Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Oh sorry,mI forgot to mention in here, I fixed it last night. Should be on master branch.

Sure is, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(Can a brother get a beta push?)

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

3.4 is out, what the gently caress is with this shade of blue for the icon?

e: digging the new icons and thank you for adding a no filter option for the subforums.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Ok let's test this

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

It works! Posting an image now doesn't break the menu!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Abjad Soup posted:

In the PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker thread, attempting to preview the link URL of this post (by a long press on the included link):

...causes Awful to immediately crash to the home screen. The offending link url is:

"http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-faq/#If something is copyrighted in one year and published in another, when is it eligible?"

iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4, current App Store version of Awful.

e: looks like the crash happens in my above quote too, here's a test link/URL that also includes raw space characters for fun, quoted in the url tag: come crash me bro

e2: that test link/URL also crashes on a long press for me!

e3: Awful v3.3? And the crash is still present in v3.4, since that just dropped for me!

I edited that post to mention that the crash is also present in Awful v3.4; when I finished and posted the edit, I got taken to the next page (189) instead of staying on the page with the post I'd just edited (188).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Looks like still needs a proper replacement as a thread icon.

EDIT: Also aside from the still-extant "forum disclosure open status doesn't persist" bug, it looks like closing the disclosure behaves weirdly. Some subforums (usually the first) may stay in place until the visual transition is done when they disappear suddenly, others move up above the parent forum row until they disappear when the visual transition is done. I see this most often with short subforum lists (i.e. not "Games")

I'm also not sure from a UI stance about the closed disclosure icon being a "V" considering that that usually means "disclosure widget is open". Given that the subforums aren't displayed at a deeper level to indicate their belonging in a disclosure, this is particularly confusing. (Maybe consider adding a slight background shade to subforum rows?)

EDITx2: Oh, and one other bug that I've been meaning to mention: If, for whatever reason, you want to look at your own profile (say, someone buys you an avatar because they're really angry about gay marriage and for some reason they decide that the best way at getting back at you is giving you some weird rambling title), hitting the "Profile" option on one of your posts will not work like it does for other users, and your avatar and posting info will not load.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 5, 2015

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

glassyalabolas posted:

3.4 is out, what the gently caress is with this shade of blue for the icon?

e: digging the new icons and thank you for adding a no filter option for the subforums.

Love the new icon/icons!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just coming here to say that I giggle at the patch notes every time.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Subjunctive posted:

I can't reproduce the share-button-from-browser crash in the simulator, hmm. I'll try on device in a bit.

pokeyman posted:

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention in here, I fixed it last night. Should be on master branch. Issue was the "Open in Safari" activity looking in the wrong bundle for its image.

3.4 is currently In Review so I figure we can pop out a quick 3.5 with that fix and a couple others.

I have a share-button-not-from-browser crash! Click the ellipsis at bottom right of a post, hit "Share URL" button, and insta-crash to home screen for me. This happens on my posts as well as other people's posts, and in both portrait and landscape orientation.

Additionally: in landscape mode, click on a post's bottom-right ellipsis. I don't see any good way to dismiss the sheet that pops up. Rotating back to portrait partially worked the first time (thread still had a slight overlay from the info sheet in portrait, but tapping somewhere removed the overlay), but not the second time (could not dismiss the sheet in landscape, could not remove the overlay in portrait; couldn't interact with the thread regardless). Didn't try the other buttons from landscape.

(Also the landscape sheet is weirdly enormous.)

iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4, Awful 3.4
Both these issues are new to 3.4 I believe.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is that a new app icon? I definitely don't remember it looking like that!

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is that a new app icon? I definitely don't remember it looking like that!

It is and I think it looks really nice.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A very classy icon, IMO.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Things look different and i'm scared

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
I figure this question comes up a lot but I didn't see anything in the OP. Are there any plans to let me put people on ignore through the app? Or is there a way to do that I'm missing?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Time for a quote dump!

