Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

pangstrom posted:

I am pretty easygoing about soccer and I'm no prize myself but it's such a downer to have a person on my team who is so bad that passing to them is in effect turning it over. Wow they're open again in miles of space wonder why that is, time for another pity pass? Time to forget to look that way again? It's like you have to keep a separate scoreline in your head.

Some people panic when they get the ball and it's not a clear it, or pass it situation. It's just uneasiness and not being confident with the ball at your feet. It'll change eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Soulex posted:

Some people panic when they get the ball and it's not a clear it, or pass it situation. It's just uneasiness and not being confident with the ball at your feet. It'll change eventually.

i play on a coed team and one of the girls is just downright useless. she's too uncoordinated to clear or pass it and too unathletic to defend. our game is the only time she ever plays so it'll take years before she can actually contribute.

oh well, that's recreational co-ed for you :350:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Soulex posted:

Sorry that comment was really meant in this context:

Olewithmilk posted:

Wednesday's outside on astroturf with women/fats/olds who can't really play. No real point to this post, just my 5-a-side tribulations.
and I was just chiming in with my take on "people who can't play" thing. I understand stuff like giving the thru ball to the fast guy or looking off the guy with a bad touch who is in traffic in the center of the pitch, but I don't like having to make the terrible-person-in-acres-of-space choice more than a few times in a game. I mostly only play a Sunday pickup game with other older folks these days and I'm always hoping the super stinkers don't show.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Don't mind me.

I don't mind playing with women, some I played with were loving outstanding. We had one, Julie, that could cross the ball and mark it with amazing accuracy. Loved playing with her.

I do have bad experiences though. I laughed when one got smacked in the face with the ball from a clearance and she got pissed, really loving pissed that I was laughing. Another one took a dive right near me when I cut in front of her to intercept. She started being super bitchy like "don't loving hit me like that!" and I hadn't even touched her. Whatever.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I haven't been able to play for two months as I got creamed from the side by a girl who was a foot shorter than me :(

Severally damaged the tendons on both sides of the foot and also hurt my Achilles and bruised the bone. Probably been less injured if she'd hit me with her car

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I understand the frustration of playing with people that are a guaranteed turnover. I deal with it now by mentoring them on the field. If they know they are bad they respond well. I pass it to them and encourage them to pass early. I run to them to always give them a short option. The end result has been these less skilled fullbacks end up better than the midfielders we have that don't understand short passing and moving off the ball.

This is a long process on a two season a year team.

If it's pick up game just go steal the ball from them.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

I understand the frustration of playing with people that are a guaranteed turnover. I deal with it now by mentoring them on the field. If they know they are bad they respond well. I pass it to them and encourage them to pass early. I run to them to always give them a short option. The end result has been these less skilled fullbacks end up better than the midfielders we have that don't understand short passing and moving off the ball.

This is a long process on a two season a year team.

If it's pick up game just go steal the ball from them.

Did they just end up in the fullback position? Cause that's where my coach put me when he thought I needed fitness. I wasn't 1st team so I wasn't allowed to have blood bags yet.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Bad players get put at the left and right fullback on most teams in our league. Most teams are bad.

Our league has about 4 or 5 divisions. Premier, First, Second, Third, Fourth....A new team starts at the bottom and works their way up. We started probably 4 or 5 years ago and went up to 1st division and have been middle of the pack. We have a couple "weak links", but they have heart and are getting better. We can't get over the hump and get ourselves into premier. Our biggest problem is we also put average skilled slow people in the midfield. They are too scared to play defense, so our midfield gets ripped up by good teams. The captain forces me to play center back or either stopper or sweeper based on the formation. Last offseason I pleaded to play more midfield, so the very first game last season he started me at striker, and said "Are you happy?" His mentality equates not playing defense with scoring goals, so he thought that would make me happier than putting me in the midfield. I just want to help the team win. He's a good guy, but he isn't a tactician at all.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

Bad players get put at the left and right fullback on most teams in our league. Most teams are bad.

