Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I splurge on eggs and get em at a cage free farm stand place. Local honey too. Even with the higher price, eggs are still a great source of cheap protein and I eat them almost every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Ron Jeremy posted:

I splurge on eggs and get em at a cage free farm stand place. Local honey too. Even with the higher price, eggs are still a great source of cheap protein and I eat them almost every day.

How much are they? I buy flats of 5 dozen from ours for like 20$. As long as you just get regular pastured cage free eggs and not XXL EXTREME JUMBO EGGS they're drat reasonable.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My co-worker went month to month with is rental, and they just raised it by $1,500/mo. Apparently living over a surf shop means you're not zoned for residential!

Then at my office building that the company I work for owns, the nice top floor corner office (THE office in the building) had some tenants that have been there for 5 years that we wanted to kick out so we could take over the place. My bosses decided to raise their rent by 3x. Turns out the tenants are super happy to pay for the privileged of this corner office, and agreed to a 3 year lease with no questions.

Getting to see both sides of the lovely coin there, from the screwed tenants to the land lords going "Wow we should have raised the rent long ago think of all of the hypothetical money we lost since people are happy to get rear end hosed by rent if they can afford it!"

jeeves fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 5, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

California is giving back voting rights to 45,000 released felons under supervision.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The first shot in The Second Battle of Diablo Canyon is due to be fired today with the first meetings regarding its license renewal (applied for in 2009) due to be held this evening.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Good

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can't think of a compelling reason why voting rights are taken away from felons in the first place. I've read that it would create situations where jails situated in rural areas would suddenly add like 2500 prisoners to a community with like 5000 non-jail residents and other silly things like that, but that's a technicality. You could easily legislate that imprisoned voters vote in the districts they were residents in before they were convicted, for example.

We vote, directly or indirectly, for the laws that put those people in jail. It should not be possible for the majority to protect its majority by jailing people who disagree on a given policy question. Just as a hypothetical example: jail all the gays on sodomy laws, and now you've reduced the possibility that a politician supporting gay rights can get elected. That sort of thing.

I think if you polled convicts you would not find that a majority are in favor of legalizing rape or murder or poo poo like that, either. They might have different opinions on things like mandatory sentencing laws, how plea bargaining works, and how much (excessive) force the police are allowed to use, though, and as the people who have been most directly affected by those sorts of policies, I think their voices ought to matter.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Leperflesh posted:

It should not be possible for the majority to protect its majority by jailing people who disagree on a given policy question.

When have we jailed a bloc of people based on their ideology? Has this happened in recent memory? If you use marijuana as an example I will preemptively counter with being in favor of legalization does not get you in jail, smoking it does.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

I can't think of a compelling reason why voting rights are taken away from felons in the first place. I've read that it would create situations where jails situated in rural areas would suddenly add like 2500 prisoners to a community with like 5000 non-jail residents and other silly things like that, but that's a technicality. You could easily legislate that imprisoned voters vote in the districts they were residents in before they were convicted, for example.

One good reason is that it's a potentially abusive situation if proper inspections aren't followed.

It's quite likely that you already see a similar thing happen in nursing homes. Patients are mostly out of it so it's dead easy to get them to vote how you want.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

computer parts posted:

One good reason is that it's a potentially abusive situation if proper inspections aren't followed.

It's quite likely that you already see a similar thing happen in nursing homes. Patients are mostly out of it so it's dead easy to get them to vote how you want.

And yet, somehow, there has not been a spate of scandals involving nursing home votes being sold to the highest bidder.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tirinal posted:

And yet, somehow, there has not been a spate of scandals involving nursing home votes being sold to the highest bidder.

That we know of.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

How much are they? I buy flats of 5 dozen from ours for like 20$. As long as you just get regular pastured cage free eggs and not XXL EXTREME JUMBO EGGS they're drat reasonable.

In that same ball park. I buy 2 1/2 dozen at a time. It used to be 8 bucks and now it's 12.

Everybody's up in arms, but I think it's money well spent.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Thunder Moose posted:

When have we jailed a bloc of people based on their ideology? Has this happened in recent memory? If you use marijuana as an example I will preemptively counter with being in favor of legalization does not get you in jail, smoking it does.