Abjad Soup posted:

In the PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker thread, attempting to preview the link URL of this post (by a long press on the included link):

...causes Awful to immediately crash to the home screen. The offending link url is:

"http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-faq/#If something is copyrighted in one year and published in another, when is it eligible?"

iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4, current App Store version of Awful.

e: looks like the crash happens in my above quote too, here's a test link/URL that also includes raw space characters for fun, quoted in the url tag: come crash me bro

e2: that test link/URL also crashes on a long press for me!

e3: Awful v3.3? And the crash is still present in v3.4, since that just dropped for me!

Will take a look at this!

Disappointing Pie posted:

So the super zoomed out issue in Awful with iOS 9 is a beta issue with Apple right? There's nothing I can do to fix it currently?

It showed up in iOS 9 beta 4. I'ma look around for a quick fix. As a possible workaround, some people have reported success bumping up the font size setting in Awful to 200% and then it's readable when the zoom out happens.

the yeti posted:

latest release Awful, ios 8.3

Not sure I've seen this noted before: On the keyboard if you go to the recent tab, tapping any smiley doesn't update the smiley graphics themselves, but does change the notice at the bottom of the screen when one is copied to the clipboard.

e.g., if my first four are

:yum: :awesomelon: :ohdear: :stonk:

the first time I tap :stonk:, I get the notice "Copied :stonk:" and nothing changes position. If I tap :stonk: again it says "Copied :ohdear:"

If I scroll down and back up then the order is changed to reflect the taps:

:ohdear: :stonk: :yum: :awesomelon:

I hope that's clear enough.

Crystal clear. I'll add it to the list, thanks!

Abjad Soup posted:

I edited that post to mention that the crash is also present in Awful v3.4; when I finished and posted the edit, I got taken to the next page (189) instead of staying on the page with the post I'd just edited (188).

Awful's done that for ages now, even though I know it's not the right thing to do. Back on the list it goes!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Looks like still needs a proper replacement as a thread icon.

Anyone who wants to take this on, go here and scroll to the bottom for info (and by all means ask for help as needed).

quote:

EDIT: Also aside from the still-extant "forum disclosure open status doesn't persist" bug, it looks like closing the disclosure behaves weirdly. Some subforums (usually the first) may stay in place until the visual transition is done when they disappear suddenly, others move up above the parent forum row until they disappear when the visual transition is done. I see this most often with short subforum lists (i.e. not "Games")

It's pretty ugly. I've been putting off re-re-re-redoing this for ages, but rest assured I know it sucks.

quote:

I'm also not sure from a UI stance about the closed disclosure icon being a "V" considering that that usually means "disclosure widget is open". Given that the subforums aren't displayed at a deeper level to indicate their belonging in a disclosure, this is particularly confusing. (Maybe consider adding a slight background shade to subforum rows?)

I'm open to ideas here. I think it was spanky the dolphin leading the charge for the "V" icon, maybe they want to defend that choice? I don't have a strong opinion on it.

quote:

EDITx2: Oh, and one other bug that I've been meaning to mention: If, for whatever reason, you want to look at your own profile (say, someone buys you an avatar because they're really angry about gay marriage and for some reason they decide that the best way at getting back at you is giving you some weird rambling title), hitting the "Profile" option on one of your posts will not work like it does for other users, and your avatar and posting info will not load.

I'll add that to the list!

drunken officeparty posted:

As long as someone's still reading them, I'll still write them!

Abjad Soup posted:

I have a share-button-not-from-browser crash! Click the ellipsis at bottom right of a post, hit "Share URL" button, and insta-crash to home screen for me. This happens on my posts as well as other people's posts, and in both portrait and landscape orientation.

This is fixed in Awful 3.5 which will be submitted real soon.

quote:

Additionally: in landscape mode, click on a post's bottom-right ellipsis. I don't see any good way to dismiss the sheet that pops up. Rotating back to portrait partially worked the first time (thread still had a slight overlay from the info sheet in portrait, but tapping somewhere removed the overlay), but not the second time (could not dismiss the sheet in landscape, could not remove the overlay in portrait; couldn't interact with the thread regardless). Didn't try the other buttons from landscape.

(Also the landscape sheet is weirdly enormous.)

iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4, Awful 3.4
Both these issues are new to 3.4 I believe.

The iPhone 6+ is becoming quite the thorn in my side. I'll take a look.

