I should be resting but now I'm a junkie and my fix is working on vidya game. We're still making improvements and tweaks to Slam Fighter II with the hopes that people will enjoy it as a really good and fun game and not just "a good game for having just a month to work on it." And what's around the corner for Slam Fighter II?

Improved D-Trick smug portraits, now with 50% more smug!

More blingees for Serghei, to look like an awesome coolguy while you clown on fools! (If you haven't played Slam Fighter II yet, here's one reason why you should: )

And also for promotional purposes, a markov bot that posts in-character as Serghei!

that last one isn't actually true

10/10

Standing Ovation.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Forer posted:

Yeah, I don't think this is cool. Someone needs a gamejam to be forced to follow a tutorial to completion or make a direct rip of a game sure, w/e, they're not going to get a high score in the judging.

While I agree, we were all warned of the wall gaining sentience and a cold robot heart :smith:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

BossRighteous posted:

While I agree, we were all warned of the wall gaining sentience and a cold robot heart :smith:

I too wish to protest placing the game on the Wall of Shame. I was going to keep quiet but you know, "First they came for the flappy birds, and I did not speak out -- because I was not a flappy bird..."

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Our main issue with Something Flappy is that the entrant did nothing but follow the tutorial. No tweaks or modifications to the game were made besides a logo being placed on screen, if they'd simply made the first pipe cover the entire vertical length of the screen or just didn't let you flap it would have completely been allowed to stay and given the judges a good laugh.

Because the entry failed to add anything unique to the game what-so-ever, they might has well have just taken an open source Unity project off Github and submitted that. Good on them for finishing the tutorial but that isn't what this jam is about.

Next time we'll be sure to clarify rules on plagiarism and straight up tutorial clones.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

JonTerp posted:

Because the entry failed to add anything unique to the game what-so-ever, they might has well have just taken an open source Unity project off Github and submitted that.

It sounds like omitting such modifications was a critical mistake! :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Forer posted:

Submitting someone else's game is not making a game, and from all appearances that is what this person did though? It seems it was someone else's graphics, someone else's code, and someone else's design.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

JonTerp posted:

Our main issue with Something Flappy is that the entrant did nothing but follow the tutorial. No tweaks or modifications to the game were made besides a logo being placed on screen, if they'd simply made the first pipe cover the entire vertical length of the screen or just didn't let you flap it would have completely been allowed to stay and given the judges a good laugh.

Because the entry failed to add anything unique to the game what-so-ever, they might has well have just taken an open source Unity project off Github and submitted that. Good on them for finishing the tutorial but that isn't what this jam is about.

Next time we'll be sure to clarify rules on plagiarism and straight up tutorial clones.

Thanks for the explanation, that definitely makes a lot more sense to me now. Out of curiosity, I tracked down the end product of the tutorial:
http://quill18.com/ClonyBird/

You're right that it's almost exactly the same, except for the font and logo, although the only saving grace for Something Flappy is that it has some bugs and poor control issues that aren't present in Quill18's game. That at least shows that he likely built it by hand step by step instead of just downloading the finished source code.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
I played something flappy longer than Jon's game boy emulator from last year :shrug:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I was reading Afal's posts to see if he'd reviewed Slam Fighter II yet (review Slam Fighter II, Afal!) when I realized I did have one minor criticism of Zero Grab-Kitty. The banner announcing Kitty City covers up the 2nd world and seems to take a long time to disappear. For that reason I got confused at first and went over to the other side of the world select looking for it before I found it again near the start. That means either the banner needs to not cover up the 2nd world for so long or the game is laggy on my laptop which means it could be optimized a bit better -- I did notice the game seemed to respond slower on my laptop than in Jo's video (as in, the thrusters would fire with a second's delay or so after I pressed an arrow key) which is surprising because my laptop plays pretty much any 2d game absolutely fine - I regularly play Electronic Super Joy (probably my favorite video game ever) and its sequels on that laptop all the time as well as They Bleed Pixels without lag issues so it's a little surprising that I'd have problems with Zero Grab-Kitty. I have yet to fire up Zero Grab-Kitty on my bitchin' gaming rig so I'll do that when I get home and report back on my findings.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Afal posted:

I played something flappy longer than Jon's game boy emulator from last year :shrug:

Hey man, you mean ~choose your own adventure game boy emulator made to avoid the wall of shame~ thank you very much!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Also I really enjoyed posting updates on my goofy game and I enjoyed getting updates from everyone else - do we have a thread where we just talk about lovely games we're making for fun? Can we make one? The making games thread seems to have a more pro/industry bent. I just returned to a lovely javascript game I literally made on my iphone in JSAnywhere on a plane fight to and from Japan and not only do I want to blather about it, I want to see other lovely works in progress.

