Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Can Crimson spread through background walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

TWIST FIST posted:

Everyone seems to ignore the stardust cells which is a shame because they're really good. They apply a DoT that goes up to 100 damage per second and also lights up enemies which makes them easier to spot. They also ram and shoot enemies on top of that and tend to prioritize enemies that you're attacking. Also they don't seem to have that range problem with the moon lord.
They're decent, and make some good sense on paper, but after trying them both it really is a case of for most of what you're fighting the Dragon will just destroy it and have moved on while the cell is still applying it's dots.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ariong posted:

Can Crimson spread through background walls?

No. Crimsos/Corruption/Hallow only spread through certain blocks. I believe its regular stone, ice, all sand variants, mud, and dirt with grass on it. In addition to this vines and thorns that spawn in those biomes can convert valid blocks if they come within 4 tiles of them. Also the Hallow can't convert mud, so you don't have to worry about it doing anything too your jungle.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Metos posted:

They're decent, and make some good sense on paper, but after trying them both it really is a case of for most of what you're fighting the Dragon will just destroy it and have moved on while the cell is still applying it's dots.

its for bosses

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

No. Crimsos/Corruption/Hallow only spread through certain blocks. I believe its regular stone, ice, all sand variants, mud, and dirt with grass on it. In addition to this vines and thorns that spawn in those biomes can convert valid blocks if they come within 4 tiles of them. Also the Hallow can't convert mud, so you don't have to worry about it doing anything too your jungle.

Alright, I just saw some of the background behind the barrier pit I made turn to Crimson and I wanted to make sure that I didn't have to break all the walls so it didn't bridge the gap.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Ariong posted:

Alright, I just saw some of the background behind the barrier pit I made turn to Crimson and I wanted to make sure that I didn't have to break all the walls so it didn't bridge the gap.

yeah the backgrounds can become "corrupted" and such for aesthetic reasons, but don't actually pose a threat

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Metos posted:

The problem with Stardust Dragon (and also spiders) is that he is considered piercing damage. Enemies can only take damage from one piercing source at a time, so a backup dragon minion will override your main weapon if it pierces. This is very obvious if you use Razorblade Typhoon against an enemy with high hp. The homing shots won't even target it while it is taking damage from the dragon. From what I can tell, the cells don't have this problem. For exploring or building, the dragon is perfect.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Just saw this on reddit, very interesting idea.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is that painted stone? If it's crimson blocks then NPCs wont be able to live there.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I don't think it's supposed to be lived in. It doesn't look like you can even enter it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah its one of those buildings that is just meant to look pretty and is functionally useless.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah its one of those buildings that is just meant to look pretty and is functionally useless.

It IS at least closed, though. So it could theoretically function as a house.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

watho posted:

I don't think it's supposed to be lived in. It doesn't look like you can even enter it.
It is literally a 3D construct in a 2D game. The housing indicator would probably just explode.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
If I hide from a Solar Eclipse deep underground are my NPCs going to get wrecked? I never want to deal with another Solar Eclipse ever again

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

watho posted:

He said on reddit that he has to use teleporters or the Rod of Discord to enter it

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Asciana posted:

If I hide from a Solar Eclipse deep underground are my NPCs going to get wrecked? I never want to deal with another Solar Eclipse ever again

No. Enemies don't spawn huge distances off-screen.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Ok, I just need to finish Hardmode in my Medium world, instead of starting a new character over again in a Small world to see if it is different better.

Why do I always do this/get these thoughts?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

RatHat posted:

Is that painted stone? If it's crimson blocks then NPCs wont be able to live there.

looks like painted demonite bricks

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

just spent literally all day building a massive tower fort on a new world in preparation for playing through expert mode with a new character, still need to decorate half the npc rooms and figure out how to finish off the top in style

why is being creative so hard

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I still have problems with creativity. Mostly because I make rooms too small. At most they get some ceiling space for banners/trophies, but furniture and wall theming can be kinda hard.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Asciana posted:

Don't deal with solar eclipses, just build a safety shack and put a one pixel-tall lava pool on either side.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been tempted to trigger a solar eclipse in my ocean biome because I've got four tablets and zero pirate maps. But I'd definitely need some kind of fortress.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The White Dragon posted:

Don't deal with solar eclipses, just build a safety shack and put a one pixel-tall lava pool on either side.