Not ideology, but we did inter a large number of Japanese Americans during World War 2. They were U.S. citizens at the time, and they were effectively denied their right to vote in that they were not provided with absentee ballots and were not allowed to return home to vote.

I would also not be surprised if there were some issues during the red scare under McCarthy as well with certain people being effectively denied the right to vote based on their politics.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm pretty sure stripping the right to vote from 13% of black men leads to a pretty significant redshift in American politics--whether or not that is intentional is up to you to decide.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VikingofRock posted:

I'm pretty sure stripping the right to vote from 13% of black men leads to a pretty significant redshift in American politics--whether or not that is intentional is up to you to decide.

Probably not unless they lived in significant swing states, or if they would vote in state elections.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

computer parts posted:

Probably not unless they lived in significant swing states, or if they would vote in state elections.

Like, say, Florida?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
On that note, Gore would have certainly won Florida if it weren't for Florida's strict felon disenfranchisement laws. Almost one in four African-American Floridians cannot vote. (Not to mention the many thousands of people who were incorrectly purged from the voter rolls as felons due to shoddy databases that included people with misdemeanors or names that happened to be similar to those of actual felons.)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

computer parts posted:

That we know of.

If nobody knows about it, it's not a scandal.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Choadmaster posted:

On that note, Gore would have certainly won Florida if it weren't for Florida's strict felon disenfranchisement laws. Almost one in four African-American Floridians cannot vote. (Not to mention the many thousands of people who were incorrectly purged from the voter rolls as felons due to shoddy databases that included people with misdemeanors or names that happened to be similar to those of actual felons.)

This sort of disfranchisement has been been part of the right wings strategy in Florida since reconstruction ended. :negative:

No, I am not exaggerating.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Choadmaster posted:

(Not to mention the many thousands of people who were incorrectly purged from the voter rolls as felons due to shoddy databases that included people with misdemeanors or names that happened to be similar to those of actual felons.)
One of my consolations to the Dubya years was the fact that Kathleen Harris was flushed by the Florida GOP like a dirty used tissue a few years after she delivered Florida.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
So how long before Haggen's totally folds? They've laid off 700 employees as of July and every store I've seen is a ghost town. I know that Vons/Albertsons had to divest market share due to anti-trust laws but drat, you'd think they could have done some homework on the market they were getting into! This reminds me of when Mervyn's got bought out from Target, corporate fiddled around with everything imaginable and closed within a year. If someone high up isn't shorting the crap out of Haggen's stock I'd be amazed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
What the hell is Haggens?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

nm posted:

What the hell is Haggens?

Grocery chain based out of Washington. They bought up 100+ stores that Vons and Albertsons were forced to ditch in Southern California to comply with federal anti-trust after they merged. They had a "glitch" with their pricing early on and everything was a LOT more expensive...and it really hasn't changed in the last 4 months. I work near one and everyone there has been cut to bare bones part-time or has quit outright and the parking lot is deserted. Employment's bad enough but a lot of these people are going to lose their livelihoods because of this :(

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My local Haggen had a six-pack of Firestone Union Jack for something ridiculous like $14. The 7-Eleven down the street tops out at $10. A freaking 7-Eleven! Every time I have to go to Haggen (it's in walking distance, so I go there for things like milk or bread), I fill out the customer satisfaction thing and take a poo poo on their prices. The weekly groceries trip now involves driving across town to Vons. Maybe they did it on purpose!

Also, they have the new credit card readers with the chips, but nobody knows how they work and nothing happens when I insert my card. But the slot is still lit up, suggesting that you can.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It's looks like they're trying to court the Whole Foods market but they are having a sit time communicating that. People are going into their old Albertsons expecting Albertsons pricing and getting discouraged when everything is now expensive, no matter what the quality.

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/haggen-659029-stores-store.html

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Minarchist posted:

Grocery chain based out of Washington. They bought up 100+ stores that Vons and Albertsons were forced to ditch in Southern California to comply with federal anti-trust

CPColin posted:

weekly groceries trip now involves driving across town to Vons.

