Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
This morning, I wanted to murder someone. This is actually the first time I've felt like this in almost a year of help desk (9 months).

User from a company we support emailed me to setup an account in AD/Exchange for a new hire. I do so. She emails be back saying it's misspelled. I spelled the same way it was in the email, but whatever. She tells me the "correct" way to spell the name. I fix it.

A week later, she emails me again. The name is still mispelled! This time I let her know nicely that I spelled it the way it was in the email, but I'll of course fix it. She tells me the "correct" way to spell the name. I fix it.

This morning, another email. The name is wrong again, why isn't this fixed already? At this point, I'm getting a little annoyed. I ask for the proper spelling, and she emails be back. I go onto the users PC to set up their outlook and....as I'm typing in the username to the email, the cursor jumps backwards to delete what I just typed. Ok. What the gently caress. I finally just call the woman I've been dealing with, and I ask her what exactly is going on with this AD/Email address. I tell her what happened when I was on the users PC, and she goes "Well I don't know, I guess i'll transfer her to you so she can tell you how to spell it". I finally got the right spelling of the name. Then I had to wade through 5 different exchange accounts to figure out which is the one she used for a week before letting us know her name was spelled wrong so I can share her mailbox with the one that has the correct spelling.

I learned that I should have just called her sooner. Seriously though, how many loving ways can you misspell the same name?? It's all in email too so it's not like I was fat-fingering the wrong stuff in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

It was bullshit, basically.

Preaching to the choir but.. your station is run by idiots.

Nerdy question: Are you a Sony or Avid shop? Digital or (gasp!) manual matrix?

Crowley fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 5, 2015

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Everything went off perfectly.

I refuse to believe this. Burden of proof is upon you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Toodles is a weird name for a kid.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

It was a variation called teslacrypt, which was installed through a flash exploit on a website. Fortunately only one machine was hit, but I'm losing the will to live here.

At least there's a decryption tool for TeslaCrypt:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2915812/decryption-tool-available-for-teslacrypt-ransomware-that-targets-games.html

e: The Cisco article: http://blogs.cisco.com/security/talos/teslacrypt

Migishu fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 5, 2015

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Crowley posted:

Run by idiots you say? :suicide:

E: fixed image, phone posting

Haquer fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 5, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've always wondered what a TV station would look like that couldn't even afford BlackMagic gear.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Thanks Ants posted:

I've always wondered what a TV station would look like that couldn't even afford BlackMagic gear.

We got in a new computer that has blackmagic gear!

Specifically a video/audio capture card and that's it :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I used to think that working in broadcasting would be fun. The technology seems interesting at least, but holy gently caress the people.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The only Blackmagic gear I've ever used was one of their client monitor video cards for FCP 7. We had 4 of them and had to RMA two of them (one of them twice) because they were crap. Hearing that they are rumoured to be buying Avid does not make me feel very warm and fuzzy inside.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

The Fool posted:

I used to think that working in broadcasting would be fun. The technology seems interesting at least, but holy gently caress the people.

I worked in radio as a part-time gig in college. That was honestly a ton of fun - the personalites were fantastic to deal with, the whole team was great, job was busy but relaxed, etc. Awesome experience.

I worked for a local TV station...it was much less so. TV guys have ~way~ more attitude.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
So a development for my job offer. I talked to my current boss about my financial situation and said I had an offer on the table for 12 grand more plus benefits. My boss said he would be crushed if I left and had plans to give me a new hire direct report in the coming months, with a significant pay raise to boot. It would be my first managerial role on my resume.

He's working to get the pay bump moved up to a competitive offer against the other company and will let me know by the end of the week.

I now have two companies who really want me to work for them, but I'm just shy of bidding war potential because my current employer is financially constrained until the company grows.

:feelsgood:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

The only Blackmagic gear I've ever used was one of their client monitor video cards for FCP 7. We had 4 of them and had to RMA two of them (one of them twice) because they were crap. Hearing that they are rumoured to be buying Avid does not make me feel very warm and fuzzy inside.

We've got some Blackmagic video capture cards, and they are utter poo poo. If we don't "prep" them by firing up the Blackmagic tool and monitoring the live feed to ensure the card is actually working then the first time we try to access them after a reboot we get nothing, which makes automated recordings a pain.