Which does nothing for Reapers and Mothrons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Which does nothing for Reapers and Mothrons.

Neither of which show up til post-Plantera when he's probably both looking to fight eclipses and geared to do so.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

dis astranagant posted:

Neither of which show up til post-Plantera when he's probably both looking to fight eclipses and geared to do so.

No, they show up after Mechanical Bosses. It's just that Eye of Cthulu and Mothron Wings won't drop until post-plantera. And the issue isn't being geared to do it, he simply doesn't want to ever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Skip it with a sundial. If you get more than one in a week then :shrug:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The solution to "absurdly lethal event" is not "defeat bullet hell boss, even more absurdly lethal event, and absurdly lethal bullet hell boss."

The solution MIGHT be "edit sundial onto character," though.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Internet Kraken posted:

Skip it with a sundial. If you get more than one in a week then :shrug:

I've gotten 4 in a row before :argh:

... with Blood Moons during 2 of the 3 nights. :bang:

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
I'm flying semi blind in expert mode, and after a week of trying to fight the twins in my arena I just built an asphalt skybridge with the nurse at one end. In tandem with megashark + alternating ichor and crystal bullets became the easiest poo poo ever, and used the same setup to kill skeletron prime the next night.

Prepped a jungle teleporter tunnel with nurse in a sunken house at one end to take out plantera. Three for three, I'm on a expert hardmode boss smashing roll!

Next morning was an eclipse, before I had a chance to finish stocking up on potions I was exploded instantaneously by a moth.

The difficulty curve for solo expert is crazy. How the gently caress do I survive eclipses above ground now I can't hide in my afk farm? Not going underground cos I need all the yoyos.

Turtle armour, scourge of corruptor and all warding accessories including wormscarf, cthulu shield and ankh shield. I feel I should be tankier than I am :v:

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

What should I do while I wait for the 140 fishing quests I need for my second to last achievement?

Why, yes, I do hate myself, why do you ask?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Grimman007 posted:

What should I do while I wait for the 140 fishing quests I need for my second to last achievement?

Why, yes, I do hate myself, why do you ask?

Get several charcters outfitted with fleshcatchers/gold rods and end game armour and swicth between them. I ended up doing 4 quests every day on one world with 4 characters.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Spergminer posted:

Get several charcters outfitted with fleshcatchers/gold rods and end game armour and swicth between them. I ended up doing 4 quests every day on one world with 4 characters.

this is a good idea and i shouldn't have sold that extra hotline fishing hook

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Inge posted:

The difficulty curve for solo expert is crazy. How the gently caress do I survive eclipses above ground now I can't hide in my afk farm? Not going underground cos I need all the yoyos.

Turtle armour, scourge of corruptor and all warding accessories including wormscarf, cthulu shield and ankh shield. I feel I should be tankier than I am :v:

Make a Crimson world, rush it to hardmode and farm up a crimson key for Vampire Knives. You can also kill Golem to make Beetle Armor and a Celestial Shell/Stone.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Make a Crimson world, rush it to hardmode and farm up a crimson key for Vampire Knives. You can also kill Golem to make Beetle Armor and a Celestial Shell/Stone.

Do biome keys appear before defeating Plantera? And do you have to be a certain depth?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ArgaWarga posted:

Do biome keys appear before defeating Plantera? And do you have to be a certain depth?

They appear, but you can't use them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Grimman007 posted:

Well you can speed that along by creating multiple characters to turn in fish, but if you want to do it all on one guy... massive underground railroad system?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm kinda unclear on how you're supposed to get off a rail. Half the time I just jump and mash buttons until I finally manage to make that drat cart disappear.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The White Dragon posted:

I'm kinda unclear on how you're supposed to get off a rail. Half the time I just jump and mash buttons until I finally manage to make that drat cart disappear.

I think it's the mount button, so press R to get off the cart. Or use a grappling hook.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

You can also click the debuff to turn it off but yeah R is the easiest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

You can also click the debuff to turn it off but yeah R is the easiest

Logging out and logging back in again also works.