Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I sprayed some dullcoat over a layer of army painter dip and ended up with a spot on the mini's head that might have gotten too much dullcoat and is actually shiny. What can I use to un-gloss dullcoat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Unzip and Attack posted:

So I sprayed some dullcoat over a layer of army painter dip and ended up with a spot on the mini's head that might have gotten too much dullcoat and is actually shiny. What can I use to un-gloss dullcoat?

Spray it again? :shrug:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Iron Crowned posted:

Spray it again? :shrug:

I tried that and the bright spot persists.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

bencreateddisco posted:

just getting back into painting again, was never any good to begin with

tear me apart, help me get better!

When you have a lot of one "type" of metal, like on the first model you need to mix up what sort of armor washes you're using. I'd recommend using slightly different washes for, say, the armor, sword and shield. This way even though they are all silver, they aren't actually the same color so it doesn't make the model look plain. I'd also recommend going back over the trim on the armor and highlighting it with a silver color so it contrasts with the flat non-detailed parts more. There are a lot of options for washing your armor, a few good ones are:

-Secret Weapon Armor Wash: A really good color but kinda ruddy. It's a very green/grey/dunkelgrau sort of look. Don't overdo it.
-GW Black Wash: Best commercially available black wash, good for really "clean" looking steels.
-GW Brown: Use this for older more worn metals like pirate sabers and such. Can be mixed 1:1 with GW Black to make a good armor wash as well.
-Black Magic Wash: Either make your own or buy from Warstore (DiDi's is good stuff, I like it more than my homemade batch because it's very color consistent and cheap). Also good for clean metals and good for making dividing areas of metals (you could use it for instance on the lower area of a trimmed piece of armor).
-Golden High Flow Shading Grey: Really good but dries shiny and dries incredibly fast, good for mixing with other washes and inks to make custom stuff.
-Vallejo Smoke: Very subtle wash but good for doing light shading on areas. Pairs well with drybrushing.
-GW Rust: Also an option to mix up metals, but expensive.
-MIG Washes: very good, dry kinda shiny, smell awful, do their job really well. Less is more with MIG washes.
-Army Painter Dark Tone: Good, dries shiny, very very thick, attracts dust and cat hair like a magnet, takes forever to dry.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I tried that and the bright spot persists.

Apply a gloss coat and then apply a matte coat.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on a good mobile painting setup? As in something you can just fairly quickly pack up and deploy in a park, or just some other location with some of your paints, brushes, and other basic necessities.

I've done this to paint on the road in hotel rooms. The first question is what, SPECIFICALLY, do you need in order to paint?

Second, what's your budget for such a device?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on a good mobile painting setup? As in something you can just fairly quickly pack up and deploy in a park, or just some other location with some of your paints, brushes, and other basic necessities.

I used something like this to paint at work.

http://tinyurl.com/o5ejmlo

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I picked one each of Vallejo's Gloss, Satin, and Matte varnishes with the intent of using them with my airbrush.

Any tips so I don't gently caress up the paint jobs?

Edit: My end goal with the varnish is simply protecting the paint.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 6, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Do a coat or two of the gloss followed by a coat of matte. When you're applying it, just pass the airbrush over it, don't hold it over any given area. Your goal is a light, even coat.

I don't really use satin unless I've got something that's supposed to be made of worked and finished wood (staves, wooden floor, etc). Then I'll brush it over the wooden surfaces. Works pretty well for that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The guy at the store I bought it at warned me that the matte is "too matte" and that it can change the color.

Is this true? Or do I just have to watch out for fogging?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Matte can sometimes darken things but it really shouldn't be too much of an effect if you're using light coats. The matte isn't there to protect, that's what the gloss is for, the matte is simply to de-gloss the gloss, if that makes sense.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

signalnoise posted:

I've done this to paint on the road in hotel rooms. The first question is what, SPECIFICALLY, do you need in order to paint?

Second, what's your budget for such a device?

Would like to keep it under $100, but depends on exactly how beneficial the thing would be.

Needs are at least one kind of water container, a sturdy platform of some kind to paint on/wipe brushes, etc, a pallet of some kind that isn't going to be a pain to haul around or too messy, at most 20 paint dropper bottles, safe storage for things like brushes, a few minis, etc., super glue and other minor repair tools, possibly some greenstuff in that same vein.

Blackheart posted:

I used something like this to paint at work.

http://tinyurl.com/o5ejmlo

I guess I am not so much looking for something to just carry stuff around in as thats kind of easy. More like something that would contain some platforms and things needed to paint and organize once its deployed. Think field easel but for mini painting.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Floppychop posted:

So I picked one each of Vallejo's Gloss, Satin, and Matte varnishes with the intent of using them with my airbrush.