Also got an HDMI to USB3 video capture card which only works with specific USB3 controllers, none of which you're told about until you get it, plug it in, realize nothing works, and hit the support forums.

gently caress Blackmagic is what I'm saying.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Dillbag posted:

he only Blackmagic gear I've ever used was one of their client monitor video cards for FCP 7. We had 4 of them and had to RMA two of them (one of them twice) because they were crap. Hearing that they are rumoured to be buying Avid does not make me feel very warm and fuzzy inside.

They've done fine with Resolve, I can't imagine they'd gently caress Avid up worse than anything Avid's done to themselves, and with as poorly as Avid's financials have been the last few years it might be the difference between Avid or no Avid at all.

I've also had very few problems with their gear and we use a pretty good amount of it, fails at about the same rate as everyone else's stuff.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

So a development for my job offer. I talked to my current boss about my financial situation and said I had an offer on the table for 12 grand more plus benefits. My boss said he would be crushed if I left and had plans to give me a new hire direct report in the coming months, with a significant pay raise to boot. It would be my first managerial role on my resume.

He's working to get the pay bump moved up to a competitive offer against the other company and will let me know by the end of the week.

I now have two companies who really want me to work for them, but I'm just shy of bidding war potential because my current employer is financially constrained until the company grows.

Since you're otherwise happy with your current employer I wish you luck with getting a worthwhile counter-offer. Beware of weirdness though. They might secretly harbor ill-will that you were ready to leave.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I would also push for, in writing and verified by your attorney, a document that states you cannot be terminated for any reason other than a documented performance improvement process for at least 12 months.

If they keep you after this, they know you're looking and willing to bounce. They could easily have you in to just get the new guy set up, trained up, and ready to assume your old role, then boom, you're gone.

Paranoia, perhaps, but I wouldn't play that game. Even if my current place offered to double my salary upon me giving notice through an intervention of St. Isidore of Seville, the patron saint of systems administrators (probably a double miracle given that I'm a lapsed Jew) I would still look elsewhere if they wouldn't agree to a binding contract that makes it very painful or difficult for them to get rid of me.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
This is a 6 man operation that's growing in client base quickly, and turnover is nonexistent. There's less than .1% chance he'll stab me in the back if I accept his counter offer. I made sure he knew my job hunt was purely for financial reasons and had nothing to do with job satisfaction.

My words: if happiness could pay the bills I'd stay until I retired.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll be watchful for anything weird happening in the background when the new hires show up.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

London Live is apparently pretty much 100% BlackMagic and I believe their budgets are going donw so that's something to keep a watch out for.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Regional channels on actual TV was/is such a stupid idea in the age of the pretty-much-no-cost YouTube broadcaster.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the entire TV industry is stuck in 1980 and they really have no idea what to do except keep burning cash and hoping others die first

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanks Ants posted:

Regional channels on actual TV was/is such a stupid idea in the age of the pretty-much-no-cost YouTube broadcaster.

This really doesn't make any sense at all. The pretty much no cost YouTube broadcaster is also the even less revenue YouTube broadcaster.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Thanks Ants posted:

Local businesses aren't shelling out tens of thousands of dollars a day for advertising space on YouTube.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's not enough content in the case of London Live to justify an actual live channel - London news is already covered, the channel doesn't/can't cover the small local interest stories that blogs do, so they end up re-running a bunch of Channel 4 content in SD at the same time Channel 4 are promoting the availability of more or less all of it on their free on-demand platform. You don't lose money putting shows on YouTube as quickly as you do trying to run a live channel.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/local-tv-station-london-live-lost-%C2%A3116m-six-months-revenue-%C2%A313m

For what it's worth I'm talking about the UK initiative to grant licenses and transmitter space to regional channels, London Live being the only one so far. Not your US regional franchise type operation.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 5, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
But what I mean is, you gotta have like hundreds of thousands of views on videos every week to actually make any money off youtube. Unless you're just going to have some dudes make the cotnent in their free time with the webcams they already have, it's not going to pay for itself.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Fool posted:

The SLAs. Oh God, the SLAs. $$$ per channel per minute, within 10 minutes of report, unless it wasn't your fault. Multiply by 16 "channels". It is 3am and the phone woke you. The big clock started ticking when you blearily answered "... Hello?"