The Invisible Hand. :smug:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Every Haggens around here (Santa Barbara) is bleeding profusely. They seem to think they were courting the Whole Foods demographic, but (1) a town can only support so many high-end grocery stores and around here we've already maxed out with one a Whole Foods, a Gelsons, and Lazy Acres (who the gently caress thought adding 5 more expensive stores here would work when the area barely supported 3?), and (2) they're not even high end anyway - it's the exact same grocery store poo poo every other basic chain carries, plus a tiny bit more organic produce, at higher prices. No bulk foods, nice butcher shop & seafood & charcuterie like Whole Foods or Lazy Acres has. There's literally no reason to pay their markup rather than going to the other supermarket down the street.

The fact that they fired every single disabled worker (14 of them) in this town that Vons and Albertsons had previously employed didn't do them any PR favors either. They've already been sued and while I think they'll win (since they're bleeding money they cut all nonessential positions, including the bagger/service position that all the disabled workers just happened to be in, so it wasn't targeted) it was a loving boneheaded maneuver.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

FRINGE posted:

The Invisible Hand. :smug:

It could have been more disastrous to allow the merger with no selloff. All ~15 supermarkets in my area (with the aforementioned high-end exceptions) would have been owned by the same company. There'd be nothing stopping them from implementing Haggens-level pricing and consumers would have zero alternative.

IMO where the regulators failed was in approving the sale of 146 stores to a tiny chain that was already failing at managing barely more than 1/10 that many.

In related news, Santa Barbara's two healthcare providers, Cottage Health Systems and Sansum Clinic, are attempting to do the same thing: merge and spin off a few little private surgical centers to appease the FTC. Everyone in town, including everyone I know who works for either of the two companies, seems to know it's going to be a disaster when it happens. It'll almost certainly happen anyway.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too

Choadmaster posted:

In related news, Santa Barbara's two healthcare providers, Cottage Health Systems and Sansum Clinic, are attempting to do the same thing: merge and spin off a few little private surgical centers to appease the FTC. Everyone in town, including everyone I know who works for either of the two companies, seems to know it's going to be a disaster when it happens. It'll almost certainly happen anyway.

This is happening everywhere because you get higher reimbursement for procedures done in a facility owned ASC than the hospital's OR, even if there's no actual hospital stay involved. This won't change until we get away from fee-for-service which no procedural physician wants.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Hey some non-profits did a cool thing and bought some housing in the Mission that people were going to get evicted from

http://blog.sfgate.com/inthemission/2015/08/06/sf-buys-six-buildings-keeping-artists-and-others-in-place/

quote:

Two longtime residents and artists as well as tenants in 18 other units will be able to stay in rent-controlled apartments thanks to two non-profits buying six buildings from a landlord who decided to back away from evicting tenants and instead sell the buildings to the city.

The purchase, part of the city’s small sites program, will mean that the units remain affordable housing. The San Francisco Community Land Trust and the Mission Economic Development Agency will purchase the buildings.

The deal, “really has the potential to be a win-win situation,” said Richard Hurlburt of the SF Community Trust. “They get out from under the bad press of evicting tenants and tenants get to stay.”

Lets read the comments

quote:

Win win? Taxpayers just got foot the bill here, how much did we pay for these trashy buildings? Watch out for those slip and fall lawsuit next, oh the agony reading at the bar....
:stare:

quote:

Rent control like the dinosaur must die, the City is expensive, my wife and I who rented for ten years finally had to pull the plug and move out, it's just not worth the struggle.
:stare::stare:

quote:

NON PROFITS are the worst organizations out there. They take tax payer monies and spend it at will. I never give anything to any organizations. The middle class is screwed again paying for these rent controlled apartments.
:stare::stare:

quote:

If renters want to have a say about their home they can buy their own, just like the rest of us. You do have to save and watch your pennies instead of just acting entitled. Give it a try.
:stare::stare::stare:

quote:

Instead of becoming a world class city, SF continues down the road the road to perpetual ghettoization.
:stare::stare::stare::stare:

quote:

I think everybody understands the pain and issues around evictions… but, hey welcome to life! Renters are renting, not owning. It’s not the same. There is no right to live in SF, plenty of affordable housing is available in other parts of the Bay Area. It’s neither fair nor rational to subsidize a few lucky ones while others have to move away.