Any tips so I don't gently caress up the paint jobs?

Edit: My end goal with the varnish is simply protecting the paint.

Use think coats. Drips of sealant suck.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Use think coats. Drips of sealant suck.

Think = (Thin + Thick) / 2

He meant thin!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Would like to keep it under $100, but depends on exactly how beneficial the thing would be.

Needs are at least one kind of water container, a sturdy platform of some kind to paint on/wipe brushes, etc, a pallet of some kind that isn't going to be a pain to haul around or too messy, at most 20 paint dropper bottles, safe storage for things like brushes, a few minis, etc., super glue and other minor repair tools, possibly some greenstuff in that same vein.

This is what I got for about 90:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
That's pretty nice, where is it from?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

b.... battlefoam...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Ahah, since I don't use battlefoam and there are a few case companies out there I was not aware.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Use thin coats. Drips of sealant suck.

Using thin coats, how long do I need to give for drying time between coats?

Acrylic paint dries in less than a minute for me, but I don't know how long the varnish will take.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

signalnoise posted:

b.... battlefoam...

:frogout:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Using thin coats, how long do I need to give for drying time between coats?

Acrylic paint dries in less than a minute for me, but I don't know how long the varnish will take.

It depends on your varnish, but leave it until you think it's dry, and then wait %50 longer.

The answer is I don't know, but I'd wait longer than necessary rather than gently caress up any of my paint jobs.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

the aristocrats

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There is nothing more terrifying than the scorn of fifty goons over your chosen brand of paint and model storage.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
We're not mad. We're just disappointed.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Mobile paint? Choose the small number of minis you want to paint, plan the colors you need. If you take your whole paint set you're doing it wrong.

Painting surface, palette to load paint on? Get a glossy magazine. Newspaper can work in a pinch but it absorbs moisture like a sponge and may bleed through onto the table.

Two or three brushes max, use the cup in the bathroom as your water pot for brush cleaning and stuff. Use the plastic coffee mug they leave in the room if you are an evil person.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
I want to put some hand lanterns on some of my bases, to try and make them feel like they are in a mine shaft.

Can anyone suggest a good place to find something that fits that description?

edit:

Star Man posted:

There is nothing more terrifying than the scorn of fifty goons over your chosen brand of paint and model storage.

I think it is more of a Romeo Filip thing. The only thing wrong with Battlefoam is the guy who owns it. Basically if you give him money, he will likely spend a portion of that money on lawyers to legally terrorize people and for paying out settlements to lawyers who successfully counter sue him for engaging in legal terrorism.

Cyclomatic fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 7, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I...I won a custom battle foam bag for my x wing minis at a regional tournament. I use it. I'm a monster. :ohdear:

(I don't know about any owner drama but I'm sure there's good stories and I'll look him up.)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's really hard to beat battlefoam specifically if you want custom cut foam. I could take or leave their standard sets but the custom cut option is really nice to have, though expensive.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cyclomatic posted:

I think it is more of a Romeo Filip thing. The only thing wrong with Battlefoam is the guy who owns it. Basically if you give him money, he will likely spend a portion of that money on lawyers to legally terrorize people and for paying out settlements to lawyers who successfully counter sue him for engaging in legal terrorism.

Plus their biggest competitor, KR, is well in the other direction on the scale as they have sponsored the Oath thread with grand and other prizes for many seasons.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

KR owns and their product is cheap enough that you can just customize the foam yourself in many cases.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I...I won a custom battle foam bag for my x wing minis at a regional tournament. I use it. I'm a monster. :ohdear:

(I don't know about any owner drama but I'm sure there's good stories and I'll look him up.)

Just sew a patch over the Battlefoam logo. Nobody is saying don't use a free bag, but you don't need to advertise for them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Indolent Bastard posted:

Just sew a patch over the Battlefoam logo. Nobody is saying don't use a free bag, but you don't need to advertise for them.

Good idea! Now to find a relevant squadron patch or two. :3:

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Getting ready to start painting my first modełs just waiting on some last supplies to come in next week but I'm kind of nervous all I'll do is make a horrible mess and I won't be able to assemble and paint these things. Is it common to be nervous about doing this stuff for the first time or am I just a big dumb baby? I don't want my stuff to be fodder for the horrible painting thread :v:

I'm just starting out myself so I'll try to give some beginner perspective. Some of this advice may be bad, but you can't blame me. I'm new.