Now I work supporting in-house bespoke web sites. IT'S PISS EASY relatively speaking.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nintendo Kid posted:

But what I mean is, you gotta have like hundreds of thousands of views on videos every week to actually make any money off youtube. Unless you're just going to have some dudes make the cotnent in their free time with the webcams they already have, it's not going to pay for itself.

I get that, but this channel isn't anywhere near paying its way either. I don't know if it can grow into sustainability or whether it will fold first. It may work better in places like Manchester if that idea hasn't been shelved already.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
A phone call came in... my grandmother saw the "Update to Windows 10!" dialog box and clicked it, and is now utterly helpless.

I really should get her a chromedesk.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

election graphics bullshit

Might want to give CasparCG a spin for generating graphics and stuff, a lot of my TV/streamer friends seem to love it.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

hihifellow posted:

A phone call came in... my grandmother saw the "Update to Windows 10!" dialog box and clicked it, and is now utterly helpless.

I really should get her a chromedesk.

You have 30 days to roll back to previous version of Windows. However a Chromebook is a great option for non technical people, cuts down family tech support calls to almost 0.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is a 6 man operation that's growing in client base quickly, and turnover is nonexistent. There's less than .1% chance he'll stab me in the back if I accept his counter offer. I made sure he knew my job hunt was purely for financial reasons and had nothing to do with job satisfaction.

My words: if happiness could pay the bills I'd stay until I retired.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll be watchful for anything weird happening in the background when the new hires show up.

read this

Then read it again. And then be very very careful about accepting that counter offer. Your boss doesn't value you more now that you are threatening to leave. Your boss is panicking that you are leaving. Then after you stay, your boss will get pissed that you had him over a barrel and will resent you for "betraying" him.

By telling your boss that it was for financial reasons and nothing else, you have put yourself firmly in the mercenary column and taken yourself out of the trusted employee column.

Say thanks but no thanks and leave.

But at least read the article.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Agrikk posted:

read this

Then read it again. And then be very very careful about accepting that counter offer. Your boss doesn't value you more now that you are threatening to leave. Your boss is panicking that you are leaving. Then after you stay, your boss will get pissed that you had him over a barrel and will resent you for "betraying" him.

By telling your boss that it was for financial reasons and nothing else, you have put yourself firmly in the mercenary column and taken yourself out of the trusted employee column.

Say thanks but no thanks and leave.

But at least read the article.

While the article is good, I have one big issue with it.

Forbes posted:

You took the time to identify your reasons for leaving. You worked to fix all the issues that were within your control. There were issues that weren’t fixable and these were your deal-breakers. Because you couldn’t change the deal-breakers, you found a new job that was a better match to your career goals and aspirations.

I feel rather irresponsible now because I did none of these things. I got my CCNA, didn't immediately get a raise, threw my resume out there a few times to see what kind of interest there was for my qualifications, and ended up receiving a crazy offer I'm finding hard to refuse. There really wasn't much more thought into it than this and the new job definitely doesn't fit me better than my current. I was going to take the money from the new job for two or three years and jump for the first systems admin offer that came down the pipe.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Update on the School

Emergency networks are up and running. The extra electrician got called in because the one they already contracted stood his ground and refused to do out-of-scope work when he was already pressed for time getting the WiFi APs up and running. I inspected the site today, and the extra electrician pulled the Cat5 through a pipe and bolted it to the road. I guess that would work fine for foot traffic and bicycles, but earth-movers and diggers are going to drive up and down that road, and that pipe would last all of two minutes under those loads. When had finished groaning I gave up and troddled over to the building foreman. He took a single look at the pipe and called a few apprentices over to make a speed hump from planks that will protect the pipe and cable (like this). When they started on that little project I went and hooked up the cable to the switch.

As I was packing up the building manager dropped by and thanked me for hooking up the cash register too. There's no mention of a cash register in the IT documentation, and if there was we'd never have disconnected the fiber without making sure they had an alternative Internet connection. Now I'm debating if I should send Yet Another Mail to the technical department to remind them that we can only act on information we have. They'll probably ignore it. :eng99:

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

While the article is good, I have one big issue with it.

