Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It's been ages, but I seem to remember one of the Morrowind devs released a Dwemer RPG mod after the game came out. It wasn't one of their official addons but there you go.

Edit: Yup, Wormgod aka Gary Noonan. Still works at Bethesda too.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Ak Gara posted:

What happens when guns finally get added to an Elderscrolls game :confused:

Is it really a bigger stretch than a crossbow? Personally, I think it'd be cool if they added more martial arts stuff and let you do combos for elemental bending, like how Shouts could be used as a magic substitute.

Basically, I'm trying to say Bryke needs to write Elder Scrolls VI. Also Fallout.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Filthy Casual posted:

Is it really a bigger stretch than a crossbow?

How are crossbows a stretch?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

marktheando posted:

Yeah, they are relatively simple machines compared to the ridiculous complexity of even the most basic spear.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nevets posted:

Yeah, they are relatively simple machines compared to the ridiculous complexity of even the most basic spear.

Look, swords are fast, maces are strong, and axes are in between. I'm sorry, but there's no room for spears.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

sounds like bethesda needs to learn the weapon triangle from fire emblem

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

marktheando posted:

They aren't. Given that this game series literally has giant robots armed with ballistas, I don't see why guns would be all that hard to accept. Unless there somehow isn't an explosive powder ingredient in any installment.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I mainly dislike the hacking because it requires me to do the thinking, rather than the character I'm roleplaying as.

Sure it gives you an advantage if you have high science level, but it's very slight. The odds are stacked against you if you don't like puzzle games in real life.

Basically gently caress hacking is what I'm saying. :colbert:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Filthy Casual posted:

They aren't. Given that this game series literally has giant robots armed with ballistas, I don't see why guns would be all that hard to accept. Unless there somehow isn't an explosive powder ingredient in any installment.
Just like in many other fantasy settings, gunpowder doesn't exist in Elder Scrolls.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Anyone else selected an item at random then you had to collect EVERY SINGLE one you came across?

My house was full of teddy bears and garden gnomes.

Old world money, all the time. I never drop it off, either, just carry it all with me all the time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

KiddieGrinder posted:

I mainly dislike the hacking because it requires me to do the thinking, rather than the character I'm roleplaying as.

Sure it gives you an advantage if you have high science level, but it's very slight. The odds are stacked against you if you don't like puzzle games in real life.

Basically gently caress hacking is what I'm saying. :colbert:

Just cheat with the bracket sections and close/reopen the terminal when you're down to one try left. Hacking is easy as gently caress without any thought at all.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Raygereio posted:

Just like in many other fantasy settings, gunpowder doesn't exist in Elder Scrolls.

Which is fine, but there isn't any logical reason why it wouldn't beyond it not being Tamriel's bag, baby.

Also, on the topic of items, I always let my Stimpaks pile up as a way of gauging how much better I'm doing between playthroughs. NV's DLC tends to eat it up pretty quick, but in 3 I would usually have 200+ lying around in my inventory by level 20.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Filthy Casual posted:

Basically, I'm trying to say Bryke needs to write Elder Scrolls VI. Also Fallout.

I would buy the collectors edition of this game twice

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So androids/Synths are typically going to be really pale people that may have white crab blood?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

mrking posted:

I would buy the collectors edition of this game twice

I don't know, the end of the Korra season one was an utter disappointment for me. Like Spore level disillusionment. I haven't watched any of them after that, though I hear season 3 was better.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

7c Nickel posted:

I don't know, the end of the Korra season one was an utter disappointment for me. Like Spore level disillusionment. I haven't watched any of them after that, though I hear season 3 was better.

Season 1 is the worst season of Korra, watch the rest of it and you won't be disappointed.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

Then you've achieved CHIM.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

If they can merge Fallout 3 and New Vegas, why can't they merge New Vegas and Skyrim? Come on modders get on this!

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

7c Nickel posted:

Yea I'd rather have the story set in old Avatar world than the newer steampunkier world, but if it's an open world game like fallout/elder scrolls it hardly matters if the story is good. just let me bend poo poo and run around doing kungfu

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Raygereio posted:

http://uesp.net/wiki/Tribunal:Dwemer_Satchel_Pack#Dwemer_Satchel_Pack

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Just cheat with the bracket sections and close/reopen the terminal when you're down to one try left. Hacking is easy as gently caress without any thought at all.

It's not that it's hard to do, it's that it's time consuming and lovely. Other hacking games also wear out their welcome, but have some fun strategic element, such as Bioshock 1 and Deus Ex: HR.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

It's not that it's hard to do, it's that it's time consuming and lovely. Other hacking games also wear out their welcome, but have some fun strategic element, such as Bioshock 1 and Deus Ex: HR.

Clearly the answer is to implement a wide variety of hacking mini-games, like Bully for PS2 and the classes. Hacking terminals is the word game, but hacking turrets and robots is the Bioshock 1 circuit thing. For especially difficult locks you have to play a round of Qix.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I too hate the hacking for all the above reasons. Bioshock 2 had the best solution. Pretty much every gameplay element of BS2 was amazing.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Link to a Gamespot video talking about the Gamescon demo

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/fallout-4-bigger-battles-better-shooting-and-less-/2300-6426382/

One thing I found interesting is when they were talking about being attacked by a horde of ghouls, the player was blowing off arms and legs and it was affecting their movement. Blow off a ghouls legs, it will still be crawling after you.

