Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They can be. There was a monk's profile from one of the world first groups that had a 180 chest with five grade V materia in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Lumis posted:

Basically this. If you cannot overmeld 5's, it makes the mainhand i170 crafting tools pretty garbage because it only has 1 "free" slot. The website I use is giving me the indication that you cannot; hence, I'm asking for information if someone actually knows whether or not it's possible.

The website may not allow forbidden melding on the grade V materia just because they don't know the success rate yet, because nobody's reported it. Remember, the chance of a given meld's success varies with the grade of materia involved. I doubt it's because you can't actually overmeld grade V materia.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stufoo posted:

For reference, in 210 tank armor will only mitigate almost 43% of damage. Saying that foresight is only (43 x 1.2 = 51.6) 8.6% mitigation is technically true, but since rampart is only taking true from (57 x .8) 45.6, it's only worth 11.4. If 20% = 11.4, then it's mitigation efficiency is .57. Foresight (8.6) / .57 = 15% mitigation. Foresight is 3/4 of a Rampart in 210... Without tank stance/inner beast

Thanks for the explanation. Just a quick question: what does the 57 (from the 57 * 0.8 calculation) refer to? Is that just an arbitrary damage number?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

What's the last we heard about attempts on A4S? I know Elysium is attempting it but I cant recall it Lucrezia has cleared A3S yet, surely they must have last night

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

Thanks for the explanation. Just a quick question: what does the 57 (from the 57 * 0.8 calculation) refer to? Is that just an arbitrary damage number?

The amount of damage you're taking after defense mitigation at i210 is 57% if you're mitigating 43% of damage with defense.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FaintlyQuaint posted:

The amount of damage you're taking after defense mitigation at i210 is 57% if you're mitigating 43% of damage with defense.

Where does the additional 14% come from? Is that Grit/Shield Oath adding on multiplicatively to the base mitigation?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

Where does the additional 14% come from? Is that Grit/Shield Oath adding on multiplicatively to the base mitigation?

What additional 14%?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FaintlyQuaint posted:

What additional 14%?

Sorry, I meant the 57% mitigation you mentioned vs. the 43% base mitigation from defense (57 - 43 = 14). I might just be misunderstanding the equation badly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vermain posted:

Sorry, I meant the 57% mitigation you mentioned vs. the 43% base mitigation from defense (57 - 43 = 14). I might just be misunderstanding the equation badly.

100 - 43 = 57.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zereth posted:

100 - 43 = 57.

Oh, right, duh! Thanks to y'all for your patience.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Warren posted:

Yes, but you need Pugulist to become a ninja anyways. You might want to start out in Ul-Dah, do the MSQ until you can airship around and then switch to Rogue. It'd save time at any rate since you'd have Internal Release earlier.

Yeah that makes more sense, start as a Pugulist so you'll have that requirement knocked out.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

So a boss hits you for 10,000 base damage hit.

Without any kind of mitigation other than the defense on your armor, that attack will hit you for 5,700 damage (approx) at i210. That is because 4,300 damage of that base 10,000 was mitigated by your defense. So you're taking 57% of the damage from any base hit, and you mitigate 43% of the damage from any base hit. Two ways of saying the same thing.

fakedit: Basically what Zereth said.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Rei_ posted:

What's the last we heard about attempts on A4S? I know Elysium is attempting it but I cant recall it Lucrezia has cleared A3S yet, surely they must have last night

Lucrezia got A3 down the day after Elysium. We'll probably start seeing streams later this week of A4, but as far as I know nothing has been leaked yet.

Paging Chyea for the sweet deets on a4 savage

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

In extremely important news, Moonfire Faire is back!