I feel rather irresponsible now because I did none of these things. I got my CCNA, didn't immediately get a raise, threw my resume out there a few times to see what kind of interest there was for my qualifications, and ended up receiving a crazy offer I'm finding hard to refuse. There really wasn't much more thought into it than this and the new job definitely doesn't fit me better than my current. I was going to take the money from the new job for two or three years and jump for the first systems admin offer that came down the pipe.

You did though. "I need to be paid more closely to what I'm worth" is a completely reasonable reason for leaving. The article is just wording it up to sound more business. You wouldn't have just "thrown your resume out there" if leaving wasn't an option you would accept. Take the new job, be very wary of the counter offer. Like everyone else said, once you do that you are just the safety net until they get your replacement in from that point on.

Also not every job move needs to be some ground breaking position that propels you up the ladder. More money for a wider experience for a couple of years is just as good as moving up. Hell sometimes it can be even better. This is of course all on you. Do what you feel comfortable with, but never forget the only one looking out for you is you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Send the email if only to cover your rear end.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Migishu posted:

I refuse to believe this. Burden of proof is upon you.

I didn't invent poo poo, but I'll take it.

Crowley posted:

I'm a giant embarrassment, but I have no idea. I think you asked me this before and I asked my supervisor. He asked me why I needed to know, and then told me it wasn't any of my business. I'm honestly not really sure what you're asking. We don't have anything from either Sony or Avid on premises?

luminalflux posted:

Might want to give CasparCG a spin for generating graphics and stuff, a lot of my TV/streamer friends seem to love it.

I wish we could go with something different, but we're too integrated with AP ENPS and an outdated plugin for our current system that ties into it. We're actually in the process of acquiring a new graphic playout system and it should be much better

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm a giant embarrassment, but I have no idea. I think you asked me this before and I asked my supervisor. He asked me why I needed to know, and then told me it wasn't any of my business. I'm honestly not really sure what you're asking. We don't have anything from either Sony or Avid on premises?

dafuq? It's called Showing a general interest in your place of work. Your boss is strange.

Every station I've been to have been heavily invested in either AVID or Sony.. SomeProductIforgotTheNameOf. The easiest way to find out is to shoulder surf a producer who's editing a rundown. If it's in iNEWS you're an AVID-shop, if it's.. EPNS.. maybe, or Sonaps. It's Sony.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I just assume they're running on some horrible mishmash of ancient software that hasn't been supported for 15 years and only his supervisor knows how to fix at this point, and it could die at any moment. Supervisor sees him asking questions as a threat, because larchesdanrew would see how hosed up it was and want to replace it, and there goes the "job security". Or the supervisor just doesn't know :v:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Crowley posted:

dafuq? It's called Showing a general interest in your place of work. Your boss is strange.

Every station I've been to have been heavily invested in either AVID or Sony.. SomeProductIforgotTheNameOf. The easiest way to find out is to shoulder surf a producer who's editing a rundown. If it's in iNEWS you're an AVID-shop, if it's.. EPNS.. maybe, or Sonaps. It's Sony.

Ah, we use ENPS for our stories, and we're heavily invested in ORAD for our graphics. ORAD is also responsible for our move to a virtual set (which launches next weekend :ohdear:). It's all horribly out of date. ENPS is running version 6, which was released in 2008, and it isn't supported on anything but XP, though there is a registry tweak that will get it working in Win7+, so there goes any reasonable excuse to update.

Luckily, we're being forced to move to ENPS 7 for virtual integration, which requires new computers. Our media playback is Blackstorm, which we've been running a beta version of (since it was free and has no subscription fees), but it's proving to be a pile of poo poo lately and we're moving to something that actually supports more video formats than MPEG2.

This is all assumptions on my part, none of this has been officially stated to me by my supervisor, it's just what I've noticed.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Crowley posted:

Edius/Grassvalley is pretty big in US news production too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Gunjin posted:

Edius/Grassvalley is pretty big in US news production too.

First time I've ever heard of that. :v:

If you haven't guessed already the place I was at is heavily into AVID - so much AVID headhunted one of our old IT people and paid him enough to move his family from Denmark to the US. I'm told the raise was.. substantial!

• Locked thread