Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Amazon says August 18 for Hawkeye vol 4. I know Amazon is a little behind, but not usually that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Amazon says August 18 for Hawkeye vol 4. I know Amazon is a little behind, but not usually that much.

It was August 11th on Amazon up until this past week. I've had it on my wish list for over a year now, so I check often.

Still planning to pick it up at the shop on Wednesday, though!

By the way, Hip Hop Family Tree is an amazing series by Ed Piskor, and Amazon has the brand-new Volume 3 for half price. They're all oversized, like the Marvel Treasury Editions of the '70s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's on the invoice for arrival tomorrow. That's a pretty good indicator that it's hitting shops Wednesday.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Are they still releasing a hardcover with 12-22 of Hawkeye?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Are they still releasing a hardcover with 12-22 of Hawkeye?

Edit: Nevermind, they reactivated the listing.

quote:

HAWKEYE HC VOL 02
APR150916
FOC/OIC Date8/24/2015
Est Ship Date12/9/2015

The omnibus is currently scheduled for 10/21/15.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 28, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Awesome, thanks. I know what I'm getting for my birthday now.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I have the first OSHC, I'm not sure if I want to get the 2nd OSHC, or ditch that and just get the omni.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got the first Premier Hardcover, and it's kind of sad sitting there all alone on my shelf since I'm just getting the omni. I'd almost rather than OSHCs, though. They're usually easier to read.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have the books on hand for those who still doubted.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

By the way, Hip Hop Family Tree is an amazing series by Ed Piskor, and Amazon has the brand-new Volume 3 for half price. They're all oversized, like the Marvel Treasury Editions of the '70s.

These books are sweet. I got the first two as the box set. I wonder if they will continue releasing them that way as well.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
I have some questions about the Mignolaverse you fellow goons can hopefully answer.

Do the Plague of Frogs HCs get reprinted often, or was I just unlucky enough to get into it when they all started running out?
Why is only volume 2 of Lobster Johnson available in hardcover?
Why were Hellboy Midnight Circus and House of the Living Dead released in hardcover but not a single library edition?
Chances of Hellboy in Hell getting library editions and BPRD Hell on Earth getting HC omnibuses?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Street Soldier posted:

I have some questions about the Mignolaverse you fellow goons can hopefully answer.

Do the Plague of Frogs HCs get reprinted often, or was I just unlucky enough to get into it when they all started running out?
Why is only volume 2 of Lobster Johnson available in hardcover?
Why were Hellboy Midnight Circus and House of the Living Dead released in hardcover but not a single library edition?
Chances of Hellboy in Hell getting library editions and BPRD Hell on Earth getting HC omnibuses?

Reprint: The 4 collections are being rereleased as softcovers so I'm guessing reprints are unlikely. 3 is the only one I can't find at a good price FYI
BPRD Hell on Earth: I vaguely recall mention... somewhere that they would happen at some point, after the 194X collection. Possibly after Hell on Earth is finished, dunno.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!

Filling out collections here. My Preacher 5 is in limbo. Have another half box or so of tpbs I need to find space for as well :(

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Those are some dope shelves. I'd love something like then when I eventually move into a house.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I love the idea of built-ins but know I have far too many books to make it work, let alone dealing with super-sized books like Wednesday Comics or Prince Valient.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!
We just got new bookshelves but my wife relegated all the comics to the built ins. She didn't think it was a good idea on the bookshelves we purchased due to weight:

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

profbobo posted:

Filling out collections here. My Preacher 5 is in limbo. Have another half box or so of tpbs I need to find space for as well :(

Did you have to beat Absolute Dark Knight in there with a hammer?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So are the arguments for/against physical comics versus digital ones similar to the vinyl vs. digital music debate? I read mostly digital but god the stuff you guys have looks so drat cool. I dont even know where id start.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!

beergod posted:

So are the arguments for/against physical comics versus digital ones similar to the vinyl vs. digital music debate? I read mostly digital but god the stuff you guys have looks so drat cool. I dont even know where id start.

I read digital and get nice hardcovers of things I really like. No more floppies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Neep posted:

I read digital and get nice hardcovers of things I really like. No more floppies.

Yeah, this is where I am. It sucks to double dip, but it's something I rarely do at this point.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm a mix of floppy and digital, and I'll sometimes buy hardcovers of stuff I really like, or tpbs of non-Big Two stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I buy too many floppies, especially considering I'm giving my money to the only shop in town and it's kind of a lovely shop. But, it gives me something to do on Wednesdays and I usually end up meeting some friends for lunch afterwards. I'm hoping to purge my list significantly after Secret Wars.

Digital has replaced a lot of my trade buying, especially with Image. I'm much more likely to support them because of their DRM-free downloads. I tend to only buy Marvel and DC during their sales.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Neep posted:

Same. MU and a general disinterest /digital sales for DC has killed the majority of my tpb buying from the big 2, most of my favorite Image/DH/etc stuff gets nice hc collections, and that leaves Fantagraphics for my love and rockets normal trades.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

beergod posted:

It's like CDs vs digital music.

Vinyl vs. digital music is like someone going "Well I prefer the 1940's era paper, the colors have so much more warmth and soul, and I feel the story deep in my heart in a way that modern paper just can't produce. It's too white, too sterile, too cold."

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Neo_Reloaded posted:

It's like CDs vs digital music.

Vinyl vs. digital music is like someone going "Well I prefer the 1940's era paper, the colors have so much more warmth and soul, and I feel the story deep in my heart in a way that modern paper just can't produce. It's too white, too sterile, too cold."

