Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

The Gorp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfk3tOJjaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PACuKeClDCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_muxmqphN8

It's not all applicable, but this series is a good series with a lot of things that carry over.
Telling us your favorite character can let us help you with specifics.

Specifically this is biased off Street Fighter, so being above the opponent is generally a disadvantage due to your inability to change your movement mid-jump (outside of Vladimir) as well as the inability to block. Don't worry too much about the specifics like move names and more about the larger picture.

Fruitsnacks posted:

Some fighting game terminology: http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfterms.html.

Really old but informative Street Fighter tutorial: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

If you want to know anything else, ask questions and be specific. Like instead of "I didn't win a single game last night, how do I get better?" you should tell us the character you play, the characters you played against, things your opponents were doing that gave you trouble, and so on.

Sweet, I'll give these a go-over. I just downloaded the game today and played a few matches, and I'm really liking Edge, probably because he's my countrymen (tho I still have no idea what he's saying half the time) but I managed to pull off the Gamma->Super thing someone posted a couple pages back and got a couple of Down+Heavy->Alphas which managed to net me my first winning round, against a Legend Tier 1 no less.

Lost every round thereafter, however. I also have zero contribution to this current discussion because I don't even know what a link is.

Any other cool combos for Edge I should know about? Also I seem to have lost the most badly to Talos and Edge, and least badly to Dauntless and Chel, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

a link is where you do an attack during the hitstun of a previous attack, causing the attack you just did to combo.

i will now explain how you link

you hit with an attack and then you press another button when that first attack "ends"

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Mintergalactic posted:

I'm telling you man, autocombo

Noobs wouldn't complain about not being able to do damage and experienced players could learn better routes

Marvel 1 did this as well, everyone was a winner.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Unless you hunt and peck you probably type faster than one keystroke every 100 ms

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

*attempts to double click icon on his desktop, fails*

BULLSHIT FINGER PUZZLES

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shukaro posted:

Or I could just not care about this kinda lovely alpha fighting game instead. Y'know since I was just wondering why "accessible fighter" needed you to mash out/time normal combos instead of having an "accessible" normal combo setup like you would expect.

1/12th of a second is in fact small. It really is fighting game nerds.

Man, I know I'm terribad at fighting games, but you must be super loving terrible.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Geektox posted:

Sweet, I'll give these a go-over. I just downloaded the game today and played a few matches, and I'm really liking Edge, probably because he's my countrymen (tho I still have no idea what he's saying half the time) but I managed to pull off the Gamma->Super thing someone posted a couple pages back and got a couple of Down+Heavy->Alphas which managed to net me my first winning round, against a Legend Tier 1 no less.

Lost every round thereafter, however. I also have zero contribution to this current discussion because I don't even know what a link is.

Any other cool combos for Edge I should know about? Also I seem to have lost the most badly to Talos and Edge, and least badly to Dauntless and Chel, if that helps.

Fully charged Special 2 goes into super when you mash out all the hits.
Special 3 into the overhead gets you a special 1 into super.
Jumping crossups (Jump over opponent, down H im midair) into HH Special one is both easy and effective.
Learn your normals and what you can get off them. Light jabs go intp special 1 and super like anything else.

Despite point blank being edges preferred range most of the time, Talos prefers it more. Keep you distance and learn how to poke him out.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Goddamned menu glitch, whenever I load the game I just get blank backround with menus flickering like crazy and everything unreadable unless I go to a different window.

Any idea if a fix has been released?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The delay is wrong if that's supposed to show 12ths of a second

changed it to 83ms (rounded down from 83.3333333_)

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Nah, each tick on that is a second. I should maybe have explained that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't beat anyone beyond bronze tier 1, and also I'm so bad at combos that I main Chun-Li because all you have to do is Ex-Lightning Legs

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Let's get this out of the way first: links exist in fighting games as a consequence of moves being designed in parts - startup, active, and recovery frames, plus the number of frames of hitstun they cause. The only ways to remove links from the equation are to make all moves too slow to combo after your fastest recovery move, make all moves recover too slow for your fastest startup move to combo, make hitstun low to nonexistant (this is a common complaint with SSB brawl), or specifically code the game to not allow normals to link when your character returns to a neutral state (NRS does this in MK and Injustice).

The question you really should be asking is why they made links important to optimal combos and/or BnBs in this game. The answer probably is just that they made most/all of the links wide enough (or added a buffer to help hit smaller frame windows of links) that they felt it was justified. It does not take much practice at all to muscle memory a three frame link in a game like SF4, and Rising Thunder apparently has a buffer to provide you an even wider margin of error, so if that is still not enough for you, maybe the genre is just not for you.