Our league has about 4 or 5 divisions. Premier, First, Second, Third, Fourth....A new team starts at the bottom and works their way up. We started probably 4 or 5 years ago and went up to 1st division and have been middle of the pack. We have a couple "weak links", but they have heart and are getting better. We can't get over the hump and get ourselves into premier. Our biggest problem is we also put average skilled slow people in the midfield. They are too scared to play defense, so our midfield gets ripped up by good teams. The captain forces me to play center back or either stopper or sweeper based on the formation. Last offseason I pleaded to play more midfield, so the very first game last season he started me at striker, and said "Are you happy?" His mentality equates not playing defense with scoring goals, so he thought that would make me happier than putting me in the midfield. I just want to help the team win. He's a good guy, but he isn't a tactician at all.

Yeah, I was always a sweeper or whatever. Really only played the sides during scrims and the like, help me get fitness and because he liked my crosses (I do this weird super back spinny, floaty cross that has okie dokie hang time). That and the combined teams practiced together and didn't have many fullbacks either. But yeah, lots of bad players on fullback, I still am one of them, though I'm a lot more comfortable in front of my keeper.

Got back form the doc, and they put a doppler on my foot and had me flex my foot and saw/heard that I completely (that they could hear) lost my pulse in my lower legs whenever. On top of my foot it turned into a weird triple beat thing instead of the typical bum bum, bum bum of blood going through. So that would explain the pain. They want to do one more test before they decide to cut me open again. Apparently they'll be cutting behind my knees and opening up some of my muscles so they don't strangle my artery.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
You guys still play with sweepers?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
My coed team plays with a sweeper because he's by far our best defender and has ridiculous speed and stamina for a rec league. He gets forward a lot too, Beckenbauer-style.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I had an incompetent keeper

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I was only half-serious. The coach of one of my daughter's teams used a diamond 4 in the back and he played her at sweeper all the time. In some ways I think it helped her development as a defender but I think the last couple seasons she played there it hurt her in terms of understanding how to play as a defensive unit and other more advanced concepts she should be learning at her age. From a tactical perspective I think it leaves too much space that only takes a semi-decent attack to exploit. But certainly in more casual play it can make sense if you have one really poo poo-hot defender (or a really poo poo keeper).

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Another good reason to play a sweeper is that in the lower leagues linesmen are a joke, so playing an offside trap only leads to frustration.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Messyass posted:

Another good reason to play a sweeper is that in the lower leagues linesmen are a joke, so playing an offside trap only leads to frustration.

Don't get me started on poor ARs. My other daughter who plays had a very nice left footed goal taken away from her on a very poor offsides call this weekend. Timed her run perfectly and got a very nice ball in from the right side. That is just part of the game as we all know but still quite maddening.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

We usually have a sweeper because I play stopper. If the other team has a standout forward I'll man mark him. Otherwise I get forward a lot and go from sideline to sideline to help the outside fullbacks. I'm 36 now, and I'm getting too old to play like that. I've been thinking about playing in the over 35 division. Quality of play is actually a lot better in that division but there's not as many young Africans I have to chase.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Come to lower league Australia and marvel at the idea of ever having linesman at all.

Hell, when I was playing in the Granville district having a ref was a luxury.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

iajanus posted:

Come to lower league Australia and marvel at the idea of ever having linesman at all.

Hell, when I was playing in the Granville district having a ref was a luxury.

This ftw, the ref is just a glorified timekeeper if you've even got one

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I love playing soccer and generally support my teammates this is just some negative stuff I want to share.

I got so tired of suggesting that our defensive line stop playing such an aggressive trap and then losing their minds when they didn't get tight offside calls. It's a league full of terrible teams full of terrible players, why would you expect the refs to be great? Why would you keep doing something and then go nuts when you don't get the call for the three-thousandth time? By the way the guy IS onside half the time you dummies jesus christ.

Also the obsession with "playing it out of the back". Yes that is the ideal way to play MOST of the time for MOST teams but hey sure seems we're giving up a lot of easy goals today feel free to chuck it up to the forwards or just clear it blindly sometimes!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

pangstrom posted:

Also the obsession with "playing it out of the back". Yes that is the ideal way to play MOST of the time for MOST teams but hey sure seems we're giving up a lot of easy goals today feel free to chuck it up to the forwards or just clear it blindly sometimes!