IN GAME FOOTAGE, NOT PRERENDERED.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Xibanya posted:

Also I really enjoyed posting updates on my goofy game and I enjoyed getting updates from everyone else - do we have a thread where we just talk about lovely games we're making for fun? Can we make one? The making games thread seems to have a more pro/industry bent. I just returned to a lovely javascript game I literally made on my iphone in JSAnywhere on a plane fight to and from Japan and not only do I want to blather about it, I want to see other lovely works in progress.

IN GAME FOOTAGE, NOT PRERENDERED.

I second the motion. Get it started :)

TodPunk
Feb 9, 2013

What do you mean, "TRON isn't a documentary?"

GlyphGryph posted:

Submitting someone else's game is not making a game, and from all appearances that is what this person did though? It seems it was someone else's graphics, someone else's code, and someone else's design.

This seems nitpicky for a gamejam. Talking about plagiarism is one thing, but nebulous discussion of what making a game is and isn't is probably not the productive angle to approach this subject as far as the discussion goes. Though as Jon said, there was no rules in specific enough on this, so I like that their approach is purely about what WAS in the rules instead of going retroactive. Classy all around.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I think that critically omitting original content is bold and avant-garde

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
The real game is getting everybody to talk about Something Flappy.

The person who made that is actually the one playing us all. :stare:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I am no industry buff but I always thought that game jams were meant to be open inviting inspirational hug boxes for anyone and everyone to try and make a game or any part thereof, if for no other reason than to say they tried. I might have even less respect for ~*'gamers'*~ than I already do if this isn't actually the case.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Takanago posted:

The real game is getting everybody to talk about Something Flappy.

The person who made that is actually the one playing us all. :stare:

It was all a dream.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

BossRighteous posted:

I am no industry buff but I always thought that game jams were meant to be open inviting inspirational hug boxes for anyone and everyone to try and make a game or any part thereof, if for no other reason than to say they tried. I might have even less respect for ~*'gamers'*~ than I already do if this isn't actually the case.

They definitely are hugboxes but people usually at least try to make something on-theme, because it's a community thing. If you want to do a flappy bird tutorial, that's perfectly fine, but why make it part of the Something Awful Gamedev Challenge? That's like joining a "Draw Sonic Competition" in the Official Sonic The Hedgehog Fan Forums and submitting a picture of Mario.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

They definitely are hugboxes but people usually at least try to make something on-theme, because it's a community thing. If you want to do a flappy bird tutorial, that's perfectly fine, but why make it part of the Something Awful Gamedev Challenge? That's like joining a "Draw Sonic Competition" in the Official Sonic The Hedgehog Fan Forums and submitting a picture of Mario.

It's almost exactly like joining a Draw Sonic Competition, and submitting a drawing of Sonic based on a How To Draw Sonic tutorial.
But I do see your point. I see everyone's point, but I just disagree that any completed game should be outright rejected to the Wall Of Shame instead of just scored 0 and moving along. I'll drop it.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Yeah, I thought the same thing about hug boxes. But learning how to make games via a flappy bird tutorial has its own hug box, and that box isn't a month long game jam.

It would have made more sense in that context for Diametunim to use the flappy bird tutorial as a start, and then expand on it to make it something worth submitting.

If it isn't shamed, future contestants might be inclined to submit tutorial clones on the last day in an attempt to avoid the wall.

And after all, it's not like the wall of shame is actually a bad thing. It's not like it disqualifies someone from trying again next year, or joining in other jams.

TodPunk
Feb 9, 2013

What do you mean, "TRON isn't a documentary?"

