Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplinteredMind
Jan 7, 2005

"I have to nap up. If I don't get a solid five, it kills my sunny disposition."

cyberia posted:

Where did you get the diskstation / how much did it run you? I've been procrastinating about setting up a NAS for way too long and my tax return is coming soon...

Got it from Scorptec here in Melbourne (for $699), just 1 6TB WD Red in it at the moment ... next couple pays will chuck another few 6TBs in. Fortunately this model has a 64bit CPU so will support arrays larger than 16TB - making it somewhat "future-proof" working perfectly as a plex media server at the moment.

On another note - got 1 of the Hue bulbs running in a cheap lamp from IKEA, extremely difficult to photograph!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Nice. I've always loved the look of paper lanterns. Yours reminds me of Tekio industrial lighting:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
There was a small accident with my Panasonic plasma TV and what good is a credit card if you got nothing on credit

Sony KDL-50W809C

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Keetron posted:

It is Artis in Amsterdam and for those jealous

I was just in Amsterdam and went to the Artis. While beautiful, the enclosures are a bit too small and it made me and my husband sad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I went to Artis, it was good and very pretty but I laughed at what a beautiful enclosure you made for raccoons.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i apparently have come across the recipe for my favorite etouffee at my favorite cajun spot and it was tasty

enjoy food pic that doesn't look appetizing

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SaltLick posted:

i apparently have come across the recipe for my favorite etouffee at my favorite cajun spot and it was tasty

We've got a thread for that.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

SaltLick posted:

That looks delicious, I want to cook it, could you post the recipe or PM me it?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SaltLick posted:

The best tasting cajun food looks like dog vomit.

I bet that tastes like heaven.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My shoes came. Sanders Stockholm from their Diplomat collection. Time to learn they don't work in Finland's climate!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Nice. I've always loved the look of paper lanterns. Yours reminds me of Tekio industrial lighting:

I recently switched from my old halogen torchiere lamps to Ikea paper lamps with TCP led bulbs and it's been interesting to see how well they match the spectrum of incandescent bulbs. Also made my electric bill happier.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I recently switched from my old halogen torchiere lamps to Ikea paper lamps with TCP led bulbs and it's been interesting to see how well they match the spectrum of incandescent bulbs. Also made my electric bill happier.

LED bulbs are funny. Basically I can keep all my lights on for the same price as 1 60W incadescent bulb. So I don't need to worry anymore about turning lights on & off all the time.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Ihmemies posted:

My shoes came. Sanders Stockholm from their Diplomat collection. Time to learn they don't work in Finland's climate!

Well, I'm sure they start out pretty uncomfortable, but by the end of their usable life, you'll never believe you were able to get by without them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ihmemies posted:

LED bulbs are funny. Basically I can keep all my lights on for the same price as 1 60W incadescent bulb. So I don't need to worry anymore about turning lights on & off all the time.

Yeah this except still turn your lights off when not in use because why on earth not? Using less energy than hundred year old bulbs isn't the same as using no energy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I also try not to breathe too often because that oxygen doesn't grow on trees.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Are they a little above Alden in the way Alden is a little above Allen Edmonds?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

davebo posted:

Yeah this except still turn your lights off when not in use because why on earth not? Using less energy than hundred year old bulbs isn't the same as using no energy.

When I'm home and it's dark, I just keep the lights on. Normally I use only floor lamps since they give nicer indirect light than lights on the roof. It's too much effort invidiually turning them on and off. Basically it's the same as keeping the PC on all the time when I'm home, can't be bothered to turn it on & off.

Average electricty prices have been 0.0287 € / kWh for June and 0.0377€ / kWh for July. So if my bulbs eat 60W/h, keeping them on for 16 hours is under 4 cents. Of course there's the electricity tax and transport fees and monthly fixed fees but the point is that I've never earlier used so little electricity and paid so little for it.

Josh Lyman posted:

Are they a little above Alden in the way Alden is a little above Allen Edmonds?

I have no idea. I tried Allen Edmonds shoes before buying these, but they had some heel slippage. I suppose the problem was that the shoes were brand new and needed some breaking in, but Sanders were cheaper (220€) because they weren't imported from USA.

Ihmemies has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Aug 3, 2015

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Sold my virtual knife (as well as some other virtual guns) and bought the following:

Vizio soundbar from Costco. I have a pretty bachelor-mode projector set up in my living room, and needed something to shoot sound out for when I had people over. I usually use headphones when I'm by myself. This beats the speakers from my macbook air.