Vote no on the $310M housing bond measure. A fortune is will be spent to build a small number of affordable units… in the most expensive city in the US! E.g. the 490 South Van Ness Avenue project; cost per unit: $889K. Meanwhile, the tax-paying citizens are dealing with high crime, rampant car break ins, disgusting filthy streets and a huge homeless problem.. all ruining the quality of life in SF.
:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

:jerryseinfeldgettingupandwalkingout.gif:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"loving renters are relying on laws to keep their cost of living artificially low! :argh:"
- Someone whose property taxes are calculated based on what their house was worth in 1975.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

withak posted:

"loving renters are relying on laws to keep their cost of living artificially low! :argh:"
- Someone whose property taxes are calculated based on what their house was worth in 1975.

Aye :(

Not only those those, but recent residents who are not so subtley getting mad about all the people who've lived here for decades being able to stay because "They don't right to live here!! It's ruining my world class fun-playground for me!! Why don't they just move away??"

Also gently caress SFGate holy poo poo.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Xaris posted:

Not only those those, but recent residents who are not so subtley getting mad about all the people who've lived here for decades

They're doing us a favor. There's nothing worse than a person who has lived in SF for more than 15 years.

I miss my "you can't spell insufferable without SF" t-shirt from a time when it was perfectly acceptable to hate on native San Franciscoans. Now they're some kind of weird protected species.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Jamais Vu Again posted:

This won't change until we get away from fee-for-service which no procedural physician wants.
gently caress them.

"I became a doctor to help people take poo poo from sick people when they are the most desperate."

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TildeATH posted:

They're doing us a favor. There's nothing worse than a person who has lived in SF for more than 15 years.

I miss my "you can't spell insufferable without SF" t-shirt from a time when it was perfectly acceptable to hate on native San Franciscoans. Now they're some kind of weird protected species.

Those (usually) aren't the actual insufferable people :ssh:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

It never ceases to amaze me how up their asses San Franciscans get about how progressive they are, then turn around and act FYGM as gently caress when it comes to affordable housing or homeless issues.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ProperGanderPusher posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how up their asses San Franciscans get about how progressive they are, then turn around and act FYGM as gently caress when it comes to affordable housing or homeless issues.

They really are following the Nordic model.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

I dont live there, but its not that hard to understand the idea:

"Im glad I have nice things, and I also want other people to have nice things"

... is different than the idea:

"I will give up my nice things so that everyone can have mediocre things".

The lucky homeowners that want to keep the neighborhoods they moved into looking the way they did when they moved in are less to blame than giant companies flooding a geographically constrained area with their servants. Seattle is having the same problem. If Google, Amazon, etc moved to Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, or South Dakota, there would not be an unneeded housing crisis around their fiefdoms.

This should never have happened to begin with: "Average S.F. rent hits shocking new high: $3,458".

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The vast majority of comments on SFGate are not from San Franciscans or even likely Californians. Just by being SF, the articles are used as clickbait on all of the worst of conservative internet forums/sites. It's like 99% trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

FRINGE posted:

The lucky homeowners that want to keep the neighborhoods they moved into looking the way they did when they moved in are less to blame than giant companies flooding a geographically constrained area with their servants. Seattle is having the same problem. If Google, Amazon, etc moved to Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, or South Dakota, there would not be an unneeded housing crisis around their fiefdoms.
:lol:

Yeah, because Google could totally move their headquarters to Nebraska and get everyone to move there. Google, Amazon, et al. aren't in the expensive, desirable cities because they love having to pay expensive office rents and huge salaries to match housing costs in the area. They're in those cities because that's where most good developers are or want to live.

This is so incredibly true that tons of Googlers who work in Mountain View endure a horrifyingly bad commute from SF and somehow even higher rents than MTV because that's how much they want to live in a real city. If they can't even stomach living in the South Bay or Peninsula, how do you think Google could get them to move to Kansas?

NIMBYs are absolutely to blame for the housing crisis. They got in and then decided to shut the door behind themselves. Sure, it's rational on some level for them to oppose more density, just like it's rational on some level for the affluent to vote for social welfare cuts and more tax cuts for themselves. That doesn't mean it's an ok thing to do. NIMBYs are using rising housing costs to fund their retirement off the backs of the young.