BossRighteous posted:

I just disagree that any completed game should be outright rejected to the Wall Of Shame instead of just scored 0 and moving along

I actually agree if we share the same definition of "completed game." The difference between our definitions is smaller than some might understand. I think in this case I just agree with the judges that "completed game" should have a token play to the theme, however small. To use your analogy, it's like Draw Sonic competition where the theme for the year is "Draw Sonic eating a chili dog" and you submit a drawing of sonic based on a Draw Sonic Running tutorial, sans chili dog.

It's not the quality of the Sonic in question, it's the meeting of that low bar.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

BossRighteous posted:

I second the motion. Get it started :)

Tadaaa: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734751

I want to see more poo poo like the Awful Bus work in progress gifs. Might have enjoyed those as much or more than the actual game, which had me busting a gut.

Kingel
Aug 24, 2006

I was worried I wouldn't be able to play many of these jam entries, but so far the ones I've tried work pretty well in Wine or have web builds (that aren't Unity web player games).

Cinder
I didn't really understand how to play most of the minigames, but there was at least one that was fairly intuitive (the creepy Cosby minigame).

Truck simulator
Already played this for a bit, so I tried to beat my high score and failed. It's a simple game, but I like it. Looking forward to giving the code a look later.

A Game of the Gaps
I got a couple of screens into this one before I got stuck. It wasn't immediately obvious to me that it required keypresses as input, but mashing random keys did the trick. It was hard to resist solving some puzzles more quickly by mashing keys rather than trying to examine the image, but I thought the ones I solved were pretty clever and made sense.

Sandlot Basenoball
Not really knowing the rules of baseball makes this a bit confusing. Otherwise, it's easy enough to play. I like the cat. I gave it a belly rub. :3:

NoChute
I liked that there was some variation in where the threats came from, although it took me a few tries to get past the witch. I liked the music, although it was a little repetitive, but I thought it fit the style of the game.

Tristram
I liked the idea of adapting prices to the amount of gold the characters have. I wish it was more obvious how often they used potions and such, and I didn't really get a sense of progression from watching the characters do stuff. At one point I realized I didn't know how to restock, but a new day started shortly after. I didn't realize I couldn't undo potion buying, so a confirm button would have been nice. The items in the GUI were tiny and a little hard to see. Overall, I thought it was an interesting game, but not intuitive enough.

Broken
I got to the second level before I gave up. Movement was a bit awkward and made the game frustrating, but overall I kind of liked how it felt like an obscure, late-90's flashback clone.

Sys Admin Simulator
Fun little game. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't much more to do, but I liked the ending.

Super Turbo Voynich Manuscript
It entertained me long enough that I managed to turn myself into a goat. I think I was expecting more of a puzzle element, but it was just weird and nonsensical instead.

GoFish!
I really liked the graphics and the floppy fish physics. I also liked the concept, and it was easy to grasp the mechanics and play. I found it difficult to even get bronze on the first level, although I did get better at it with each try. Might pick this up again later and try the multiplayer.

Last Visible Dog posted:

Ches
This is actually coded for the Commodore 64, right? It's impressive for just that, but there's not much to it otherwise. I managed to blow up the white piece with a bomb, and that's about it.
Thanks for giving it a try anyway!

Giggs posted:

Ches
By far the best name of the jam. Sometimes when I would check the site before the deadline I would just say "Ches" to myself for quite a while afterwards. Tried playing on the supplied emulator (after skimming for a youtube tutorial) and the set up joystick doesn't do anything. I'm probably doing something wrong. Still the best name though, so. And cool that you did a c64 game.
Thanks! :3:

Next time I'll stick with keyboard input, I think.

GlyphGryph posted:

Echo
I thought this was a good and fun game. I played the prerelease versions and thought so then as well, and it has only gotten better. Was very challenging. Did not beat this time around but I did beat all the previous versions I was shown and I might yet go back and do so. The art was good, including the backgrounds, and I stole one of the things to use in my own game with permission, which I guess makes it less stealing and more borrowing with intention of ever returning the thing borrowed. The ceiling vines are particularly challenging, and also annoying. Bees require me to be patient, which I am not. Overall a very good effort. 8/10
Glad I could make something stealworthy. :tipshat:

Takanago posted:

Hey, remember this bounty for Best Game Made In Two Weeks Or Less? Before I can start judging for it, I need to know which games fall into this category. I don't know what any of your dev processes were like, so I need you to tell me yourself. Just PM me or tell me in the thread or whatever.