I blame Barcelona for this.

I'm serious.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

How are you still alive I don't get it

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Gigi Galli posted:

I blame Barcelona for this.

I'm serious.
That's definitely part of it, but there is an American version that predates that. American players, especially older ones, can get dogmatic about what Ugly Bad American soccer is. What I'm thinking of is overly focused on stuff like not: launching the ball, but also not: kicking with your toe, trapping with the outside of your foot, relying too much on your dominant foot, etc. Typically they were taught soccer by a friend's dad who read a book and went to a couple certification classes (which is how I was taught, too, but obviously those are lessons for kids to get them started not absolute rules for every situation).

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

pangstrom posted:

...not: kicking with your toe, trapping with the outside of your foot...
Both essential skills imo.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Why wouldn't you want to trap the ball with the outside of your foot?

Also there's definitely a time and a place for a cheeky toe ball.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

You're only allowed to trap the ball with the instep because coaching in Australia and presumably America is focussed on teaching the basics as opposed to the other versions of football to a hilarious degree, ensuring that only those basics are taught to a high level of competency because kicking with your toe or whatever is what they do in the other football codes, and thus bad. It's a mark of insecurity around the sport imo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That's mental.

I really don't understand the instep thing, though. There are so many situations where taking the touch on the outside of your boot makes more sense. Laughing at the idea of Messi waiting for the ball to roll onto the instep of his right foot.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Death to America clearly

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Bogan Krkic posted:

You're only allowed to trap the ball with the instep because coaching in Australia and presumably America is focussed on teaching the basics as opposed to the other versions of football to a hilarious degree, ensuring that only those basics are taught to a high level of competency because kicking with your toe or whatever is what they do in the other football codes, and thus bad. It's a mark of insecurity around the sport imo.
Yeah it's kids stuff and yes insecurity. Kids who-don't-grow-up-in-a-soccer-culture-or-whatever will often start off kicking with their toe as their go-to option. They'll trap with the inside of their right foot if the ball comes from their left and with the outside of their right foot if the ball comes from their right. They'll head the ball off the top of their head. They'll kick it as hard as they can instead of passing etc. etc. A lot of casual American players growing up learned to NOT do those things and not much else.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Insanely Sikh posted:

How are you still alive I don't get it

I don't know. I'm beginning to think its a cosmic joke at my expense. Next thing to happen is carpal tunnel or some poo poo.

That and people are spending a lot of money to keep me alive and healthy-ish. Which is the weirdest realization. I've probably had enough medical care to cost around 300k or something.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Soulex posted:

I don't know. I'm beginning to think its a cosmic joke at my expense. Next thing to happen is carpal tunnel or some poo poo.

That and people are spending a lot of money to keep me alive and healthy-ish. Which is the weirdest realization. I've probably had enough medical care to cost around 300k or something.

You burden on society, you

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
just get some new legs from this dude

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

JFairfax posted:

just get some new legs from this dude

Probably has a better first touch than Soulex lol.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Probably has a better first touch than Soulex lol.

Pretty much

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Based on my coaching experience I more or less agree with what was said. A few minor quibbles but not worth hashing over. However because many American children don't grow up playing the game from a very young age an emphasis on fundamentals is a requirement more so than it might be elsewhere. I'm also a firm believer that "there are not tactics without technique." I've found that the girls I'm coaching have an appropriate level of understanding of what they should do but struggle to do it because they lack technique, especially under pressure. My general feeling with American youth soccer is that even as they get older very few are ever truly comfortable with the ball at their feet. In the last league I coached we had small number of Mexican youth who played with us and they all were just more fluid and comfortable with the ball than the other kids their age, even ones that weren't particularly stand out athletes otherwise. I will say that this has improved in the years that I've been coaching and certainly soccer is making a lot of headway in America.