If chains are all you have the stomach for in fighters, there are options. You can get by on chains alone in games like MK, Injustice, and even some anime fighters like UNIEL and Skullgirls, but in all cases you will also still have timing windows to hit after the chains (for connecting juggles, for instance).

Read back through the thread at someone's suggestion and this guy did actually answer my question, even though I think it's a really dumb design decision for a game advertized like this one is.

Thanks guy!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's not a design choice to have links

the design choice in this case was to make the links really really really easy

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

NecroMonster posted:

It's not a design choice to have links

the design choice in this case was to make the links really really really easy

actually the design choice was to omit simple normal chaining or some other similar mechanic

e: or maybe they just didn't know they could put something like that in or something I dunno

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's not really a design choice to not put something in a game man dude person dog buddy

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Design choice: Combos are really easy.

The combos are really easy.

Mission accomplished.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

NecroMonster posted:

it's not really a design choice to not put something in a game man dude person dog buddy

ya it is, unless they're really stupid or have only ever played street fighter I guess

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
ur really loving stupid

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Honestly, Shukaro, if you spent the time it took you to make your 16 posts in this thread in training practicing your character(s) important link(s), you'd probably have several of them down at a solid success rate already.

Please consider reading this post by SN64 again.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I for one am glad the developers made the design choice to not put resource mining, character advancement, and capture the flag into this fighting game

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Spermgod posted:

ur really loving stupid

nah

AndyElusive posted:

Please consider reading this post by SN64 again.

also nah

NecroMonster posted:

I for one am glad the developers made the design choice to not put resource mining, character advancement, and capture the flag into this fighting game

me too, that would have been even more weird than what they did

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shukaro posted:

actually the design choice was to omit simple normal chaining or some other similar mechanic

Every. character. has. a. chainable. hitconfim.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so is it time to pretend that you where trolling the whole time by acting like an idiot and saying dumb things and understanding nothing or are you going to keep on just being sincerely stupid

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Wow the guy with a dota av has bad opinions I'm shocked

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

This goes for my guy and also people replying to my guy

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ryu has spoken ryu has been heard

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

The answer lies in the heart of battle

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The only way a true fighter can suffer, is by not fighting!
I see a strong will to fight in your eyes! Don't give up yet!"

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

All arguments can be settled via money match

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
New patch, still can't run this game. I'm going to ignore it for a while and hopefully when I remember it exists, it'll work.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A.o.D. posted:

New patch, still can't run this game. I'm going to ignore it for a while and hopefully when I remember it exists, it'll work.

This game will replace Marvel at EVO.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I don't care if they replace Marvel with Rise of the Robots, just get rid of that crap.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I'd rather have marvel than 3 versions of smash

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Shukaro I don't want to dogpile on you with everyone else, but I really do recommend just practicing the links in training mode; a good way to do this is with practice 'laps' where you practice the combo while slowly pushing the opponent across the stage - back and forth. Spending time getting into a flame war in this thread instead of practicing just isn't constructive. :(

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Chucat posted:

Marvel 1 did this as well, everyone was a winner.
but people that complain about poo poo like not being able to do a combo will just complain about something else once combos are handed to them. these are bads, and they are called bads for a reason. they will always find something to excuse their poor performance. catering to trash tier bads brings poo poo players to the table that wont stick around or ever be worth poo poo.

it doesn't really matter what they do, anyway, because RT is just a lovely alpha/tech demo of ggpo3 they threw together so they can attract an angel investor, cash out and be done with it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Zand posted:

but people that complain about poo poo like not being able to do a combo will just complain about something else once combos are handed to them. these are bads, and they are called bads for a reason. they will always find something to excuse their poor performance. catering to trash tier bads brings poo poo players to the table that wont stick around or ever be worth poo poo.

it doesn't really matter what they do, anyway, because RT is just a lovely alpha/tech demo of ggpo3 they threw together so they can attract an angel investor, cash out and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bhsman posted:

Shukaro I don't want to dogpile on you with everyone else, but I really do recommend just practicing the links in training mode; a good way to do this is with practice 'laps' where you practice the combo while slowly pushing the opponent across the stage - back and forth. Spending time getting into a flame war in this thread instead of practicing just isn't constructive. :(

But he doesn't even need the fuckin' links, ugggh

• Locked thread