Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It looks great in 3D but I wouldn't say it's pretty besides, same goes for Link Between Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Link between Worlds looks so good, and plays so well that they are releasing an entirely new game off of it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Srice posted:

The demo is kinda lovely, the game plays much better when you start customizing your party from the ground up so you know what everyone can do.
The best thing about the Bravely Default demo though is that it gives you a bunch of jobs so that you can play around with combining abilities. It's seriously the best when you throw Transience/Turn Tables on a Ninja and just spam Utsesemi. :allears: It's just that the gameplay of the demo itself is nothing like the game since the demo is mostly grindy fetch quests.

Abu Dave posted:

That's nice to read because I honestly have no loving clue what i'm doing and I kinda enjoy it! Like I asked earlier, i'm not seeing ANY offensive magic spells so I have like 2 mages doing nothing but hitting with a stick.
Basically, for random encounters you'll usually want to just have everyone Brave 3 times. It'll drop you into negative BP, but you should be able to take everything out with those 12 attacks. The game is designed around ending those fights in a single turn (preferably before the enemies can attack). For bosses (I think there are 3 or 4 in the demo), you'll usually want to be a bit more strategic. You don't want to drop into negative BP against a boss, so you can either just do a single attack each turn, or spend a few turns Defaulting so that you can build up BP, then use all those stored BPs in a single turn.

If you're getting killed by the boss in the dungeon near the town, here's a hint. You can use a White/Red Mage to land Silence on her, which will stop her Aeroga from murdering you. Before taking on that dungeon though, you should do some of the grindy fetch quests for people in town just to level up your abilities a bit. And yeah, don't forget to buy spells at the magic shop.

Also, as someone already mentioned, remember that Brave is mapped to L and Default is mapped to R. :)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wasn't there some benefit from playing the demo before playing the full game? Something about a town and residents carrying over or whatever. Does it? And how does it work?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Wasn't there some benefit from playing the demo before playing the full game? Something about a town and residents carrying over or whatever. Does it? And how does it work?

I think you just got some items.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tyty posted:

There been any recent word on the regular-sized new3DS coming out in North America? The hinge (bottom inner shell on the right side) on my 3DSXL has been broken for a bit, and it finally just gave up and stopped holding the top screen to the bottom half.

If I have to bite the bullet and buy a n3DSxl I will, since I'm out of warranty and replacing the broken shell seems like hell and a half because the thing has a billion ribbon cables, but I kinda wanted the inbetween-xl-and-regular size of the n3DS and the faceplates seem fun.

Incredibly unlikely. The xl is out selling the small version 3/4 times over in all territories. It's just not worth it for Nintendo to bring it to NA at this point.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Saoshyant posted:

You get several items that help in the beginning and up to 20 villagers will join the rebuilding efforts in the full game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

I think you just got some items.

Healbot posted:

You get several items that help in the beginning and up to 20 villagers will join the rebuilding efforts in the full game.

Thanks. Worth it, though? Without playing the game it's hard to know how useful those things really are.

vvvv Roger that, thanks.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 5, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Naw, I wouldn't play the demo if my only goal was to get those benefits. The village building stuff is all just a matter of time, and the rebuilding even goes on while your 3DS is in sleep mode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

less laughter posted:

Triple Deluxe is one of the prettiest 3DS games and gameplay-wise it's the best Kirby game ever made

Actually it's just good. KSS and RTDL are both better gameplay-wise and have loads more content.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

The graphics in Kirby Triple Deluxe are really ugly. Game feels very generic. Nintendo needs to go back to 2d sprite based games

I was gonna be mad at this but actually you're right, at least the second part. Just because you can have 3D models doesn't mean you should. I think the 3DS Pokemon games would have been way better if they stuck with sprites. I respect M&L Dream Team a lot for sticking to their guns and keeping the characters sprite-based while still giving them 3D depth.

It's not just some kind of retro graphic nostalgia, I really just think sprites work better and look better for games in 2D worlds.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Pokemon models look fine, it's literally everything else that looks like crap. Yokai Watch is a good example of how Pokemon might have looked in the hands of more competent developers.