My wallet prefers I buy trades, OSHCs and omnibuses but there's just something about reading an old comic book. The experience is different. The smell of that old paper reminds me of my youth. :unsmith:

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So I swung by a few local comic shops today for the first time in my adult life (so like, in 16 years) and...wow, the internet wrecked them, like it did all things local. When every trade is MSRP and Amazon/cheapgraphicnovels is undercutting everything you're selling by 50% or more, unless you are really into subsidizing the local culture, there is literally no reason to buy locally.

I assume the only way they're able to stay in business is by selling weekly floppies to people with pull lists, because those cost the same online (digitally and physically) as they do in stores.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Uthor posted:

I buy too many floppies, especially considering I'm giving my money to the only shop in town and it's kind of a lovely shop. But, it gives me something to do on Wednesdays and I usually end up meeting some friends for lunch afterwards. I'm hoping to purge my list significantly after Secret Wars.
I would not buy floppies were it not for the fact that the place I shop in is completely awesome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I only really get collections. Never really into floppies, not really into digital.

Does anyone know when DC and Marvel will be doing their next big release schedule announcements? It'll be for the first few months of 2016, so would September be about right, or would it be later?

Always fun to see what classic stuff they decide to collect.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone know when DC and Marvel will be doing their next big release schedule announcements? It'll be for the first few months of 2016, so would September be about right, or would it be later?

Latest Hachette catalogue for Marvel is here

http://images.abovethetreeline.com/ea/TW/pdfs/MARVEL-CATALOG-JAN-APR2016.pdf

Lot of reprint omnibuses (Miller DD, Elektra, etc) and a Random-poo poo-from-John-Byrne omnibus too.

DC stuff you tend to see as Amazon fishes before they announce anything. The Masterworks Messageboard is always on top of that sort of thing

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nice, a Superior Foes omnibus

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!

Street Soldier posted:

Did you have to beat Absolute Dark Knight in there with a hammer?

Looks like it but no. I tried putting the absolutes on the other shelves I have but the variability in the wood stopped that. These shelves are pretty even, and absolutes are too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shameless posted:

The Masterworks Messageboard is always on top of that sort of thing

Aye, I go there sometimes. Less often these days, so thanks for posting that link.

There's not a great deal I'm particularly looking forward to compared to the rest of this year - I'll be keeping an eye out for the X-Men Vol. 3 omnibus. Maybe the Frank Miller Daredevil omnibuses, seeing as they're getting new printings.

They're probably never going to do another New Warriors omnibus, are they? :(

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

Are Omnibuses and Absolutes actually readable? Normally I'd rather buy a hardcover set but most things that are released in Omnibus format are impossible to get separately in hardcover. Is there like a cutoff for a readable amount of pages, like Punisher Max at ~550 is okay but The Invisibles and New X-Men aren't worth the effort at over a 1000 pages?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Street Soldier posted:

Are Omnibuses and Absolutes actually readable? Normally I'd rather buy a hardcover set but most things that are released in Omnibus format are impossible to get separately in hardcover. Is there like a cutoff for a readable amount of pages, like Punisher Max at ~550 is okay but The Invisibles and New X-Men aren't worth the effort at over a 1000 pages?

I mean only you yourself will know what you like. I own some of the biggest ones like Simonson Thor and Age of Apocalypse and they're unwieldy for sure, but perfectly readable. I think they've gotten better over the years, though. Something like Uncanny X-Force has almost as many pages as Ultimate Spider-Man, but is much more compact to hold.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Street Soldier posted:

I'm done buying them because I prefer a more readable format. They have gotten thinner though, they use really crappy paper now.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Street Soldier posted:

I've given up on omnibuses completely. The thicker ones are readable (if cumbersome) if you're sat down but I like to read in bed and they're not good at all for that. Also, as mentioned, the paper quality has got worse and the extra $25 they're asking for them now makes them a huge no-no.

Absolutes are fine though and I'll still occasionally get those when there's something worthy of the format.

Dark horse Library Editions are still the best quality and best value out there though.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

DC list for early 2016 is here:

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=3672447

Gotham Central getting an omnibus and a vol 3 of Ostrander Sucide Squad listed.

Lot of decent older trades there for me, David / Frank Supergirl, Black Lightning, Ennis' Demon....

Downside... it looks like Ostrander's Spectre is done with, no new volumes listed. :-(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's not a great deal I'm particularly looking forward to compared to the rest of this year - I'll be keeping an eye out for the X-Men Vol. 3 omnibus. Maybe the Frank Miller Daredevil omnibuses, seeing as they're getting new printings.
The X-Men one is dropping in March.

I might pick up the Miller DD one too since it's getting a new printing.

Shameless posted:

Gotham Central getting an omnibus and a vol 3 of Ostrander Sucide Squad listed.
drat...I have 3 of the Gotham Central hardcovers, but I never got around to getting the 4th. I wonder is it worth tracking it down vs getting the omni. It always seemed difficult to find the v4 hardcover.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 7, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Wow, they never finished the TPBs of Giffen and DeMatteis' JLA/JLE run, but they're coming out with a "Superman and the JLA" volume with Dan Jurgens' bland run that followed immediately from Giffen/DeMatteis, ending right before Death of Superman? That's cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shameless posted:

Lot of decent older trades there for me, David / Frank Supergirl, Black Lightning, Ennis' Demon....

That "Immortal Doctor Fate" one looks interesting. I've not read any of it but the names attached (Pasko, Giffen, Simonson) have my attention. Looks like they're also doing a TPB collecting the concluding arc in Pérez's WW run - hopefully this bodes well for the prospect of everything between it and the omnibus being filled in.