Okonner posted:

I figure this question comes up a lot but I didn't see anything in the OP. Are there any plans to let me put people on ignore through the app? Or is there a way to do that I'm missing?

You aren't missing anything. It's been on the list for ages, just haven't gotten around to it. (I've somehow managed to keep my ignore list empty so I don't personally feel the burn, which is currently the #1 way features get implemented around here.)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I still have the issue where the drop down arrow to show child forums indicates that it has been clicked but no child forums are shown. I have to click the arrow twice to get them to expand.

Forums also no longer automatically refresh when I enter them. I have to manually pull down to refresh each time I go into a forum.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Thank you for fixing the ios9 zoom thing!!!!!! looking good baby :cool:

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

goferchan posted:

Thank you for fixing the ios9 zoom thing!!!!!! looking good baby :cool:

Same!!! Not sure what you did but omg it's so much better. I contemplated downgrading to 8.4 just because of that bug.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Share button in awful browser saves/launches to external locations again, but copying the link also copies the page title.

e: 3.5 (30501) beta

Mastodon Henley fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 6, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It won't go awaaaaay

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

death .cab for qt posted:

It won't go awaaaaay

Just came here to report this one too.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I'm open to ideas here. I think it was spanky the dolphin leading the charge for the "V" icon, maybe they want to defend that choice? I don't have a strong opinion on it.

I don't mind another solution here either. Other than a plus symbol I can't really think of what else to use as a replacement though. Shifting the background color of the listed sub forums would help though. We should do that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could we indent them a bit too? I think that's the usual hierarchy indicator.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why don't forums update automatically when opened? I've had to manually drag to update since the last version.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just had opportunity to test shake-to-undo (curse my goddamn fat fingers), and it now works as advertised! Thanks for fixing that one, loved the patch note about it!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I like the new icons. Also, it's cool that someone is working on making the forums experience better for free.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Looks like beta 5 fixed the small white issue on its own. I'm not running the beta so I can't say whether your fix affects the layout.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

carry on then posted:

Looks like beta 5 fixed the small white issue on its own. I'm not running the beta so I can't say whether your fix affects the layout.

Should read "webview issue" but the app crashed when I tried to edit.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

I am and it's not.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Every time I tap the menu to open a YouTube video in Safari it just crashes the app

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Subjunctive posted:

Could we indent them a bit too? I think that's the usual hierarchy indicator.

But then what do you do with sub-sub-forums like project.log? Indent twice? That could be a lot of wasted space on a narrow (portrait) display.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But then what do you do with sub-sub-forums like project.log? Indent twice? That could be a lot of wasted space on a narrow (portrait) display.

Yeah, double the small indent. I'm not hugely worried about horizontal density of the forum list, I admit.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Posting with an image from photo album is crashing every time for me, could have sworn that had just recently been fixed.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

I still have the issue where the drop down arrow to show child forums indicates that it has been clicked but no child forums are shown. I have to click the arrow twice to get them to expand.

Forums also no longer automatically refresh when I enter them. I have to manually pull down to refresh each time I go into a forum.

Came to post that I've had the same issues as well on an iPhone 5s.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I'm having a weird issue where when I long tap to full-screen an image, then zoom in and back out, the Done button disappears and I have to force quit Awful to get back to the thread view.

Running the latest Awful version on a 6+, only slightly unusual thing is that I'm running iOS 8.1

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

webmeister posted:

I'm having a weird issue where when I long tap to full-screen an image, then zoom in and back out, the Done button disappears and I have to force quit Awful to get back to the thread view.

Running the latest Awful version on a 6+, only slightly unusual thing is that I'm running iOS 8.1

Get good

By which I mean, I've definitely seen that before too. Rotating to Landscape orientation may make the image viewer sheet disappear; otherwise, try swiping down to dismiss when the image is zoomed either all the way out or almost all the way out.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

When are search and archives going to be added plz? Sorry for being an rear end in a top hat about the good app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

same

Feature request: would it be possible to add "flick to close image view" functionality like how tweetbot behaves?

Bug?: due to an iOS bug every once in a while all the free space on my iPhone gets filled up with whoknowswhat. When this occurs trying to do anything in awful.app results in a cocoa error 13

• Locked thread