There are lots of terrible 2.5D side-view games that should have used sprites (most of them western-made) but there are lots of boring practical reasons why none of the big studios seem to bother with it anymore.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man thanks for that help guys, I didn't know you were supposed to brave so much.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Pokemon models look fine, it's literally everything else that looks like crap. Yokai Watch is a good example of how Pokemon might have looked in the hands of more competent developers.

The pokemon models look great because people who have ripped them noticed that they are very overbuilt for the 3DS and contain enough detail to look great in HD. This is why the battle scenes tend to chug.

It's pretty obvious that they intend to use those models for a long time going forward, and I don't blame them. At this point, remaking that many models every generation would be a pain in the rear end.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Tyty posted:

There been any recent word on the regular-sized new3DS coming out in North America? The hinge (bottom inner shell on the right side) on my 3DSXL has been broken for a bit, and it finally just gave up and stopped holding the top screen to the bottom half.

If I have to bite the bullet and buy a n3DSxl I will, since I'm out of warranty and replacing the broken shell seems like hell and a half because the thing has a billion ribbon cables, but I kinda wanted the inbetween-xl-and-regular size of the n3DS and the faceplates seem fun.

The last word I saw was back in June.
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-america-boss-teases-release-of-smaller-new-3ds-1713073614

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Zonekeeper posted:

So I picked up Animal Crossing in the Best Buy sale and I am shocked at how quickly it hooked me. I intended to start the game tonight and leave it until tomorrow to play it seriously, but instead of quitting after getting my town started I just spent 3 hours talking to folks, digging up fossils, and catching bugs. :stare:

Also I know I'm late to the party with this, but Isabelle is the best.

There's an ACNL thread that's mildly active still. Handy for playing the stalk market and if you want certain villagers and someone has them moving out.

In my experience you'll probably be hooked for like 3~6 months, playing at least a half hour every day, and then just nothing unless one of your friends gets it and you play with them. I guess if you like the interior design aspects it can go on for a bit longer, it's a good game to unwind with after work or before bed

Silver Falcon posted:

YES! I did it! Now I can adventure with Isabelle!

(I've wanted to do that since before I even got the game. It's half the reason I got it to begin with!)

And this makes me want to give mohun4 another whirl, but I've tried to get into that series probably 5 times now and it just ain't happening.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You are not the next Taint Reaper please stop.

Is this supposed to mean something to me?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm looking to update from my old original 3DS. Looking at getting an XL a New 3DS™

Anybody willing to chime in and give me their personal opinions on the New? Is it worth the price bump over an XL?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Metrohunter posted:

I'm looking to update from my old original 3DS. Looking at getting an XL a New 3DS™

Anybody willing to chime in and give me their personal opinions on the New? Is it worth the price bump over an XL?

Yes.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I like it a heck of a lot but I also haven't owned a handheld since the OG DS. The 3D is super cool and pretty rarely breaks on me.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Metrohunter posted:

I would say it's worth it- with the New 3DS you get an analog nub and second set of triggers that functions as a built-in Circle Pad Pro, faster loading times on menu elements/eShop/Browser/a few games (Smash is the one I know of), faster downloads, and eye-tracking 3D.

Oh and a few games (MH4 is the only one I know of) use higher-resolution textures when played on the New 3DS. Also there will probably be like at least one or two more games that are New3DS-Only, but don't buy it specifically because of that. Buy it because of that first list of things up there.

Personally I saw no reason to upgrade from my Old3DSXL, but if I was buying another one I don't think it would be a question.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

dyk: retro designed the Mechs in metroid prime: ff

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Metrohunter posted:

If you're still rocking the OG 3DS there's no reason not to go whole hog and get the New 3DSXL. It will blow your mind. The more stable 3D is worth it by itself, in my opinion. I don't get any eyestrain at all on the new.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zonekeeper posted:

The pokemon models look great because people who have ripped them noticed that they are very overbuilt for the 3DS and contain enough detail to look great in HD. This is why the battle scenes tend to chug.

It's pretty obvious that they intend to use those models for a long time going forward, and I don't blame them. At this point, remaking that many models every generation would be a pain in the rear end.