1. Try to figure out how much time seems practical per model, and pick a painting method suits it. Painting a big 100-man army? Think assembly line. Painting a 10-man Infinity squad? Think slow, fine detail.
2. Start with models that you don't care about (not part of your army, for example). When they look like garbage, you won't care so much. Also, you will be free to experiment with different colors and techniques and you won't feel like you are wasting anything.
3. Take your time. Even if you are painting multiple soldiers at a time, go slow, and concentrate on what you are doing. It is not possible to hit the ground running, so don't try. In the beginning, you need to learn, and get a feel for what you are doing.
4. Take frequent breaks. If you paint a guy and he comes out looking like trash, put the brush down for a day and figure out what went wrong. Don't just start again, making the same mistakes. Figure out something new and go for it.
5. Don't worry about your models showing up in the other thread. I promise, everybody paints trash in the beginning. Just like little Timmy's finger paints hanging on the fridge, we all know it looks bad, and that's okay.

EDIT: Also, get one of these if you feel like you are going cross-eyed.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Well that and the other thread is for a lot of things. Bad painting only being one of them. Sometimes, I think it'd be a point of pride to get posted there.

In any case, IMO, paint a group of minis, and then move on from them. Don't get stuck simplegreening and starting over, or giving up on a technique before you finish a squad.

A lot of learning is just screwing up repeatedly. If you keep resetting without really getting in there and trying to make something work, you'll have a tougher time.

You can always come back to your early work after you've finished painting your army.

Which nobody ever does. So give up on that delusion now.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 7, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yep, the worst thing you can do when starting out painting is to keep endlessly stripping models and restarting them because you never get anything finished and then give up.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Nearly everyone's first models look kinda lovely. I've been trying to find mine so I can see how much I've improved over the past 16 years, but honestly, it's kind of immaterial. If you don't like how something looks, or even if you do, find a thing you think you did wrong and figure out how to fix it on the next model. Nobody in this hobby ever got good at it without a bunch of trial and error. A large portion of it is just experience: how thin a paint needs to be for what you want to do with it, how much paint you want on your brush, how many layers you need to put down, how to mix paints to get the color you want, even something as basic as brush control. All of it is just practice, practice, practice. Most of us do this for fun, so if you find something you especially like doing, feel free to focus on it. Hopefully nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to paint hundreds of clanrats or whatever if you're not into it.

And like I Am The Scum said, take breaks. If you don't feel like painting, forcing yourself to do it probably won't be very productive. Go do something else, the model isn't going to walk away. If you want to paint, but are feeling down about it, watch a painting video on YouTube (Painting Buddha has been killing it lately if you need a suggestion) and try something new from it. Even if it doesn't work well at first, you'll hopefully get some inspiration and learn something from it.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Chill la Chill posted:

When you go down that rabbit hole, yes, the Diablo Bats Romeo Filip is that Romeo Filip.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

I want to put some hand lanterns on some of my bases, to try and make them feel like they are in a mine shaft.

There are some Warhammer and Mordheim kits that have lanterns that would work, the Cities Of Death / Imperial Cities / Whatever sets have lots of science fiction future lamps, go for those. Play Amnesia: The Dark Descent or watch a playthrough of it for some inspiration related to scary poo poo about lanterns.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I'm getting back into the hobby after a loooong time, and I have about $100 in paints I purchased over a decade ago, a mix between Reaper (in pots) and GW (some flip top, some screw off lids). Obviously when I opened up my paints, they were in various states, from separated, to gummy, to fully dried out. Most of the separated/gummy paints I feel like I've been able to mix back to a good consistency with a little extra liquid and elbow grease. The fully dried ones I'm not confident in doing anything at all with. The GW paints were all in a much worse off state, but even half of those I've tried seem to have 'come back' with little issue.

Basically, how hosed am I, and should I bother taking the 5 minutes per pot to get the rest mixed back up? I'm not going to even attempt to use anything that I don't feel good about, but I don't want to fool myself into thinking the ones I think are OK actually are.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

shoplifter posted:

Basically, how hosed am I, and should I bother taking the 5 minutes per pot to get the rest mixed back up? I'm not going to even attempt to use anything that I don't feel good about, but I don't want to fool myself into thinking the ones I think are OK actually are.

What paint colors do you really need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
All of them. :colbert:

I have a lot of poo poo to paint. Two full KoW armies, Dreadball, and a bunch of Infinity models so I'm going to need a good variety of colors. The metallics are toast, I'm not even going to try reviving those.

In all honesty, I'm most likely just going to prime and paint a couple things I don't care about first anyway so even the stuff I'm confident in will either prove to be OK or not. Anything that isn't good I'll probably just re-buy in a dropper. This is really more about pleasing my wife by not having to buy paints if I can get away with it.