For the record, '"Made In Two Weeks Or Less" means that you started development of your final game on or after July 17th. This includes if you started working on something before then, but abandoned it and restarted something new later.
If it counts, I started working on a game with a chess board on the 16th. My first two commits on the 17th were "Blergh" followed by "New game". Credit goes to Tann for the omission idea that later turned into Ches.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

holy loly whose beautiful voice(s) am i hearing on the wall of shame?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
The end goal for SAGDC (at least my version) is to be tough and judgemental, but at the same time giving each game a time in the spotlight and well thought out criticism for the developer on how they can improve. It's a larger focus on growth, driven by the pressure that someone of consequence is definitely going to thoroughly play your game and let you know what they think.

This is in contrast to something like a Ludum Dare, which gets piles and piles of games submitted that almost nobody will actually play. There's not a lot of real motivation to do well or push yourself if you aren't guaranteed a well thought-out critique, that's my perspective anyways.

All of this is a learning experience for us in finding ways to enforce a weighted game jam environment where people can grow as developers and artists. Going forward we're trying to bring in serious prizes and opportunities to the people that put in the immense effort to ship a polished jam game and show marked improvement from jam-to-jam. We can't do that sort of thing if we set the bar for an acceptable entry on the ground and waste a judge's time. I'd rather have a handful of great jam games than an unmanageable flood of zero effort entries to avoid the wall-of-shame.

It's a trade-off for sure, and it's something I could have done a better job at communicating at the start. In the future, we'll be clear about what isn't going to be accepted. We also can't improve without you all telling us how we're doing, so please don't take this as me "shutting you down". I appreciate everyone speaking their minds about poo poo we do wrong, seriously.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Xibanya posted:

I was reading Afal's posts to see if he'd reviewed Slam Fighter II yet (review Slam Fighter II, Afal!) when I realized I did have one minor criticism of Zero Grab-Kitty. The banner announcing Kitty City covers up the 2nd world and seems to take a long time to disappear. For that reason I got confused at first and went over to the other side of the world select looking for it before I found it again near the start. That means either the banner needs to not cover up the 2nd world for so long or the game is laggy on my laptop which means it could be optimized a bit better -- I did notice the game seemed to respond slower on my laptop than in Jo's video (as in, the thrusters would fire with a second's delay or so after I pressed an arrow key) which is surprising because my laptop plays pretty much any 2d game absolutely fine - I regularly play Electronic Super Joy (probably my favorite video game ever) and its sequels on that laptop all the time as well as They Bleed Pixels without lag issues so it's a little surprising that I'd have problems with Zero Grab-Kitty. I have yet to fire up Zero Grab-Kitty on my bitchin' gaming rig so I'll do that when I get home and report back on my findings.

Thanks for the words! Yeah, the banner persist for roughly 2-3 seconds which is probably too long. It also doesn't appear when you return to the level select from that same world though (e.g. returning to the level select screen from World 2 shouldn't display the World 2 banner) but this only works for worlds 2/3 and not for world 1 for some bizarre reason.

I made the game in Fusion 2.5 so I'm not sure where I can really optimise things when there's no code - do you mind posting your system specs?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

holy loly whose beautiful voice(s) am i hearing on the wall of shame?

Whoa, I had no idea there was audio on this page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Something Flappy was started on the 30th and done SOLELY to avoid the wall of shame. I can totally appreciate someone coming in and working a month learning how to program and making something as we've all been there. However, this entry was not that. Here's the post announcing it:

Diametunim posted:

Something Flappy
I followed a tutorial and beaten the wall of shame. :science:. I submit Something Flappy, it sounds exactly like it is, a Flappy Bird clone. I'm not proud and it isn't what I had in mind; but I can't ask for much else while juggling summer classes and battling poor time management.
I don't expect to even get judged but maybe I'll still win something for latest project start, 7/30/15.

I'm very excited to see and hopefully play everyone else's games. Watching people flesh their projects out and reading updates has been an awesome in of itself. Good luck to everyone submitting tonight!

I mean, if you aren't at least proud of what you submitted regardless of what state it's in, you probably did something wrong. And here's my review:

• Locked thread