Soulex posted:

Pretty much

Guarantee it's better than mine, although that's not exactly setting a high bar.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Based on my coaching experience I more or less agree with what was said. A few minor quibbles but not worth hashing over. However because many American children don't grow up playing the game from a very young age an emphasis on fundamentals is a requirement more so than it might be elsewhere. I'm also a firm believer that "there are not tactics without technique." I've found that the girls I'm coaching have an appropriate level of understanding of what they should do but struggle to do it because they lack technique, especially under pressure. My general feeling with American youth soccer is that even as they get older very few are ever truly comfortable with the ball at their feet. In the last league I coached we had small number of Mexican youth who played with us and they all were just more fluid and comfortable with the ball than the other kids their age, even ones that weren't particularly stand out athletes otherwise. I will say that this has improved in the years that I've been coaching and certainly soccer is making a lot of headway in America.

Guarantee it's better than mine, although that's not exactly setting a high bar.

Coaching was something I was going to do with my sons when they get old enough and I was definitely going to have them focus with ball at feet and comfortability first off. I know that was my biggest issue when I first started playing. Line of thinking was, get ball? See person? Hoof it! I've since learned, and know better now, and in theory it's easier. But until I have some practice at again I'll be shaky.

Also yeah. First touch passes are a weakness for me. I've done some good ones like taking a cleared ball with my knee and hit it directly to my teammate a few times but most of the time it's too hard or too soft. I can't find that medium. I learned how to make the ball sleep somewhat and can do a bit of keepy ups, but nothing great by any means.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Soulex posted:

Coaching was something I was going to do with my sons when they get old enough and I was definitely going to have them focus with ball at feet and comfortability first off. I know that was my biggest issue when I first started playing. Line of thinking was, get ball? See person? Hoof it! I've since learned, and know better now, and in theory it's easier. But until I have some practice at again I'll be shaky.

Also yeah. First touch passes are a weakness for me. I've done some good ones like taking a cleared ball with my knee and hit it directly to my teammate a few times but most of the time it's too hard or too soft. I can't find that medium. I learned how to make the ball sleep somewhat and can do a bit of keepy ups, but nothing great by any means.

It's all about repetition. More touches the better. It's kind of weird how some things I'm actually pretty good at even though I've only ever played casually. Things I'm not good at make sense. For instance, I can volley the ball really well. Makes no sense. I'm an average ball handler at best. What is pretty cool is that other sports I've played extensively and am good at, namely basketball and rugby, do have transferable skills. Obviously not physical ones but both of those rely a lot on the concepts of space and how to use it offensively and how to take it away defensively. This really helps me out when I'm playing soccer in terms of seeing the field and finding space off the ball.

This was posted in the Android gaming thread but it really deserves to be here:

I laugh every time I look at it.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Soulex posted:

My first coach throughout juniors was an old Scottish bloke who's idea of defence was to hoof the gently caress out of the ball in any direction bar your own net whenever you had it, regardless of pressure. Even today I find it hard to relax on the ball.

In other news, today I'm defending against a former Juventus youth player! RIP our positive goal difference

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tongues posted:

My first coach throughout juniors was an old Scottish bloke who's idea of defence was to hoof the gently caress out of the ball in any direction bar your own net whenever you had it, regardless of pressure. Even today I find it hard to relax on the ball.

In other news, today I'm defending against a former Juventus youth player! RIP our positive goal difference

Northern conspiracy. Make sure to tell him that Allegri has done great things for the club so far. Like selling Vidal and Tevez

Just got scheduled exploratory surgery for the 24th. If they find something then more surgeries after that.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Tongues posted:

This is one of my biggest peeves in coaching the little ones. It's exacerbated by the fact that many of the American parents have no concept of the game and cheer madly when little Johnny does a big kick! Drives me bonkers when I see coaches encouraging that.

Good luck today with your lucky draw. Hope you have a solid keeper. See robot picture above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
We only lost one nil in the end! Came off a corner so that's always loving shithouse but all in all not too bad. I don't think our forwards managed a shot on target though, which is a bit of a shame since we could have probably taken the points with a bit of keeper-testing.