I get the reasoning behind making super detailed models, but why not turn the detail down to 3ds-appropriate levels?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I get the reasoning behind making super detailed models, but why not turn the detail down to 3ds-appropriate levels?
Because Game Freak is bad at making video games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was code of princess a good game, and if not, why not

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

FirstAidKite posted:

It had some great moments, and some of the dialogue was pretty funny but I found as the stages went on, it started to lag kind of badly. It became difficult to fight due to lag. :/

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

So when I turn my 3ds xl on, the backlight turns on but the screen stays black. The only thing I can do is press the power button which brings up the shutdown screen. If I press the home button from there it brings up the home menu banner but just freezes there. Im guessing theres no way I can fix this?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that sounds like call nintendo time

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Abu Dave posted:

Oh man thanks for that help guys, I didn't know you were supposed to brave so much.

The Brave/Default system didn't get the best explanation especially in the demo. Generally, if you can finish a pack of mobs off in one round if you do 3 Braves, you should do so. If not, the easiest way to proceed is to Default until you have 3 BP, then Brave 3 times, rinse and repeat. Until you unlock Performer, anyway.

Some hot tips:

1. You can press left+right on the D-Pad to speed up/slow down battle animations (I'd pay :tenbux: for this feature in the next Pokemon game)
2. Changing difficulty and encounter rate can be done on the fly in the Tactics settings and has zero effect on xp gain. If you're really banging up against a wall, consider turning difficulty to easy and encounter rate up and just autoing your way through some levels. You can also use this feature to grind out job points for new jobs you get (you can even turn off XP and gold gain from battles for this if you don't want to trivialize the game)
3. Not getting hit and finishing a battle in one round (which is what Braving is for) gets you more Job Points and XP. The more battles you can do this in succession the more bonus you get.

There's a whole thread for BD you could peruse.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585064

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those tips helped alot. Thanks. I can actually kill a pack of mobs now...if they don't sleep or silence me :qq:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

less laughter posted:

Triple Deluxe is one of the prettiest 3DS games and gameplay-wise it's the best Kirby game ever made

I dunno, I didn't find it that enjoyable but I have liked a lot of Kirby games in the past

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Little disappointed the 3ds isn't getting the same eshop price for xenoblades the WiiU has. Would have jumped on it for £17.99

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
lol welp was going to buy a new 3ds and then saw that America only gets the XL versions and I really don't want to get an XL so thanks Reggie

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mega Comrade posted:

Little disappointed the 3ds isn't getting the same eshop price for xenoblades the WiiU has. Would have jumped on it for £17.99

huh?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

The game's been £19 in various UK retailers (like TGC and Base) shortly after release. Shouldn't be hard to find it cheap somewhere since no one is buying it and retailers have/had too much stock.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

I think he means he wants the new Xenoblade Chronicles for the same price as the Wii Xenoblade released on the Wii U.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

FirstAidKite posted:

It's not the worst thing you could buy at $14.99. The dialog and characters are pretty fun, and they really do go out of their way to not be super creepy, even with what the main character is wearing. Once you beat the game, you can play almost every character in the game in Vs and the stage selection trail thing, and that includes minor enemies, villager NPCs, and even bosses (including the final boss). The game play and game lay out is just kind of bad though, all of the stages are just small hallways, and the fighting is a special move mess, where you just spam the same special move to kill enemies before they stun lock you to death.

Honestly, if you want a better game in the same Genre, Streets of Rage 2 or Senran Kagura are much better.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Xenoblades Chronicles just got released on the WiiU eshop and it's significantly cheaper than it is on the 3ds eshop.

Saoshyant posted:

The game's been £19 in various UK retailers (like TGC and Base) shortly after release. Shouldn't be hard to find it cheap somewhere since no one is buying it and retailers have/had too much stock.

Yeah I know but I'd have preferred it digitally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Anora posted:

It's not the worst thing you could buy at $14.99. The dialog and characters are pretty fun, and they really do go out of their way to not be super creepy, even with what the main character is wearing. Once you beat the game, you can play almost every character in the game in Vs and the stage selection trail thing, and that includes minor enemies, villager NPCs, and even bosses (including the final boss). The game play and game lay out is just kind of bad though, all of the stages are just small hallways, and the fighting is a special move mess, where you just spam the same special move to kill enemies before they stun lock you to death.

Honestly, if you want a better game in the same Genre, Streets of Rage 2 or Senran Kagura are much better.

not mentioned here:

The framerate is super goddamn bad nonstop and that's patched. I'm not sure what the prepatched version was like, but I assume it actually ran the game backwards.