Give me a two-seater bombchair Yoshi

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It turns out a DRK and a SCH can duo Tioman if both DPS ragequit early because they can't dodge for poo poo. I don't recommend doing this, though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zweihander01 posted:

I can't wait to have a lesbian catgirl/potato flying romance of my very own.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I think the Moonfire Faire last year was the first seasonal event I encountered, so /bombdance and the yuakatas were pretty great to see. More pretty glamour clothing this year too it looks like. :unsmith:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Zweihander01 posted:

rather have the flying one first

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

nuru posted:

I think the Moonfire Faire last year was the first seasonal event I encountered, so /bombdance and the yuakatas were pretty great to see. More pretty glamour clothing this year too it looks like. :unsmith:
Dyeable clothing, too.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Quarantine is now a 10 second dps check. Have fun, summoners.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

More importantly, if they're new to tanking, they might be anxious because everyone thinks they are an rear end in a top hat bad for not being able to hold threat, or might be going through great lengths to keep aggro but bumbling and flustered and letting other stuff go wrong, which is a thing I've certainly seen on occasion. Spreading out threat to make their job easier might be nice, though it might be best to just say something to the effect of "don't worry, you are doing fine but the gear difference is making this hard, hit the other monsters and build threat on those. I won't die tanking one of these things."

From two pages back, but this has absolutely been my experience since I started heavensward content. At least now I understand why people were so amused with all my apologizing for dropping threat. :unsmith:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MohShuvuu posted:

Quarantine is now a 10 second dps check. Have fun, summoners.

Guess you'd have to hold a DWT and tri-disaster just to see if you get thrown in quarantine? Probably also would need to use ifrit for the fight too for the slightly more damage without enkindle.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

They made their own loving theme song. This is the peak of FFXIV.

Also gently caress yes, it's been killing me not being able to /bombdance. I really hope we can get it this time around.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Zweihander01 posted:

Still waiting on that dancer's outfit they teased before HW's launch.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Athenry posted:

??? you mean the one that's in game right now and has been since HW?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Athenry posted:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/recipe/a0f287ff7ae/

That?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Athenry posted:

Search for Thavnairian on the market board. Then bitch about the price.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Athenry posted:

You mean the one that's been selling for millions of gil since launch?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

i am pretty sure that is a kid miqo'te

unless lalafells have giant ears that ive literally just never noticed because lalafells are potatoes and not worth paying attention to

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Captain Oblivious posted:

You mean the one that's been selling for millions of gil since launch?

Apparently I don't pay enough attention. At least now I don't have to wait.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

a kitten posted:

Isn't that the endgame goal for XIV "roleplaying"?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there any way in Windows or FFXIV somewhere to change what sound device it's outputting to without having to wholly restart the client? I have to do they every time I plug in my USB headset or switch to it in Windows, and it's bloody aggravating.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

FaintlyQuaint posted:

unless lalafells have giant ears that ive literally just never noticed because lalafells are potatoes and not worth paying attention to

They totally have big ol ears.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Lalas totally have elf ears. Also cat ears are on the top of their head, not the sides.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

That's a lalafell. Look at the legs.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any way in Windows or FFXIV somewhere to change what sound device it's outputting to without having to wholly restart the client? I have to do they every time I plug in my USB headset or switch to it in Windows, and it's bloody aggravating.

Unfortunately no.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Can I deck my self out in the most outlandishly hosed up over the top plate armor in this game? I finally got in as a marauder but that lancer armor in the chat create preview looks sweeeet

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Can I deck my self out in the most outlandishly hosed up over the top plate armor in this game? I finally got in as a marauder but that lancer armor in the chat create preview looks sweeeet

There's a lot of armor variety, yeah. Plenty of full plate armor sets to make you look like you just walked out of a museum armory display.

This game also lacks that oversaturated Warcraft-styled design standard we've seen in so many other games. So don't expect ludicrously huge spiked pauldrons. The biggest pointy armor piece you'll likely see is a summoner's horn.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Chairman posted:

Unfortunately no.

Fuckin' boo-urns. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been going through my quest backlog, and I'm trying to finish up Legacy of Allag. Is there any rhyme or reason to when a FATE is launched?

• Locked thread