Kindle Voyage. Hopefully this will last me as long as my Nook Simple touch (~5 years). Seems like the perfect e-reader.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Echeveria posted:

I was just in Amsterdam and went to the Artis. While beautiful, the enclosures are a bit too small and it made me and my husband sad.

Pick posted:

I went to Artis, it was good and very pretty but I laughed at what a beautiful enclosure you made for raccoons.

The zoo was founded in 1838 and since the first time I went there and now, many really small enclosures have been either removed, repurposed or enlarged. One of the mayor future plans is to give the parking lot to the elephants for example. No clue where I will have to park so I'll prolly travel in by bus.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Just purchased this t-shirt that a friend designed:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

beato posted:

That looks delicious, I want to cook it, could you post the recipe or PM me it?

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/746830-Treebeard-s-Shrimp-Etouffee

It's from a local place in Houston called Treebeard's that has some amazing red beans and rice as well.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Massdrop is so dangerous.

Vortex Poker 3

I don't need this

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mad.radhu posted:

Massdrop is so dangerous.

Vortex Poker 3

I don't need this

Mechanical? If so, I *need* this.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

Mechanical? If so, I *need* this.

your choice of Clears, Browns, or Blues. White or Black keycaps.

https://www1.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-poker-iii-compact-keyboard

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

once you get a topre with pbt keycaps youll never go back to abs on cherries. thankfully massdrop never has topres with pbts

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
no please don't

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

App13 posted:

Sold my virtual knife (as well as some other virtual guns) and bought the following:

Vizio soundbar from Costco. I have a pretty bachelor-mode projector set up in my living room, and needed something to shoot sound out for when I had people over. I usually use headphones when I'm by myself. This beats the speakers from my macbook air.

I too purchased this, but maybe a year ago. Have you figured out which of the surround speakers is left and which is right? Serious question, because I even called their tech support and still don't know which is which!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

mad.radhu posted:

your choice of Clears, Browns, or Blues. White or Black keycaps.

https://www1.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-poker-iii-compact-keyboard

I should not have been made aware of this website. I don't even like mechanical switches and I'll probably end up getting one within 6 months, now.

edit: wow, never had someone change my title. Now I wish I'd saved my old one from 10 years ago.

Glottis has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Aug 4, 2015

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

I too purchased this, but maybe a year ago. Have you figured out which of the surround speakers is left and which is right? Serious question, because I even called their tech support and still don't know which is which!

I hooked it up to my laptop, went into sound settings, did the little setup test, and differentiated them that way.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Why the silencer? You a hitman?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ChocNitty posted:

Why the silencer? You a hitman?

Killing people is probably one application for it, but bringing the decibel level of a gun below the instant-hearing-damage threshold seems like a good enough reason.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Tax Stamp/Logitech Keyboard Buddies! :buddy:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Today I wanted to buy a set of spark plugs for my bike. Okay, great. Hit up Amazon, I have Prime!

Spark plugs are "Add-on" only unless I want to pay shipping. So I wind up with about a $200 order because, well, if I'm ordering from Amazon I might as well pick up a new air filter, and grab an oil filter while I'm at it, and oh I need a new power strip for the living room as I've outgrown the 6-out and by the end of my shopping I've hit $200 or so.

Shipping notifications came in a couple hours later.

The majority of it all came from one distribution center, but spark plugs came from another distribution center, shipped separately anyhow.

gently caress you Amazon.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIV posted:

Tax Stamp/Logitech Keyboard Buddies! :buddy:

That's beautiful. An MP5 is the gun I've determined I will always want and never own.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I used to think the same thing but they are coming way down in price these days. You can get the gun itself for ~$1,500. Then get the tax stamp and stock later when funds become available. In the meantime you have a fun "pistol".

I can tell you right now though, barring horrible financial misfortune, I will never get rid of this gun.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SpartanIV posted:

I used to think the same thing but they are coming way down in price these days. You can get the gun itself for ~$1,500. Then get the tax stamp and stock later when funds become available. In the meantime you have a fun "pistol".

I can tell you right now though, barring horrible financial misfortune, I will never get rid of this gun.

So that's a pretend giggleswitch then?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Correct. They don't make a semi-auto non-finger grooved lower that I'm aware of, so I've got the SEF lower installed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's beautiful. An MP5 is the gun I've determined I will always want and never own.
If I ever got a gun, it would have to be a Walther PPK.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

If I ever got a gun, it would have to be a Walther PPK.

For under $500 you can make your dream come true today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

For under $500 you can make your dream come true today.
But is it the right choice for that type of gun?