I want to see an actual demo, not just read about it dammit!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rabidredneck posted:

One thing I found interesting is when they were talking about being attacked by a horde of ghouls, the player was blowing off arms and legs and it was affecting their movement. Blow off a ghouls legs, it will still be crawling after you.

This sounds really cool, but once again reinforces the idea that you should always aim for the head.

Then again, the only way they'll convince people to aim elsewhere is to incur a huge penalty to the players chance to hit heads, or giving heads more armor, neither of which sound like fun.

Make groin shots an option again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

frajaq posted:

The Elder Scrolls 6: The Dwemer Return

and they brought new toys with them :unsmigghh:

I don't want Bethesda ripping off Starcraft 2 if at all possible.

but the Dwemer coming back sometime would be pretty cool.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
if your response to "you can shoot off ghouls arms and they dont even die" is "well, guess i'll aim for the head," :frogout:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

NofrikinfuN posted:

This sounds really cool, but once again reinforces the idea that you should always aim for the head.

Then again, the only way they'll convince people to aim elsewhere is to incur a huge penalty to the players chance to hit heads, or giving heads more armor, neither of which sound like fun.

Make groin shots an option again.

With all the extra gore you see, the return of groin kills will be brutal.

Like, I'd love for that to just made some raiders or monsters stop and just lie there because nah, I'm done.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd like for that "I cannot best you!" disengaging from combat thing to be permanent, they turn non hostile and run away and if you catch up with them they say "hey wassup" like an average NPC. Weapons and armour could have an intimidation rating or something and enemies could have a confidence/desperation level, and if your intimidation is higher than their confidence/desperation then they don't even start combat, you'd have a bunch of raiders rushing you and one hanging back going "I'm not going near that guy he's got a laser musket"

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Here's a novel idea: how about we don't stick stupid minigames in for hacking? Just make it a skill check. Do you have 75 in science? You do? Cool, you can hack that terminal.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

JackBadass posted:

Here's a novel idea: how about we don't stick stupid minigames in for hacking? Just make it a skill check. Do you have 75 in science? You do? Cool, you can hack that terminal.

Skills are no longer in the game, JackBadass.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Skills are in the game

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

2house2fly posted:

I'd like for that "I cannot best you!" disengaging from combat thing to be permanent, they turn non hostile and run away and if you catch up with them they say "hey wassup" like an average NPC. Weapons and armour could have an intimidation rating or something and enemies could have a confidence/desperation level, and if your intimidation is higher than their confidence/desperation then they don't even start combat, you'd have a bunch of raiders rushing you and one hanging back going "I'm not going near that guy he's got a laser musket"

I remember back in Baldur's Gate 2, this one guy was yelling something like "HAH! NONE CAN BEAT ME!" and I'm like "dang dude, I just one shotted your 8 friends, you sure about this?" but he was an NPC so I had no choice to one shot him as well. :(

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

sector_corrector posted:

[SPEECH 10/50] Skills are no longer in the game, JackBadass.

[FAILED] Not the point of the comment, sector_corrector.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

2house2fly posted:

that's exactly the kind of poo poo that bothers me about any of the open-world bethesda games

code:
a lone bandit crouches in the bushes along a well worn trail. 

my character, the hero of kvatch, high magus of the arcane brotherhood, defiler of the 7 forbidden crypts, lord of bloodfang keep, adjudicator to gods and demons, and 
weilding fyrgandmyr, the frozen blade of the north that howls with the countless souls of the dead it has consumed, approaches

"YOU N"WA! SWIT! TOIME FER A BIT O' THA ROUGH AN' TUBMLE!" the bandit cries as he leaps towards his guaranteed death. he is followed by his four companions, identical 
except for their randomly determined hair color and alternating palette of clothing, none of them hesitating even for a second to consider that they are as ants 
attempting to injure a literal god
yes, this makes complete sense. it definitely helps build my immersion in this fantastic world of mystery and danger!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

sector_corrector posted:

Is that really a problem? Isn't the point of these games to start off weak, become powerful as poo poo, and enjoy the fact that you're a wasteland God by hour 60? I don't understand people who want an endless difficulty curve and constant balance for an open world loot-grab.

Hour 60 is fine. Hour 30 is not. Godlike seems to happen a little too soon in 3 and NV.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

year199X posted:

Psst, I was talking about this:
The one issue with AP's hacking minigame was that the mouse controlled one side, and the keyboard controlled the other, and they moved at different speeds.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

2house2fly posted:

If that could evolve into bandits and raiders wanting to work for the scary wasteland God it'd be even better. Random raiders spawn less and are replaced by slowly bigger and better armed personal army that take a chunk out of your town or caravan earnings, but offer better back up you call in or manage your caravans more smoothly without you having to rescue them all the time. Of course, you occasionally have to put down some dissenters or cap thieves for loving with your system, but that's the burden of being the big boss.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

All hacking minigames should be a ROM of Paradroid on the Commodore 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The alternative to bandits bumrushing you like idiots is them running away in fear which would be funny but infuriating if you actually wanted to fight them.

• Locked thread